Duke4.net Forums: WGR2: SIEGEBREAKER 1.2 RELEASED! - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WGR2: SIEGEBREAKER 1.2 RELEASED!

User is offline   Mark 

  • Honored Donor

#61

I spend so much time creating and not much time actually playing other people's projects. I just spent about a half hour playing WGR1.2

Absolutely kick-ass. Now I can agree with all the glowing reviews of the project. Good job guys.

This post has been edited by Marked: 31 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

0

User is online   MetHy 

#62

After Imperium, I decided to replay this.

I had a blast replaying the levels in Siege Breaker. Still kick ass and excellent replay value.

I also played Chaos Realm for the first time and it was very good. However the soul system didn't work in this one (not a single soul appeared for me) so I had to DNCLIP through soul-doors each time I was done with an area.

Castle Demonhorn doesn't seem to work. For some reasons I can't pick up the bow and its ammo and I can't find my way inside the castle (I'm guessing that both are linked).

Also I noticed a glitch : the dragon bosses tend to get stuck inside ceilings which can break the game.

I'll probably also play the remake of WGR1 included with it however I doubt it will be as good as the original WGR1 since it's got such a big place in my heart and that it seemed perfect with original Duke gameplay and enemies.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#63

View PostMetHy, on 27 August 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

After Imperium, I decided to replay this.

I had a blast replaying the levels in Siege Breaker. Still kick ass and excellent replay value.

I also played Chaos Realm for the first time and it was very good. However the soul system didn't work in this one (not a single soul appeared for me) so I had to DNCLIP through soul-doors each time I was done with an area.

Castle Demonhorn doesn't seem to work. For some reasons I can't pick up the bow and its ammo and I can't find my way inside the castle (I'm guessing that both are linked).

Also I noticed a glitch : the dragon bosses tend to get stuck inside ceilings which can break the game.

I'll probably also play the remake of WGR1 included with it however I doubt it will be as good as the original WGR1 since it's got such a big place in my heart and that it seemed perfect with original Duke gameplay and enemies.


There's only a couple of souls in Chaos Realms. I wonder what happened. Did you finish the map?

Castle Demonhorn isn't broken, but there's a few things you should know. You can only pick up the bow if you are using Jedrik (the unlockable character). That's annoying to enough people that I will make sure the bow does not show up if you use Duke. Getting inside the castle is a puzzle. It's really the only puzzle worth mentioning in the whole map, and it's right at the beginning so it throws people off. There's a button you have to shoot to open the gate. The button is shown by a cutscene when the level starts. It is inside of a window, and can be hit by the shotgun if you stand in the right place (especially easy if you use the iron sights). If you weren't paying attention during the cutscene, then it may seem unfair. If there is no cutscene when the level starts, then you are using a very very old version that should not be on any servers.
1

User is online   MetHy 

#64

View PostDeeperThought, on 27 August 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

There's only a couple of souls in Chaos Realms. I wonder what happened. Did you finish the map?



After a long time I arrived in a very huge open area with hundreds of enemies, I killed them all and I got no ending or anything, so I just quit there assuming I was done.
0

#65

View PostMetHy, on 27 August 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

After a long time I arrived in a very huge open area with hundreds of enemies, I killed them all and I got no ending or anything, so I just quit there assuming I was done.


It's supposed to go over to a intermission screen showing the results once you kill all the enemies and the boss at the end of Utter Chaos. Either wait until it pops up or there must be a problem.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#66

It's supposed to end after killing the giant cyberdemon. There was a bug which prevented that from happening at one point, and I guess he's playing the version without the patch that fixes it. He's missing nothing except for the level ending, though.
0

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer

#67

View PostDeeperThought, on 27 August 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

It's supposed to end after killing the giant cyberdemon. There was a bug which prevented that from happening at one point, and I guess he's playing the version without the patch that fixes it. He's missing nothing except for the level ending, though.


