Duke4.net Forums: DUKE3D XBLA - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUKE3D XBLA  "What it needs."

User is offline   Pigeon 

Mods.

Gameplay mods, Art mods, New Episodes, New SP maps, New DM maps, Sounds mods, Heck, I'll throw in Music Mods while I'm at it:

Using the same method of File uploading to internets to downloading to console method like in Halo 3/Reach, we could play user content on XBLA.

There would be a Website dedicated to Duke Nukem 3d Custom Cons, Maps, Art, Sound, and Music which we link an XBL account then upload our user content from our pc to download on our 360. There would also need to be a search tool on both the website and on XBLA that we could use to Search for Maps, Cons, Sounds, Arts, Musics, and Authors then download their content on to Duke XBLA to play.

Also the HRP should be on XBLA.

Not a chance in Hell.

This has been asked before. It wouldn't work as you have to get permission from a lot of people and Microsoft would have to ok it.

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 26 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

User is offline   Pigeon 

So what your saying, is that there is a very small but indeed possible chance?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If it were doable it would have been done already.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostPigeon, on Feb 26 2011, 07:42 PM, said:

...There would be a Website dedicated to Duke Nukem 3d Custom Cons, Maps, Art, Sound, and Music...

LOL, there is, it's called Duke4.net! :P

View PostPigeon, on Feb 26 2011, 07:42 PM, said:

Also the HRP should be on XBLA.

The funny thing is, it may be possible to make this happen. If you check this thread you'll find that the nice people at 3DR stole borrowed some of the code from the Jonof port to make the XBLA port. So, it may be theoretically* possible to get the HRP running on XBLA!

* to be read as NCiH.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on Feb 28 2011, 02:24 AM, said:

The funny thing is, it may be possible to make this happen. If you check this thread you'll find that the nice people at 3DR stole borrowed some of the code from the Jonof port to make the XBLA port. So, it may be theoretically* possible to get the HRP running on XBLA!

It'll be a cold day in Hell before Microsoft allows custom source ports to anything on XBLA, especially because it's likely that the GPL license will soon be banned from places like the Windows Phone 7 app store and the Apple App Store if it hasn't already.

That being said, Duke3D XBLA still needs a bugfix for the demo recording/player freeze glitch, which it's not likely to get.

EDIT:

View PostTea Monster, on Feb 28 2011, 02:24 AM, said:

* to be read as NCiH.

No Chance in Hell, gotcha.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 28 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If you knew what you were doing with XNA, would it be theoretically possible to compile eDuke to run on the XBox (bearing in mind NCiH)? This still wouldn't give you multiplayer (not unless you REALLY knew what you were doing and could fix it :P ).

Or just have the remixed/original tunes from Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PSX's Duke 3D port) as and option to listen to while you play the game. Eh, nevermind, I already downloaded that soundtrack and listen to it on my hard drive whenever I play the game.

Nothing. It needs nothing. The port was great. Almost 100% like the original, which is what a port should be. GBX TAKE NOTE OF THIS!!!!

This post has been edited by blackharted: 24 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

View Postblackharted, on 24 April 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

GBX TAKE NOTE OF THIS!!!!

...what?

View PostSebastian, on 24 April 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

...what?

:dukegoof:

GBX take note of my describtion of ports.

User is offline   Alexx 

Im not so sure the XBLA version 'needs' anything.The port was almost peferct.And the arcade version has been out what?3 years, and is almost dead.The only people still playing are the hardcore veterans of the XB version.

At the time of release what would of been nice in my opinion was to have had a better P2P system,the TDM gametype and more upload space in game file.

Considering its a 3 year old arcade game they done an amazing job never the less.Great leaderboard loadout,upload and sharing capabilities and the fact it was almost an exact port of the original was also a bonus.

For me what would of made the fans happy and would of also made them a nice amount of cash would have been to have had the well known expansion packs such as duke it out in DC etc etc

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The only thing I'd like to add to it is split-screen multiplay. If Duke 64 ever comes to Virtual Console (doubt it, Joe Siegler said back when he was part of 3DR that they tried contacting Nintendo about it but it never went anywhere) that would fill the void.

The expansion packs would be nice but 3DR ironically doesn't own the rights to them and the company that did is now defunct as I understand it?

I'd really love to have Duke 1 and 2 on XBLA. Possibly remade. Perhaps Gearbox can deliver with some help from 3DR.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Alexx 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 May 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

I'd really love to have Duke 1 and 2 on XBLA. Possibly remade. Perhaps Gearbox can deliver with some help from 3DR.

Great idea.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostTea Monster, on 28 February 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

If you knew what you were doing with XNA, would it be theoretically possible to compile eDuke to run on the XBox (bearing in mind NCiH)? This still wouldn't give you multiplayer (not unless you REALLY knew what you were doing and could fix it ;) ).

Wow, I can't believe I never thought of that... Something I'll definitely need to try out in the near future with XNA. Although I'm not sure how to do that, I don't know whether I'd convert the code to C#, or create an extension for C# to be able to read C\C++ code, as they are a bit different. Hmm.... interesting idea...

Anyway, in response to the main question here, the only way you could possibly mod the XBLA port right now is to have a hacked Xbox 360 and run the risk of getting banned from Xbox LIVE. Of course I don't know, if someone really edited the game, you might be able to get away with playing online without using Xbox LIVE at all but going to some other servers. I don't know how the Xbox 360 works so I couldn't know 100% sure.

I doubt Microsoft would sit by as people did that though, so simply put, unless you could get joint decisions from both side of the table, it isn't happening. I don't know why I'm replying to the question though, as this is an old enough topic to where it doesn't matter.

I don't think it's even worth it. The XBLA port is... alright. The stick sensitivity doesn't have enough acceleration, so to get any kind of proper accuracy you have to have them set pretty slow to start off with, which then makes movement slow and turning 180 degrees annoying. Multiplayer is... horrible, I'm not even going to descend into how bad it is. I played the game through once or twice on single player and got a rank of 45th on the leaderboards, and I haven't touched it since. It's better on PC in every way possible, from a modding point of view, and a control point of view.

This post has been edited by trencheel303: 12 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Posttrencheel303, on 12 May 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

I don't think it's even worth it. The XBLA port is... alright. The stick sensitivity doesn't have enough acceleration, so to get any kind of proper accuracy you have to have them set pretty slow to start off with, which then makes movement slow and turning 180 degrees annoying. Multiplayer is... horrible, I'm not even going to descend into how bad it is. I played the game through once or twice on single player and got a rank of 45th on the leaderboards, and I haven't touched it since. It's better on PC in every way possible, from a modding point of view, and a control point of view.

I never had any real trouble with the sensitivity, but I take your point. Everybody has their own sweet spot for sensitivity. With a game like Duke3D, to just re-make it with the same graphics (maybe even a little bit updated) from scratch, would only take few months with the right team size. Hell, even I could probably do that using C# with XNA. My point is, they probably could've just re-made the game without a big problem, and make it better than it is now.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostSpirrwell, on 12 May 2011 - 06:26 AM, said:

I never had any real trouble with the sensitivity, but I take your point. Everybody has their own sweet spot for sensitivity.

Thats why there is an option to change sensitivity....

View PostReaperMan, on 12 May 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Thats why there is an option to change sensitivity....

You sure?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostJhect, on 12 May 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

You sure?

Yes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options