Duke4.net Forums: Getting larger-than-256x images into .art files? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting larger-than-256x images into .art files?

Editart's import feature goes no farther than 256x256, even if the image being imported from is larger. I want higher-res images for parallaxing, which apparently works, since there are 128x400 images in 3DR's .art files. Is this possible?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Test the waters with the tilefromtexture DEF command. I've read that the largest size ART will support is 1024x512.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Let's say you have a 512x512 image, and you're trying to import it. Whether working from a filled tile or any empty one, it will only import based on whatever that tile's size has been designated. So if it's designated as 256x256, it'll only import half of the graphic. Set the size to 512x512, or larger, and it should import correctly. Also, before you import, always put your cursor in the top left of the screen.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Feb 23 2011, 07:22 PM, said:

Let's say you have a 512x512 image, and you're trying to import it. Whether working from a filled tile or any empty one, it will only import based on whatever that tile's size has been designated. So if it's designated as 256x256, it'll only import half of the graphic. Set the size to 512x512, or larger, and it should import correctly. Also, before you import, always put your cursor in the top left of the screen.

Yeah that was the first thing I tried actually and it didn't change anything. All the bounding box (after pressing U) seems to allow is 256,256, regardless if the tile its being imported to is smaller or larger than that,

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Dukeres actually allows you to import larger images, I'm not sure the limits but I've been able to put in some funky image sizes.

480x480 seems to be the acceptable max, but I think you can go higher, like 512x512, it just didn't work well for me when I was messing with parallax skies.

However theres a flaw with it in importing PCXs involving the palette, that one of the hi-bright colors is the same as the transparent color. I actually had to hack it to make it useful for me. I'm not sure why I can't get BMPs to import into it, only PCX with a duke3d palette work properly(and are flipped).

It also can be touchy and destroy art files, and delete doesn't work, you pretty much use cut to delete. Its also a good idea to delete images instead of out right replacing them, this can cause problems if the new image size is different, like corrupting the proceeding images. Otherwise I can't stop using it, its handles ART, GRP, Quake PAKs. You can build you entire GRP with it.

I just wish it was completed or had some kind of source release.

I won't posted the hacked exe because I'm don't think that would be proper, but you can message me about it.

This post has been edited by Scott_AW: 24 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

The original .art files actually have some tiles in sized at 320 x 200 for the logo and ending screens. Incidentally this is the largest size I ever tried to import with EditArt and I woud not reccomend trying to exceed that size.

Come to think of it, didn't SW or Blood have some tiles that were 512x512?

User is online   zykov eddy 

You can import 512\512 tiles, but don't even think to use them as a floor texture

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Try using the EditArt included here. It should work with this version.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostHendricks266, on Feb 24 2011, 12:05 PM, said:

Test the waters with the tilefromtexture DEF command. I've read that the largest size ART will support is 1024x512.

This +1

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options