Duke4.net Forums: Invisible walls being hit - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invisible walls being hit  "in large outdoor areas"

I've noticed this happening both recently and on very old levels when I tried to build maps with huge exterior rooms. It seems 'magical' boundaries suddenly spring up can get hit by weapons fire. I'm guessing this actually does block the hitscan weapon from going further, but either way, the visual result is bullethole decals floating in the air. And this is not caused by a blocking wall because this always happens where there isn't even a sector boundary.

Obviously this is fixable because I've seen plenty of maps with large spaces in which this doesn't happen. Anyone got an explanation for this?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Weird. Use DNDEBUG when this happens and upload the resulting map here.

Tested it a bit more... it blocks hitscan weapons, mightyfoot, and you can even stick a trip mine on it. Everything else passes through unhindered, including Duke.

And... I'm not allowed to upload files apparently. Noob member limitation?

Had to remote link it. Here it is.

This "wall" seems to stretch from one end of the map to the other along that plane marked by the decals.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 20 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 06:52 PM, said:

And... I'm not allowed to upload files apparently. Noob member limitation?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tried changing the extension to .txt too just to see what happened, and got the same result.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 20 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Did you try put it in a .zip?

Ah, that worked. Thx. Would've been nice if the error message said that. ;) Compression seemed pretty silly for an 8k file.

Anyhow, about the map.

The main sector is WAY to big, notice how the top and bottom lines are BLUE in mapster?
This indicates that they are beyond the recommend length, you need to split the sectors up.

When trying to make a map like that in a massive sector you are bound to run into visual glitches (sectors disappearing etc) as well as the one you said above.

Does the blue line actually indicate the room itself being too big or merely the length of the wall? I've poked around maps that have sectors that size and larger without any glitching like what I encountered. The only difference being that there are more walls making up the sector (like an octagon) instead of just a big square.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 20 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

You just don't make walls that big, before mapster came out, if you made a wall that long you could no longer do anything with it unless you made it smaller.

It does not turn blue for looks, and yes the sector is to big. It needs to be divided to stop any issues from happing.

Nice. Shrinking the sector until the blue lines vanished got rid of the glitch. Thanks. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options