• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Post Thread

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

First, don't use Adblock. They re-enable ads from sites that pay them.

Use alternatives like Ublock.

And you can download extensions to disable the anti-blockers.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Never whitelist a website. In Chrome, just open an incognito tab.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

it's a hassle, but extensions like no-script or privacy badger can be used to cherry-pick what scripts & third-party sources are run & they can be set on a temporary or permanent basis.

e.g. I can allow duke4.net through, but block google-analytics.com on this site

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Jeff, ads are often used to directly pay for the server bills. It doesn't require a click necessarily.

Once a site reaches the point where you can't really home-host it due to traffic (or don't want to stress about a ghetto non-datacenter stuff breaking things), you kinda have to start paying for it.

If you have a stable full-time job on the side, it's doable, however I've seen cases where the original admin has long left "the scene" and mainly keeps the thing alive as long as it doesn't hurt financially.

We're usually talking $20 per month for smaller/medium sized ones and depending on storage and performance requirements can easily climb to $50-80.
Not a huge amount but after investing thousands, it's no surprise you start to question why is it you who has to always foot the bill ;)

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostFox, on 08 March 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

First, don't use Adblock. They re-enable ads from sites that pay them.Use alternatives like Ublock.And you can download extensions to disable the anti-blockers.

I've used UBlock Origin for quite some time.

View Postoasiz, on 09 March 2020 - 07:28 AM, said:

Jeff, ads are often used to directly pay for the server bills. It doesn't require a click necessarily.Once a site reaches the point where you can't really home-host it due to traffic (or don't want to stress about a ghetto non-datacenter stuff breaking things), you kinda have to start paying for it.If you have a stable full-time job on the side, it's doable, however I've seen cases where the original admin has long left "the scene" and mainly keeps the thing alive as long as it doesn't hurt financially.We're usually talking $20 per month for smaller/medium sized ones and depending on storage and performance requirements can easily climb to $50-80.Not a huge amount but after investing thousands, it's no surprise you start to question why is it you who has to always foot the bill ;)

Let me guess, the ad company pays the person running the website money if they allow them to put ads on their site.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 09 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   Definitely Not Robman 

• Banned

I appreciate the warm reception, it was awkwardly homosexual, but warm.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostWoody, on 09 March 2020 - 06:09 PM, said:

it was awkwardly homosexual, but warm.

that's a pretty good description of Jimmy

User is offline   Jeff 

Posted Image

Same price as before, more speed.

User is offline   Jeff 

Setting up my modem. Look at the setup guide they provided. Notice anything odd?

Posted Image

User is offline   Malgon 

Holy shit that's fast! ;)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Shaw did the same thing for us last year. Doubled the speed and kept us at the same price.

User is offline   Mark 

They are buttering you up for the next rate increase in the near future. People will complain less because "hey, I have a faster connect speed and I love it, I guess its worth it"
Time Warner/Spectrum has done that throughout the years.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 March 2020 - 05:16 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

I did an experiment today. Since cannibis is legal now, I went out and bought some THC chocolates. We'll see what happens.

User is offline   Forge 

depends on what you bought.
most likely result will be a mild state of euphoria.
if you purchased something stronger with the intent to trip balls, you feel extremely detached, slow, and maybe a bit paranoid.

User is offline   Jeff 

I didn't really feel anything, other than some shaky nerves for about an hour. My brother tried this stuff and he got a bad panic attack.

In older news, it would seem that my visit to a flight deck to help a plane takeoff in 2011 was actually legal under section 705.27(3e) of the Aeronautics Act.

3e) a person who has expertise related to the aeroplane, its equipment or its crew members and who is required to be in the flight deck to provide a service to the air operator.

Notice how it doesn't say the person who has expertise flying airplanes is required to have a valid pilot's license?

I told the captain I had flown FSX at home with a PMDG 737-700 add-on, which is modeled and performs like the real 737-700 or as close to it as possible. Couple minutes later, he asked for my help with something. Then about 10 minutes passed. In that time I entered the cockpit as instructed, and basically flew the aircraft from the gate until about 2-3 minutes after takeoff. First Officer was missing, but somehow still aboard the aircraft. Not sure why they didn't just wait out the 10 minutes.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 11 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJeff, on 11 March 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

I didn't really feel anything, other than some shaky nerves for about an hour. My brother tried this stuff and he got a bad panic attack.

then you either went to a crappy shop, or didn't make your intentions clear.

most good shops around here will ask you what your goal is; medical pain relief, nightmare suppression, intoxication, tremor relief, etc.
they then go through your options and the results you would get with each choice.

sounds like they sold you some stock that had been sitting too long and needed to be moved

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

If you're curious about 6G, you can read this.

User is offline   Malgon 

Bought a couple of new SSDs recently and finally installed Windows 10 last night (still have Windows 7 on a couple of other drives). Everything seems to be going okay so far. Also first time I'm using the Brave browser (been using Firefox for years). Anyone here use it?

User is offline   Jeff 

Never heard of it.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

sup Jeffbthomson <3

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostYatta, on 19 March 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

sup Jeffbthomson <3

Hi Yatta.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Posted Image
Got a knife collection going

User is offline   Jeff 

I'm not a big fan of this new Gmail fly out menu.

some neo nazi wannabe prick i used to be friends with.
he just won't fuck off.

Attached Image: dickhead.PNG

He just doesn't seem to understand that i am done with his mass shooter worshippin ass.

If anyone's interested in a separate thread about this jackass (And i know you're probably not) let me know.
Maybe i'll call it "The Australian Neo Nazi Wannabe Thread" (because he's an aussie.)

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this shit. if not, move it to it's own thread. it can continue from there.

User is offline   Mark 

I removed a few drawers to install some fronts I made. Withing seconds the cat walked in the room and jumped right in to explore. I'm in the process of a huge house-wide cleanout. The cat is loving all the new places to explore as I get rid of stuff or move things around. A few days ago I wondered why she wasn't bugging me for food around dinner time. After searching the house I found her in a closet. I accidently closed her in while she was exploring. I spent the afternoon either on the 2nd floor or in the basement so if she meowed I never heard it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: cat in a desk.jpg

User is offline   Jeff 

Whenever a new flight sim comes out, websites implode.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 14 April 2020 - 08:11 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

Bump

User is offline   Mark 

Boneheads with horrible camera techniques should be banned from posting videos that waste my time. ;)

User is offline   Hank 

Yeah. They should have posted this video with a disclaimer:

:: WARNING :: Raw footage of one of the most exiting events that happened in a small Canadian town, in decades. The entire local police force was in action.

This post has been edited by Hank: 07 May 2020 - 03:11 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

https://i.imgur.com/3zLygkg.gifv

Share this topic:

• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options