Duke4.net Forums: "Duke Nukem Forever will flop" - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Duke Nukem Forever will flop"  "Graphics aren't up to standards"

User is offline   Stabs 

very true Sharpie

stylized graphics age a ton better, A highly stylized game like Mirrors Edge will look better than any COD game in 10 years because peoples perception of realism graphics will have changed because ME never went for a realistic look, it went for its own look which makes comparison harder.

View PostZor, on Feb 25 2011, 08:27 AM, said:

FUCK NO!

Great graphics do not make a game. Graphics can add to the experience, but they are not the most important part of the whole. Well, at least they shouldn't be.

Style and art design go much further than graphics. Gameplay above all.

DNF's graphics look fine.

The guy is an idiot (like most who fixate on graphics for an argument about whether a game will be good or not). Stop wasting your time with him.

Actually, it was the e-plaza guy that told him the game will flop due to it's "poor" graphics.
My friend believes he is a professional ( which he clearly is not ) and also thinks he knows more then most people because he played the latest demo, that's why he believes him.
This guy is talking big bullshit in order to prevent people from playing the game, he is trying to give people the wrong idea behind the game to prevent sells.
He's clearly an a-hole, but i am going to talk to him, this afternoon, to see what he has to see to a real Duke Nukem fan.
He cannot brainwash me with his selfish words.

User is offline   N64 

Later in the interview, Pitchford seemingly becomes quite irritated when Eurogamer suggests that the title's visuals reflect the game's long development cycle.

"That's incorrect. That's actually incorrect," Pitchford interjects. "The game pushes the system to its absolute maximum. The thing we're struggling with now is actually performance and memory constraints.
Article continues below

"If you play a game that doesn't have anything and it's just a shell focused on the scene, yeah you can get higher fidelity, but when you want to put in more simulation, more things to do in the environment, you have to trade off those resources somewhat.

"If this exact game had come out earlier in the cycle, when everyone else hadn't picked their angles and maximised the hardware, there'd be nothing that looked as good. The game absolutely looks better than the first generation Xbox 360 and PS3 games. In this world, today, there are games that look worse than it and there's games that look better than it."

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showp...amp;postcount=1

View Postangelo86, on Feb 25 2011, 01:15 PM, said:

That's a great reply, i have to remember that, it makes logic sense

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 25 2011, 10:12 PM, said:

That's a great reply, i have to remember that, it makes logic sense

Logic sense; when normal sense doesn't cut it. :P

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 25 2011, 06:05 PM, said:

He's clearly an a-hole, but i am going to talk to him, this afternoon, to see what he has to see to a real Duke Nukem fan.
He cannot brainwash me with his selfish words.

Did you end up talking to him? How did that go?

User is offline   flarty 

ask you friend who works at a game store how many copies he sold of infamous, that game was a brand new ip and was criticised for its terrible graphics, and hailed for its fantastic gameplay and sold well over a million. In short no graphics do not account for everything.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Feb 24 2011, 04:45 PM, said:

Gears of War blows donkeys for quarters. "LOLO GRAFIX!!1" people are just shallow idiots who should be disregarded.

Bullshit. Gears rules

View PostZor, on Feb 24 2011, 04:45 PM, said:

Great graphics do not make a game. Graphics can add to the experience, but they are not the most important part of the whole. Well, at least they shouldn't be.

True. But graphics DO add to the experience, no maybe about it. Graphics are as important (but not more) important in their own way.

View PostSharpie, on Feb 24 2011, 11:55 PM, said:

A games art style is very important. But the actual pure technical power is not in the slightest.
Have a look at games like Mario Galaxy. It has an amazing art style but not technically amazing graphics.

Yes tech power is very much important. Without powerful tech a game can't have a great art style or design. And Galaxy's graphics ARE technically amazing as they are the best seen on the Wii so far, also the push the Wii's limits.

View PostMicky C, on Feb 25 2011, 01:52 PM, said:

Logic sense; when normal sense doesn't cut it. :P

Did you end up talking to him? How did that go?

