Duke4.net Forums: doom 4 = doom 2? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

doom 4 = doom 2?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostRory, on 15 May 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

However I'm amazed that you consider hiring a professional writer to be a red flag, I think the more story a game has, the better, especially an FPS which these days just seem to have a "story" which is nothing more than an excuse so you can shoot things.
I think it's about time Doom had a plot that isn't tacked on, and for once a plot not blog primarily on audio logs. A number of different games are guilty of this nowadays it seems.
However all of that pales in comparison to the gameplay of course, which is paramount, and hell I think Doom 3 had similar gameplay to the originals, and that was either a good or bad thing, depending on your view of things.

butting in. If id software hired a writer for their next game, this signals a very high probability of another linear game. A FPS should not be linear, and should not have a story, it is supposed to be a fun game only. I think if the path is written out for the player, you made a high quality super tessellation movie look a like piece of shit. Posted Image

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The problem for most FPSs (and especially RPGs) that have a "deep" story is they are written by idiots with the purpose of creating a new franchise that never ends. Look how well that turned out for Mass Effect when they actually tried to finish the story. Even Bethesda can't write for shit. The last time someone was able to merge game with novel so perfectly was Planescape: Torment. But it took years for it to sell a million copies. Half Life did well because they balanced gameplay and kept the story fairly basic. nowadays the rule is to throw a bunch of characters at you along with a non-ending to keep the players starving for the next installment. Push blind fanboyism aside and you realize Half Life 2's story is Michael Bay style garbage. Don't forget the cliffhangers to be concluded in sequels that never come.

I'm betting Doom 4 will be really slow, long and boring, but have a neat background story and characters given enough time to be fleshed out in long stupid cutscenes and gameplay breaks. Best case scenario is it will be fast paced action ending on a cliffhanger. Either way you feel disappointed. I have no faith in id software utilizing another "professional writer" to tell a story about space marines fighting demons. It's not necessary. And if that's where there priorities are I have even less faith in their ability to make a fun game.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 15 May 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

A FPS should not be linear, and should not have a story, it is supposed to be a fun game only.

Why do you put limits on what fps games should or should not be? It's not your game.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I upvoted you just for mentioning Planescape. That game is God Tier.

Doom 4's plot should be written by Tom Hall.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 15 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

User is online   Sangman 

butting in. If id software hired a writer for their next game, this signals a very high probability of another linear game.

Wait so you have never played an unlinear game that had a story? Wow :)

User is offline   Kathy 

...not to mention that by non-linear FPS he probably means layout of the levels which aren't story-dependent.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSangman, on 16 May 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

Wait so you have never played an unlinear game that had a story? Wow :)

You are easily impressed Posted Image , yes, I don't have time to play stuff I find boring. Posted Image

@ Burnett - Non-linear meaning having multiple endings. Why spend $60 on something I can play only once, without getting bored the second go around.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 16 May 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

@ Burnett - Non-linear meaning having multiple endings.

Did you expect Doom 4 to have multiple endings?

Why spend $60 on something I can play only once, without getting bored the second go around.

Do you get bored while viewing a movie second time around?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBruno Mattei, on 15 May 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't know dude. I read the Doom novels back in the day and for what they were they had a pretty good story.

Albeit controversial thought: I've always liked the idea that you're not actually fighting the demons from hell but the teleporters opened a riff where aliens invade and use their technology to resemble our worst fears. It honestly makes a lot of sense and answers the question why the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind use earth weaponry.

I can give you a much better story to read that is based on Doom and answers that question perfectly.

http://deadendsoluti...m/doom-fiction/

Seriously, just check out Knee Deep. It's a fantastic retelling of the original Phobos(shareware) events.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBurnett, on 16 May 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Did you expect Doom 4 to have multiple endings?

There was a hope in hell for multiple game endings for Doom 4, but we'll get a cool story; w00t, can't wait for that. Posted Image

View PostBurnett, on 16 May 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Do you get bored while viewing a movie second time around?

It is obviously a personality thing. To answer your question: Yes. I know what the next scene of a given movie will be. So my mind wanders and usually my body walks away from said movie.

This post has been edited by Hank: 17 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

butting in. If id software hired a writer for their next game, this signals a very high probability of another linear game. A FPS should not be linear, and should not have a story, it is supposed to be a fun game only. I think if the path is written out for the player, you made a high quality super tessellation movie look a like piece of shit. Posted Image

I think there's room for both. Half-Life was the most terrific FPS experience of my life. Whether Doom should be THAT kind of FPS is another matter altogether, though.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I think it is fully possible for a game to have a great story, and not be linear. Marathon, anyone?

Having maps with sprawling layouts similar to classic Doom would be cool, with cinematics placed strategically in a way that they don't disrupt the gameplay. Like in between levels, when doing something in particular, or when completing a particular puzzle. Having it so they don't take you out of the player's perspective would make that even better. Even using things such as terminals, hidden audio logs and whatnot would be neat as well.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 May 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

I think there's room for both. Half-Life was the most terrific FPS experience of my life. Whether Doom should be THAT kind of FPS is another matter altogether, though.

There never felt like there were any cutscenes in Half-Life. Sure, there were long sequences with scientists yapping at you before they opened a door, or that bit with the soldiers dragging you, but everything felt relevant to the game. Most of all, you felt involved and capable of interacting with the surroundings. This is what cutscenes in other modern games lack; they take control away from the player.

User is online   Sangman 

Shit, accidentally clicked the "minus" button. On Achenar's post. :)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostSangman, on 18 May 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Shit, accidentally clicked the "minus" button. On Achenar's post. :)

Perhaps it was your subconscious telling you that I'm an irascible old fogey.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options