Duke4.net Forums: Piece of DNF's history - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Piece of DNF's history

User is offline   yossa 

For some reason this appeared in my mailbox yesterday:

Posted Image
Not pictured: a much less interesting padded envelope this one was enclosed in.

Inside there was some random stuff you'd find on the desks of 3D Realms office in its heyday:

Posted Image
Posted Image
The pen is a Planet of The Babes promo item. Poker chips are different from ones I've seen in photos. Notepads are empty :P

Now for the coolest part. 1999 Christmas card, notice the similarities with the current version of Alien Queen - boxing ring and all!
Posted Image
(front)
Posted Image
(inside, click for big)

This is the 2000 card, it's large ;)

Posted Image
(front)

Posted Image
(inside, click for big)

Posted Image
(back)

I remember visiting 3DR's site over 11 years ago and seeing Joe's news posts about these cards. And then the shitstorm about the "Coming when it's done in 2001" part ;)
I hope you've enjoyed this archaeological escapade ;)

User is offline   Sebastian 

Thanks for sharing this. Very amusing, love that Christmas poem!

User is offline   yossa 

On gbx forums there's already conspiracy brewing that Gearbox sent this to me ;) Not true. I got it because of some stuff that dates back to 2006 iirc.

View Postyossa, on Mar 15 2011, 12:56 PM, said:

On gbx forums there's already conspiracy brewing that Gearbox sent this to me ;) Not true. I got it because of some stuff that dates back to 2006 iirc.

I seem to remember seeing the Elf Devs pic somewhere before.

User is offline   FlemmingM 

This is pretty damn awesome

Nice

I'm just wondering why you got this promo stuff NOW from the kinda defunct 3DR?! ;)

User is offline   yossa 

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Mar 15 2011, 07:28 PM, said:

I'm just wondering why you got this promo stuff NOW from the kinda defunct 3DR?! ;)

Well, 3DR's time is like Valve time only squared ;)

No worries yossa... the secrecy isn't needed. Don't need to have everyone thinking 3DR or Gearbox are doing something official (and thus maybe people expecting more).

I used to run a forum on my page and right before leaving 3DR I had put on a "10 year anniversary Duke 3D Trivia Contest". The five guys who won I promised some Duke related goodies to. It just took me a while to follow through on my promise. Nothing more... just a "Love you... haven't forgotten you" gesture with some stuff I have had hanging around that I thought they would like.

Das ist alles. ;)

User is offline   yossa 

There you go guys. Charlie is the best.

User is offline   ferran275 

OH MY GOD....

this is major motion picture stuff here people...

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Wow, thanks for sharing all that with us!

"The sound of progress" is kind of sad when you think of the fade out and the caption of "Ten Years Later" ;)

But it's still awesome stuff.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Nice stripper ;)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Charlie, in his infinite awesomeness, dropped off a bunch of cool Duke stuff at my house so I can use them for contests on Duke4.net.

We'll do 'em as soon as I have time. ;)

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Virgin Duke Nukem 3D PC box, Gearbox leather bound notepad keeper, Gearbox
3 ring binder, Brand new Duke Nukem 3D mousepad, poker chips, Duke Nukem pen, 3drealms paper pads:

Posted Image

Duke Nukem "Alien shot" glass. Notice the etched in Nuke symbol? It also says
"Come get some" at the bottom(can't see it in the picture)

Posted Image

Official Duke Nukem Forever and Max Payne E3 2001 dvd:

Posted Image
Posted Image

PC Gamer Duke Nukem Forever issues, 3drealms Christmas card

Posted Image

Close up of the Christmas card

Posted Image

Meet Specimen 5-6 a.k.a. "Jack" Does he look familiar?

Posted Image

Jack relaxing

Posted Image

I'm not usually an emotional guy but Charlie almost brought me to tears
when I opened up the box that had all these treasures. :P

The most prized treasure is the Alien whom according to Charlie was used by the 3drealms team as reference for the alien design seen here:

Posted Image

Charlie says that the design team often took him to parties and is considered a good luck charm. He's also one of a kind.

I've already given him a back story.

Speciman 5-6 was found strapped to a dissection table in Area 51 while Duke was busy fending off the base from an alien attack. Duke would normally blow aliens away but was shocked when the alien asked Duke if he had a cigar or bottle of Jack Daniels he could spare! Duke freed him and named him "Jack".

Jack went on to explain to Duke that he was sent by his planet located in Nebula M-77 to chart the Milky Way galaxy and study other life forms. Jack was in the middle of studying Earth when he recieved a distress signal from his planet that it was being over run by Octobrains and a Cycloid Emperor. He then lost contact with his planet. Without a place to go, he tried landing in the Nevada desert only to be met by EDF forces who took him into custody. The Cycloid emperor traced Jack's ship to Area 51 and began attacking the base, which brought Duke into the fight. This is when Duke came across Jack and freed him from being anally probed and worse. ;)

Duke had a new ally in Jack. Jack serves as an advisor to Duke on alien tech
and tactics. He also loves to go to strip clubs with Duke(in disguise of course) and chain smokes cigars while downing Jack Daniels whiskey. ;)

My sincere, heartfelt thanks to Charlie for being such an awesome guy. Know that Jack and all the other goodies are in another loving home! ;)

Always believe and never give up,

Love,
Kaiser:dukeego:

This post has been edited by kaisersoze: 16 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

Wow thats amazing! Weider you hero!

its all coming together people, its amazing I'm even witnessing it all, soon the wait will be over

View Postferran275, on Mar 16 2011, 08:25 AM, said:

its all coming together people, its amazing I'm even witnessing it all, soon the wait will be over

Couldn't have said it better myself. I remember saying "Now I get to enjoy DNF coming out as a fan rather than a developer" a few years back and... "Damn... it's feelin' good!"

