Duke4.net Forums: "Fag" news? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"Fag" news?  "Are you shitting me???"

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Ever since it's conception, I have been a huge supporter of duke4.net and its founder, Yatta aka Robert R. I have had a lot of respect in the past for Yatta and found him to be decent and admirable human being based on some limited communications via the 3DR forums.

All of that ends today.

http://www.duke4.net...omment.news.434

Yes, I'm aware that the "FAG News" headline was meant as a joke(albeit an ill-conceived one) and not as a vicious attack against homosexuals- although you can never be entirely certain of someone else's true motives- but regardless, I am horrified and disgusted by the atrocious judgment used by Yatta when writing that particular news item.

I have a number of gay friends who would be extremely offended by such filth...hell, I myself am offended and I'm only bi-curious.

Yes, I know damn well that if you're looking for 100% political correctness, a Duke Nukem fansite is NOT the place to go.

But this just crossed the line by a clear mile- even for something Duke-related...

I'm positive that Randy Pitchford, Gearbox, Take2 and everybody else officially associated with DNF would not want their number one fan site- run by a guy whom they gave exclusive access to play the game- publicly calling their critics one of the most vile, discriminating, hate-filled and downright nasty of slurs in existence to humankind.

I've already sent an e-mail to Randy about it and have contacted several other people high in command of the Duke IP, as this sort of inexcusable conduct cannot go unnoticed or unpunished.

I could never understand why activists and human-rights groups would get all bent out of shape about the Duke Nukem franchise- until now, that is.

What Yatta did only adds fuel to their arguments and gives them more reason to hate us, in addition to helping them garner more followers.

Way to make us look bad, Yatta.

Never thought I'd actually see the day when I am ashamed to be a Duke Nukem fan. ;)

Why be embarresed by the fact that you are a "fag". The only reason why it is amusing, is because you make it so. You should watch he southpark episode about "fags".

User is offline   Alithinos 

You sound more upset than the feminists. ;)

anyway,here are some fags:
Posted Image

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

@Jhect The South Park episode is brilliant.

Meh, don't get your panties in a bunch.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 27 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

User is offline   SwissCm 

You should stop using South Park as your primary source of political views.

The OP is right, it's pretty offensive to use the word Fag on a news post in a derogatory way.

• I have the power!

Fag is a term for cigarettes, gay is an adjective describing happiness. Duke is politically incorrect; the day Duke becomes politically correct is the day Duke ceases to be Duke. Are you demanding that people be hypocritical? Support Duke but then be upset about political incorrectness? I call bull shit.

The only thing offensive is the deliberate targeting of Fox News. If I cared, I'd be offended by his assault on a news source I sometimes on occssion use.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 27 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Fag is a disparaging term for gays and you know it.

The Political Incorrectness in Duke is done in the name of harmless fun with no malice involved, the use of Fag in the news article just a re-enforces the use of the word Fag, meaning homosexual in a negative context.

This post has been edited by SwissCm: 27 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

• I have the power!

Because they let it bother them. I don't get upset about terms like cracker or misogynist or even elitist. Why? Because I have a self esteem and a spine.

I didn't use southpark as my political source. I used it as an example of my view. How can you mix up those things? Don't tell us what to know...

View PostMr.Flibble, on Mar 28 2011, 07:23 AM, said:

Because they let it bother them. I don't get upset about terms like cracker or misogynist or even elitist. Why? Because I have a self esteem and a spine.

"Crackers", Misogynists and elitists don't have thousands of years of oppression and hate to deal with. Homosexuals are still a minority that has to deal with a lot of hateful abuse.

View PostSwissCm, on Mar 27 2011, 11:26 PM, said:

"Crackers", Misogynists and elitists don't have thousands of years of oppression and hate to deal with. Homosexuals are still a minority that has to deal with a lot of hateful abuse.

Keep in mind that we aren't hateful ;)

User is offline   Alithinos 

Even if fag is a bad way to call someone gay,why is anybody else except Fox News offended ?

I generally don't hate gays,but can understand why Yatta called them fags and I aprove.

View PostJhect, on Mar 28 2011, 07:29 AM, said:

I'm not saying you are. Ignorant to how hurtful the word can be, but I don't think there is any deliberate malice towards gays going on here.

Isn't calling them Fox News offensive enough anyway?

This post has been edited by SwissCm: 27 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

• "Dick Nasty"

Seems like we have a lot of either ignorant and uninformed or flat-out homophobic people on here, save SwissCm.

I'm honestly disappointed with the overall response I'm getting.

I'm also pretty embarrassed at this point to be associated with this bullshit nonsense, e.g. citing South Park as valid case for an opposing argument.

Jhect, you are one dumb fucker and I feel pretty sorry for you having to go through life with such a lack of intelligence and such warped reasoning.

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostJhect, on Mar 27 2011, 01:29 PM, said:

You called me a "fag" in the first reply to this thread and now you preach that you "aren't hateful". You're even more mentally retarded than I had initially thought.

Anyone who supports the usage of such a derogatory term is by definition a hateful person. And that's not just my opinion, that's a fact.

