Duke4.net Forums: Closer Now More Than Ever? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Closer Now More Than Ever?

User is offline   Nukem 

With the recent release of the three DNF pcitures from Boussard, and the fact that 3D Realms had said that DNF would be released around or close to the release of Prey (which in DNF time is like years not decades) I think that we can expect a demo in March of 08. I'm hopeful of this, of course it's just a guess, or a theory better put, but it's still a possibility.

Just had a nightmare, what if Duke Nukem Forever turns out to be another Daikatana? :)

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

3D Realms is so obsessed with polish that I personally doubt the likelihood of DNF being another Daikatana level flop. As for a March '08 demo, well... George said 3D Realms would open the floodgates when it's about six months off.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostNukem, on Sep 20 2007, 08:16 PM, said:

and the fact that 3D Realms had said that DNF would be released around or close to the release of Prey

When did they say that?

User is offline   Nukem 

They said that becuase development of the two games started around the same time. What happened after that is pretty much just a mystery of why it's taking so long to finish DNF.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

I still think there's well over a year to go yet guys.

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

I'm sure that 3D Realms will release media of the game this year, just like George said they would. if George hadn't thought that they were going to release media this year than he wouldn't have said that they "are very likely" to show it, when he made that Shacknews comment. He knows that the communtity will take a comment like that very seriously, and take it as meaning that there's a 100% chance of it being shown. He would not have said it if he didn't already have something planned out for this year. So, I'm 100% sure that we will get DNF media before or on December 31, 2007. :) After media is released, it'll probably be a few months before release, so I still think it'll come out around summer 2008. B)

Well here is what George said:

We're very likely to show some stuff this year, maybe a lot, and resist the urge for screenshots bi-weekly. But, at this point, you all deserve to see more than screenshots, so we're waiting till the time is right so you see more than "Hey, look....pretty".

"some stuff" they DID show some stuff, he said "maybe a lot" but the "a lot" part wasn't related to the very likely part and had "maybe" as a qualifier.

ultra tree 85!, you have one thing very very right, that is that is no law of nature saying that hype period has be one full year. They still might go with 6 months.

User is offline   trackit 

View PostKristian Joensen, on Sep 22 2007, 03:02 PM, said:

Well here is what George said:

"some stuff" they DID show some stuff, he said "maybe a lot" but the "a lot" part wasn't related to the very likely part and had "maybe" as a qualifier.

ultra tree 85!, you have one thing very very right, that is that is no law of nature saying that hype period has be one full year. They still might go with 6 months.

When did he say that? Im not 100% sure but i was under impressoion that he said that AFTER releasing thumbnail. In that case he couldnt be referring to thumbnail screens as "we are very likely to show some stuff".

And even if it really was before those "screens" then still... George said very clearly that they where JUST for those job ads, NOTHING more. So i would still very much doubt that those screens count as "showing some stuff"

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View Posttrackit, on Sep 22 2007, 04:50 AM, said:

When did he say that? Im not 100% sure but i was under impressoion that he said that AFTER releasing thumbnail. In that case he couldnt be referring to thumbnail screens as "we are very likely to show some stuff".

Yes, he posted the Shacknews comment after releasing the first Duke thumbnail. The Shacknews comment was posted in April, so it was still before the pigcop and worm screenshots, but I agree that George probably was not talking about the thumbnails when he talked about showing stuff. I think he was talking about releasing full media in the form of large screenshots or videos this year. :)

User is offline   Lead 

View PostRoger, on Sep 20 2007, 05:25 PM, said:

3D Realms is so obsessed with polish that I personally doubt the likelihood of DNF being another Daikatana level flop.

That does make sense, he just said the other day something to the effect of the difference between an ok game and a great game is polish.

So that seems possible that is where they are going. Even in linear Duke3D levels people found themselves off exploring at times and stopping to look at things. So I'm wondering if that is something they are aiming for as well in DNF.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

I was vacationing out west earlier this month and I stopped at Hoover Dam. I wonder, if that level is still in the game and since it's supposed to be in the future, if 3DR has put the completed bridge in the game? It's far from done now, and I don't think it was even in the works when DNF was started.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I don't know if I am falling for that same old "reading too much into stuff" thing Joe talks about all the time, but has anyone else noticed that some threads that should have disappeared shortly after posting are still around?
I am primarily thinking of the "Dear George" thread. I was certain that I wouldn't be able to post once on that thing before Joe nuked it, but I was able to throw in 2 post. Absurd.
Maybe Joe is too busy playing Halo 3.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options