Duke4.net Forums: doom 4 = doom 2? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

doom 4 = doom 2?

User is offline   Ronin 

You said it Deviance good rant, I get bored even thinking about playing a game in New York, after sinking so many hours into GTA 4 the setting is done for me as is the generic wasteland so many are fond of throwing at us these days. I only played Doom 3 seven months ago and I loved it because it was doing its own thing and doing it well, apart from the small amount of enemys attacking you at any one time it was a damn good Doom game and probably the best one we will see for a long time untill developers take their fists out of their asses and start being creative again. People will not know how good they had it with Doom 3 compared to the generic scope shooters they will have to play if they want new fps games. Its truely sad to see the old giants of fps gaming fall one by one by giving in to the lowest common denominator audience. These concept artists must have all gone to the same college or something, how can there be such a lack of creativity and why cant they see it?
Why not tokyo in Hell, hell why not just hell.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 29 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostRipemanewone, on 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

These concept artists must have all gone to the same college or something, how can there be such a lack of creativity and why cant they see it?

The answer is Publishers.
Big ass publishers make dev studios work on the norm.
Publishers pay the dev studio to make a product not a game!
The publisher is always ALWAYS a profit oriented company that only cares about making profits and doesn't have the first clue about art or creativity, yet they do poke the dev studios to come up with "THE PRODUCT" faster FASTER FASTER NOW DO IT FASTER and also without bugs.
You can't make great looking multiplatform games that also innovate and also work flawless, when you have a bunch of suites that pressure you on a daily basis and constantly give you dead lines and threaten to sue you if you can't do it on time and if what you are doing won't be the greatest thing on the market.
The gaming industry has become TOO fucking industrialized and everything that gets produced with a huge budget, gets produced on a freaking assembly line and nobody has the time to care or put any soul in what they are doing.
The devs don't even care about the games they make because they go there and know that what they are supposed to do is work for money and their job is to make the models they are supposed to make and the sounds or maps they are told to make.
They have very little say in what they do and they are told what to do down to the core of things.
There is absolutely no room or time for creativity and every dev just wants to get done with his work for that day and get home to his independent projects like mods or indie games that he does in his spare time.
Many times, devs attempt to get away with flaws in 3d models or bugs and hope nobody from the testing department finds them.
That's how much devs care about games and I can tell you this from the inside because I know what goes on at Ubisoft and EA first hand!
I could tell you stories about the hatred and wars that go on a daily basis between the world wide dev studio departments and the testing departments of both EA and Ubisoft.
They are like cats and and dogs, if devs could catch testers, they would stab them to death and then stab them some more for always finding their bugs that they never want to fix.
And the same goes for testers that hate the guts of devs that always arrogantly report the tester's findings as being bullshit and that the bugs that testers find are not actually bugs but things that can't be fixed or things that are supposed to be like that in game.
Damn, I could tell you entire stories about the hatred among internal departments at these studios.
They all smile to each other while waving machetes at their backs.
Once you've been in this industry and seen how much hatred and slacking and jealously is among the workers inside these companies, you will never want to play any of their games again.
Once you've been in this industry, you simply know how much shit goes on in other companies by simple things like this.
I for one, can smell every bullshit that goes inside game companies, just by seeing their bullshit excuses given out on gaming news site or by seeing happenings like this leak.
And I know I'm right because everything I predict since more than 10 years, has been 100% correct.
I am always on the dime with my predictions and I have learned to trust my instincts every single time, when it comes to this industry.
I've seen so much shit in this industry that sometimes I feel like crying and laughing hysterically at the same time.
I just don't have the power anymore.
I have just learned to accept that commercial gaming is almost completely dead from a creative perspective and because of that, I just don't find a reason to scream and spazz out anymore.
I want the rants in this topic to be my first and last ones related to doom4 being fucked up and I will see to it that It remains that way.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Sounds like the pop music industry, they have the formula down to a tee, fast food gaming, for people with fast food lives. People have gotten a bit too good at making money.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 29 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

You can't blame the publishers for this one. Doom 4 was in development before they were acquired by Bethesda/Zenimax. More accurately the blame falls on the lead designers and extends to John Carmack, who insists spending more than 80% of development time on their tech then letting a throwaway team slap together a game under ridiculous deadlines. Ever since Quake 1 they have followed the same formula. Let Carmack write his engines while another team screws around making art and test levels. Everything is thrown out over and over again until the engine is done and THEN they talk about what kind of game to make. And after they ship there's a mass exodus of people who burned out in the last 6 months.