I did and the bastard wasn't there, i guess i have to ask my friend which day he went to the gamestore so i can personally speak to this guy.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

DNF has more to worry about than its graphics.

I hate when a game comes under attack because of this.

Graphics to a game is like the bread in a sandwich. While story is the meat and the game play is the condiments. Sure you can't have a sandwich without good "bread," but without the "meat" and the "condiments", then you wouldn't call it a sandwich, now would you? You would just be eating bread. Still edible, but boring. I don't care how expensive that "bread" was

Graphics alone do not make the game. Crysis has some of the best graphics, but that's about it. Everything else is either terrible or ignored. I can't get anyone to tell me what the story of Crysis is. All they tell me is what the graphics look like. True story.

If you play the sandbox of the game more than you play the game itself, something is wrong. What if the sandbox didn't exist, would you still play it? Now, since we are at this generations of games I understand that graphics have a standard now and need to be as good, but you also need a good story AND gameplay. People also like to mix graphics with style saying "Gears of War looks nothing like Call of Duty or Halo." Of course it doesn't. Then it wouldn't be Gears if it did.

Same with Duke Nukem. If Duke took on the graphics and looked like every other game, then it wouldn't be special or Duke for that matter. Not saying other games are bad, just different; offering different experiences. (Personally, I am getting tired of the "realism" bull most games are trying to make.)

If I have to give up some super duper graphics to trade off for having a better time with a game. So be it. I rather the game be fun, than realistic looking.

DNF looks amazing and I am satisfied by the graphics. The humor is still there. The Duke is still there. Sure, not all the graphics are amazing good and some look a bit off, but I can overlook them.

View PostSkulldog, on Feb 24 2011, 04:34 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing. As for Crysis 2, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy that game.

Why? Do you like being ignorant instead? Crysis 2 is a kick ass game even in it's beta.
I downloaded it and played the first 30 minutes of it and I preordered it !
The game is fucking awesome FROM A GAMEPLAY PERSPECTIVE and also has some of the most awesome graphics I've seen to date.
If Crysis 2 had duke nukem in it and a few Duke Jokes, It would have been the absolute perfect Duke Nukem Forever game!
I liked Crysis 1 very much too and I was also able to run it maxed out with a decent frame rate relatively early after it got released.
As a Crysis 1 fan, I was fully prepared to hate on Crysis 2's consolish gameplay and graphics but as it turned out, the pc version is amazing.
Sure it's a very linear game now but the gameplay, ambient, sfx, music, story and graphics are top notch and much more balanced than they were in crysis 1.
Crysis 1 was more about graphics and gameplay and less on art design and story, while crysis 2 fixes all of those things and makes a damn fucking GREAT JOB TOO!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Based on Crysis, I wouldn't pay more than 20€ for Crysis 2.

View PostJamesCassidy, on Feb 25 2011, 10:25 AM, said:

Graphics alone do not make the game. Crysis has some of the best graphics, but that's about it.
Everything else is either terrible or ignored.

Absolute bullshit from top to bottom.
I will tell you what Crysis has besides graphics!
Crysis has fucking GAMEPLAY which not only that it's pure fun but it's also innovative.
That suit and it's modes, make for some fucking epic stealth or charge or berserk gameplay choices that sometimes will actually make you quick save before a fight and quick load it just to attempt to get past those npc's using a new technique!
Crysis also has the most advanced cinematic ambient ever to be conceived up to that point.
No other game made you feel like you are inside an action movie, so good before Crysis.
A cinematic game is not only made with graphics but also with a professional play on camera angles, sound effects, dynamic music and NPC acting credibility!

View PostJamesCassidy, on Feb 25 2011, 10:25 AM, said:

I can't get anyone to tell me what the story of Crysis is. All they tell me is what the graphics look like. True story.

