Duke4.net Forums: Mapping - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 04 July 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

No difference I can see after running the fix. I wish there was an easy way to locate the walls or sectors that are listed as corrupt. Moving the cursor over 1000's of walls and hoping to find the problem ones is mind numbing :)

I think you can cycle through the corrupt walls by pressing alt ] and alt [ (or is it Ctrl ] ? in 2D mode.

You should use the current mapster, not the one that comes with the last released WGR2.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMarked, on 04 July 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

No difference I can see after running the fix. I wish there was an easy way to locate the walls or sectors that are listed as corrupt. Moving the cursor over 1000's of walls and hoping to find the problem ones is mind numbing :)

Oh I should probably have mentioned that you'll have to do it several times for it to do anything. Even if it can't get rid of all the errors, it should be able to get rid of most of them.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks a bunch. The ctrl [ combo was the the thing I needed. One error was just a step in a staircase. Somehow one wall was drawn over another. I had a hell of a time trial and error trying to delete a single walll all by itself.

The big error is also a mystery as to how it happened. There is a relatively simple staircase type platform I added to the map more than a year ago. I never did a copy and paste of it but somehow there were 4 overlapping instances of it. That was also a massive hassle to remove them all.

So ( in theory ) I now have an error free map. :P I'm going to see how many older versions of this map I have and check them out for these same errors and see if I can nail down when it happened. I wonder if this had any bearing on the framerate issues the map had.

I was about to click the Post button and I just remembered that long ago I sent the map to DanM to add a few outdoor details. He copied and pasted a couple of buildings and I found one other area that had been copied over itself. I'll bet that might be what happened here. I never ran this particular WGR2 version of Mapster before so I never saw the error messages before now. I'll have to shake my finger at him in a PM. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I know there are some maps in the works and I promised an update. I haven't forgotten about you guys, but I won't be able to work on WGR2 again until The Imperium is released. So it will be a few more weeks, probably.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I sent the map I was working on to Micky C, if he doesn't end up using it I will just post what I have here.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 11 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

• Honored Donor

Go ahead and post it up, I've decided not to use it. It's good, but my map is large enough at this stage that it's getting excessive adding on more large areas. I might as well keep it all original and focus on finishing off what I've already done.

I recommend everyone has a look at what Commander has done, it's quite interesting, and hopefully someone can make something of it.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Done,

http://www.mediafire...o7980lco1941w23

Should be easy enough for people to install it, just extract it to your WGR2 folder and launch KAIN in the episode list.
All but 4-5 mins of game play. :)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 12 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I have too many projects going on. If anyone wants the Ancient Rome map I was converting for use here, let me know and I will send it to you. Use all, part or none as you choose. Almost all walls and sectors have been re-textured. Some of the sprite based floors and ceilings need to be re-added or tweaked.

There are some places and structures that were removed or changed to improve frame rates so it's not quite the same as all the screenshots I posted last year and earlier this year.A lot more empty spaces. Plus no models or Polymer lighting as in the original Eduke version. But it may still be a usable base for something.

This post has been edited by Marked: 13 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I would like to have a copy of it. I'm not promising anything, but it's possible it will get finished as a wgr2 level.

• Honored Donor

My WGRealms 2 map is about 75% done. Technically all it needs is some detailing and gameplay as the pathway and overall structure is pretty much done. The problem is I'm meant to be studying for exams which are in a week's time, but I'd be surprised if I couldn't get this done within 2 months or less, not including beta testing. I'm estimating a bit over 20 minutes in gameplay.

Isometric view of map as proof of existence:

Spoiler

User is offline   Mark 

View PostDeeperThought, on 13 July 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

I would like to have a copy of it. I'm not promising anything, but it's possible it will get finished as a wgr2 level.

Should I attach it here?

Or PM your email address to me?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 14 July 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Should I attach it here?

Or PM your email address to me?

You can attach the map to a PM. No need for e-mail.

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I'll look again how to attach in PM

I didn't see that option before.

• Honored Donor

Ok I've worked on my map some more, it's "playable" from start to finish. It took me 17 minutes with God mode and dnstuff. It still needs more details, some retexturing, and additional gameplay. I'm using polymer lights indoors where the framerate is better, but outdoors I'll try and stick with simple sector lighting.

DT, I have some coding requests for my map which I hope won't be too much of a problem:
1. There appears to be a 'ladder' sprite, which I'm guessing was meant to be the ladder effect from DukePlus, but doesn't do anything. Would it be too much trouble to add the code for that?
2. Can an option be added for the platupspawner so that it must be activated e.g by a switch before it starts spawning rising platforms?

