Duke4.net Forums: Of Pigs and Men [RL] - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Of Pigs and Men [RL]  ""The best laid schemes of pigs and men / Go oft to Hell""

User is offline   Sebastian 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 27 2011, 05:58 AM, said:

There are three reactors inside the facility, none of them hidden so there should be no trouble finding them.

Yeah, plus it should always be clear that your objective is to find the yellow keycard since you're literally staring at that locked keypad panel as soon as you start the level.

View PostGambini, on Feb 27 2011, 06:49 AM, said:

By the way, i saw part of the playthrough that Deepertough made, and noticed that the map plays a lot better using the mod. i´ll try it again eventually.

That's what I anticipated too. The balance would be way way off if you play without Attrition. Basically you need to make use of all the items in the map and the fact that you can level up your weapons. Not to mention the way healthpacks work. There's nothing preventing you from speeding straight into the facility and fetching it but you'd have to either be crazy or skilled enough to avoid getting buttraped by all the monsters.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSebastian, on Feb 27 2011, 06:04 AM, said:

That's what I anticipated too. The balance would be way way off if you play without Attrition. Basically you need to make use of all the items in the map and the fact that you can level up your weapons. Not to mention the way healthpacks work. There's nothing preventing you from speeding straight into the facility and fetching it but you'd have to either be crazy or skilled enough to avoid getting buttraped by all the monsters.

Also in Attrition the pal 21 liztroops drop their laser pistols for you to use, which helps a lot with ammo.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Nice. I'll look at the map. Or should I wait to buy a new card? nah... i'm pretty anxious to play this!!!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hey nice map!

The gameplay and detailing were good, I didn't end up finding my way back to the finish but I'd already gotten the keycard and explored most of the area and killed the enemies so I just quit since I figured I was pretty much at the end anyway (I hope you don't mind).

You've used polymer lights in this map in ways I haven't even considered before, and it looks stunning. One of the things the lighting in this and DNE have in common is that when there are areas large or small which don't have any lights, it doesn't feel like "oi the mapper forgot to put lights in here, lets shoot him in the leg to teach him a lesson," but rather it feels like there's naturally not meant to be any lights there, which is a good thing and something I've been having trouble with in my previous mapping attempts.

It's times like this that I wish we had more control over lights, i.e to make them pulsate, change colour, be switched on and off, move around etc without having to rely on hardcoded sprites, but that'll probably be a long way off and probably require a new map format which is unfortunate.

Anyway congrats, it's a solid map, and if I get around to starting a map from scratch, I might implement one or two of your lighting setups ;)

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Finally i had the time to play this, it's a great map. You definitely used polymer lights in a clever way, not only as decor. The best part is the entrance of the base imo. That bluish pal gives the map a immersive atmosphere. The only shortcoming was the framerate on some outdoor situations, in fact i had a crash near the end of the map when hav to return using the jetpack to the beginning because the amount of shot firelasers by liztroops.

;)

• Duke Plus Developer

That reminds me, I've been working on an update for Attrition that includes this map. Maybe I'll release it later today.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Just wanted to chime in saying that I've played and enjoyed the map. I don't have much to add that wasn't already said, but the strongest points IMO were the exploration-style gameplay and the use of Polymer lights for what they're currently best for: illuminating areas locally for embellishment.

I appreciate the hollar, guys. I'm really glad people are enjoying it! Sorry to hear about the crashes though, hopefully the autosave will save ya'll a bunch of backtracking.

• Duke Plus Developer

I just played this again, using Polymer this time, and the lighting is indeed superb. The highlight for me was when I went to the end of a locker room inside the complex, and then a pigcop entered behind me and I could see his shadow stretching across the floor. I did have a few serious slowdowns upon exiting the complex, due to the high number of lasers flying around, but even then it remained playable.

This is making me think that I still need to add one more thing to Attrition, which is an episode that is not random maps, and not Invasion style gameplay either. It would be an episode that only had the maps best suited to the mod, and in a specific order (a regular episode, in other words). I like the random episodes, and it works fairly well most of the time, but the problem is that a gem like Pigs & Men might never come up, even if you have played lots of random maps.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Finally got to play this map. Took me 43 minutes and I got all kills and secrets on Come Get Some. I really enjoyed the map, just difficult enough to tickle my fancy.

Wow! That's quite a playthrough. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Well, it was well coupled with the fact I suck and I'm still not used to playing on the laptop. I probably could have cut 10 or 15 minutes off from that alone. I got busy exploring quite a bit too and missed the big door (derp!) about three times.

• Duke Plus Developer

If you used vanilla Duke it doesn't count, btw. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nope, I played it exactly as it was meant to be played.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options