Now that Bethesda owns them and calls the shots it's a different story. They don't have a good track record there if you look at all the terrible games they published.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostMad Max RW, on 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

You can't blame the publishers for this one. Doom 4 was in development before they were acquired by Bethesda/Zenimax. More accurately the blame falls on the lead designers and extends to John Carmack, who insists on spending more than 80% of development time on their tech then letting a throwaway team slap together a game under ridiculous deadlines. Ever since Quake 1 they have followed the same formula. Let Carmack write his engines while another team screws around making art and test levels. Everything is thrown out over and over again until the engine is done and THEN they talk about what kind of game to make. And after they ship there's a mass exodus of people who burned out in the last 6 months.

Now that Bethesda owns them and calls the shots it's a different story. They don't have a good track record there if you look at all the terrible games they published.

I refuse to accept that out of an entire fucking team of tens or hundreds, Carmack is the guy that fucks up everything.
I believe people see id fucking up over and over lately and just want to see it dead so it can't disappoint anybody anymore.
Considering that Carmack is the last known name that has been with id from the beginning, many people just want to find a perfectly good reason to hate the last key person that gives a reason for id to still be named id.
My impression is that some people want to hate Carmack without realizing it.
Once they find perfectly good reasons to hate him, they can finally let go of id since nobody they know will remain there, thus id will completely be ran by newly hired strangers.
Think about it this way!
If starting tomorrow, Carmack announces that he quits id, will id's future failures still matter to you as much as they do now?
I think it's very handy to put it all on Carmack's head since he is the last part of TRUE id software that we all know.
He is the last piece of THAT id that did all of that legendary stuff and he is also the person of id that did those amazing engines year after year and amazed people over and over again.

It's definitely not possible for just one man to help an INEPT company made out of noobs, make triple A games in 2012 that can compete with the other triple A games out there.
If you want my honest opinion, I think that Carmack should be praised that he single-handedly managed to make Rage look like an OK game in an age where such a game should be made by 100 talented people not just one.
I believe that if Carmack wasn't part of id during the Rage production, Rage would have sucked 1000 times more than it does now.
I don't agree with people that expect Carmcak to magically fix the games that the entire team of newly hired devs can't tie together.
The age where a 5 man team could make the best looking fps game in the world has long passed.
To make an fps game that looks revolutionary and plays great too in this time and age, you need huge ass teams of talented and motivated people that may or may not care to know what Carmack thinks of things.
Carmack is a genius of game engines but these days, engines capable of making great looking games are everywhere, so Carmack's talents are not really needed anymore.
In this time and age I would much rather have Tom Hall and Romero back in id and in charge of game concepts.
Yeah I said Romero, and I agree that he should not be allowed to direct a project but he should be allowed to influence the design of the game with his ideas and concepts of what the game should be like, especially Doom4!

Don't ever forget that the heart and soul of Doom have been made by none other than Romero.
Only Romero is capable of bringing back the true spirit of Doom because he came up with it in the first place!
Everything else, is just an interpretation of what Romero wanted to express with Doom.
The part that we like most at Doom was not made by id it was made by Romero and as long as he won't be involved with the ambient of Doom games, we will never truly have a proper Doom sequel.
There is no Doom recipe than you can just use to produce the right game, only it's creator can hope of bringing back it's true essence and not even that is guaranteed since Romero has gotten much older and has been out of this business since ages...
Some things, simply can't be reproduced and I believe Doom is one of them!

