Duke4.net Forums: doom 4 = doom 2? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

doom 4 = doom 2?

I think they were just saying some bullshit, they oftent do that.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

I hope Doom 4 has a map editor and mod tools.

View PostDerickVonD, on 07 April 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

I hope Doom 4 has a map editor and mod tools.

knowing id there will be

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Possible leaked Doom (4) images.
I think its legit, because they totally look like stuff from the Rage engine.
And also, Hell on Earth
http://kotaku.com/58...shots/gallery/1

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostThePinkus, on 29 February 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

Possible leaked Doom (4) images.
I think its legit, because they totally look like stuff from the Rage engine.
And also, Hell on Earth
http://kotaku.com/58...shots/gallery/1

Kind of looks like a mixture of tech demo shots and some possible hints at how DOOM 4 could look with id Tech 5. There's been a few odd leaks, a rumoured soundtrack included, but I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Maybe Rage DLC about the events during the impact?

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Looks way too modern for Doom. Yeah, we all know (or should know) Doom 2 takes place on Earth. But it also has futuristic stuff like spaceports and impossible architecture along with the most important part: Hell. I don't see any pentagrams or infested slimey corpse areas or anything that screams Doom to me in those screenshots. I'd sooner believe it was pictures of modern Detroit or Pittsburgh. Cookie-cutter post apocalyptic city.

As for Rage DLC, from what I was told by somebody who works at id they aren't even in the design stage and never were. Despite popular speculation, they don't have hard drives filled with unused content such as maps, missions, high resolution textures, etc..

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

My thoughts too, it doesn't really look like doom. But doom has become old, they might want to do something refreshing. I doubt it's doom, but i still really hope it is :lol:

User is offline   ThePinkus 

You guys gotta remember, new Doom is not a direct sequel to any other game in the series, so they could've been going a different direction with it entirely.
Modern day cities getting destroyed by hell. There'll probably be iron sights and sprinting too.

So if the city is modern, then there aren't going to be pentagrams and blood everywhere?

View PostThePinkus, on 29 February 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

You guys gotta remember, new Doom is not a direct sequel to any other game in the series, so they could've been going a different direction with it entirely.
Modern day cities getting destroyed by hell. There'll probably be iron sights and sprinting too.

Then why call it Doom? Name recognition brings expectations. If they can't get the most basic thing right such as the setting, then id software itself will be doomed. This is like watching the implosion of Interplay or Ion Storm all over again.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Seems that some weirdo tries to start a downvoting war by being negative on people who simply state their opinion. Don't forget: TX is watching you.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Doom has had two unrelated iterations so far. What's another? It's been confirmed that it is not going to be a continuation of Doom 3 and it will be more in the style of Doom 2 but will not be a direct sequel to classic Doom either.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLeoD, on 29 February 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Seems that some weirdo tries to start a downvoting war by being negative on people who simply state their opinion.

Posted Image

Yeah, why would anyone downvote a post with opinion he doesn't agree with? :lol:

Don't forget: TX is watching you.

Like he would give a shit about 1 or 2 downvotes.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 February 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Doom has had two unrelated iterations so far. What's another? It's been confirmed that it is not going to be a continuation of Doom 3 and it will be more in the style of Doom 2 but will not be a direct sequel to classic Doom either.

As long as its not Doom3's "how it all began" it shouldn't matter much. Of course there should be elements related to Doom, but not much continuity. Were Wolfenstein3d/Return/Wolfenstein in any way connected storywise?

This post has been edited by Helel: 29 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Were Wolfenstein3d/Return/Wolfenstein in any way connected storywise?

They still kept the Nazis and WW2 setting as well as the main character's name. So, yeah, they are connected. At least in regards to the premise.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Well, that's what I meant that as long as Doom keeps hell/sci-fi/monsters then it doesn't need some close story connection between games.

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Well, that's what I meant that as long as Doom keeps hell/sci-fi/monsters then it doesn't need some close story connection between games.

I agree with you there. However I can't be the only person tired of the cliched nuked modern city almost every game in the last decade has since beaten to death. For me a "new" take on Doom 2: Hell on Earth would look similar to Hard Reset's mix of future tech with decrepit although familiar aging sections, half destroyed and infested by hellspawn. Demons everywhere, signs of torture, terrain covered with skulls and bodies fused together. Go balls out with the truly fucked up. That would get attention.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Well, that's interesting.

