Duke4.net Forums: JonoF's forum closed - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JonoF's forum closed

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

JonoF's forum is closed. Time to open up a Shadow Warrior section at this place?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Well that sucks, soon all that will be left is Duke4 :P

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Its a shame, damn spam bots infected the place on mass.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You can't really fault him for shuttering the forum, I suppose. Cleaning up the spam happening there was like a full time job in that it had to be done multiple times a day on some occasions. The fact that so much spam happened during a single weekend that the database hit the account's disk quota and corrupted itself (at least I think this is what happened) really says something.

User is offline   Hank 

Still, Ken posted some educational stuff there, I learned how to convert Assembly to C++ from him. As for spam, lol, I posted there one time, to say hello, it was deleted without explanation. I won't miss the forum for a hang out, but it's data. :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Did many people actually go there regularly? I didn't even know the forum will still being maintained until I saw this thread.

User is offline   JonoF 

View PostTX, on Mar 3 2011, 12:04 PM, said:

... so much spam happened during a single weekend that the database hit the account's disk quota and corrupted itself.

Yeah, that's basically it. I think it's more accurately a combination of the /tmp filesystem on the server hitting its quota of files from my account, probably with sessions spawned by a barrage of spambots, which left MySQL no space to create temporary tables, and then when it tries to "recover" it ends up truncating the table and I have to restore a backup. Really bloody annoying to have happen twice in the space of a month. And then 260 spam accounts registered over two days from a range of random IPs means I'm done trying to keep on top of it.

Considering the most active thread on the forum was a certain voxel-based shooter of dubious taste, I'm not too broken up about closing it, though there is content there I want to bring back in a read-only capacity.

Jonathon

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJonoF, on Mar 3 2011, 06:22 AM, said:

Considering the most active thread on the forum was a certain voxel-based shooter of dubious taste, I'm not too broken up about closing it, though there is content there I want to bring back in a read-only capacity.

Jonathon

If it is a matter of time or cash, I've got both if you need help, or even hosting for that matter. Yes, selfish, I'm porting Polymost into 64bit system, so I'll open up a website for it anyways

Henry :P

User is offline   JonoF 

View PostHank, on Mar 3 2011, 11:19 PM, said:

If it is a matter of time or cash, I've got both if you need help, or even hosting for that matter.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

BTW, if you're porting based on my 2005 sources, you might be interested to know I've put my repositories of current code on Github (https://github.com/jonof) and there's a branch in the jfbuild repo where I've begun merging in the 64-bit changes from EDuke32.

Jonathon

Pesonally I'm going to miss Evaldraw topics and the occasional person making a voxel engine.

Voxelstein would be a nice engine if it was ever released, but the content is pretty disgusting in a wide variety of ways.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostHank, on Mar 3 2011, 05:19 AM, said:

I'm porting Polymost into 64bit system, so I'll open up a website for it anyways

BTW, the engine (including Polymost) was made x86_64 safe a few years ago; if you look for commits from Qbix in the EDuke32 tree you can isolate most of the useful stuff, though there was also some stuff by me around the same time as his commits.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

According to wikipedia, ID Tech 6 is going to use voxels and ray tracing.

Edit: but that's probably a LONG way away since there haven't even been any ID Tech 5 games released yet...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJonoF, on Mar 3 2011, 09:10 AM, said:

BTW, if you're porting based on my 2005 sources, you might be interested to know I've put my repositories of current code on Github (https://github.com/jonof) and there's a branch in the jfbuild repo where I've begun merging in the 64-bit changes from EDuke32.

:P looks like more homework for me. Many thanks!

View PostPlagman, on Mar 3 2011, 04:13 PM, said:

BTW, the engine (including Polymost) was made x86_64 safe a few years ago; if you look for commits from Qbix in the EDuke32 tree you can isolate most of the useful stuff, though there was also some stuff by me around the same time as his commits.

It probably sounds stupid, but if I read or use anything from Eduke32, I have to incorporate the GPL or whatever license Eduke32 falls under, unless I'm wrong. Meanwhile, I can live with Ken's/JonoF unique licence which is very much removed from 3D Realms. I love Build, the simple way to make maps, the editor, the groupmaker, it's what I want to work on my Windows7 and Ubuntu and maybe even Mac.

• el fundador

The engine modifications in EDuke32 are still BUILDLIC, whereas the game code is GPL like JFDuke3D.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, EDuke32 is strictly identical to JfDuke3D from a licensing standpoint.

User is offline   Hank 

@ TX and Plagman. I don't get it; and we are off-topic. When I'm done with EditArt I'll post a thread what I want to do, and what I can use under Buildlic from Eduke32. Cheers! :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it, now that I have an actual 64bit system.

User is offline   Dany 

Great where do I find the orgasmic Voxelstein 3d renders now? Huh?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDany, on Mar 10 2011, 04:28 PM, said:

Great where do I find the orgasmic Voxelstein 3d renders now? Huh?

have you tried a Google? That's what I found
http://voxelstein3d.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.n...s/voxelstein3d/

also, Ken and Jonathon are alive and kicking. :P

User is offline   Gambini 

It´s a shame the forum is dead. I used to go there once in a month at least to read old threads. Would not have a captcha or a register confirmation solved the problem? At least you could have closed registration for new members and leave the forum for the human users.

User is offline   Dany 

Yeah that's not much help...

User is offline   JonoF 

I've got things back online in a read-only capacity, so at least the information is not lost. I'll rethink the forum when I get around to finishing my new site. Still got an update for the ports to complete yet.

Jonathon

User is offline   Hank 

Thanks, I mean that! ;)

User is offline   Mark 

View PostLeoD, on 02 March 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

JonoF's forum is closed. Time to open up a Shadow Warrior section at this place?

I agree. Contained in that area of the forum was also the Redneck Rampage HRP thread. Neither one had great amounts of activity but it was a place to bring together stuff that me and a couple of others were working on for those 2 games. Maybe if something is started here some more people might jump on board.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I have the SWHRP thread in the General Gaming section right now.

User is offline   m96 

I don't think that this forum is very active. In fact many topics are left unanswered.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Not true, this forum is pretty active. Second most active Duke Nukem forums i think. Need more lurkers posting though.

• el fundador

View Postm96, on 25 April 2011 - 04:59 AM, said:

I don't think that this forum is very active. In fact many topics are left unanswered.

I think you're confusing "forum activity" with "anyone giving a shit about your thread."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options