Duke4.net Forums: doom 4 = doom 2? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

doom 4 = doom 2?

i was thinking to myself that doom 4, that if its going to be on earth as the setting, it would seem only reasoniable to make it very close to the game doom 2. Your thoughts? ;)

No.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Has there been any word on a doom 4?

What I still find funny is how they said that Doom4 is neither a sequel to Doom 3 nor a reboot of the franchise.
Which makes me wonder what the fuck is there left?
Can a prequel be made without calling it a reboot of the franchise?
And if they make a new game with a new main character, does that mean it's a reboot?
Can a perfect remake of doom1 or doom2 be classified as reboot?
Think about it.
How is a game supposed to not be a sequel nor a reboot?

Hopefully we will get more info at Quakecon this year.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe they just mean that it won't be a reboot of the gameplay style, as Doom 3 was....dramatically.

I don't know. I stopped trying to figure that out and just explained it away as they don't know what the heck they're doing so they're just giving out vague messages to keep us interested.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 25 2011, 09:38 PM, said:

What I still find funny is how they said that Doom4 is neither a sequel to Doom 3 nor a reboot of the franchise.
And if they make a new game with a new main character, does that mean it's a reboot?
Think about it.

my thoughts exactly

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 26 2011, 05:38 AM, said:

Maybe it's just another label re-use like they did with Quake/QuakeII because they have no better idea how to name their new shooter.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 26 2011, 01:38 AM, said:

Think about it.

Doom 4 Arena? (Like they did with Quake 3)

I hope not but it's what I can imagine. Quake 3 would be much better if it had a Single-Player campaing.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 26 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

All that's been said to my knowledge is that it will be graphically superior to Rage. Rage targets 60 fps, Doom 4 will apparently be targeting 30 fps. I am not sure if Carmack means on current consoles or what. If he means 30 fps on current PCs, that should be pretty damn amazing.

If they make an mp oriented doom game, then that's a bad idea and it's also a reboot in my opinion.
Also, if you think about it, they can't even make a prequel for doom, since there's nothing important to show, that could have happened before doom3.
Doom3 was a reboot that managed to show how everything started and ended too.
The only 2 things that doom4 can be are either a remake of doom1 with higher graphics, or a retelling of doom1 and doom2 with a new art style...

I would definitely like to see a new doom game, that would actually match the art design from the first 2 games while making use of next gen graphics.
Reproducing the doom1 and doom2 art style with the help of top notch graphics, should prove almost impossible to achieve and incredibly cool if done right!
A Doom game that has all of it's levels made like the first DNF level which is a remake of the last DN3D level! Imagine that for doom but with 100 times more details and graphical fidelity! That would be the most awesome thing ever!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 26 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   Raziel 

Well, there is another possibility... some time-continuim distortion story or something where some dude goes back in the past to try and stop it from happening. Or perhaps it will be Doom 1/3 told from a different person's perspective. That would be neither a sequel nor a reboot, but more like a side-story.

View PostRaziel, on Feb 26 2011, 05:13 PM, said:

Well, there is another possibility... some time-continuim distortion story or something where some dude goes back in the past to try and stop it from happening. Or perhaps it will be Doom 1/3 told from a different person's perspective. That would be neither a sequel nor a reboot, but more like a side-story.

Maybe you will play as an imp...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Doom 3 was a re-imagining of the Doom universe. If Doom 4 isn't a sequel to Doom 3 or a reboot, that says to me it is the true Doom 3, as in, a sequel to Doom 2. You're putting too much thought into this shit, id said it'd be a return to the old gameplay, story and shit does not matter. I just want to be able to punch assholes into a pile of guts.

User is offline   Stabs 

if doom 4 isnt 10000 angry demons, and 1 guy with a shotgun it can get fucked

View PostDanM, on Feb 27 2011, 09:20 PM, said:

if doom 4 isnt 10000 angry demons, and 1 guy with a shotgun it can get fucked

i really hope it doesn;t go bad, well heres to hope that it makes a good return

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Feb 27 2011, 10:16 PM, said:

a sequel to Doom 2

Yes, please.

User is offline   #SH@DOW# 

doom II setting and plot would be nice.

View Post#SH@DOW#, on Mar 1 2011, 06:54 AM, said:

i think we all can agree on that

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

We all know that Doom 4 is going to be called a DNF clone :P

User is offline   Ranger366 

View PostMicky C, on Mar 2 2011, 04:07 AM, said:

NO WAY!
Who would ever do this?

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on Mar 2 2011, 08:07 AM, said:

Only if you mean development time...

View Post#SH@DOW#, on Mar 1 2011, 02:54 PM, said:

The only plot as i see it, was killing monsters xD

User is offline   Ranger366 

View PostJhect, on Mar 2 2011, 11:22 AM, said:

The only plot as i see it, was killing monsters xD

When you played Doom 2, your body got filled with strange feelings...
not able to feel what's around you in the real world.
You actually thought that in the computer was the real world.

Damn, i need to reinstall it again.

Try it on the PSX, i find that version a whole lot better.

Maybe it's just because that was the version i played as a kid and now i have these nostalgic feelings for it :P

View PostJhect, on Mar 2 2011, 12:58 PM, said:

Try it on the PSX, i find that version a whole lot better.

Maybe it's just because that was the version i played as a kid and now i have these nostalgic feelings for it :P

PC version is the true way to play doom games.
PSX is too different and it's music changes it's ambient entirely.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Well you can say the same about the PC version. It's two very different games. New monster sounds, new mucis that is now very slow, dark, scary. But you can't say that one of them is too different because in the end, they are both just as much different as the other one :P

View PostJhect, on Mar 3 2011, 04:58 PM, said:

Well you can say the same about the PC version. It's two very different games. New monster sounds, new mucis that is now very slow, dark, scary. But you can't say that one of them is too different because in the end, they are both just as much different as the other one :P

Yeah but the pc version came first and the pc version has all of it's content made by it's original team.
The ps1 version came out years after the pc version and has suffered lots of modifications which were done by new people that never worked at the original game to begin with.
Back then the notion of modding didn't exist but if it did, the ps1 version would be just that.
For me and for all of the original doom fans, the ps1 is just a mod that changes sounds and edits the maps a bit.
If you want a real different version of doom that's actually worth talking about, then play Doom 64!
In case you don't know, Doom 64 is a completely new and different game that still manages to retain the cool doom ambient, while using completely different assets!
To me and to many others, doom 64 was the true doom 3.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yes, you might be right because i know nothing about the history of doom :S

What i am trying to say, is that we can't really compare these 2 games as they are nearly completely different games.

And i also want to point out, that the fact that the team that made the PC version didn't make the PSX version doesn't make the PSX version worse. It possibly makes it different, and we already know that it's different.

Let's face it, it's a matter of taste and coincidence. The game that you played first is usually the one most loved. Probably because of nostalgia kicks :P

If it's not a reboot nor a sequel to Doom 3 and they said that the game will return to the more action orientation of the originals then the game must be set in the universe of those games, probably after Doom II

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options