That because you obviously asked only dumbshits or haters that probably couldn't run the game with more than 10 fps and called it quits after they blew huts for 2 hours...
There is a story in Crysis and the way it plays out makes it very ok.
Maybe fags are sad becuase there's no love story or any GMAN in a game where your character is a member of an elite secret governmental marine infiltration crew that gets dropped over an island taken by the korean army, after some scientists discovered fucking alien ships inside mountains...
After your get dropped in you find that chaos happened on that island after the koreans fucked with the mountain and aliens started coming out attacking everything.
Crysis's story is obviously about a soldier with a very high tech costume that finds himself at place where the apocalypse starts, where a small greedy war between koreans and americans over new alien tech explodes into an alien invasion world wide!
To me, that story was fucking cool because it's a pure sf story that's very fucking possible...
The story gave you every fucking reason to play through those paradise islands that looked so well and behaved so realistic.
The fact that you are in plain daylight, running through fucking paradise island forests and you are affraid of being attacked by aliens and by another army, is something that worked very well.

So guess what, you just found somebody that was able to tell you the story of Crysis. Now go and tell those stupid retards that weren't able to tell you it's story, to go fuck themselves and commit suicide!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 25 2011, 12:15 PM, said:

Crysis has fucking GAMEPLAY which not only that it's pure fun but it's also innovative.

WOW! I actually agree with you for once.

That suit and it's modes, make for some fucking epic stealth or charge or berserk gameplay choices that sometimes will actually make you quick save before a fight and quick load it just to attempt to get past those npc's using a new technique!
Crysis also has the most advanced cinematic ambient ever to be conceived up to that point.
No other game made you feel like you are inside an action movie, so good before Crysis.
A cinematic game is not only made with graphics but also with a professional play on camera angles, sound effects, dynamic music and NPC acting credibility!

That because you obviously asked only dumbshits or haters that probably couldn't run the game with more than 10 fps and called it quits after they blew huts for 2 hours...
There is a story in Crysis and the way it plays out makes it very ok.
Maybe fags are sad becuase there's no love story or any GMAN in a game where your character is a member of an elite secret governmental marine infiltration crew that gets dropped over an island taken by the korean army, after some scientists discovered fucking alien ships inside mountains...
After your get dropped in you find that chaos happened on that island after the koreans fucked with the mountain and aliens started coming out attacking everything.
Crysis's story is obviously about a soldier with a very high tech costume that finds himself at place where the apocalypse starts, where a small greedy war between koreans and americans over new alien tech explodes into an alien invasion world wide!
To me, that story was fucking cool because it's a pure sf story that's very fucking possible...
The story gave you every fucking reason to play through those paradise islands that looked so well and behaved so realistic.
The fact that you are in plain daylight, running through fucking paradise island forests and you are affraid of being attacked by aliens and by another army, is something that worked very well.

So guess what, you just found somebody that was able to tell you the story of Crysis. Now go and tell those stupid retards that weren't able to tell you it's story, to go fuck themselves and commit suicide!

Total quote about Crysis gameplay. It was fun, solid and epic. To me it was like a next-gen far cry, VERY free , very open to multiple playthroughs in a word, awesome.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Tell your friends to join this forum and make his argument public all the messages your friend will get will probably make him reconsider his life choices.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 25 2011, 10:15 PM, said:

That's funny, cuz I found the fights so boring that my preferred method was to use the maximum speed mode to run past enemy checkpoints.

As for the graphics, they weren't really effectively utilized as the jungle environment quickly got repetitive.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2011, 02:12 PM, said:

That's funny, cuz I found the fights so boring that my preferred method was to use the maximum speed mode to run past enemy checkpoints.

There is no point in criticizing the game for that. There are a few other fps games where you can also dodge fights and run past your enemies if you really want to.
Playing Road Runner style is what I consider boring. If you much rather run and jump and dodge every single fight like a hopper, then that's what I find boring gameplay.
Why didn't you just use a noclip cheat too if you were at it...
The fact that Crysis is so damn awesome to even allow gamers to run like mad, avoiding fights is more proof of how open it is to everybody's gameplay style.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2011, 02:12 PM, said:

As for the graphics, they weren't really effectively utilized as the jungle environment quickly got repetitive.