Like one of my mates said, Doom was never about logic and didn't bother explaining or reasoning why for ex, you would find acid on the ground inside a moon base that has no windows and on which you can go outside and breath without an oxygen mask.
Or why were there health potions stored in blue glass vials spread all over the ground or why were there skull shaped helmets with green glowing eyes or blue floating balls with faces that would give you 200% health points.
Why did such things exist on a moon base where you fight zombified soldiers and devils?
Those things don't make any freaking sense to be there, yet they perfectly blend in and you never bother asking why they are there when you see them.
Doom does not need logic in it, it needs ambient and the classic run and gun gameplay.
But noooooooooooo, let's turn a corridor arcade shooter into an epic tale of trust and love, friendship and brotherhood, defeat and rebirth and last but not least, patriotism and let's put the entire shit inside a ruined New York because the stereotype soup can't be complete without NY...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMad Max RW, on 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Everything is thrown out over and over again until the engine is done and THEN they talk about what kind of game to make. And after they ship there's a mass exodus of people who burned out in the last 6 months.

No wonder Rage was weak, that practice sounds soul destroying. I mean how could you put your heart into something when it could be abandoned just like that, that actually explains DNF a bit when you think about it, poor guys just gave up.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 February 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I refuse to accept that out of that entire fucking team of tens or hundreds, Carmack is the guy that fucks up everything.

And neither do I because it isn't true. id software always had a fairly small team. Tim Willits is their creative director and has been there since Quake 1. He spouted off a whole bunch of bullshit about Rage before release. Even demonstrating the editor he promised would ship with the game. Blame him for going back on his word.

I believe people see id fucking up over and over lately and just want to see it dead so it can't disappoint anybody anymore.
Considering that Carmack is the last known name that has been with id from the beginning, many people just want to find a perfectly good reason to hate the last key person that gives a reason for id to still be named id.

id software is known for Commander Keen, Doom, and Quake. Embracing the whole rockstar developer thing didn't turn out so good for Romero. Carmack works and he likes to work. Nobody should hate him for that. But nobody should try to inflate his ego, either. If id software simply made bad games I wouldn't care. But they own the licenses to some of my favorite games I grew up with. When they keep fucking up I call them out on it.

My impression is that some people want to hate Carmack without realizing it.
Once they find perfectly good reasons to hate him, they can finally let go of id since nobody they know will remain there, thus id will completely be ran by newly hired strangers.
Think about it this way!
If starting tomorrow, Carmack announces that he quits id, will id's future failures still matter to you as much as they do now?
I think it's very handy to put it all in Carmack's head since he is the last part of TRUE id software that we all know.
He is the last piece of THAT id that did all of that legendary stuff and he is also the person of id that did those amazing engines year after year and amazed people over and over again.

That was years ago and Carmack said in numerous interviews idtech5 is his last major engine and he's retiring soon.

I believe that if Carmack wasn't part of id during the Rage production, Rage would have sucked 1000 times more than it does now.

It wouldn't have existed.

I don't agree with people that expect Carmcak to magically fix the games that the entire team of newly hired devs can't tie together.

Magically fix what? He's the tech guy. If the rest of the team can't come together and make something great it's not all his fault.

The age where a 5 man team could make the best looking fps game in the world has long passed.

Not necessarily. Every year it's easier and more affordable for small teams to make great looking games rivaling stuff made by the mega-studios. Soon they will be making the best stuff because they aren't held back by console limitations and appeasing publishers.

To make an fps game that looks revolutionary and plays great too in this time and age, you need huge ass teams of talented and motivated people that may or may not care to know what Carmack thinks of things.

Once again, no you don't. Just this past year some really amazing indie games came out and some were developed by tiny studios. For example. this was made by one guy:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Only 30 people made Hard Reset:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In this time and age I would much rather have Tom Hall and Romero back in id and in charge of game concepts.

