Duke4.net Forums: Is Duke Nukem Forever Demo going to be released on 1st April 2011? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Duke Nukem Forever Demo going to be released on 1st April 2011?  "What is your opinion?"

Poll: What is your opinion? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Duke Nukem Forever Demo going to be released on 1st April 2011?

1. Yes (24 votes [58.54%])

Percentage of vote: 58.54%

2. No (17 votes [41.46%])

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Honza 

Simple question:
Is Duke Nukem Forever Demo going to be released on 1st April 2011?
option 1 = Yes
option 2 = No

Besides hitting yes/no please say why do you think that ;)

User is offline   Honza 

I chose Yes, because I think it will make great publicity and thus it's good for marketing. I remember that it used to be joke for years that DNF beta has "leaked"...

i shoud say probably not due to the fact that it be only a month away from its relase date.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postduke4everman, on Mar 18 2011, 10:24 PM, said:

i shoud say probably not due to the fact that it be only a month away from its relase date.

A demo is good even way past a released game. Usually at the end of the demo would be info on where and how to purchase the full game. I found out about DN3D after playing the demo a year after its release.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I found out about the game after playing the demo 12 years after it was released.

Gearbox obviously has to do something big on April 1st, it's in the spirit of Duke, so why not make it the demo? I remember polymer was officially announced April 1st 2009 (although plagman said it was a directx 10 renderer instead of openGL in that case)

User is offline   randir14 

I think an April 1st demo release would have to be the public demo, not the FAC demo. Otherwise the majority of people who aren't FAC members won't care, and the stunt would be ruined. So no I don't think anything will come out on April 1st.

This post has been edited by randir14: 18 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

• Honored Donor

Your post makes no sense. The whole point of a demo being released on april 1st is that when people find out, they'll tell their friends, and their friends might not believe them because it's april fools. Therefore for this disbelief to occur, people must have *no* idea that the demo is coming. If the demo comes out, it has to come out at least a day in advance for the first access club. This means that as soon as the demo hits the first access club, word will spread and people are going to know about it, so that when the public demo is released, it'll be easy to assume it's the real deal. So the public demo can't come out april 1st.

Although you're right that the majority of non FAC members won't care/will be really annoyed.

No because of one reason. They FEAR piracy and will hold back the demo as long as possible. My guess is a couple of days before official launch of the retail version.

This post has been edited by DI-MeisterM: 18 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDI-MeisterM, on Mar 19 2011, 12:45 AM, said:

No because of one reason. They FEAR piracy and will hold back the demo as long as possible. My guess is a couple of days before official launch of the retail version.

What exactly does the DEMO have to do with piracy? The game will be pirated whether a demo is put out or not.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Mar 19 2011, 12:06 PM, said:

What exactly does the DEMO have to do with piracy? The game will be pirated whether a demo is put out or not.

They can use the .EXE information of the demo for retail.

User is offline   You 

A Russian gaming store has listed "access to the demo four weeks before the games release" as part of their pre order bonus.

I've a bad flu and can't go into more info, just giving you guys a heads up.

Yeah that was posted on the gearbox forums. April the 6th it said.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 19 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

I think April 1st would be a funny date to release the demo, that's why I picked yes.

I have to say though, I am fairly annoyed with GBX, during the original PAX reveal they were going on about how everyone has to try a demo to believe it is real, that they will release a public demo as well and that it is an important thing to do. Yet, the game is coming out in a month and a half, and we still don't have the promised demo. This demo should have happened 4 months ago!

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostDI-MeisterM, on Mar 19 2011, 03:33 AM, said:

They can use the .EXE information of the demo for retail.

lol.

User is offline   z0mb1e 

View PostRaziel, on Mar 19 2011, 10:11 AM, said:

I think April 1st would be a funny date to release the demo, that's why I picked yes.

I have to say though, I am fairly annoyed with GBX, during the original PAX reveal they were going on about how everyone has to try a demo to believe it is real, that they will release a public demo as well and that it is an important thing to do. Yet, the game is coming out in a month and a half, and we still don't have the promised demo. This demo should have happened 4 months ago!

AND, we have yet to hear anything new about the demo, see any Official gameplay videos other than the trailer, very little news about the multiplayer, and that's about it.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Not being a big console gamer, how long do demos usually come out (say, for something like Bulletstorm or DeadSpace 2) before the proper retail release?

I too am getting concerned. There are posters everywhere in Game for Portal 2, Gears 3 and other titles that will come out after April the 3rd and no mention whatsoever of Duke.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 19 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

View Postzwieback, on Mar 19 2011, 03:22 PM, said:

lol.

You'll see, they'll hold it back.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

My gut is saying they won't put it out on April 1st.

User is offline   ferran275 

I say yes, April 1st has always been special in terms of Duke, and what better way to give us the demo than to make it a big joke? We all know the game was supposed to go gold on April 1st, so why not give us a little present a month before release? makes perfect sense to me, or maybe they say its been canceled or something to get us riled up then give us the demo on the 3rd, exactly one month from release.

I'm almost positive they have something planned, I've been right on everything else so far, we'll see about this...

This post has been edited by ferran275: 19 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

View PostCommando Nukem, on Mar 19 2011, 03:06 AM, said:

If someone pirates this game, they're a dick

lol

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Postferran275, on Mar 19 2011, 01:09 PM, said:

If someone pirates this game, they're a dick

lol

Unfortunately people will, but I think people should show some respect for The King.

• Honored Donor

View PostRaziel, on Mar 19 2011, 11:41 PM, said:

If the demo was released 4 months ago, people litterally would have played the level segments to death, and when it comes to playing those bits in the actual game they'd be bored as hell!

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

From Gearbox forum:

CN_EaglE said:

I have good news, in Russia you can pre-order Duke Nukem Forever, the site of the official Distributors, wrote the following: All users who have made pre-orders for Duke Nukem Forever through our site gain access to the First Access Club, closed resources with exclusive materials about the game, as well as a closed demo game for four weeks before the official start of sales!
99.9% Demo in april.

View PostFox Mulder, on Mar 19 2011, 09:03 PM, said:

From Gearbox forum:

another slip up from another small game retailer, just like the BoS edition early misfire we got ;)

I think they know everyone will expect the demo on April 1st. So when (if) they say there will be an announcement made on that day, people will be thinking "Yea! Demo"! Here's the April Fools joke. A new trailer/TV commercial is released! Mind you, it's a probability.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

2 scenarios:

Next week (April 25th) FAC release of demo. Demo for everyone else April 1.

April 1 FAC release of demo, everyone else gets it a week later: April 8.

Sound good?

View Postkaisersoze, on Mar 20 2011, 01:40 AM, said:

2 scenarios:

Next week (April 25th) FAC release of demo. Demo for everyone else April 1.

April 1 FAC release of demo, everyone else gets it a week later: April 8.

Sound good?

I like the first scenario! ;)

• Honored Donor

I haven't gotten my FAC code from EB games yet and it's been 2 weeks since I preordered it. They said they'd email it to me shortly ;)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

I come home from thailand 2 days after it is released in europe. And i want to play the game the same day i come home. But i am not sure if my PC will be able to run it, and i would rather play it on PC than PS3. So a demo before i go to thailand 2 weeks before release date is crucial for me xD

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostMicky C, on Mar 19 2011, 11:37 PM, said:

I haven't gotten my FAC code from EB games yet and it's been 2 weeks since I preordered it. They said they'd email it to me shortly ;)

Be persistent, keep bugging them (in person) until you get it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options