• You cannot reply to this topic

DNF + Steamworks = True

User is offline   Sebastian 

This just in: http://www.facebook.com/DukeGame

View PostSebastian, on Feb 15 2011, 07:28 PM, said:

Woah. Not surprising really considering borderlands and HL

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 15 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Totally happy:)

awesome, i get the best of both worlds;)

Yeah I think it's great too.

User is offline   Stewox 

That's bullcrap , without any hints , without any fucking warning they announce this , omfg.

It's always like that when it is too good some stupid surprise has to come , well , this ended my day with a punch on the head.

User is offline   aftli 

I believe actual Steamworks integration (usually) means I can enter my retail CD key into Steam, and turn it into a Steam copy. That way, I don't have to buy both! Hooray!

Also, I should add that this probably means that DNF won't have ridiculous intrusive DRM beyond Steam DRM. Excellent. Horrible DRM would have honestly ruined the game for me.

This post has been edited by aftli: 15 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

Yeah you can buy a retail copy and register with Steam if you want. I don't believe it's a requirement.

User is offline   Iggy 

View PostSebastian, on Feb 15 2011, 01:22 PM, said:

Yeah you can buy a retail copy and register with Steam if you want. I don't believe it's a requirement.

Steam will be mandatory for the PC;
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?1...829#post1346829

Not completely happy about this because this simply means I'll be stuck with a stupid censored German version. However, the Australian version has been confirmed to be uncut so maybe there's a bit of hope. Right.

Thanks for clearing that up.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Meh, I don't care. Actually, I'm happy about this. It's 9000x better than using that SECUROM bullshit or GFWL. Also means PC achievements and a friends system to more easily join one another in Multiplayer matches.
If it'll mean VAC for online play, that's even better. Keeps the wallhackers and aimbotters down.
The steam haters are gonna bitch and moan baselessly and endlessly. Fuck them.

Iggy said:

Not completely happy about this because this simply means I'll be stuck with a stupid censored German version. However, the Australian version has been confirmed to be uncut so maybe there's a bit of hope. Right.

If you're worrying about Region Censors... Get a North American friend to gift you the game through the Steam System. It'll give you the North American version of the game. I'll be willing to do this for a few people.

Also, for those wanting retail copies, you can still get them. They'll just have to be registered with Steam. Though, I don't see this as a bad thing, because this guarantees you'll still have the game if you somehow lose your CD, either by misplacement, fire, scratches, etc. It also means you'll be able to play it on any capable computer where you can sign onto steam.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'm kind of for this. I don't really like the idea of having my games in a "controlled environment", but I do love the features and ease of use it gives me. Plus I can finally show "Daedolon is playing Duke Nukem Forever" and not have it be a non-steam shortcut to Notepad.exe.

User is offline   Sean1978 

I love my steam games because I still have every single one that I purchased and it's easy to transfer them to anther computer when I get one, I was considering the Xbox version because my laptop is not new, but with steam I'd rather have the PC version.

View PostIggy, on Feb 15 2011, 09:32 PM, said:

Steam will be mandatory for the PC;
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?1...829#post1346829

Hi, DNF should be uncut if you buy the AT version and then register it on steam! It worked with my AT games so far. ;)
BTW, BoS is ready to be pre ordered. Only 70€ for the PC BoS Edition! :P Don' wait too long, tomorrow could be too late already.:P

Wait, wasn't it already known that DNF will be using steam?
I was under the impression that steam was the place to expect DNF by default?
Maybe I just assumed this based on some things that I misunderstood? But then if I understood things wrong, why was I right in my assumptions?
I didn't know about steamworks but I knew about steam.
Having any other drm would have been the killer.
Choosing steam is practically guaranteed to bring more sales and eliminate drm bitching.
I am a happy steam user since before HL2 came out and I think it's the perfect way to game on pc, these days!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

In the past I had a lot of problems with Steam, but I haven't used it since TF2 came out which I think was four years ago. As long as I can play online without too many problems I'll be fine. Well, I guess I should re-familiarize myself with Steam so I know what I'm doing when I get the game.

User is offline   ferran275 

I really don't understand all the heartache. This is a system we can now connect to our friends with, start clans etc, get achievements, on and on and on. If you don't like it (why) just play offline! can't you just install then start Steam in offline mode? I can't figure out why there is so much hate for Steam. I'm happy because I have no doubts about how I'm going to get the demo now, one day there'll be a download waiting for me :P

But to all the haters, I'm not hating back, gimme a chance to understand the hate ;)

User is offline   BloodShed 

Nice now I don't have to worry about the damn CD check before playing, like so many games today.

Next announcement will hopefully be that the company logo's you see when you start a game are shippable (or can even be turned off).
Because I goddamn hate company logo's you can't skip.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Awesome. I, for one, am quite pleased. I'm sorry to hear that it's mandatory, though, for those people that dislike such things. But personally, I'm quite pleased.

User is offline   Skulldog 

Nothing but good news today. DNF on Steam, BF 2141 1.51 patch came out today. After 2 years of waiting and that means it will be on steam soon too.
Now I can Pre-Order DNF in the Boxed DVD and Download on steam. What next, Duke Babes delivering all the games.

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostSebastian, on Feb 15 2011, 09:22 PM, said:

It is , it's always , because it's STEAMWORKS

And this is why this is some really bad news for me.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 15 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

You could react that way. Or you could see all the benefits and admit how it's actually better for you.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

User is offline   holy-inruB 

Only bad thing with steam is for some people, especially churmany, the game gets censored and fucked up, imagine Duke with german
syncronisation, more fail cant happen.
I hope it will work if I buy American Version, my fear is tht they change your version in an update to a fuckin censored fail version.
Tht happend in some steam games after some months allready.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

That's the price people pay for living in a nanny state.

User is offline   holy-inruB 

That's the price people pay for living in a nanny state.

Should I laugh or cry now?

User is offline   Dan_Death 

Oh well. I love Steam. How could anyone not expect DNF to be on Steam?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

So how do mods work if the game is on Steam?

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostSpirrwell, on Feb 15 2011, 08:49 PM, said:

I assume it would be no different than the countless other games on Steam that support mods. The real question is will DNF have mod support?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSpirrwell, on Feb 15 2011, 07:49 PM, said:

How WOULDN'T they work?? Steam won't be the reason DNF won't have MOD support. Gearbox will.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostStrikerMan780, on Feb 15 2011, 12:50 PM, said:

Meh, I don't care. Actually, I'm happy about this. It's 9000x better than using that SECUROM bullshit or GFWL. Also means PC achievements and a friends system to more easily join one another in Multiplayer matches.
If it'll mean VAC for online play, that's even better. Keeps the wallhackers and aimbotters down.
The steam haters are gonna bitch and moan baselessly and endlessly. Fuck them.

Word. Why do people hate endlessly on Steam? It's one of the best things to happen to PC gaming, right up there with DirectX, 3D acceleration, and online play. Excellent DRM, great community features, great online store, stable client and backend, and on top of all that, it gives indie developers a voice.

I've had Steam since shortly after it launched. It's come a long way.

Oh, and by the way, when I say DirectX, I'm talking about when in the mid-90's it simplified PC gaming by eliminating sound card and video card configuration. Not the early 3D API stuff, which was crap.

This post has been edited by Descent: 15 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

steam wins because of shift+tab and if it had file transfer i could get rid of msn forever

i really hope they made the multi work with the freinds list , like join game / view game info

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options