They are trees, what do you want them to look like? Go inside a forest in real life and I guarantee you it will also become repetitive.
I never found the forests repetitive nor did I find graphics being overused or used wrongly.
That's a matter of taste. I liked it very much and with so much shit on screen, the last thing I cared about were repetitive forests...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2011, 01:12 PM, said:

If you think Crysis fights are boring then i don't really know what might catch your attention.

Enemies flank you, use vehicles, set traps up to get you off guard, hide and wait. I still vividly remember a fight in a little town where 3 tanks start to converge onto you (while soldiers spread and hunt you down) , it made me feel so fucking great! I was hyper jumping on top of buildings, smashing windows, lobbing grenades , cloaking, took out every soldier while tanks took blind shots at me(played it with my high quality earphones, eargasm ).

In the end i manage to take out the 3 tanks and all around me i can only hear silence, smoke coming up, sun shining down, only the noise of nature in the background.

Fucking epic to me, i guess i m easily amusable.

User is offline   cdlink14 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2011, 09:12 PM, said:

If that's how you get your kicks in Crysis, then good for you.

But I'd recommend you stay away from the multiplayer. You'll have a very hard time running away from fights there.

Infact if your sole means of completing a game means running past every enemy, I'd like to recommend you to Mirrors Edge.

User is offline   Stabs 

Crysis really is a great game, I love how you can use ppl like body shields and the higher rank you take hostage the less likely they will shoot you.

Play it as a rambo style with single shot assault rifle + strength + silencer and you mow through ppl on any difficulty and you dont need to be all boring with stealth.

and How can you not find throwing an entire boat motor through a crappy little shack and totally destroying it, not fun?

Aww, did I struck a nerve Mr. Deviance? Want your blanket now that I insulted your precious Crysis? Too Bad, trollobite. (Yes, that is a made up word. No, I didn't miss spell it. I am being facetious. Look it up.) You say Crysis has all these good things, but come on man, it's been done before. It's all been done before. What else is new? The only thing people really cared about in that game was the sandbox, but then again G-Mod has been around longer and done a lot more things. I can think of thousands of games that have a better story than Crysis did.

Wow, a super soldier wearing armor fighting aliens and humans....yup, that is original. Just like the last thousand odd Sci-fi games that came out. If you want a cinematic game, play Heavy Rain. That is basically a cinematic interactive movie. Hell, at least the story is more interesting.

You show me one Crysis fan that cared more about the story than the graphics and I will show you a gamer who isn't shallow. About 90% of all Crysis players care more about the graphics and that's it. 9.99% maybe like the gameplay. 0.01% cared about the story. If I am asking the wrong people then who should I ask, the people who don't play the game? I guess you are saying 90% of all Crysis fans are fags and whatnot since that's all I ever hear. (Here is where you categorize yourself in that 0.01% or say my words are bullchips, but really I don't give a crap and neither should you. Believe what you want, but you are no better than the rest of them.)

"The graphics are not like Crysis." <--- number one line since Crysis came out.

Now Crysis 2 is coming out and I played the demo and such and it's still not appealing to me, because it has been done and beaten to death. BTW, the sniping mechanic sucks. Don't know why developers have a hard time making sniper rifles effective. Also, didn't know I could chop down trees with a hand gun. Thanks Crysis.

Half-Life 2's graphics are not even close to Crysis' and yet people appreciate that game more. Maybe because it has a better story and one other thing: "Gravity gun." It also has awesome cinematics just like you said and you are apart of or didn't you notice that because you were so busy looking at the graphics and hating on the fanboys?

If you want to say Crysis is good, then by all means. Good for you, but the majority is that most don't care about the story. All they cared about was the graphics and you are even dumber than them if you didn't even notice how shallow gamers have gotten. Even you. If you want to care so much about your goddamn graphics then don't play Duke Nukem. Don't even touch it. Since it is so inferior to your precious Crysis, then I guess Duke Nukem is not worthy enough for you OR are you going to be a hypocrite like every other hater on the internet and put his foot in his mouth?