I don't know about Romero, but Tom Hall deserves Commander Keen back in his hands.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Pay attention to what I said.
I said that it's very hard to impossible for a 5 man team to make triple A fps games.
I know hard reset I played it and I don't find it coming even close to a real quality triple A game.
It's very uninspired and even though it's Pc only, it's graphics lack in many departments and you can see the amateurism in it's production, at least I can and I am bothered by it most of the time but I do know how to respect it from a different perspective than I do when I look at a multimillion $ budget game made by a pretentious studio with a huge ass history behind it.
As for indie games in general, I agree that some of the best games are simple looking indie games like story oriented platformers.
Check Trine and Trine 2 or Limbo to name just 2.
And I can also give you an example of an fps game that was 100% indie during development and then got published after it was done.
A game which is very nice in it's ambient and as simple as it may be, it works and also offers decent graphics and gameplay.
That game is The Ball
It's amazing how engaging it is for game made by such a small team.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 February 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Pay attention to what I said.
I said that it's very hard to impossible for a 5 man team to make triple A fps games.
I know hard reset I played it and I don't find it coming even close to a real quality triple A game.
It's very uninspired and even though it's Pc only, it's graphics lack in many departments and you can see the amateurism in it's production, at least I can and I am bothered by it most of the time.
As for indie games in general, I agree that some of the best games are simple looking indie games like story oriented platformers.
Check Trine and Trine 2 or Limbo to name just 2.

What?
lol downvote

Wow you seriously think Hard Reset was uninspired but The Ball was ambient and had decent graphics? Holy shit

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 29 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostThePinkus, on 29 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

What?
lol downvote

I didn't downvote you and I also don't get what you don't understand in that part of my post?

Give it time and there will be a major shift in the industry. I just gave a couple examples of what is only the beginning. Hell, id software started by making a Mario brothers clone on the PC. They were nobodies and grew because they were efficient and tapped a market the big studios like Atari and Nintendo ignored. Imagine where today's unknowns will be in a few years.

Indie devs aren't restricted to aging consoles and asshole publishers. It's not cost effective to employ hundreds of people to develop a multi-million dollar game over the course of half a decade. The big studios don't know anything else and the small unknowns will fill the huge gap left behind. I'll bet money the next console generation will be when their house of cards finally collapses.

View PostMad Max RW, on 29 February 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Give it time and there will be a major shift in the industry. I just gave a couple examples of what is only the beginning. Hell, id software started by making a Mario brothers clone on the PC. They were nobodies and grew because they were efficient and tapped a market the big studios like Atari and Nintendo ignored. Imagine where today's unknowns will be in a few years.

Indie devs aren't restricted to aging consoles and asshole publishers. It's not cost effective to employ hundreds of people to develop a multi-million dollar game over the course of half a decade. The big studios don't know anything else and the small unknowns will fill the huge gap left behind. I'll bet money the next console generation will be when their house of cards finally collapses.

As long as new generations grow up with new console generations, just like we grew up with ataris and nes's the bar will just go lower and lower.
The problem with lack of quality is that new generations that don't know better, are very eager to swallow what they are given and actually think of it as being EPIC.
Look at all the kids that started their gaming lives with call of duty mw2 and cod black ops games.
They are the best sold games ever and when you play them, they are as bland as many other games that I used to play in 2000's
I can see where cod sucks because I've known better but those that don't know better, will grow up and what doom and duke 3d is for us today, is what cod will be for them when they are our age.
I am really starting to accept that gaming has had a gold age just like movies, music and porn industry.
All of them had a gold age.
When my parents were younger, the music and movies that were played when they were our age, were to their liking while the music and movies I see today, are not to my liking.
So we have a clear example that shows age is not a problematic factor here.
This definitely shows that music, movies and games produced in the 80's and 90's were actually better and thus they were still in their gold age.
Today, they appear to have exited that gold age and are heading to a future where they are becoming dull uninspired boring things.
There are so many things to do online and in real life in this time and age, that a game industry crash won't even be possible anymore.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRipemanewone, on 29 February 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Sounds like the pop music industry,

It is. What's more disturbing is less middleground between 'indie' and 'pop' in videogames industry than in movie and music industries.

