Duke4.net Forums: DNF + Steamworks = True - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF + Steamworks = True

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Shift-Tab will work in any game as long as you add it as a shortcut in Steam. But yes, major awesome feature.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 16 2011, 04:43 PM, said:

Shift-Tab will work in any game as long as you add it as a shortcut in Steam. But yes, major awesome feature.

Not true.

Works on the games I added as shortcuts in steam.

User is offline   Stabs 

diablo 2 wont work like that for example

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 15 2011, 10:28 PM, said:

Not true.

You're right. I left out the the most important requirement. As long as that game runs under OpenGL or Direct3D it will.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Fucking steam haters. Just buy the friggin game, install it with the DVD and use a cracked exe. Damn it.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

What will this mean for mods? I want a mod that makes out carry all guns if it's not setup like that multilayer. Steam complicates things and adds extra files that aren't needed to your system. I hate being required to patch a game. Sometimes they mess with games once they patch them. What is DNF becomes A rated like GTA San Andreas became and they cut stuff out with patches.

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 15 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

View PostDerickVonD, on Feb 16 2011, 08:14 PM, said:

What will this mean for mods?

It will mean nothing, just because a game uses steam does not mean it can not be moded.

Steam complicates things and adds extra files that aren't needed to your system.

Such as what?

I hate being required to patch a game. Sometimes they mess with games once they patch them.

You can tell steam not to update the game, but like all most modern games, don't expect to be able to play MP if you don't update it.

What is DNF becomes A rated like GTA San Andreas became and they cut stuff out with patches.

You just sound stupid saying that.

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 16 2011, 02:32 AM, said:

It will mean nothing, just because a game uses steam does not mean it can not be moded.

Such as what?

You can tell steam not to update the game, but like all most modern games, don't expect to be able to play MP if you don't update it.

You just sound stupid saying that.

Steam backs everything up in gcp files. The gcp files and the game folders have the same content the gcp is kind of like a backup but its not needed and takes up space. I don't like steam or programs like it it forces you to use an external program to play a game, this is one the reasons I hate itunes. These programs just have a feel to them like "You must use this and you must update or else." feel to them and they are unnecessary programs and don't give the user a choice not to use them. I Don't like companies having control over a product I have bought.

If you are so against Steam then just do what DavoX said, "Just buy the friggin game, install it with the DVD and use a cracked exe. Damn it."

It must be a very small number of gamers/user that do not use steam and I do not think that Gearbox is really going to give a fuck about them.

You either use steam and play the game you have been waiting so long for, play it on a console or don't play it at all and come to forums and bitch about something that has been done to death already.

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 16 2011, 03:04 AM, said:

If you are so against Steam then just do what DavoX said, "Just buy the friggin game, install it with the DVD and use a cracked exe. Damn it."

It must be a very small number of gamers/user that do not use steam and I do not think that Gearbox is really going to give a fuck about them.

You either use steam and play the game you have been waiting so long for, play it on a console or don't play it at all and come to forums and bitch about something that has been done to death already.

Hey they're no reason to get smart. You asked me a question and I simply replied to you about the GCP files and they you reply that I'm bitching. Bitching would be if I kept posting over and over again about my dislike for steam. There is no reason to bring douchiness into this.

One it's "gcf" and they are only primarily used for the "source" games.
All other games download straight to the "common" folder. (Just like DNF would)

User is offline   BloodShed 

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 16 2011, 09:16 AM, said:

One it's "gcf" and they are only primarily used for the "source" games.
All other games download straight to the "common" folder. (Just like DNF would)

Also "gcf" aren't even used anymore, Valve stopped using them since the release of Left 4 Dead (only older source and GoldSrc engines use them).

User is offline   Green 

Randy Pitchford said:

I’ll tell you what. Steam helps. As a guy in this industry though, I don’t trust Valve.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/...alve?page=0%2C2

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 16 2011, 01:49 AM, said:

You could react that way. Or you could see all the benefits and admit how it's actually better for you.

The freedom without steam overweights the cheap benefits of steam

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The only legitimate complaint game developers have about Steam is Valve is very stingy about what they sell on it. The way it works is you submit your game, they give it a once over and can deny it for any reason. A common response is "we already have a similar game in our store, try harder" or something to that effect. A whole lot of indie-devs are butthurt over Valve's catering to the bigger studios who crank out the same thing year after year.

View PostDerickVonD, on Feb 15 2011, 11:48 PM, said:

Steam backs everything up in gcp files. The gcp files and the game folders have the same content the gcp is kind of like a backup but its not needed and takes up space. I don't like steam or programs like it it forces you to use an external program to play a game, this is one the reasons I hate itunes. These programs just have a feel to them like "You must use this and you must update or else." feel to them and they are unnecessary programs and don't give the user a choice not to use them. I Don't like companies having control over a product I have bought.