Our opinions are just that, doesn't mean we are right, but I do know that graphics alone don't make a game good or fun. In fact, I know and you know several games that have "inferior graphics" to Crysis and yet are so much more popular than it. Like I said, all the people I know who have played Crysis, and it is about 20, didn't give two rats ass about the story and only cared about the sandbox. Now we have 3 people here who think Crysis' story is the dog's bollocks and you say your opinion out weighs 20 others? What about the other million people who bought the game? What about the millions of people who didn't buy the game? You don't care about the people who hate the game or find no interest in it because you just say they are stupid.

I bet Mr. Deviance that you can't even look at a game without even thinking about the graphics first. I can, and it has worked wonders picking out what games rock and which ones don't.

The rest can be explained here don't need to say what was already said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...ation/21-Crysis

Now, shut up because this is getting nowhere and we are going off-topic. It's not "How awesome/crappy Crysis is."

P.S. Let me get this out of the way for you: Since Crysis 2 is coming to the xbox360 and PS3, I guess the game sucks because it has been "consolized" as many would say and the graphics don't look as good, right? At least that's what most will say.

P.P.S. The one thing I did like about Crysis, was it's amazing lighting effects and it's ability to portray time. As in time of day, going from sunrise to sunset. So I can't say Crysis is all bad, in fact I like the game play. The story just lacks. Just so we are clear and say I didn't play the game or nothing.

This post has been edited by JamesCassidy: 25 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

User is offline   N64 

I remember this:

Re: New screenshots of DNF in Duke3D XLBA

Haha.

Crysis' character faces look better than Gears, Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.

What does that mean? Nothing.

I wasn't aware that Crysis ran on reasonable hardware or sold 5-10 million units like the above games.

It's easy to bump resolution and use a 2048x2048 for a face or character, but the question is....what's better for gameplay and a game actually running, vs a screenshot. You don't sell screenshots. You sell games.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

George Broussard 09-29-2008, 11:20 PM
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php...p;postcount=678

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostJamesCassidy, on Feb 25 2011, 06:11 PM, said:

Now, shut up because this is getting nowhere and we are going off-topic.

That giant post of yours along with telling him to shut up... I think this is only the beginning. :P

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 25 2011, 11:52 PM, said:

Why didn't you just use a noclip cheat too if you were at it...

Because that's cheating. Ever heard of principles?

The fact that Crysis is so damn awesome to even allow gamers to run like mad, avoiding fights is more proof of how open it is to everybody's gameplay style.

Avoiding fights is not my "gameplay style". I ran away because it was the least bad alternative.

They are trees, what do you want them to look like?

I don't expect trees to not look like trees. This wasn't my argument. My argument was that Crysis' looks were repetitive. Other factors could mitigate this but with the tiresome gameplay you're left with boring firefights in repetitive environments.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJamesCassidy, on Feb 25 2011, 12:25 PM, said:

Graphics alone do not make the game. Crysis has some of the best graphics, but that's about it. Everything else is either terrible or ignored. I can't get anyone to tell me what the story of Crysis is. All they tell me is what the graphics look like. True story.

Crysis is a war game. What story would you want? Survival, strategy – Period. If you look for a story, read Harry Potter. :P

Graphics are important. If the game does not look half decent, then I'm not interested. It does not have to be another Heavy Rain. Yes, yes, yes, game play, well, is that not what games are supposed to be in the first place? If you only have graphics to offer, maybe you should change your line of product.

The graphics in the original Duke Nukem, were very good for the time period. And so far the graphics I've seen on the trailers for DNF are good also. DNF won't flop, methinks. It looks good, sounds good and promises a lot of fun, I think it will do the opposite, it will be a come back. And all doubters will either shut up, or shall roast in gamer's hell.