Edit: Oh... and *great* back story for the Alien, Kaiser. ;)

<3 and have fun!
Charlie

This post has been edited by Wieder: 16 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

IS DIS DA REAL ROSSWELL GREY?!

oOo

;)

Speciman 5-6 was found strapped to a dissection table in Area 51 while Duke was busy fending off the base from an alien attack. Duke would normally blow aliens away but was shocked when the alien asked Duke if he had a cigar or bottle of Jack Daniels he could spare! Duke freed him and named him "Jack".

Jack went on to explain to Duke that he was sent by his planet located in Nebula M-77 to chart the Milky Way galaxy and study other life forms. Jack was in the middle of studying Earth when he recieved a distress signal from his planet that it was being over run by Octobrains and a Cycloid Emperor. He then lost contact with his planet. Without a place to go, he tried landing in the Nevada desert only to be met by EDF forces who took him into custody. The Cycloid emperor traced Jack's ship to Area 51 and began attacking the base, which brought Duke into the fight. This is when Duke came across Jack and freed him from being anally probed and worse. ;)

Duke had a new ally in Jack. Jack serves as an advisor to Duke on alien tech
and tactics. He also loves to go to strip clubs with Duke(in disguise of course) and chain smokes cigars while downing Jack Daniels whiskey. ;)

This reminds me of this movie: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hljxH-QJq1g
WOW was this part of an older DNF script?! I FUCKING HOPE THIS IS STILL IN DNF!!!! I would scream out of joy! :P

This post has been edited by Jobi-Wan Kenobi: 16 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

As a collector of Duke Nukem items, this is amazing! Thanks to all you guys for sharing these images. WOW!
So much great stuff there. ;)

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

Got my package of stuff as well. To lazy to take pictures right now but might later.

This is what was in it for anyone who is curious:

[*] VIP passes from release parties of Borderlands, Brothers in Arms and Age of Empires
[*] 3DR Realms post it notes
[*] 2 Christmas cards (pictured earlier in the thread)
[*] Gearbox photo (5 Guys) with signatures. Not sure who is who though. Maybe Charlie can educate me?
[*] Duke Nukem 3D mouse pad
[*] Duke Nukem coaster
[*] Poker chip
[*] Duke Nukem pen

The mouse pad and the Christmas card with all the signatures are my favs out of the stuff.

Edit: Forgot the pen.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 20 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Where do you guys get this stuff ?

View Postthemaniacboy, on Mar 20 2011, 10:32 AM, said:

Where do you guys get this stuff ?

yeah where's mine?!

kidding, kidding ;)

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

As mentioned by Charlie, he had a little Duke Nukem quiz back around Duke Nukem 3Ds 10th anniversary. This was also around the time he left 3D Realms so unless I recall wrong the initially planned prices was not practical any more (I don't even remember what the original prices where any more but it pretty much required him to be at 3DR still to make that work). He promised he would gather some kind of prices instead though. The stuff seen in this thread is Charlie following up on that promise.

Edit: Maybe the original prices where signed copies of DNF? Something like that anyway.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 20 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   Rayban 

I remember picking up that '97 PC Gamer and being so stoked to play DNF after reading the article. Still have the mag today! (And still stoked ;) )

View PostRayban, on Mar 21 2011, 11:31 PM, said:

I remember picking up that '97 PC Gamer and being so stoked to play DNF after reading the article. Still have the mag today! (And still stoked ;) )

I read it in the shop. Still remember thinking oh wow I forgot they promised a sequel at the end of Duke3D and thinking how amazing it would be.

User is offline   Rayban 

On the topic of collectables. Does anyone know how much a Manhattan Project keychain would be worth?
Posted Image

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostRayban, on Mar 21 2011, 09:04 PM, said:

On the topic of collectables. Does anyone know how much a Manhattan Project keychain would be worth?
Posted Image

Don't know, but I have one too.

View PostParkar, on Mar 20 2011, 10:00 AM, said:

[*] Gearbox photo (5 Guys) with signatures. Not sure who is who though. Maybe Charlie can educate me?

Glad it made it! The people are Keith Schuler (Gearbox), Kyle Davis (Valve), Daniel Phillips (Just finished Crysis 2), myself, and our "groupy" Ruben Cabrera (Gearbox). It's our Guitar Hero/Rock Band group called "Crab Shrapnel". Kaiser got one of the guitars we signed before we "broke up"... aka people changing companies. ;)

User is offline   Sharpie 

It's great to see the classic DNF media go out to the right people as it will mean so much more to them and will also be kept in a safe place for years to come as priceless momento.

Really is a touch of class from Charlie and whoever else was involved and most of all at the right time. Some of that early Duke art is amazing.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options