You are absolutely and 100% wrong.
And don't try to argue with me, because steam's insides are part of my domain of expertise ever since steam was invented.
The "gcp" files as you call them are actually called "GCF" and they are not bakups they are the archives where the game is stored.
GCF files are ONLY for source games aka the games made by Valve and they are not a backup and yes they are needed!
As for every other game on steam, there are NCF files which are a few kilobytes in size and they are just files that tell steam where to download your game and what files is your game supposed to have at all times, in order to work.
If your game gets broken for some reason, you can just validate your game inside steam and it autofixes itself with the help of the steam servers that check all the files from your game folder, to see if there's a corrupt or missing one.
The only modified files are the exe and maybe one or a few .dll's that require steam to start in order for the game to start too.
Such modified files do not cause any problems with a game's modding ability.
Games that have both retail versions and steam versions have identical files and folders!
If you take a retail game folder and you dump it's contents inside a folder of a steam version of the same game, the only thing steam will do, is to automatically delete and redownload the .exe and maybe one or more launch .dlls and replace them with steam dependent versions and check if your retail files were up to date and update them if needed!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

mr. deviance is right.

and this thread is full of shit. sorry

View Postzwieback, on Feb 16 2011, 08:01 AM, said:

mr. deviance is right.

and this thread is full of shit. sorry

Of course I'm right. I'm Mr.Deviance and I am not at all modest! ;)

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on Feb 16 2011, 11:08 AM, said:

Of course I'm right. I'm Mr.Deviance and I am not at all modest! ;)

Yep, it's time to go. :P

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

People need to stop hating on something just to "sound smart." At the end of the day, you usually come off as an asshole who doesn't know what they are talking about. If you wanna sound like a self serving douchebag using a MacBook in a Starbucks, that's your prerogative.

People just gotta be aware of the consequences of doing so.

• The Sarien Encounter

Hey, now that we know the game is a Steamworks title that means the demo will probably also be Steamworks. Meaning it'll be a lot harder to pirate to non-First Access members once it's released. Brilliant, really. And expected.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 16 2011, 03:34 PM, said:

Hey, now that we know the game is a Steamworks title that means the demo will probably also be Steamworks. Meaning it'll be a lot harder to pirate to non-First Access members once it's released. Brilliant, really. And expected.

what I love about it is the demo will just pop up one day waiting to be downloaded, that's gonna be one heluva good day ;)

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostIggy, on Feb 15 2011, 01:32 PM, said:

Not completely happy about this because this simply means I'll be stuck with a stupid censored German version. However, the Australian version has been confirmed to be uncut so maybe there's a bit of hope. Right.

Three notes:
1) Option 1: Import the game from the US (it'd be cheaper anyway) and more importantly, use a US proxy server while doing the initial setup since I suspect it is actually this step where the game gets censored (probably), just in case, you can also temporarily change your windows locale to the US as well, after that, switch all the shit back and always play it using offline mode in steam.
2) Option 2: I don't wanna say it, but censorship sux, especially on a game like DNF, if it gets censored in Germany just don't buy it, it wouldn't be worth it. By paying for a censored version, you're basically saying you agree with the censoring job they did on it. I am going to be rather blunt right now and say pirate the game if they censor it. DNF censored would suck, trust me, I've played the original Duke3D in its censored form, it wasn't a pretty sight.
3) Even in Australia, they can choose to censor the game post-release if someone in the government sees the game and wants it censored, that's another thing I have against Steam, and we wouldn't have any choice but to accept that.

Raz.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostRaziel, on Feb 17 2011, 12:52 AM, said:

Three notes:
1) Option 1: Import the game from the US (it'd be cheaper anyway) and more importantly, use a US proxy server while doing the initial setup since I suspect it is actually this step where the game gets censored (probably), just in case, you can also temporarily change your windows locale to the US as well, after that, switch all the shit back and always play it using offline mode in steam.
2) Option 2: I don't wanna say it, but censorship sux, especially on a game like DNF, if it gets censored in Germany just don't buy it, it wouldn't be worth it. By paying for a censored version, you're basically saying you agree with the censoring job they did on it. I am going to be rather blunt right now and say pirate the game if they censor it. DNF censored would suck, trust me, I've played the original Duke3D in its censored form, it wasn't a pretty sight.
3) Even in Australia, they can choose to censor the game post-release if someone in the government sees the game and wants it censored, that's another thing I have against Steam, and we wouldn't have any choice but to accept that.

Raz.

excessive violence against humans is Australia's whinge factor, and with nudity well underbelly clearly shows Australia has no problem with it, and they let TLAD for GTA4 through and that had a penis in it

I have never seen them backflip on anything censorship wise as it shows they were wrong in the first place and our government never admits to making mistakes

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDanM, on Feb 17 2011, 07:03 PM, said:

I have never seen them backflip on anything censorship wise as it shows they were wrong in the first place and our government never admits to making mistakes

God bless the Australian Government!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options