View PostJamesCassidy, on Feb 25 2011, 04:11 PM, said:

Aww, did I struck a nerve Mr. Deviance? Want your blanket now that I insulted your precious Crysis? Too Bad, trollobite. (Yes, that is a made up word. No, I didn't miss spell it. I am being facetious. Look it up.) You say Crysis has all these good things, but come on man, it's been done before. It's all been done before. What else is new? The only thing people really cared about in that game was the sandbox, but then again G-Mod has been around longer and done a lot more things. I can think of thousands of games that have a better story than Crysis did.

First you posted something that clearly shows your love for stereotypes and lack of personal opinions.
Your post was just a set of cliches and stereotypes that seem to be based on what you've heard. My reply to you was not made because you struck any of my nerves, I made it because I simply don't agree with you at all.
Judging from how agitated your last post seems, it might seem that I've struck some of your nerves :D
Though I must say that I was wondering if you ever get tired of bland generalizations? As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no proof that people only cared about the sandbox! That's just what you probably heard or what you think based on nothing...
Also why do you feel the need to tell me that you've seen thousands of games that have better stories than Crysis? Does it look like I said that Crysis has the best story of all time?
Are you even older than 16? Or am I up against a kid that acts on adrenaline impulses that get triggered each time he attempts to make a contradictory point?
After reading your entire reply I noticed that you are more keen to flash your teenage ego in my face than to prove me wrong with actual facts...

Wow, a super soldier wearing armor fighting aliens and humans....yup, that is original. Just like the last thousand odd Sci-fi games that came out. If you want a cinematic game, play Heavy Rain. That is basically a cinematic interactive movie. Hell, at least the story is more interesting.

The story is not original but then again very few stories are original in games these days.
You said that your incapable mates weren't able to tell you the story of Crysis... Now after I told it to you, you try to change the subject and start debating how original it was.
The fact that it has a story which is enough to be the subject of debate of whether it's original or not, is enough to drive the gameplay for any person that wishes to have fun in an fps game. For a hater/nitpicker like you, obviously there will always be flaws to put it down for, just like any other game for that matter.
As for Heavy Rain, I find it quite dumb of you to bring it up as part of your justification, when that game was released years after Crysis and released exclusively on the ps3...

You show me one Crysis fan that cared more about the story than the graphics and I will show you a gamer who isn't shallow. About 90% of all Crysis players care more about the graphics and that's it. 9.99% maybe like the gameplay. 0.01% cared about the story. If I am asking the wrong people then who should I ask, the people who don't play the game? I guess you are saying 90% of all Crysis fans are fags and whatnot since that's all I ever hear. (Here is where you categorize yourself in that 0.01% or say my words are bullchips, but really I don't give a crap and neither should you. Believe what you want, but you are no better than the rest of them.)

It just so happens that I cared about all of them equally. Maybe you forget or maybe if you are too young, you simply don't know that some of us have played another great crytek game before crysis.
It might surprise you to learn that me and many others, waited years for crysis to finally get a release date simply because many of us knew what level of quality to expect from crytek's games since they proved themselves with farcry 1.
So if you really want me to show you Crysis fans that didn't primarily care about it's graphics, you should just look at the posts made in this topic by the other members. In case you didn't notice, there are a few others here that agreed with my views on Crysis, so it's quite possible that you are already looking at such Crysis fans without realizing it.
As for your precise percentages of people that do this and do that, I strongly recommend you to come with some official statistics or kindly shut the fuck up with your made up numbers.
It's obvious that anybody here can make up percentages and generalize about them.
I could also make up some percentages and say that for ex. 90% of the people on this forum disagree with you while 9.99% appear to like your non existent avatar and 0.01% would actually want to become your best friends.
But if I said that, I would obviously say something that only I consider to be true without any proof that certifies them to be true.

"The graphics are not like Crysis." <--- number one line since Crysis came out.