• I have the power!

View PostSwissCm, on Mar 27 2011, 05:26 PM, said:

I'll pretend that homosexuality is a natural genetic disposition for this response; Homosexuals have not had "thousands of years" of oppression. Holy hyperbolic bull shit, Batman! At most, a few centuries of taboo and maybe a century of actual oppression.
Assuming, once again, that homosexuality is genetic (something yet to be demonstrated and highly doubtful), they are minority because it is a failed evolutionary trait. The fact that homosexuality persists despite evolution indicates that it isn't genetic nor evolutionary.

If anyone can claim thousands of years of oppression, it is either the Jews or left handed people. Since I'm left handed, I'm more oppressed than you.

OK, now there is deliberate malice towards gays going on.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDuke Rocks, on Mar 27 2011, 05:33 PM, said:

Seems like we have a lot of either ignorant and uninformed or flat-out homophobic people on here, save SwissCm.

I'm honestly disappointed with the overall response I'm getting.

I'm also pretty embarrassed at this point to be associated with this bullshit nonsense, e.g. citing South Park as valid case for an opposing argument.

Jhect, you are one dumb fucker and I feel pretty sorry for you having to go through life with such a lack of intelligence and such warped reasoning.

In Canada we have what is called the Human Rights Commission, that infringes on basic Freedom of Expressions. There is a satire out there called 1984. It depicts political correctness in the ultimate form. You have the right to express your views about a given word, but even so I live in Canada, I refuse point blank anyone the right to tell another what and how to express his/her own views.

If you are a fag, tough. If you are a homo sapient with homosexual preferences, you may or may not be a fag. Since the word fag upsets you, then you may the stereo typical fag. At least your latest post points into this direction. ;)

• I have the power!

View PostSwissCm, on Mar 27 2011, 05:46 PM, said:

OK, now there is deliberate malice towards gays going on.

You got a problem with facts?

The term and concept "homosexual" has only existed for a few centuries; To say that they have had thousands of years of oppression would be like saying that Mac and PC have been competing for centuries.
If your citation for "thousands of years" is from something like Leviticus 18, then, sure, one incredibly small group of people were pro-natalist and felt that if sex didn't produce children, then it was an abomination. The laws in Leviticus 17-26 (called the Holiness Code) was written around the 5th or 4th century BC(E) and stands as an exceptional set of laws regarding sexual and ritual purity. Exceptional in that it is abnormal not only for the ancient near east but the ancient world in general. The laws in Lev. 18 and 20 are primarily concerned with reproduction.(See Jacob Milgrom, Anchor Bible Commentary on Leviticus)

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 27 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

You can't avoid the fact that you are a fag. You guys clearly have a problem against nonfag people.

The way you react to my post, proves that you are a fag. Not gay.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 27 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm sorry to have offended you; I sincerely apologize. Some people got it because they understand I said it in this sense.

It's really a subjective thing. I too have gay friends, but they don't mind this. On the other hand, I can see how those who don't know me or don't understand the underlying tone would take it the wrong way. I can also understand why it'd be offensive even if you DO understand where I'm coming from.

I guess my intent doesn't matter so long as the perception is vulnerable to criticism (on obvious grounds), but I stand by it.

I respect your opposing point of view and I'm sorry to see you leave should decide we're overly politically incorrect--but sometimes going over the top has repercussions which I have come to accept. I take full responsibility.

Thank you for informing Gearbox/2K. I'm sure I'd want to know what my #1 fan site is publishing if I were in their position, too. ;)

Yea. We are all sorry that he left the site ;)

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostYatta, on Mar 27 2011, 03:12 PM, said:

Sorry to offend you. Some people got it because they understand I said it in this sense.

It's really a subjective thing. I too have gay friends, but they don't mind this. On the other hand, I can see how those who don't know me or don't understand the underlying tone would take it the wrong way. I can also understand why it'd be offensive even if you DO understand where I'm coming from.

I guess my intent doesn't matter so long as the perception is vulnerable to criticism (on obvious grounds), but I stand by it.

I respect your opposing point of view and I'm sorry to see you leave should decide we're overly politically incorrect--but sometimes going over the top has repercussions which I have come to accept. I take full responsibility.

Thank you for informing Gearbox/2K. I'm sure I'd want to know what my #1 fan site is publishing if I were in their position, too. ;)

Several things to say:

