Duke4.net Forums: Losing Hope - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Losing Hope

User is offline   django 

I have followed this games developpement since the '90s, and I always thought this wid-thing was cool, and kept my hope up. But now is the first time I started to lose it, nothing is coming out, I really thought it was going to be this summer. But no sound. GB is'nt showing up on the forum, no news, what are they doing there? What do you think, will there ever be a DNF?

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Of course, I never understood this kind of pessimism... be glad he doesn't show up on the forum, that's more time he spends on other things. Of course there is no news, that's their plan, not getting hopes up.
What they are doing there? Probably working on the game, and negotiating with developers that are developing games for them :)

User is offline   Lead 

If there is any hope I lost, it is of the "best game ever" and assumption that it would set the bar for years to come like I thought it would originally.

My reasoning comes from the fact that a lot of the cool "what if" things that we wished future shooters would do has been done little by little throughout various FPS games over the last 11 years since Duke3D was originally out. I still hold out hope that it will own and be a really cool game, but I my hope just no longer includes the possibility that it will be anywhere as revolutionary as I had hoped.

I see this more as a safety precaution though when I keep my hopes low, because I would rather be wrong and pleasantly surprised than wrong and grossly disappointed.

User is offline   el Greco 

Don't lose hope... I'm a frequent visitor on this site, but never on the forums (as you all can probably tell... "protozoid slimer" lol) I registered a forum account today just to post this. I'm not sure if people on the forums here have been aware of this, (I haven't seen any topic being related to this thing), but if you go to bestbuy.com, you'll come to see that its computer game section includes Duke Nukem Forever... :)

Currently, of course, the game is not in the store but Best Buy has the option to Pre-Order the game. And most of all, if you take a look at the game's release, according to Best Buy it will be 12/1/2007.

Take a look:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1149208575530

If the link doesn't work, then just practically go to www.bestbuy.com and type in Duke Nukem in the search bar. You'll come across this.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I agree with Cerb here...

btw
Welcome to the forums el Greco

Don't make your hopes up, this happens often...
Hell, Amazon has done this 1000 of times before... Bestbuy probably too

Trust me, they can't possibly know anything at all... The Developers don't even know when it's done...
If anything, it would be all over the news, if it was anything like an Official date

Seriously, this has happened VERY often, this is nothing special...

Anyways, enjoy your stay here :)

User is offline   el Greco 

Thank you for the welcome, Micki.

Wow... And I really thought that the best buy post could've meant something... It was odd too, since all other sites such as EB Games, Amazon, etc. did not post this except for Best Buy.

Well, I guess the best thing after all would be to just wait and see...

That's not odd, that's because it's false :) B)

User is offline   Micki! 

It kinda sucks that websites use cheap marketing tricks like these... it should be illigal to claim such things untill they get thier hands on actual information

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

I've not lost hope, but I am getting very tired of their silence - especially after the little thumbnails they released early this year.

GB says they're likely to show a lot this year, but as the months drag on, it seems less and less likely to happen.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Aug 23 2007, 11:14 AM, said:

I've not lost hope, but I am getting very tired of their silence - especially after the little thumbnails they released early this year.

GB says they're likely to show a lot this year, but as the months drag on, it seems less and less likely to happen.

Well, GB is a great example of the expression "talk is cheap."

I lost hope too, but I'm still a Duke fan. These days I just run Duke4.net because it's a hobby... not because I believe DNF will come out.

User is offline   Lead 

Overall I wouldn't say I have lost hope as much as I've just lost patience. Its 100% certain the game will be released, so there is nothing to lose hope about regarding release.

If they show anything this year and I had to guess, it would be that they would do it around Christmas\New Years since they seem to have a habit of releasing things to fans in general around that time, and media about games had been previously released around that time before as well.

View PostYatta, on Aug 24 2007, 05:06 AM, said:

Well, GB is a great example of the expression "talk is cheap."

I lost hope too, but I'm still a Duke fan. These days I just run Duke4.net because it's a hobby... not because I believe DNF will come out.

That's not a mindset for a moderator eh... you should give the good example :)

User is offline   Lead 

I think its funny that anybody ever thought DNF wouldn't come out.

They've taken a huge amount of time on it but the only thing that would stop them would have been going bankrupt, which is something that certainly is was seen to not be possible when Max Payne 1 came out and made them a great deal of money. After Max Payne 2 and Prey, as well as them selling off the Max Payne rights for even more money, it is certain they have plenty of cash to fund themselves for a long time.

That is also why they are looking to start producing more than just one out of house game at a time. Their original roots were being a game publisher, so I think producing other's games makes a lot of sense especially when they have first hand experience of game development.

While Prey originally got canned, I always saw that as impossible to happen to DNF because it was their flagship franchise and is the most obvious thing that would make a lot of money.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Give em to the end of this year and then decide for yourself.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postkaisersoze, on Aug 27 2007, 01:39 PM, said:

A Christmas present from 3DR would be nice... unless it's just high resolution images of the same thumbnails they've released and nothing more (which I suspect will be the case).

We'll see... :) In the meantime I'm playing GW:Eye of the North

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Still here I see. Nice to have you around. :)

User is offline   django 

View Postkaisersoze, on Aug 27 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

Ok, I'm gonna keep the spirit up until Christmas, then I'm leavning this shit. Hell I'm 35 (hence 24 when I first came in contact with D3D), and this is turning into a sickness. I read in an article here in Sweden, that its not good for your mental hygein to sit around and wait for something to happen, it paralyzes you and it will make you depressed. Not that my life evolves around DNF, but too often I check in 3d realms site to see if something has happened. Soon we all need therapy.

