Duke4.net Forums: RELEASE: IT LIVES - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE: IT LIVES  "The most eagerly awaited usermap!"

User is offline   Spiker 

This is the best map ever released for Duke. Though I'm really surprised someone put so much effort and time not being even paid for it.

User is offline   Gambini 

Thanks Spiker. I do it for the love of art.

You still can gift me a fat donation if that makes it less surprising. :dukegoof:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sorry to bump this, and sorry to play this so late, but I must say that this is one of the best maps I have ever played, the effects are pretty awesome, and this definitely contends for best horror map. If you're an idiot and haven't played it yet like me, go ahead and do it now.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

*Or play it again anyway.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 18 July 2011 - 09:30 PM, said:

Sorry to bump this, and sorry to play this so late, but I must say that this is one of the best maps I have ever played, the effects are pretty awesome, and this definitely contends for best horror map. If you're an idiot and haven't played it yet like me, go ahead and do it now.

Indeed. IMO, easily one of the best user made map for DN3D, hell, for any game for that matter. It's that good. :(

A few days ago I got a severe flu with tons of fever and had a revelation. I quit all forms of modding until further notice. So this is not the kind of read that helps to my cause right now :( but thanks anyway guys :(

Gambini, your work is brilliant!

I seem to be stuck at the
Spoiler

Any help is appreciated. I'd love to be able to finish this wonderful map.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postburymeinsmoke, on 17 August 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

Gambini, your work is brilliant!

I seem to be stuck at the
Spoiler

Any help is appreciated. I'd love to be able to finish this wonderful map.

If I remember correctly, you have to go to the side of the door you just opened and shoot another button through it to open the door you were originally at.

Radar1013 is right, you have to shoot the other switch, from the gap left by the partially opened door.

I appreciate your words ;) I kinda love this map too :) which is strange because i tend to detest my own releases after some time.

Thank you Radar/Gambini. I honestly have no clue how I missed that button.

Unfortunately, I have a new problem.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by burymeinsmoke: 20 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Once you entered the red keycard the door next to it will open slowly, maybe you didnt notice it because you was fighting the lizmans. But once you´re done with them you have to enter that door and keep going.

Thank you! I just couldn't find the switch to open the ladder. Sorry for asking such silly questions. I'll give you more detailed impressions once I'm finished

User is offline   Paul B 

IT LIVES!

The absolute best single player Duke map of all time should not be forgotten while buried in the forums. I am bumping this map topic on the forum because it is a timeless map and an absolute master piece. It will not be forgotten in the Duke community. Truly, a person can't fully appreciate a map like this until they attempt to create a high caliber map. This map is loaded with original ideas, bells and whistles while keeping to the guidelines of the original game. Personally, I don't think it's possible to create anything better. This map has upped the ante for all Duke maps out there. Gambini you are amazing and I appreciate your work very much.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

An amazing map for sure. Here's an old review in case someone still needs convincing: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotitlives.php

Hell! I thought nobody cared about it anymore :(

I´m glad you liked it so much Paul. It was a hell of a work to do it, and probably the thing I´m most proud of in my modding life. I have once started a PDF named It Lives: Raising the bar Afterthoughts. In which I wanted to explain what moved me to do it and all the direct and indirect influences I took when building it, how the progress went and what were left behind and such. I may continue it if there´s some interest.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do it! I'd love to read it! Posted Image

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 18 July 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Do it! I'd love to read it! Posted Image

I second that! It would provide us mappers with some insight as to what inspired you to create this map and how your plan came into action. I would love to read the behind the scenes! It is one thing to be inspired by something its a totally different story when trying to capture that idea inside the mapster world. You did a great job. Lets unfold this book!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

You could also include screenshots of earlier versions, with areas that did not make it into the released map. That would be quite interesting.

Also interested in this PDF idea, it would be interesting (also possibly disturbing) to look into the mind of Gambini.

The Gambini is glad people have shown interest in his writtings. The Gambini will resume work on the book. But he wants to warn people that, as the map, it´s going to take quite a time.

User is offline   MetHy 

You don't have to write a BOOK

these devellopers often write short articles which aren't very long but always very interesting : http://frictionalgames.blogspot.fr/

User is offline   Mark 

"The Gambini"
Sounds lke his ego won't fit through the door now after all this attention. :(

This post has been edited by Marked: 23 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

I wont write an actual book. It was going to be a PDF so I could upload it somewhere for people. I don´t have a site like that one. to write it there. And making a simple post would probably go unnoticed.

User is online   zykov eddy 

You can ask Mikko, I bet he'll upload your file on MSDN

I don´t trust that guy.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah I wouldn't want his filth polluting my site, been considering removing his maps from the site as well.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I could probably get Puritan to host it at CGS, but I never received any credit for alpha-testing while it was still in development.

Think I'll join Mikko's crusade and see if we can obliterate anything mentioning Gambini. If nobody can find any reference to him, then he doesn't exist.

But--you just mentioned him!

ALL JOIN MASTER MIKKO! *Bows in front of giant creepy picture of Sandt*

User is offline   Martin 

Fuck Mikko. I got Gambini's back! XD

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMartin, on 25 July 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Fuck Mikko. I got Gambini's back! XD

Okay guys get back to mapping shesh! Everything on these forums always lead to a fight.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options