User is offline   X-Vector 

oh I see. Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome

https://twitter.com/#!/id_Hooper

View PostX-Vector, on 01 March 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

That kinda lines up with my theory they dumped everything and started over. If he's not lying, of course. But god damn. After looking through all the leaked assets there is nothing that resembled Doom. Especially the characters. They look cool, but would fit better in Fallout or something. Such a waste of talent.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 01 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

That kinda lines up with my theory they dumped everything and started over. If he's not lying, of course. But god damn. After looking through all the leaked assets there is nothing that resembled Doom. Especially the characters. They look cool, but would fit better in Fallout or something. Such a waste of talent.

Not to mention despite people thinking it looked great, it looked so barren and basic. Nothing like Rage which was gorgeous in every aspect of the game.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

except texture resolution :)

I really hope Doom 4 actually turns out good. I really do. I want fun games again.

I also would like to see them bring back John Romero for Quake V since he was a big influence on the design of Quake 1, and John Carmack says he wants to make a Quake that's like Quake 1 again with the Lovecraft influence instead of the Quake 2 storyline, which he feels is exhausted and I never was really that fond of anyway.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 19 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostBloodshot, on 19 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

I also would like to see them bring back John Romero for Quake V since he was a big influence on the design of Quake 1, and John Carmack says he wants to make a Quake that's like Quake 1 again with the Lovecraft influence instead of the Quake 2 storyline, which he feels is exhausted and I never was really that fond of anyway.

Lol, the version of Quake we got was quickly put together at the last minute. All the modern weapons and hi-tech levels were last-minute additions. Romero's idea for Quake was very different from the finished product (see Daikatana). The original Quake was supposed to be coherent. The Quake we got was a collection of random medieval and hi-tech levels.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 19 March 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Romero's idea for Quake was very different from the finished product (see Daikatana). The original Quake was supposed to be coherent. The Quake we got was a collection of random medieval and hi-tech levels.

Considering how poorly Daikatana did, and especially considering how Quake is still praised by gamers to this day, maybe "a collection of random medieval and hi-tech levels" is all that's needed to make a good game?

This post has been edited by Achenar: 19 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

That I didn't dispute. Quake is a billion times better than Daikatana. But it's good by accident while Daikatana sucks by design.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 19 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I always heard that Daikatana got better after you got into it a ways, but they fucked up by cramming that robot frog crap down your throat at the beginning. I tried to play through it as recently as last year and couldn't stomach very much of it.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I actually didn't mind the robot frog crap. It's the sidekicks, the crappy enemy AI and confusing level layout that killed the game. On top of that, each "era" had its own selection of weapons but they succeed in making none of them memorable (aside from Daikatana, the sword, if you cared to play with it in the first place as it's quite useless at low levels).

Talk about timing with my last few posts in this thread. Wasteland 2 just got funding through kickstarter and the pledge count is still rising: http://www.kickstart...ile/wasteland-2

I gladly made a donation the day it launched. Since I owe the existence of half my favorite games to Wasteland and Brian Fargo I'd be a hypocrite not to.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 19 March 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Lol, the version of Quake we got was quickly put together at the last minute. All the modern weapons and hi-tech levels were last-minute additions. Romero's idea for Quake was very different from the finished product (see Daikatana). The original Quake was supposed to be coherent. The Quake we got was a collection of random medieval and hi-tech levels.

So? I know that, and I'm glad it didn't have more hi-tech stuff. That's exactly why I got tired of Quake 2 so quickly.

I liked the monster designs, and the levels were well done. Being a shadow of it's former self doesn't matter if the game is good. Daikatana was simply a product of poor execution. Q1 wasn't exactly "last minute", they may have been constrained for time (since the designers were basically waiting for carmack to finish his engine)and it was barely what it was going to be but they still put effort into balancing the gameplay and making sure it worked, which didn't seem to happen for Daikatana.

