Duke4.net Forums: Mapping - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 20 July 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

I think that is hopeless since the dimensions are so large, and imo he is better off using a different texture that looks good tiled.

Yeah i wrote that before your post, i think it's a better idea use other texture.

View PostDeeperThought, on 20 July 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

I have attached it.

Thanks man!!!

• Music Producer

Damn i also need NAMES.H :( :(

EDIT: Sorry for double post :D

This post has been edited by Norvak: 20 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hmm I wasn't originally thinking of making the village flooded. The village is actually on solid ground, and composed of 3 TROR layers, but one of them broke and became a solid floor so I added the water texture to see what it would look like. What I'm saying is that it's a normal village, but it would be soo easy to convert it into a flooded village complete with transparent water.

I think I'll leave the village solid, because having a multistory village where you can go on the roofs is also a mapping first. I might consider making a flooding village if some code was added so that upon an activation, sectors could be given a lotag of 2, and a TROR link made masked and blocking with teleporting SEs. In effect, I could make the player go into a cave and trigger something, and after coming out, the village would be flooded, and because there are multiple layers, the player could go back in the cave and make it flood some more. However this sounds complicated and because TROR con stuff is in its infancy I don't expect it to be done.

Maybe in a future map I'll do something similar. I'm also thinking of doing a multistory TROR cathedral with lots of archways.

About the texturing, I'm still working on map geometry and gameplay, I'm leaving the some of the larger scale texturing like mountain sides until last.

Damn I replaced my names.h as well... I hope this means you'll be doing some solid work on your map Norvak :(

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This evening I have been working on converting a medieval themed Duke 3D map to WGR2. I hope to have something to show in the next few days.

Here is the names.h

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  NAMES.zip (6.89K)
    Number of downloads: 825

• Music Producer

@ DT : Thanks for the file. BTW what about converting Numan's Beer Zity from WGR to WGR2?

View PostMicky C, on 20 July 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

I hope this means you'll be doing some solid work on your map Norvak :(

Maps to be correct :(

This post has been edited by Norvak: 20 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on 20 July 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

@ DT : Thanks for the file. BTW what about converting Numan's Beer Zity from WGR to WGR2?

I didn't know that was a WGR map until you mentioned it right now. I ran the conversion script on it, but there are still many wrong textures. Apparently, Numan used a lot of standard Duke textures in that map, in addition to the WGR ones. Considering that the gameplay would need to be reworked as well, I doubt it is worth the effort.

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm in the process of refurbishing a map for use with WGR2. The map was released a few years ago for regular Duke 3D, but with some custom art. Can anyone guess what map it is, based on these screenshots?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Was it one of the CBP maps? Something looks familiar in the first two shots anyhow.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on 22 July 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Was it one of the CBP maps?

Nope. I'll give you a hint: It was already a medieval themed map before I messed with it.

• Music Producer

Posted Image

A deathmatch map for a possible WoA mode in WGR2, some of you may be interested on making deathmatch maps for a complete WoA episode, with say 6 levels...

View PostDeeperThought, on 22 July 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

I'm in the process of refurbishing a map for use with WGR2. The map was released a few years ago for regular Duke 3D, but with some custom art. Can anyone guess what map it is, based on these screenshots?

Those shots looks good, but can't say what map it is.

EDIT: Maybe this? http://msdn.duke4.ne...htenagain.shtml
I have'nt played yet anyway

This post has been edited by Norvak: 22 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

• Honored Donor

What do you mean WoA mode? Is it something like you're in a map and have to fight against waves of enemies with respawning weapons and health?

User is offline   Mark 

Hey DT. I was wondering if you checked out my map yet. After playing some WGR2 I came to realise that mine lacks a few of the needed requirements. Its pretty flat. The only elevation changes are crawling on top of buildings. It was designed originally for non-linear playing. And the inside areas are too cramped for fighting a large group of monsters. And not much in the way of special effects or cool mapping features( other than extensive use of sprite ceilings for fake ROR ) There are other shortcomings but I think I'll stop with those. :( I'd make a lousy salesman.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 22 July 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

What do you mean WoA mode? Is it something like you're in a map and have to fight against waves of enemies with respawning weapons and health?

Yes, he is referring to the War of Attrition gametype from the mod of the same name. Earlier I had indicated that I might be adding something like that to WGR2.

