Duke4.net Forums: "It's just a Map." - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"It's just a Map."  "Just showing some cool designs."

User is offline   NerdZilla 

This is a small 2 floor building with roof on a tiny island. I just wanted to share some of the new map designs.
And I thought you guys mite like it?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0004.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 15 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Short map, but it needs work. I have no comment.

Edit:
The foolish man built his house on the sand, while the wise man built his house on the rocks.

Why did I see purple grid lines on the mini map while playing this map awhile ago?

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 15 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Checked it out. It's kind of cool, though I really can't see it being jazzed up into an actual (i.e, playable) map. Between this and that recreation of Aztec you posted a few months back, I've noticed that you have a knack for making a lot of the actual level out of sprites. That's good, but you seem to be relying on it so much that you wind up sacrificing detail just to have a functional (albeit clip-crazy) ROR. The mountain was also a nice touch, though it was a tad too blocky. If you can grab a copy of the Starship troopers TC sequel, check out a few of the BIGLANDS maps in it. They're essentially just a bunch of mountainous areas, but they're done VERY well.

Was it hard to make it sloped like that?

View PostJhect, on Feb 15 2011, 05:46 AM, said:

Was it hard to make it sloped like that?

Yes, thats why you never see maps like this.

View PostEmericaSkater, on Feb 15 2011, 05:31 AM, said:

Checked it out. It's kind of cool, though I really can't see it being jazzed up into an actual (i.e, playable) map. Between this and that recreation of Aztec you posted a few months back, I've noticed that you have a knack for making a lot of the actual level out of sprites. That's good, but you seem to be relying on it so much that you wind up sacrificing detail just to have a functional (albeit clip-crazy) ROR. The mountain was also a nice touch, though it was a tad too blocky. If you can grab a copy of the Starship troopers TC sequel, check out a few of the BIGLANDS maps in it. They're essentially just a bunch of mountainous areas, but they're done VERY well.

To make a playable map Is as easy as putting a blue card in a building full of enemy. And saying "Go get that card."

Other open map buildings are often just a block out of the ground with a few spites on it. And you can't walk into it.
I cut back on detail because Id like have a good frame rate. I'm leave any detailing for the HRP GFX.

Post me picks on the Starship troopers TC sequel. I'm interested in seeing this persons work.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 15 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

This is a cool map, mostly because of the sloping.

And yes, building a nice looking house, while being able to go into it, and at the same time have a nice framerate is hard, to top that you also decided to make it a open map.

And btw i am actually making few maps where i also look at the sloping. It takes a lot of time, but it gives the map a touch of reality.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 15 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostThe Dukenator, on Feb 15 2011, 03:51 AM, said:

Short map, but it needs work. I have no comment.

Edit:
The foolish man built his house on the sand, while the wise man built his house on the rocks.

Why did I see purple grid lines on the mini map while playing this map awhile ago?

It does need work. I just wanted to share the new design on the building. This newer design is much easier on duke3d's limits. Giving you a much better frame rate.

I'm adding a bigger island that goes around around the smaller one. With other kinds of buildings as well as cheap clones done in other way.
Your mission is to blow up all the buildings by planting bombs on them. As your player says "I got a present for ya."
But they will be protected by bad guys.
After doing that, an EXIT will show up. I'm thinking something like a chopper in the middle of the map.
Then you goto the next map. With other takes on the same thing.

As for the old purple grid lines. It was a 100% spite made building. It was easy to run. But left me vary limited to the number I could make.
The new one is a mutant building. Half spites, half sectors. Design to hide one half of building behind walls when your player is grounded.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 15 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

The pictures gave me inspiration to continue my map. It's a nature map with lots of grass, so hills is a must. Hours and hours of sloping o.O

I'm gonna put in the music from final fantasy 9 world map Crossing Those Hills. Just because of the name xD

This post has been edited by Jhect: 15 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostJhect, on Feb 15 2011, 01:20 PM, said:

The pictures gave me inspiration to continue my map. It's a nature map with lots of grass, so hills is a must. Hours and hours of sloping o.O

I'm gonna put in the music from final fantasy 9 world map Crossing Those Hills. Just because of the name xD

Maybe we could work together? I could send you the building blocks I made for the Island it self. And teach you how to use them. (It's like using LEGO).
But building each part takes up a lot of time. And it would be cool to have someone make stuff as I finish my work.

I just made a gravity lift for the sniper towers. And I'm about to make an elevator box. (It's an elevator/ sprite made room.

That's a pretty good idea, we seem to have the same taste ;)

I am very low on time due to my own mod i am creating. But i need breaks with it so i think this could work.

View PostJhect, on Feb 16 2011, 05:42 PM, said:

That's a pretty good idea, we seem to have the same taste ;)

I am very low on time due to my own mod i am creating. But i need breaks with it so i think this could work.

OK sounds good. Maybe I could get your help out with the game.com. The Eggs Octobrains and maybe something else. May still effected by the by the Freeze blast, Shrink spark and Grow spark.
So far I made it so the plasma gun is an Octobrain weakness. If you hit them? It blows there mind and there head explodes.
Also I wanted to add the effect that the SPIT hit does on the player. Where your cross hair gets knocked away.
I'm hoping to add that to maybe everything but Shotspark1.

I'll post an update soon. I mite turn my sprite back to the Pigcop. The funnier I make the mod the better it will be.
And there is a lot of stuff like the tank spite. That could be turned into a vehicle that runs in software mode.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 17 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

New update.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0003.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 18 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options