So? Is there a problem if Crysis has the best graphics ever conceived?
Are you also a jealous person that can't play it maxed out and have a decent frame rate?
What's it to you if all the other FPS games released since, are compared with Crysis's graphics?
Whether you like it or not, the game still has the best graphics, which allow other people to compare them with other games and still ask themselves why after 5 years, games still don't match Crysis in looks.
I find it a very nice and valid(otherwise self explaining) question.

Now Crysis 2 is coming out and I played the demo and such and it's still not appealing to me, because it has been done and beaten to death. BTW, the sniping mechanic sucks. Don't know why developers have a hard time making sniper rifles effective. Also, didn't know I could chop down trees with a hand gun. Thanks Crysis.

Ok, that's your opinion. I happen to like Crysis 2 too and I find it quite different in all aspects from the first one but that's another story.

Half-Life 2's graphics are not even close to Crysis' and yet people appreciate that game more. Maybe because it has a better story and one other thing: "Gravity gun." It also has awesome cinematics just like you said and you are apart of or didn't you notice that because you were so busy looking at the graphics and hating on the fanboys?

Comparing Half-Life 2 with Crysis is useless because they are 2 completely different games released at a huge distance between them.
Half Life 2 is the sequel of one of the best selling fps games of all time while Crysis attempted to become itself one of the best selling fps games of all time and put the base for a new IP, which they did manage to do with or without the likes of you.
And while hl2 had some really impressive graphics for it's time, I still think crysis revolutionized them when it came.
I don't see a competition between hl2 and crysis at all. They both brought revolutionary graphics, cinematics and gameplay. They just did it in their own times.

If you want to say Crysis is good, then by all means. Good for you, but the majority is that most don't care about the story. All they cared about was the graphics and you are even dumber than them if you didn't even notice how shallow gamers have gotten. Even you. If you want to care so much about your goddamn graphics then don't play Duke Nukem. Don't even touch it. Since it is so inferior to your precious Crysis, then I guess Duke Nukem is not worthy enough for you OR are you going to be a hypocrite like every other hater on the internet and put his foot in his mouth?

It's not about me wanting to say that Crysis is good, I already said it above and so have others in reply to my upper post.
And you are right, it is good for me because if I wouldn't have played it and beaten it, I think it would have been bad for me to lose such an experience.
As for gamers getting shallow, I did notice that but what I did notice is that only younger gamers are shallow. I noticed a trend that gamers do get more and more shallow as you look go down the age scale.
At this point I see you have started to get really buthurt and it seems that assumptions and generalisations have become the main trait of your replies.
You can rest assured, I am mature enough to not wait DNF for it's graphics nor to hope it's a graphical competition for crysis 1 or 2.
I know very well what makes Duke Nukem a cool game since I did play Duke Nukem games ever since the first one came out, so I should know...

Our opinions are just that, doesn't mean we are right, but I do know that graphics alone don't make a game good or fun. In fact, I know and you know several games that have "inferior graphics" to Crysis and yet are so much more popular than it. Like I said, all the people I know who have played Crysis, and it is about 20, didn't give two rats ass about the story and only cared about the sandbox. Now we have 3 people here who think Crysis' story is the dog's bollocks and you say your opinion out weighs 20 others? What about the other million people who bought the game? What about the millions of people who didn't buy the game? You don't care about the people who hate the game or find no interest in it because you just say they are stupid.

I didn't say my opinion out weighs 20 others but now that you brought this subject by yourself, I will actually tell you that my opinion could potentially outweigh that of 20 others if all those just happen to be as ignorant and as biased as you are.
One thing is sure though! Somebody that's able to think for himself could potentially outweigh a million or even more superficial people that just form their opinions strictly based on what others are doing and saying.
There's a very obvious difference between the smart people and the masses. Maybe you didn't hear until now, but masses are made out of dumb asses.
If you go with the flow and follow the masses, then you will never be able to have your own opinion nor be able to think for yourself.
Also I never said that people who didn't buy the game are stupid. You are inventing shit that I didn't say.
I have real life friends that didn't buy the game either and I didn't call them stupid. I have much more important things to care about in life than to call people stupid over who bought a game or not.
What I do know however, is that loads of people hated this game for the simple reason that it didn't run smooth on their systems.
I have also witnessed loads and loads of ignorance and lots of shit talked about this game by people that never even played it.
I have personally seen at least 100 different people that were preaching to others, how crysis is shit and doesn't run well even though they had never played the game themselves. I know very well that millions of people are superficial and ignorant and they much rather hear bad things about something controversial than to complicate their lives to actually find how to work past the issues. The cult of ignorance is very easy to build among superficial people.

