Duke4.net Forums: Major overhaul for the official website. Also, Grabbag. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major overhaul for the official website. Also, Grabbag.

User is offline   Green 

It's Beautiful! :P

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

That's one hell of a overhaul. Official websites usually suck big time. Gotta hand it to Gearbox and 2k here, this is a very well done site with
lots of cool content to pour over. :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostZor, on Mar 10 2011, 08:04 PM, said:

I agree. The top view specifically.

Posted Image

That looks like a bad normal map bake. That or there is something strange in how the engine is rendering it.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 11 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

View PostTea Monster, on Mar 11 2011, 05:04 AM, said:

That looks like a bad normal map bake. That or there is something strange in how the engine is rendering it.

The ripper looks miserable and I've said this ever since I've seen it in the first leaked pics...
The one shown in the first Jace Hall videos from when 3dr was still working at it, was looking much better.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostBam050196, on Mar 10 2011, 09:52 PM, said:

Duke sure looks happy :P

I still don't like his mouth, he's got a bit of a shit-eating grin going on in the new model...

On a plus note, it's about time they actually put up a proper web site... I mean, this game is supposed to ship in less than 2 months and they only got the web site up and running now?! :D

This post has been edited by Raziel: 11 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

I just noticed the names of the twins, Mary and Kate Holsom, that is f* hillarious :P.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

New Grabbag is awful, from a musician and recording engineer standpoint. The guitarist is missing notes in the main theme more than once and the solo is incredibly forced and skill-less.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Mar 11 2011, 10:40 AM, said:

New Grabbag is awful, from a musician and recording engineer standpoint. The guitarist is missing notes in the main theme more than once and the solo is incredibly forced and skill-less.

Well I'm pretty sure they're not missing the notes on purpose, they kinda remixed the song, and changed the structure of things around a little..
I think they wanted to keep the same overall feel of the song, but while making it sound new at the same time.

Which is why they didn't just play the exact notes we're all used to.

View PostTea Monster, on Mar 11 2011, 05:04 AM, said:

Well, that screenshot was from the leaked documents.

So it's old.

New grabbag isn't very good. The one from the 2007 trailer was better.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 11 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSergical Strike, on Mar 11 2011, 09:57 AM, said:

Well I'm pretty sure they're not missing the notes on purpose, they kinda remixed the song, and changed the structure of things around a little..
I think they wanted to keep the same overall feel of the song, but while making it sound new at the same time.

Which is why they didn't just play the exact notes we're all used to.

Changed the structure of things around? It's the EXACT SAME format as the Megadeth version. Exactly. It comes off like a bad cover of that version. It's like whoever made it listened to the original once without focusing on it too much and without hearing Grabbag before at all and just slapped it together quickly. It's a lazy piece of work.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Mar 11 2011, 04:40 PM, said:

Agree, new Grabbag looks blander compared to Vortexguy's version

I like the lower tone, but it fails in execution

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Talk about a media blitz! That's a great way to do it and it's just what Duke needed, a site exclusively for him. A long time coming I think, nice job!

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm crapping all over the new Grabbag, but I haven't said that I'm very impressed with the website itself. It's very nice work.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Mar 11 2011, 05:32 PM, said:

I'm crapping all over the new Grabbag, but I haven't said that I'm very impressed with the website itself. It's very nice work.

Well Randy essentially said on the Gearbox forums that that version of Grabbag was made for the website. The main theme Grabbag, as it stands, is still to come.

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Mar 12 2011, 12:39 AM, said:

Well Randy essentially said on the Gearbox forums that that version of Grabbag was made for the website. The main theme Grabbag, as it stands, is still to come.

SOURCE?
SO the Soule Grabbag is still to come?! Sounds interesting!

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showt...511&page=10

It's just a website, guys.

DuvalMagic is "In the Box", and his occupation is CEO, so it's pretty obvious he's Randy. Sure you could say "That's vague", but look at the topic he said it in. Why exactly would he say it's just a website in the thread that's specifically insulting the song hmmmmm? Here's to hoping for true Grabbag in a "Launch Trailer".

User is offline   Outtagum 

That's also his Twitter name.

This post has been edited by Zor: 11 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Mar 12 2011, 10:09 AM, said:

View PostJobi-Wan Kenobi, on Mar 12 2011, 10:10 AM, said:

SOURCE?
SO the Soule Grabbag is still to come?! Sounds interesting!

Oh thank god. Actually as background music for a website, the song isn't bad.

View PostVinsaneOne, on Mar 11 2011, 04:26 PM, said:

Talk about a media blitz! That's a great way to do it and it's just what Duke needed, a site exclusively for him. A long time coming I think, nice job!

couldn;t agree more man :P

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

vertexguy;2247073 said:

Keep yours eyes on this forum and on my website. You're in for a big surprise. :P

Chris Kline
vertexguy
http://www.vertexguy.com

User is offline   BugsBunny 

The new version of Grabbag is to come from Vertexguy, not Jeremey soul. How do I know, because Vertexguy wrote this in the GBX forum in the thread where people are complaining about the Grabbag them in the new DNF site being too bland

vertexguy said:

Keep yours eyes on this forum and on my website. You're in for a big surprise. :P

Chris Kline
vertexguy
http://www.vertexguy.com

Edit: Doh looks like me and Davox were typing the same thing at about the same time.

This post has been edited by BugsBunny: 11 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

I agree with MusicallyInspired and actually surprised more people aren't complaining about it... I dont mind the sound and the production, but the playing especially in the off-key solo is weak. I'm gonna say it; I could play better :P
the website design itself is great... and flying bowl of oatmeal FTW :D

User is offline   Outtagum 

Maybe the reason there are not more people complaining about it is because it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I will agree that I noticed something was missing from it. Later on I figured it was just done for the website. Randy pretty much confirmed that.

This post has been edited by Zor: 12 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

New grabbag sucks at the solo part. No skill at all and feels rushed like shit!

• The Sarien Encounter

If you think the solo sounds great than you have a tin ear. Even if it was good for the average joe who only listens to music (a prospect all to easy to achieve nowadays), it's laughably amateur work to actually pull off in the industry from a professional point of view.

I'm excited at the prospect of an official DNF theme by Chris Kline!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm worried that Vertexguy was just saying "Check out this forum and my website, I'll post my new rendition!" as it's not for DNF at all, just an updated version of his rendition...

Oh well. I hope I can change the MP3 in the game directory for His :P

• The Sarien Encounter

Seconded.

Well I admit the current Grabbag does sound heavily "inspired" or ripped off from the Megadeth version..

My personal favourite version is http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DLyVHb_dIN4
But being just recorded by some guy, the production could be better.

Either way, I don't care what they decide to use for the game as long as it sounds badass.

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostZor, on Mar 11 2011, 08:18 PM, said:

That's also his Twitter name.

And his signature on his maps in Duke3D.

Somebody please tell me they remember the name DuvalMagic from the days of Duke3D mapping? If not I'll have to castrate someone.

The new grabbag, I'm not a major fan of. I never liked the Megadeth version at all to begin with. Why? Because it is missing the entire second half of the song (keyboard solo), which, IMHO is one of the most important pieces of the song.

These are my favorite Grabbag Covers:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QFfq2-8UqPo
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DLyVHb_dIN4
(Looks like Sergical Strike above me already linked to one of them)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 12 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options