Duke4.net Forums: "Duke Nukem Forever will flop" - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Duke Nukem Forever will flop"  "Graphics aren't up to standards"

Hello there, you guys should read this and post your opinion.
According to some gamestore called "e-plaza", this game will be a flop when it is released because the game's graphics aren't up to the standards of these days, this is what i heard from my friend last night.

I do not believe this, infact, i raised my voice when i heard this from a friend that told me the game will flop due to it's graphics, i think this is utter bullshit.

Graphics are essential he said.
If this game doesn't have graphics that are accepted by most people nowadays this game will flop.
I disagreed by telling him that graphics aren't everything and that these graphics are fine for me.
We had a half hour discussion about this, he wouldn't admit that it was just some opinion from a guy that sells games and thinks he knows more then most people by playing the latest demo from the game.

What do you think ?
Are graphics a critical need for gamers ?
Or will they say, graphics aren't best, but gameplay is awesome.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Actually graphics are very important to me. What I don't get is why people think DNF has bad graphics. The game looks pretty fantastic.

Ask these "e-plaza" guys if they think Gears of War looks like shit because that's what DNF is up to par with.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Game looks great.

Actually graphics are very important to me. What I don't get is why people think DNF has bad graphics. The game looks pretty fantastic.

Ask these "e-plaza" guys if they think Gears of War looks like shit because that's what DNF is up to par with.

I will do and i'll surely ask where they played the demo, according to them, it was the latest demo you could get your hands on.
I also told my friend that i am sure the guys at Duke4.net will disagree with this.
He replied, yeah, but these guys are Duke Nukem fans.

I need some argument to convince my friend that the guy from the gamestore, was just talking bullshit and his opinion.

Game looks great.

I really do agree with you on that.
I am also sure people with older systems can play this game, which is great because most games these days require insane hardcore computers these days to get the full "experience".

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Any game made to be played on consoles should be able to run flawlessly on most system 3~5 years old. It is good that the game is able to be optimized to run high graphics on such slow systems as the xbox 360 or PS3.

I think the graphics look fine; There are no glaring rigid edges on models or such. Art direction is different than graphic quality, of course.

It still bothers me my friend said DNF's best competitor is Call of Duty.
I hate Call of Duty.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 24 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

Ask him why he thinks Duke 3D did so well. That should make him think

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 24 2011, 07:38 PM, said:

Yes, but DNF does not pale in comparison to console shooters with which it will compete whileas PC fanatics will buy it simply because it's DNF.

View PostYatta, on Feb 24 2011, 09:41 AM, said:

This man speaks the truth.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 25 2011, 06:38 AM, said:

I say no.

Even though I have never played these games and never will, but ask him how well World of Warcraft and Eve have done... Look at the "graphics" in them.

And then you can also mention Minecraft, graphics don't mean shit.
End of story.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 24 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 24 2011, 12:17 PM, said:

Even though I have never played these games and never will.
End of story.

What? Do you mean Gears of War? Jeez dude you gotta play that!

And graphics are just as important as gameplay. Not more important, but still important.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

No, I meant I have not played World of Warcraft or Eve. (Look at the sale figures of these games)
I tried playing GOW once but it was not my type of game.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

And if you look at the other end of the scale at games like Crysis which was released in 2007 and had graphics way beyond anything else released at that point... and nobody was able to play it due to that.

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 24 2011, 01:23 PM, said:

I tried playing GOW once but it was not my type of game.

*Hydra mega super massive facepalm*

When you say standards, do you mean as good as crysis? Most games are not based on graphics, and they do fine too. And a game is not a "fail" game if it isn't the best in the world.

User is offline   Stewox 

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 24 2011, 06:38 PM, said:

Hello there, you guys should read this and post your opinion.
According to some gamestore called "e-plaza", this game will be a flop when it is released because the game's graphics aren't up to the standards of these days, this is what i heard from my friend last night.

I do not believe this, infact, i raised my voice when i heard this from a friend that told me the game will flop due to it's graphics, i think this is utter bullshit.

Graphics are essential he said.
If this game doesn't have graphics that are accepted by most people nowadays this game will flop.
I disagreed by telling him that graphics aren't everything and that these graphics are fine for me.
We had a half hour discussion about this, he wouldn't admit that it was just some opinion from a guy that sells games and thinks he knows more then most people by playing the latest demo from the game.