User is offline   Micki! 

You know, you can always "return" to like it, once it's out...

the silence in the 3DR boards is unusual. The last time he posted in the DNF section was on 26th May.
at least he could through a bone every 2-3 months or so...He should now that his bones let the DNF section alive. :)

User is offline   Lead 

I'm just wondering what their plans are, because when a highly anticipated game is nearing completion it seems places typically start showing media 6-8 months before release at the latest.

So having not heard anything yet I have no belief that I'll play it any time within a year.

• Honored Donor

Lead, I'd almost guarantee the game is still over a year out.

Unless the game is shown off by the end of this year, I think there's a good chance
it'll slip into 2009 or 2010.

I'm hoping George is staying quiet right now because they're working on putting stuff together to show us and that when he finally does come back to the DNF forum, it will be with some cool stuff in tow!

User is offline   Lead 

It seems like the silence always seems to come after something has happened and not before. Like there will be a little chatter and then some sort of news gets out and then they are silent. So after there were 2 postage stamp screen shots and that magazine article, I'm blaming the silence on that and not letting myself think it means anything is coming.

With our luck any Christmas news would probably be some bs like Duke3D on XBox Live, or source code to Pharaoh's Tomb By Jorge Brouserd.

• Honored Donor

View PostLead, on Sep 14 2007, 02:36 AM, said:

It seems like the silence always seems to come after something has happened and not before. Like there will be a little chatter and then some sort of news gets out and then they are silent. So after there were 2 postage stamp screen shots and that magazine article, I'm blaming the silence on that and not letting myself think it means anything is coming.

With our luck any Christmas news would probably be some bs like Duke3D on XBox Live, or source code to Pharaoh's Tomb By Jorge Brouserd.

There's probably a very good chance Duke 3D will formally be announced as coming to Xbox Live Arcade around then.

About 3 months to go before the end of the year, will we see anything at all in regards to DNF?

I hope.

Well there is still the 2nd announcement from the Projects division. The ENM unveiling article had a sidebar about DNF. I think any other magazine will demand to get atleast the same, maybe we will even get a real screenshot(a non-thubmnail one) and/or a official confirmation of a DNF trailer. Say such an article appears this month and a trailer in December/Christmas that would be neat.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Kristian, what article are you talking about? Are the scans of it available?

View PostKristian Joensen, on Sep 14 2007, 11:08 PM, said:

Well there is still the 2nd announcement from the Projects division. The ENM unveiling article had a sidebar about DNF. I think any other magazine will demand to get atleast the same, maybe we will even get a real screenshot(a non-thubmnail one) and/or a official confirmation of a DNF trailer. Say such an article appears this month and a trailer in December/Christmas that would be neat.

New project:
Van Lierop said that in mid of june, so we can expect a unveiling of a new 3DR game in one month - december this year. :) Maybe a Bombshell game? Would be ubercool B)
DNF:
Scott said in the Game informer article that DNF is moving quickly forward. Quickly is a huge step in comparison to the years before. Hopefully the new veterans will speed up DNF's progress and also influence George to act a bit more goal oriented. George you can't make a game forever, there are always thinks you can improve, it's a vicious circle. B)

Ehh, I am talking about the Earth No More(That is what ENM is) article. The other article is a hypothetical article that I am hoping for/speculating about.

Edit:

I was replying to Yatta, not Jobi-Wan Kenobi.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi:

Van Lierop said that in mid of june, so we can expect a unveiling of a new 3DR game in one month - december this year.

Well yeah, he said in an interview on June 14nd, that there where to be 2 non-DNF related this year, one 4-6 weeks from that date, which turned out to be ENM, the other would be 4-6 months from then(remember one thing though, interview are usually done a bit before they are posted). So that would be in October, which is next month, to December.

So pretty soon we should see something. If it is not Prey 2 then it is probably a Bombshell game.

View PostKristian Joensen, on Sep 15 2007, 03:30 PM, said:

Ehh, I am talking about the Earth No More(That is what ENM is) article. The other article is a hypothetical article that I am hoping for/speculating about.

but the ENM article only says that there are 3 unannounced projects in the works. Van Lierop said in the gamasutra interview that there will be probably a major announcement (nothing to do with DNF) in october-december. :)

In the 3DR news section Joe Siegler wrote this in the ENM Gameinformer revealing

Finally, you'll also want to keep your ears open for another big announcement coming soon (which doesn't have anything to do with DNF).

so it is a fact that we gonna see some announcement in october-december. B)

but the ENM article only says that there are 3 unannounced projects in the works. Van Lierop said in the gamasutra interview that there will be probably a major announcement (nothing to do with DNF) in october-december.

Indeed this is what I was saying.

so it is a fact that we gonna see some announcement in october-december.

My point exactly.

I was thinking actually would you really call the Game Informer article a Earth No More article ? Couldn't it be looked at more like a "3D Realms Projects division article with a special emphasis on Earth No More" ? I mean it was only the last page that was about ENM.

This time around they could be doing a similar article with the emphasis about the new game they want unveil and then having a more extensive DNF sidebar like I mentioned in my post above.

Even better(here comes the wishfull thinking) they might do a general 3D Realms article instead of a Projects division article and even have MORE about DNF than about the other game.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options