@Norvak: Yes, it is enlighten2.map by Quakis, you guessed right.

@Marked: I have not looked at it yet but I will get around to it eventually. I received it with the assumption that it would need a lot of work, so the shortcomings aren't anything to fret over.

User is offline   Mark 

Okie Dokie.

• Duke Plus Developer

This refurbished map I have been working on is really coming along great. I think Quakis was disappointed when he released it as a regular Duke map and it got virtually no response, so hopefully he will be happy when he sees what I have done with it. It's looks and plays well in WGR2 now. The only problem is it has kind of a shit ending which is rather anti-climactic. There's two different directions that it could be taken. One, it could be given a climactic bossy sort of ending. Two, it could be given a more exploration based ending, where the player walks off into the mountains or something.

I have added ladders and a few other features and some new tiles and sounds. I will put together an update for mappers pretty soon.

Is it possible that we could have some new maps finished by November? I would like to release another episode with at least 3 maps. If the Quakis map is one, then we would just need 2 more.

• Honored Donor

November? My map will be ready for beta testing within two weeks!

To help put in context so that it could potentially fit into an episode better, I'll explain the "story"; Duke has become King of a Realm, and one day he wakes up and finds that his castle is under siege by a demonic menace. He then sets out to, well, break the siege. It ends up with Duke fighting guys on an arena at the top of a mountain.

I'm still not 100% sure how the player is going to finish the level. I was thinking have the same boss from the end of the first episode, and Duke will have to chase it around the map. I'm not sure how to control the boss or set him up though. DT, is there a way to set where the giant wizard boss will teleport to in the map? I tried messing around with the sprite from WGX3 but I couldn't even get it to spawn in my map...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 July 2011 - 12:53 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 22 July 2011 - 04:06 PM, said:

Hey DT. I was wondering if you checked out my map yet. After playing some WGR2 I came to realise that mine lacks a few of the needed requirements. Its pretty flat. The only elevation changes are crawling on top of buildings. It was designed originally for non-linear playing. And the inside areas are too cramped for fighting a large group of monsters. And not much in the way of special effects or cool mapping features( other than extensive use of sprite ceilings for fake ROR ) There are other shortcomings but I think I'll stop with those. :( I'd make a lousy salesman.

I have just taken a look at the map, and I'm actually excited about it. It has a lot of potential. Yes, the map is very flat, but let's just say they built the city on a flat area of land and they like it that way. What impresses me about it is it looks like a real full scale city. Would it work well with conventional gameplay (i.e. keycard hunts and monsters all over the place)? Probably not. And this is definitely not a map where we want the player to be wandering around wondering where to go next.

My idea is to populate the city with human NPCs, and then give the player tasks he has to perform. For example, maybe he has to defend certain buildings from monster attack (you defend one building for a minute, then you have to run across town and defend another one). There could be arrows on the map telling you where to go next, if necessary. It would be a lot of code and art to add for just one map, but it would lead to some very different gameplay that other mappers could use later.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 24 July 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

November? My map will be ready for beta testing within two weeks!

Ok. Let's try to coordinate our efforts (and I mean everyone who is thinking of releasing a WGR2 map) so that we can put together a cohesive episode.

I'm not sure how to control the boss or set him up though. DT, is there a way to set where the giant wizard boss will teleport to in the map? I tried messing around with the sprite from WGX3 but I couldn't even get it to spawn in my map...

The boss is actually teleporting to specially tagged statues. He picks up the statue and drops it, causing it to smash and become a living monster. You can't really control the order in which he ports to the different statues, but it might be based on sprite ID numbers.

Here is how to set them up. First, they must be statues (pal 17) of either GOLEM or WRAITH. Second, the statues must have the same lotag as the pal 25 WIZARD sprite. When the boss wizard is getting low on health, or just when he feels like it, he will check to see if there are any golem or wraith statues in the map sharing his lotag, and if so he will pick one of them to teleport to.