I think he missed the Giant cyberdemon, I remember I played the map time ago with polymer and either the souls and the cyberdemon doesn't work along with other effects, also I spawned some souls from the console but they got stuck in the soul doors, I asumed that was a kind of bug related with Polymer and it was a isolated case, so I had to replay the whole level whitout polymer, I don't think Met had played the map with polymer, I wish I could reproduce the problem and you Dan could know what causes it.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#68

View PostNorvak, on 27 August 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

I think he missed the Giant cyberdemon, I remember I played the map time ago with polymer and either the souls and the cyberdemon doesn't work along with other effects, also I spawned some souls from the console but they got stuck in the soul doors, I asumed that was a kind of bug related with Polymer and it was a isolated case, so I had to replay the whole level whitout polymer, I don't think Met had played the map with polymer, I wish I could reproduce the problem and you Dan could know what causes it.


Polymer is a renderer and should have no effect on gameplay. I don't see how it could change anything like that. Also I doubt that he was using Polymer but we'll see what he says. In the mean time, I'll play the level and learn what I can.

A lot has changed since the last official version (which I presume he has), but unfortunately I can't release the current version without spoiling a lot of stuff.
0

User is online   MetHy 

#69

I couldn't beat Castle Demonhorn because I kept getting stuck. It seemed like a good level though.

I played the remake of WGR1 and surprisingly enjoyed it a lot.
I can not say whether I liked more than the origjnal though since it has such a big place in my heart.

The new levels are what I enjoyed the most, even though they weren't as good as the other levels (not made by William Gee I'm guessing). Some places lacked wall shading as well, but still interesting levels.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#70

View PostMetHy, on 01 September 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

I couldn't beat Castle Demonhorn because I kept getting stuck. It seemed like a good level though.

I played the remake of WGR1 and surprisingly enjoyed it a lot.
I can not say whether I liked more than the origjnal though since it has such a big place in my heart.

The new levels are what I enjoyed the most, even though they weren't as good as the other levels (not made by William Gee I'm guessing). Some places lacked wall shading as well, but still interesting levels.


The new levels actually were made by WG. They were ones he had started a long time ago before WGR2 took shape, then he decided to finish them so we would have more to include in the last release. It was a bit of a rush job getting them finished, which is probably why they aren't as well shaded.

It doesn't sound like you will finish Demonhorn, so I have a request. I'm hoping you will try out the other playable character (normally he is unlocked by finishing Demonorn). To unlock him, open wgr2.cfg inside of the WGR2 folder, find the line that says "charlocked = 1", and change it to "charlocked = 3". When you start a new game, you will be able to choose him. He uses mostly melee and has some special attacks that are used with his shield (kind of like the Alucard shield powers). There are game tips explaining it. Anyway, he hasn't been used all that much and your feedback about him would be helpful.
1

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#71

Are there any other half-finished maps by WG that you know of?
0

#72

There is a userlevel made by Numan for WGRealms 1, I guess it will be posible for someone to import that level to wgr2.

The name of the map is Beerzity
Though I cant find it ATM.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#73

View PostWilliam Gee, on 07 September 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

There is a userlevel made by Numan for WGRealms 1, I guess it will be posible for someone to import that level to wgr2.

The name of the map is Beerzity
Though I cant find it ATM.


I found it and I looked at it, about three months ago when someone else mentioned it. Yes, it was made for WG Realms 1, but it has a ton of regular Duke textures in it as well. Also I felt that the design didn't fit WGR2. It was designed almost like a modern city IIRC. I concluded it was too much work to convert it, but if someone else wants to do it...
0

User is offline   catguy 

#74

Hey, never posted here before, was looking to see if there'd been any updates and saw the request for feedback on jedrik. I beat wgrealms2 on the hardest difficulty (insane or whatever? im not much of a duke player) with jedrik so i'd be happy to give some feebdack!

First of all those i LOVED this mod, one of the best gaming experiences i've ever had, and i dig all kinds of games and am perfectly happy with big budget modern games. Wgrealms is stylish, unique, oldschool, and just outrageously fun.

Onto jedrik: I know he's a melee character, but i hardly ever actually used melee playing him. The axe almost never unless i absolutely had to freeze an enemy, the sword every once in a while, rushing in to tag an enemy or two before shielding and backing out, but other than that not really at all. I also didn't use the bow, except for explosive arrows, very often -- just dumped its ammo every once in a while on a cyberdemon or something that was a real bullet sponge. Just too hard to hit moving enemies, and not practical enough against the big hordes you have to fight. Plus, no shield.