And fyi, the original Quake idea was a medieval RPG where you use thor's hammer.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 19 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still have the PC Gamer magazine with Quake featured on the cover. All it was was a picture of a hammer with lighting around it. I also seem to remember a screenshot inside with the caption "Game without a name" that eventually became Hexen.

Everything could go wrong but I really hope not. I liked Doom 3 but as a continuation of Doom it left a lot to be desired and not only should've kept the gameplay of Doom but did something to enhance the story. But I'm looking forward to this. All they need to do is:

Keep the original Doom Gameplay, keep it fast and frantic, keep it gory and hellish, give us Zombies with guns and not those ridiculous looking commandos with tentacles, no regenerating health, etc.

How about we finally get to use that Machine Gun used on the cover of the original Doom? Yeah, there was a machine gun in Doom 3 but it didn't look anything like it. It should be more of a Sub Machine Gun weapon with at least 2 barrels and insane rate of fire.

No NPC's that follow you around or unlock doors, they should only serve as fodder. If they try to mimic Halo it will fail. It'd be nice if you started the very first level, you're with a heavily fortified army and you charge in and you get your ass handed and you watch as every soldier is graphically torn apart and you are left by yourself. No one is going to help you. No one is going to appear and hand you a weapon. No audio-diaries giving us backstory. Just you and your guns.

Hell on earth. Ever since Doom 2 I've wanted to see this. I don't want to see a city overwhelmed, I want to see suburbia torn to shit by Hell's army. I want to see the Spidermastermind stomp on someone's head and eat a family alive (like in the Doom novels) I want total chaos set in a familiar setting.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

When you're bumping a thread with new information, or if it's a help thread and you're having trouble on a related issue, then it's ok. However if you're bumping an old thread just to give an opinion like Bruno did, it is generally frowned upon. Still the thread is only 2 months old, it'll probably just sink back down unless some new official information comes out. There has been a lot worse and less relevant bumping than this, this case isn't so bad.

User is offline   Martin 

Nice post, Rory! Great ideas. I think maybe they could have a horror element, but do it in a subtle way. For instance, the way in which Journey tells it's story is quite subtle and open to interpretation. Doom 4 could have a horror element without being a BioShock clone. Maybe some kind of hardcore mode where dying results in the deletion of your game save, and one or two enemy types which can easily kill you if you're not careful. I don't know, I'm no game designer. What I do know is that 'horror' in a game doesn't have to mean jump scares, macabre audio logs and so forth. They could tell a story simply with the game's environment. If you're so inclined, you could take the time to absorb all of those details. If not - just run and gun. It's not invasive to the latter crowd.

Even something as simple as sound-design can make great strides toward either direction. Although totally a run and gun game, the PlayStation port of the original Doom greatly gave me the creeps back in the day. There was literally nothing different about the game other than mild simplification and less monsters (so it was less scary, technically). Still, Doom on PC was total fun, yet the PlayStation port had me creeping around corners and there was a general feeling of unease. Obviously, that was a mid-90s way of achieving horror simply with audio. They'd do it differently now.

It's all elementary, since Doom 4 is probably set in stone by now. Whatever it's going to be a as a game - those decisions have already been made. I just hope it's not a RAGE re-skin.

Since Doom 4 hasn't been released yet (or revealed, for that matter) I welcome bringing this thread back from the dead.

I truly doubt they will go back to the fast gameplay of the originals. There's too much evidence to the contrary. Hiring a professional author to write the plot is a big red flag. Doom was never about plot. id software's last two games (Rage and Doom 3) should be enough of an indicator how they lost their touch years ago. And no matter what they say consoles will always be the lowest common denominator.

I don't know dude. I read the Doom novels back in the day and for what they were they had a pretty good story.

Albeit controversial thought: I've always liked the idea that you're not actually fighting the demons from hell but the teleporters opened a riff where aliens invade and use their technology to resemble our worst fears. It honestly makes a lot of sense and answers the question why the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind use earth weaponry.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options