*goes back to playing DooM 2*

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah, why would anyone downvote a post with opinion he doesn't agree with? :lol:

Yes, that's what idiots do, they downvote posts they disagree with.

A huge gallery of assets from ex id software dev Thao Le is now available for download here: http://www.mediafire...wjsy8ixf6lvwm2b

It contains pretty much his entire portfolio of work such as concept art and four music tracks. Grab it before Bethesda lawyers go on the warpath.

Edit... here's the music files http://www.mediafire...cloebtyeq4u34ud

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 29 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

The only posts I downvote are ones I think are obnoxious, chidish, or spiteful. Differing opinions shouldn't be downvoted.

Anyway I hope these pics are old or haven't been...'hellified' up yet. It looks just like Rage; I wouldn't mind a more darker Doom 4 with say only a handful of humans up against a planet filled with things that want to kill them, where the only real hope is that the next super-market doesn't have quite as many corpses and a couple of tins of cat food that hasn't expired yet, but I do hope they make the art style stand out a bit more.

User is offline   LkMax 

The buildings looks identical to Rage. It looks more like photoshopped srceenshots from Rage or something else not-related to Doom.

I came here to post this media and found that Mad Max RW already did that.
The only thing that remains for me to do here in this topic is to express just how fucking disappointed I am at how much different and low quality this is than what I imagined it to be all of this time...
It's literally nothing like I expected it to be and I tried to imagine doom4 in at least 100 ways with different styles and designs but I have to admit I never even for a second expected that id lost it so badly that they would actually get to a point where they would produce a fear3 + crysis 2+ hl2 + rage mixture and call it doom4...
This seals it.
Some smart people called it the end of id immediately after they saw what they did with Rage on pc and with Rage in general.
I refused to believe that failing with Rage meant that id has forever failed and will even fuck up with doom4 because of that.
I actually expected them to reorganize and coagulate themselves again so they can redeem their name and id tech5's name with a great looking doom4 game.
After seeing these leaks and noticing that not just the direction they are going in is totally idiotic but also that the graphics are as low res and low poly as they are in Rage and the maps are small as shit even though they take place in an open city, I finally have to accept that id has no fucking clue of what they're doing anymore.

I can't afford to be optimistic anymore and actually hope that none of these screenshots reflect the doom4 that we are going to get, because I just know that it's either this or nothing.
I find it very hard to believe that after doing all of this, they've rebooted everything we see here and completely changed their concepts...
This is indeed the level at which id has dropped to and this is indeed their potential these days.
Having Carmack among them is the only reason why I even cared about id until now.
It's so sad that just because the company is called id, many people refuse to realize that people are more important than company names and that key id devs that made all the great games together are no longer involved with id.

I remember many people saying that doom3 was a bad representation of doom1 and doom2 hehe.
If those people only knew what id's future games were going to look like, they would have probably took the doom3 cd jewel case and slept with it in bed at night and pray that games like rage and this so called doom4 would never actually come to materialize...
For me, doom3 is an epic EPIC game compared to this and I don't care if anybody disagrees with me because I believe that disagreeing with me on this matter, makes you either a random doom player, a troll or a dumb ass.
No real doom fan would dare to disagree with me when I say that this DOES NOT have ANYTHING TO DO with the Doom series and that it should never EVER bare the Doom name just for the sake of better sales.
Making a random game with hell invasion on earth and calling it Doom4 just because you are the company that owns this ip name, doesn't actually make it doom4.
You don't take the expectations of doom fans and take a shit on them and expect to get your games bought anymore, unless your target is a bunch of fresh kid gamers that never heard of doom because they were being ejaculated in their mother's pussy years after we older Doom fans were playing it...
How does Doom come from a futuristic moon base and a futuristic earth to a game that appears to feature New York on 9/11?
Just because people that live in New York get scared when seeing images like this Posted Image
because they remember 9/11 doesn't mean that all fucking games from now on should take place in an apocalyptic new york.
First they ruined Crysis 2 by bringing it to new york and making all the levels tight and linear as shit, then they brought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 to NY and now Doom4.
What's so fucking special about making Hollywood apocalypse movies and now apocalypse games in New York?
Do they seriously fear that people will take to the street in New York and protest due to the monotonous and miserable lives they are having in New York or what?
Are these movies and games supposed to show this miserable city blasted to shit and back all the time, just to give people that want to destroy it in real life satisfaction or what?
I refuse to watch another movie and play another game that's based in New York and has a form of disaster or apocalypse in it.
Whether it's aliens, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes, meteors, giant robots, devils, ww3 or giant monsters I don't want to fucking see it anymore, I am sick and tired of this dead fucking horse that keeps on getting beat down over and over AND OVER again.