THE SHIELD. The shield is the only way to survive ANY fight after halfway through the first level, which i actually really loved, it made the game feel really unique and visceral dodging in and out and shielding up to block attacks, but it led to me only ever really using two weapons -- the hammer, because i could throw it and then shield up (and because it's aoe attack was so good) and the axe's secondary, because that shit was unstoppably powerful. Melee and archery typically meant trading blows with enemies, which = dying.

So playing jedrik for me was basically throw hammer in a few times, fire an explosive arrow or two to pick off any specific enemies, and then run in, call ice storm, and backpedal out -- with small variations for each fight. It was really fun and really dymanic, with just those few attacks, but it left most of the arsenal feeling kinda pointless.
3

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#75

Thanks for your feedback. I have made a lot of changes to Jedrik since the version you played. Unfortunately I can't share the new version without spoiling a lot of stuff, so you'll just have to take my word for it that he has been rebalanced and he has a new weapon as well. There is more work to be done on him, though, and your comments are still useful.

Here's a few things that you might try: Switch to the necrosword (weapon 2) and use the shield power with it to summon the explosive skull allies. You can then switch to another weapon and they will still follow you. So even if you only use the necrosword for that, it is quite useful. The Armageddon sword (weapon 7) has a shield attack similar to the axe one that is at least as useful. It is actually better on bosses because it takes off 1/2 of their life the first time it hits them.

I'm not sure if the tactics you described would still work with the rebalanced Jedrik. I think you would run out of ammo on the hammer and axe and would be forced to try some other weapons.
1

User is offline   Bloodshot 

#76

Sorry If this hasn't been posted in a while, but I want to say, thanks for this mod (this is the first version I've played, I've only ever seen videos of it)

It really reminds me of everything that's wrong with modern FPS games. There's so much creativity in general in the level design, and it's just a blast to play.

Being a massive fan of Quake 1's visual style and the hexen series I had to try this out, and I'm not too far in, but so far I'm not disappointed.

Really great job guys. This, AMC TC, and Brutal Doom should keep me busy for a while.
2

User is online   MetHy 

#77

Just stumbled on this while looking for something else, in case you haven't seen it mentionned yet

scroll down
http://www.diygamer....ro-fps-roundup/
2

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#78

View PostMetHy, on 03 March 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Just stumbled on this while looking for something else, in case you haven't seen it mentionned yet

scroll down
http://www.diygamer....ro-fps-roundup/


That's nice, I hadn't seen that. It's strange how someone will take the time to write a detailed summary like that but not e-mail anyone on the team to tell them about it (then again, maybe he did tell WG and I just wasn't aware of it).
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#79

I'm sure that was posted somewhere here before, but it must have been a while ago.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#80

View PostMicky C, on 03 March 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm sure that was posted somewhere here before, but it must have been a while ago.


I'm not so sure. I have seen other reviews/mentions on other sites, but not that one before MetHy posted it.
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#81

When I started looking through that page MetHy posted, I was thinking "wow a lot of this seems familiar" and as I kept on reading, the similarities kept on coming, until I become sure that it's the same article. Supporting my case is that the article was published july last year which means it was certainly possible the review was posted here a while back.
0

#82

I really wish I had made the beginning better, Its too slow and confusing, Many people have commented on it, I would like to revamp the start just to fix the slow confusing boringness. By revamp I mean remake 90% of the start, and release a polished version of the current release.

I also watched a couple newbies play this lately, and they always get confused and bored at the start.
0

User is offline   Photonic 

#83

Sorry to go off topic. I just clicked the link in you sig. Will, man, I am dumbfounded, you are a great artist, I can't wait to show your work to my wife she would absolute love it! I don't know why I was so surprised at this, your talent spills over into your maps, just when I saw the link to paintings I expected, I don't know what I expected, not that. Thank you!
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#84

View PostWilliam Gee, on 20 March 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

I really wish I had made the beginning better, Its too slow and confusing, Many people have commented on it, I would like to revamp the start just to fix the slow confusing boringness. By revamp I mean remake 90% of the start, and release a polished version of the current release.

I also watched a couple newbies play this lately, and they always get confused and bored at the start.


If you supply the changed maps, I can do the rest. It will be based on the new build, but I can remove a lot of the unreleased elements. We should talk about this later.