Edit:
3. Can the new polymer light optimization code also be ported to WGRealms? I'm not using that many lights, but every little bit of optimization is going to be needed. I'm not sure if there's already code to disable lights from projectiles or explosions or not.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 15 July 2011 - 05:05 AM, said:

Ok I've worked on my map some more, it's "playable" from start to finish. It took me 17 minutes with God mode and dnstuff. It still needs more details, some retexturing, and additional gameplay. I'm using polymer lights indoors where the framerate is better, but outdoors I'll try and stick with simple sector lighting.

DT, I have some coding requests for my map which I hope won't be too much of a problem:
1. There appears to be a 'ladder' sprite, which I'm guessing was meant to be the ladder effect from DukePlus, but doesn't do anything. Would it be too much trouble to add the code for that?
2. Can an option be added for the platupspawner so that it must be activated e.g by a switch before it starts spawning rising platforms?

Edit:
3. Can the new polymer light optimization code also be ported to WGRealms? I'm not using that many lights, but every little bit of optimization is going to be needed. I'm not sure if there's already code to disable lights from projectiles or explosions or not.

1. I can add ladders.
2. What happens if you use a RESPAWN to spawn the platform spawner?
3. Already done, but I haven't uploaded the latest code.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 14 July 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

OK. I'll look again how to attach in PM

I didn't see that option before.

Feel free to e-mail me with that map if you still can't find the attachment button. :(

User is offline   Mark 

I see buttons for insert media, insert links, insert email address, insert code, insert image.

I'm just not finding the attach file function in PM. GAAAHHHH!!!

And you'll have to PM your email address so I can send the file.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 16 July 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

I see buttons for insert media, insert links, insert email address, insert code, insert image.

I'm just not finding the attach file function in PM. GAAAHHHH!!!

And you'll have to PM your email address so I can send the file.

When you start writing the PM, click the button for "USE FULL EDITOR". The attachment button will be there, just like you are writing a regular forum post.

Also, my e-mail address is listed in my profile (my MSN address).

User is offline   Mark 

That is what I have been doing. Here is a screen capture of the PM page after hitting the use full editor button. I see no attach file button like at the bottom of a posting page.

I will send the email shortly.

This post has been edited by Marked: 16 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's there for me. Maybe it's a special moderator privilege.

Well, you can always use e-mail.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pmscreen.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Class warfare. The haves vs the have-nots. :(

Email has just been sent.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 16 July 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Class warfare. The haves vs the have-nots. :(

Let them eat attachments! :D

Map received. :(

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 02 July 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

Norvak, are you still working on your episode?

Yeah, on spare time but you know all this stuff takes months to finish

Another useless but intriguing shot:

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on 19 July 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

Another useless but intriguing shot:

Fuck yeah! :(

• Honored Donor

I've hit a wall with my map (actually a floor rather) so I decided to exploit it for a pic: Enjoy a flooded village :(

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

A flooded village. That has got to be a mapping first. At least I've never seen it before.

Looking at water textures in Eduke makes me think I would give my left nut for water that looks like the stuff from modern games like Crysis or Far Cry.

Wall texture too. Well this map seems to have an odd choice of wall texture o.O

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Flooded village = cool idea :(

Putting an opaque texture on the ground does not make it look like water, so yeah the old Build system is limited in that respect.

As for the wall texture on the big mountain wall in the upper right of the screen: it's a large texture that makes the repetition very obvious and an eyesore. It definitely needs a texture that looks better at a distance.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postrasmus thorup, on 20 July 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Wall texture too. Well this map seems to have an odd choice of wall texture o.O

Yes, may you could enlarge the wall texture to fit the dimensions Micky, also imho i think the map is huge and it means more empty spaces, anyway a flooded ville is an original idea :D

BTW could somebody post the tiles.cfg file that comes with WGR2, i replace it with the one from Eduke by error :( and don't want to download the whole thing just for that file :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on 20 July 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yes, may you could enlarge the wall texture to fit the dimensions

I think that is hopeless since the dimensions are so large, and imo he is better off using a different texture that looks good tiled.

View PostNorvak, on 20 July 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

BTW could somebody post the tiles.cfg file that comes with WGR2, i replace it with the one from Eduke by error :( and don't want to download the whole thing just for that file :(

I have attached it.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  tiles.zip (2.34K)
    Number of downloads: 762

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options