I bet Mr. Deviance that you can't even look at a game without even thinking about the graphics first. I can, and it has worked wonders picking out what games rock and which ones don't.

The rest can be explained here don't need to say what was already said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...ation/21-Crysis

You won't bet because you will lose, besides do you even have a job to pay the lost bet? :P
Also nice to see you are once again openly showing me and everybody else how your opinions can't exist without a third party site or people that tell you things...
Maybe you should send me a wikipedia link too, next time, right?

Now, shut up because this is getting nowhere and we are going off-topic. It's not "How awesome/crappy Crysis is."

I'm sure that's exactly what you would like me to do. To shut up and not destroy your post like I just did.
How can you ever expect me to deny myself the pleasure of dismantling such an exploitable and superficial thinking as yours?
The forum would lose part of what makes it so fun if I suddenly decided to take your offer. If I shut up, nobody else will take his time to point out your bullshit and your desperate attempts to hate on crysis without a valid argumentation lol:

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

P.S. Let me get this out of the way for you: Since Crysis 2 is coming to the xbox360 and PS3, I guess the game sucks because it has been "consolized" as many would say and the graphics don't look as good, right? At least that's what most will say.

I don't think the game looks bad because it's on consoles. I have played the pc version beta leak and it looked very well done and had much higher graphics details than the console versions.

P.P.S. The one thing I did like about Crysis, was it's amazing lighting effects and it's ability to portray time. As in time of day, going from sunrise to sunset. So I can't say Crysis is all bad, in fact I like the game play. The story just lacks. Just so we are clear and say I didn't play the game or nothing.

Nope, the story doesn't lack at all, it's just your opinion.

User is offline   Camelot 

Well today, almost every FPS developer wants to make a new game and wants it to be remembered for something, be the gameplay, the story, or its graphics.
And it takes less time to focus on better graphics (unless you're making a new graphic engine by scratch) than on a complex story or immersive gameplay, which requires good ideas and plenty of time to recreate them succesfully.
Most gamers (specially casual ones) and devs live in this context. just like that friend of themaniacboy. Sure, graphics are being updated every second on videogame world, but we should also recognize that Duke Nukem 3D is now remembered as the awesome game that is not exactly for its graphics, and if we're lucky, we might remember DNF in the future for that same special thing (be the character, the ambientation, or the gameplay).

Jamescassidy Crysis is a gift to pc gamers. Exclusive, kickass title that took 2-3 years to be ran flawlessly ( 60+fps) on the highest settings and filters activated.

I admit i bought it because it looked awesome, so what?
That s the reason i bought a Pentium for Doom! And a 3dfx for GLQuake! PC gaming has always been about graphics AND gameplay.

Buy you know what? I found Crysis was REALLY fun and made me really feel like i had many ways to accomplish my goal, something VERY few titles gave to me.

If you really don't take your time right now to buy Crysis on Steam ( 9€? maybe less) you re really purposedly missing out on a great game.
Nowadays a mid-high end pc gaming rig can make it run nicely enough to enjoy it fully without ragequitting cause of lacking hw :P.

Btw i d like to see a video of miko rushing through the game, as i am trying right now and there are many places where you simply can't do it.
I smell bullshit, Crysis will always be a victim of its own strenghts. It gave pc gamers a mouthfull of pc muscle and it only received bitchy comments back.

Pc master race? It went the way of the dinosaurs after 2000, sadly. A few of us remain but we can't stand a chance:).

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options