EDIT: Or if you feel you need to work from the released version, that's fine. There are certain things that have changed since then which need to be added (mostly bug fixes), but as I say, that would be my problem.
0

#85

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 March 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

If you supply the changed maps, I can do the rest. It will be based on the new build, but I can remove a lot of the unreleased elements. We should talk about this later.

EDIT: Or if you feel you need to work from the released version, that's fine. There are certain things that have changed since then which need to be added (mostly bug fixes), but as I say, that would be my problem.


Ok I have started, I plan to Build a new HUB map, and other destroy the current one, or keep it as a optional "Tutorial level" Or build a new optional Tutorial level. (I plan to remove as much tutorial stuff as possible keeping it optional)
I have began speed tracking level1, I'm glad because its quite nice this way, you can choose to "Explore" or follow the obvious fast pathway.

So For this polished version I would like the current released episodes and maps to be included in the HUB map as planned, and not in the episode selection.
So really we don't have much work to do other than putting the pieces together, leaving the question of a final Boss map.
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#86

Just remember that this is the public forum and that anyone can come in here and read posts, so don't go giving away too much developer information unless you don't mind people knowing about it.

Now to go against my own advice; I thought Norvak was also making a new HUB level? So does this mean we'll have 3 HUBs in the final version?
0

#87

I'm happy for the public to know I'm doing this.
If you want to use my new HUB map in the new version you can, but you don't have to. But at the end of the day the current HUB map sucks and should go.
0

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#88

View PostWilliam Gee, on 22 March 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

So For this polished version I would like the current released episodes and maps to be included in the HUB map as planned, and not in the episode selection.


That's the new way of doing it that I was working on, where everything (WG Realms 1, WG Realms 2, and other user maps/ episodes) are all accessible from the hub. Since you want to use the new way, it would make sense to work from the new version.
0

#89

First post gonna' be a mini review. Been playing FPS since I was 7 with Doom on 32X, never got into modding but I do follow it and appreciate the work put into it. For reference; my favorite FPS of all time is Blood and you better believe I'm following the XL Engine project.

Anyhow I came across WGR2 by pure chance as I was getting into Duke Plus. Downloaded it and it's absolutely amazing. Just blows away any and all attempts by game developers trying to recapture the flavor of oldschool FPS (though, Bulletstorm came close). Some criticisms:

I've experienced some pretty bad slowdown during checkpoints, wouldn't be a big deal but usually an ambush occurs during these points and unless I'm expecting it I usually take quite a bit of damage as a result.

Not much slowdown when fighting massive hordes except for the very last level against the giant Cyberdemon. That was like 1 frame per second and it was pure luck that I managed to beat it. I can provide a dxdiag if you're curious but for reference my machine can run Crysis on ultra high. Just letting you know.

Why start the WGRealms campaign looking for switches? No enemies, find a little bit of gold, that's it. If you're going into it blind it will take you something like 10-15 minutes to find all those switches and it just disrupts the pace completely. The followup level I had a helluva time trying to find the entrance. I went under water and in that tunnel but I did not know that I had to all the way to right and then I can swim up. I must've spent at least 20 minutes trying every possible corner, thinking I missed a switch or something. I feel like an idiot for missing that spot, but I think it could've been made a little more obvious. It's wavering dangerously close into Shadow Warrior territory and key hunting.

You take too much damage on anything but the lowest difficulty. I mean, one Baron of hell with a basic shotty blindsides you and suddenly you have like 50 health and there's not a lot of health in this game. That's harsh. I'm thankful that there's a lower difficulty level though.

Those are my critiques, hope it wasn't a bitch-fest. AMAZING Mod guys. Kudos. From hereon I am following whatever projects you guys are working on and really hope that you do something that you can make some money off of. Seriously, this completely annihilates Serious Sam. I think that franchise is horribly overrated, tries way too hard to homage Duke 3D, and the level design absolutely sucks. Every level in every Serious Sam game is a huge level where you activate a switch, a hundred enemies suicide run you, and you back up into you kill them all, rinse and repeat. I do not get the appeal of that series.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 06 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

4

User is online   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#90

It's a fair review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I wish I could release a small update that fixes some of the gameplay and balance issues, but unfortunately the game has changed too much and the next update has to be huge, and we can't release it until a lot of big stuff is finished.
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options