What do you think ?
Or will they say, graphics aren't best, but gameplay is awesome.

ask any PC or nintendo old timer , graphics are the least problem , the least thing you should be concerned about ,

what do graphics give you if the game's buggy crash and freezy and shit unbalanced gameplay - graphics become worthless

nintendo games always lacked techological graphics but they got the strong artistic design that was the crucial in link with the feel, spirit and game as a whole , some of them are masterpieces easily winning over most PC games ever. there's no xbox360 and PS3 game that can win over PC , but nintendo has many of them - first parties are without any remote competition.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 24 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostMicky C, on Feb 24 2011, 03:23 PM, said:

And if you look at the other end of the scale at games like Crysis which was released in 2007 and had graphics way beyond anything else released at that point... and nobody was able to play it due to that.

I was thinking the same thing. As for Crysis 2, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy that game.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

This is starting to remind me of the "bit wars" way back when. Bits don't necessarily mean a game will have better graphics than their lesser bit counterparts, just like games that don't have the best graphics doesn't mean that the game itself is bad. Graphics are important to a point, but the more essential piece is making sure the game\gameplay is good.

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

fuck the graphics, Im just looking foward to play a FUN and immersive FPS for goddam once

User is offline   Stabs 

I really dont think the net reflects all of dukes audience, he has a big one and everyone i know, gamer or not knows of duke nukem, and in particular duke3d and they love it :P

View PostMartyMcFly, on Feb 24 2011, 05:04 PM, said:

fuck the graphics, Im just looking foward to play a FUN and immersive FPS for goddam once

im with you marty, we want some good old duke interactive and shoot em up, not some graphics competition

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 24 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Gears of War blows donkeys for quarters. "LOLO GRAFIX!!1" people are just shallow idiots who should be disregarded.

User is offline   randir14 

I cant think of any game that has flopped because of the graphics, in fact there are probably a lot of flops that had nice graphics.
So I don't think graphics are essential, but even if DNF is awesome in all other areas there will be plenty of people bashing it for what they perceive as outdated visuals.

This post has been edited by randir14: 24 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   ferran275 

I have one word to end all this: Wii

stupid kids and soccer moms aside, the Wii puts out some extremely fun games that have terrible at times graphics

User is offline   Sean1978 

Here's a screen shot from the only game I bought this year:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sean1978: 24 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Commander has an excellent point. Look at a game sales and hours played, and the graphics aren't there. Never thought of it like that.

Graphics don't matter much to me... I will play DooM on the PS1 OR the SNES... so yeah, that is kind of like a Crack Whore situation with me... but seriously, I will say this... recently while the PS2 sat idle with its amazing 32" screen, the group of us were playing Duke Nukem Advance on GameBoy SP's multi-player... Tiny screens, blocky graphics, but fun as HELL!

Shrink, Stomp, repeat. :P

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 24 2011, 09:17 PM, said:

I say no.

Even though I have never played these games and never will, but ask him how well World of Warcraft and Eve have done... Look at the "graphics" in them.

End of story.

According to him, these games are a different genre then WoW, a game like Fallout 3 was a succes because it was it's own game.
Again these are not my words, this is what he said

Here's a screen shot from the only game I bought this year:

Is that the Voxelengine ?
I played Wolfenstein on that engine and you could litterally destroy everything.
Í know what you mean with this, gameplay is the most important thing, i do agree with you on that, but these days, most people say, wow amazing graphics, but gameplay sucks, i am going to buy it anyway because the eyecandy is so good.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 24 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

View Postthemaniacboy, on Feb 24 2011, 12:38 PM, said:

FUCK NO!

Great graphics do not make a game. Graphics can add to the experience, but they are not the most important part of the whole. Well, at least they shouldn't be.

Style and art design go much further than graphics. Gameplay above all.

DNF's graphics look fine.

The guy is an idiot (like most who fixate on graphics for an argument about whether a game will be good or not). Stop wasting your time with him.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

I don't care what they say. To me Duke should be in a genre all it's own and cannot be compared to any game.
So however the graphics look, if you play Duke, you play it for Duke. That's what you should expect, nothing more, nothing less!

User is offline   Sharpie 

Reminds me of the Wii arguments back in the day. A games art style is very important. But the actual pure technical power is not in the slightest.
Have a look at games like Mario Galaxy. It has an amazing art style but not technically amazing graphics. Duke Nukem Forever appears the same. The whole game world appears to be very bold, colourful and most of all crazy fun. That's all that matters imo. The game looks great but its not a technical masterpiece in the department. Duke has never been about that anyway.

The problem is these days are the fuckwit fanboys that are rampant and loudest on the internet. They are the ones that say a game is only good with amazing marvel of graphics. It is simply not true.

Besides DNF could be the worst game in the world and it would still sell of the Duke Nukem name and the games history. Even better though is the fact the game appears to be fantastic. :P

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options