If this is Doom4, everybody at id software can shove it up their asses along with the entire sculpted New York city miniature model, because I am not even going to PIRATE IT, let alone buy it or play it Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Every time I read your posts, Mr.Deviance, I try as hard as I can to find a reason to disagree with you, and I simply cannot. Your above post is no exception. Now I know why your reputation is so damn high.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 29 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 29 February 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

A huge gallery of assets from ex id software dev Thao Le is now available for download here: http://www.mediafire...sy8ixf6lvwm2bIt contains pretty much his entire portfolio of work such as concept art and four music tracks. Grab it before Bethesda lawyers go on the warpath.Edit... here's the music files http://www.mediafire...cloebtyeq4u34ud

Does that mean the guy is finished from a professional point of view?

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 29 February 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Every time I read your posts, Mr.Deviance, I try as hard as I can to find a reason to disagree with you, and I simply cannot. Your above post is no exception. Now I know why your reputation is so damn high.

I am glad that you also see it my way, goes to show there are others that share my opinion.
I was not completely finished with the post when you posted.
Since then I updated the screenshot and added a more fitting period at the end of my post.

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Not if the game is actually canceled as it has been rumored and he was more or less allowed to do it.
Judging from what we have all seen when DNF was briefly canceled, some devs were very quick to make their work on DNF public and pretty much leaked all DNF content 2 years before DNF got released
The Bethesda officials keep on denying that Doom4 is canceled even though multiple people have claimed they have inside info that confirms it.
But here's what I ask you!
Why would a Doom4 developer, suddenly get so careless and leak so much shit from the project, unless the project HAS been canceled and he understood that it's ok to share his work?
It's very probable that what we are seeing here, is the exact same scenario that took place in 2009 or 2010 when many DNF devs started leaking DNF screenshots and trailers of maps and models, so they could get hired at another company faster!
As far as I am concerned, we could only hope that Doom4 did actually get canceled due to looking like this and that somewhere in the close or distant future, they will attempt to make a new Doom4 with a new dev team that have a different idea of what Doom4 should be!
For ex me and a few other people from the classic doom forums, because I am willing to bet anything that even I can pull a better job on making some concepts for a doom sequel that are bound to please doom fans much more than what the current id team has done with this shit that I see leaked here...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

If he's violating a NDA, but I doubt it. Bethesda doesn't like when content they own is given to the public. I expect either the game is "indefinitely postponed" or they dumped all the previous work and started over.

Current and former workers at a studio get frustrated when they think all their hard work will never been seen. Many more people are leaving id software or already left in the last few months since Rage launched. Don't be surprised if today's leak is only the tip of the iceberg.

User is offline   Kathy 

Yep, there is a rumor going that Doom4 was cancelled. It has surfaced with screenshots once again.

View PostHelel, on 29 February 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yep, there is a rumor going that Doom4 was cancelled. It has surfaced with screenshots once again.

Think of it logically.
Does it really have to be a rumor?
This leak was done with absolutely no intention of secrecy.
The person that leaked all of this did not attempt to hide his identity, he just posted all of it on his portfolio that contains every info you need on him.
Only somebody that wants to get sued really bad would leak such high profile stuff while using his name and site.
It's absolutely obvious that he leaked this because the ignorantly believed that it was ok to share his work on doom4 now that he was told internally that the project is canceled.
He made a mistake he didn't post those screenshots with the intention of leaking doom4, because he couldn't have been so fucking dumb not to know that leaking doom4 with your big ass signature on it, would bring anything else than your termination in the industry.
This is a very similar scenario to that of DNF and I am willing to bet money that I'm right.
We don't need anybody to tell us about rumors, when this leak has happened this way.
If the leak would have taken place on a private site from an unknown person, then we could have debated multiple scenarios but under the current conditions, it's extremely obvious that a dumbass dev thought he was allowed to post his work on his portfolio and didn't wait to ask his bosses if canceling doom4 also allows him to post that shit publicly.
Will Bethesda admit that Doom4 was canceled?
If they really want to see a Doom4 come out the door, then they won't admit it and they will assemble a new dev team to make a new Doom4.
It they decide that Doom4 is not worth the hassle anymore, they will just call it dead and won't make a new one.

User is offline   Kathy 

Bethesda already responded with "not cancelled".

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options