1. I accept your apology, Yatta. I don't see you as a bigot or anything, but I still believe the news title was inappropriate.
2. I don't watch South Park on a regular basis, so yes, that "joke" went right over my head. ;)
3. I didn't contact Gearbox or anyone else, for that matter. It was a simple bluff on my behalf to induce fear, i.e. scare tactics.
4. I probably came off sounding more vicious than I should have....it was a shitty day for me and I should have shown more restraint in my posts.
5. I actually originally started this thread with the best interests of the Duke community in mind. I don't agree with most of what is said about DNF and Duke 3D in regards to all of the controversy and negativity claiming how "harmful" the games are to our youth. I felt as though if we are trying to convince any neutral parties that Duke isn't nearly as bad as our opposition insists it is, bringing up the "F" word in a rebuttal is a very counter-productive move which will only give our(and Duke's enemies) reason to say "See? Told ya so!" Since the term "fag" is universally accepted as hate speech, it makes the whole argument look like a black and white case to outsiders. We, the Duke fans are a threat to society with our raunchy game and now we're calling people who happen to take issue with it "fags"? I see most things as NOT black and white, and while the overwhelming portion of me agrees with the Duke Nukem side of the equation, I can also see where the crazy feminists and questionable news sources are coming from when they make accusations of intolerance. It doesn't make them right, but to people not familiar with the contexts of certain jokes and whatnot, we'll come off looking like a fag-hating, woman-beating, group of menaces who need to be shut the fuck up before we contaminate our impressionable young ones who will then grow up to massacre their high schools all because they were exposed to The Ultimate Alien Ass-Kicker. ;)

User is offline   randir14 

-edit- nvm

This post has been edited by randir14: 27 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostDuke Rocks, on Mar 27 2011, 03:47 PM, said:

Several things to say:

1. I accept your apology, Yatta. I don't see you as a bigot or anything, but I still believe the news title was inappropriate.
2. I don't watch South Park on a regular basis, so yes, that "joke" went right over my head. rolleyes.gif
3. I didn't contact Gearbox or anyone else, for that matter. It was a simple bluff on my behalf to induce fear, i.e. scare tactics.
4. I probably came off sounding more vicious than I should have....it was a shitty day for me and I should have shown more restraint in my posts.
5. I actually originally started this thread with the best interests of the Duke community in mind. I don't agree with most of what is said about DNF and Duke 3D in regards to all of the controversy and negativity claiming how "harmful" the games are to our youth. I felt as though if we are trying to convince any neutral parties that Duke isn't nearly as bad as our opposition insists it is, bringing up the "F" word in a rebuttal is a very counter-productive move which will only give our(and Duke's enemies) reason to say "See? Told ya so!" Since the term "fag" is universally accepted as hate speech, it makes the whole argument look like a black and white case to outsiders. We, the Duke fans are a threat to society with our raunchy game and now we're calling people who happen to take issue with it "fags"? I see most things as NOT black and white, and while the overwhelming portion of me agrees with the Duke Nukem side of the equation, I can also see where the crazy feminists and questionable news sources are coming from when they make accusations of intolerance. It doesn't make them right, but to people not familiar with the contexts of certain jokes and whatnot, we'll come off looking like a fag-hating, woman-beating, group of menaces who need to be shut the fuck up before we contaminate our impressionable young ones who will then grow up to massacre their high schools all because they were exposed to The Ultimate Alien Ass-Kicker. laugh.gif

Glad to see your response and thank you. ;)

You're right, the "Fag News" logo might come off the wrong way--so what I did was to actually add the South Park reference within the news post so people will understand the post has nothing to do with homosexuals.

It must be nice to be of a color, race, religion, whatever, gender... that can just flash their politically-correct ID whenever something rubs them the wrong way so they can cry oppression whenever they want something. It's the adult version of what children do when they throw a temper tantrum.

Just imagine what kind of a reaction there'd be if heterosexuals ever wanted to have a pride parade, or if there were ever a 'white music awards.' You think those communities wouldn't go on a march screaming bigotry all the way to city hall - even though its something that they feel is well within their rights? Yeah, that's equality. Stop discriminating. ;)

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 27 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDuke Rocks, on Mar 27 2011, 11:07 PM, said:

Never thought I'd actually see the day when I am ashamed to be a Duke Nukem fan. ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Duke4Caution.jpg

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostDuke Rocks, on Mar 27 2011, 02:47 PM, said:

TERRORISM!!!!

you are so reported buddy

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDuke Rocks, on Mar 27 2011, 06:33 PM, said:

This, is just ..... ugh. Seriously? I don't even...

It's ignorant to take offense to something that wasn't targeted at you, or gays at all. The word is innocent in and of itself, it's the CONTEXT that matters!
(I'd suggest you watch George Carlin's routines on our language, 'offensive words' and their context. He's an intelligent man with a mastery of the English language and needs to be heard by everyone.)

(These aren't the clips I was looking for, but are relevant)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=71fuKrD2FvQ
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KLKTFxA8ENU
http://www.youtube.c...Nk_kzQCclo&NR=1

I simply do not care about the article's title, and it rather got a chuckle out of me because Fox news IS indeed filled with a bunch of "fags". (In this given point and time and context, the meaning and context has boiled down to "Blooming bunch of clueless fucking idiots", rather than "Homosexuals".)

By the way, before responding, keep in mind you are speaking to a bisexual. I've taken copious amounts of direct abuse because of it.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 27 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostStrikerMan780, on Mar 27 2011, 05:36 PM, said:

(I'd suggest you watch George Carlin's routines on our language, 'offensive words' and their context. He's an intelligent man with a mastery of the English language and needs to be heard by everyone.)

I worship George Carlin. ;)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options