• Honored Donor

Umm, how do I give the wizard a lotag if he's being respawned? If I use the same lotag as the respawn itself, then the statues will wake up at the same time as the spawn. I also assume I give the respawn an extra of 4 to make it a super boss (it doesn't mention it in my document, but in WG's map it has an extra of 4, and it says that for the cyberdemons)

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 24 July 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

Umm, how do I give the wizard a lotag if he's being respawned? If I use the same lotag as the respawn itself, then the statues will wake up at the same time as the spawn. I also assume I give the respawn an extra of 4 to make it a super boss (it doesn't mention it in my document, but in WG's map it has an extra of 4, and it says that for the cyberdemons)

If he's being spawned, then he has a lotag of 100 by default. And setting extra to 4 does not do anything on a wizard. The only thing that makes him a boss is being pal 25.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm glad to hear my map might actually see the light of day. Originally it was even more opened up than it is now. I walled off certain areas to try and increase frame rate which was a huge issue running under HRP and Polymer. I know I said I was done messing with that map but I just couldn't resist. I deleted one of the useless empty sectors that used to house a large temple model and it's surroundings. And I created a quick mockup of a smaller sized castle with a moat surrounding it and a bridge to cross. It has elevation now. :(

I'll email the newer version shortly.

Added: Email sent

This post has been edited by Marked: 24 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 24 July 2011 - 12:58 AM, said:

My idea is to populate the city with human NPCs, and then give the player tasks he has to perform. For example, maybe he has to defend certain buildings from monster attack (you defend one building for a minute, then you have to run across town and defend another one). There could be arrows on the map telling you where to go next, if necessary. It would be a lot of code and art to add for just one map, but it would lead to some very different gameplay that other mappers could use later.

That could suits perfectly for one map i'm working atm, is possible you can do civilians that the player needs to rescue just like in Dukeplus?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 24 July 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm glad to hear my map might actually see the light of day. Originally it was even more opened up than it is now. I walled off certain areas to try and increase frame rate which was a huge issue running under HRP and Polymer. I know I said I was done messing with that map but I just couldn't resist. I deleted one of the useless empty sectors that used to house a large temple model and it's surroundings. And I created a quick mockup of a smaller sized castle with a moat surrounding it and a bridge to cross. It has elevation now. :(

I'll email the newer version shortly.

Added: Email sent

I've got the new version and I'm going to experiment with having townsfolk in it walking around. I've put a lot of waypoints in it that I would like to preserve, so let me know when you want to work on it again and I will send you an updated copy.

User is offline   E.C.S 

After watching much here progress I want to finish the map I planned to do for WGR2, still being lazy is a big stop for me :(

This post has been edited by E.C.S: 24 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

• Music Producer

View PostE.C.S, on 24 July 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

After watching much here progress I want to finish the map I planned to do for WGR2, still being lazy is a big stop for me :(

Maybe a shot just for morbo :(

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostNorvak, on 24 July 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

Maybe a shot just for morbo :(

I'm trying, but something like this is stopping me with the progress:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm trying to do the map 100% (or maybe 80%-90%) like the original map. After long time not using Mapster32 I completely forgot how to do a proper tower. Magnets, how they work?

• Duke Plus Developer

^ That looks great, despite the problems. I hope you manage to sort it out.

Enough stuff has changed since the last update that I need to make an entire new full package. This should not mess up any existing maps, but a lot of .art files have been modified, as well as code and sounds. I will give the password for the protected WGR2 forum to the mappers and post a link to the new version there, when it is ready.

• Duke Plus Developer

I have sent a PM to you guys with a password that allows access to the private WGR2 forum, where I have just posted a big update.

User is offline   Mark 

I installed the latest copy and I will continue filling up some of my map's areas left empty where some building models used to be. I'll also spread around some sprites on walls to liven it up a bit. I'll let you know when I have gone about as far as I can and then will hand it over to someone that can "make the magic happen" with weapons, monsters and other WGR2 specific stuff. To be honest I haven't played enough to know a good many of the features available. And despite having mapped for at least a year and a half I'm still a noob because none of my unfinished TCs have gotten to the point of adding that stuff. I don't want to lower the bar for quality play by doing it myself. :(

This post has been edited by Marked: 25 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

• Music Producer

View PostThe Commander, on 12 July 2011 - 04:18 AM, said:

Done,

http://www.mediafire...o7980lco1941w23

Should be easy enough for people to install it, just extract it to your WGR2 folder and launch KAIN in the episode list.
All but 4-5 mins of game play. :(

Hey Commander could I use this map? i have an idea on how to matching it on a level

This post has been edited by Norvak: 25 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options