Duke4.net Forums: Ign's epic fail attempt at putting DNF down in their preview backfired big time! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ign's epic fail attempt at putting DNF down in their preview backfired big time!

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Dude be grateful, in mean we went 6 years without one pixel of a screenshot, for God sake, It could be worse.

;) I am enjoying it, i just get annoyed by some things.

User is offline   Martin 

To be fair, when I was watching that latest gameplay video from the Vegas event I did think that the graphics weren't very good. Blocky, sluggish.

User is offline   Sebastian 

I think the main problem I have with the graphics is that there's too much contrast, especially in the turret scenes where Duke's fighting off pigcops and dropships. Not enough ambient light.

Small nitpick, but eh. Everything else looks totally passable to me. Could definitely see them improving the explosion graphics though, just looks like smears of colors to me.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Something tells me the indoor scenes are going to be better but hey... it's not a problem really. We're going to play DNF.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostSebastian, on Feb 13 2011, 10:58 AM, said:

(...) Could definitely see them improving the explosion graphics though, just looks like smears of colors to me.

I was gonna say the same thing. Even years older games have better effects - like DooM 3, Call of Duty UO and even Manhattan Project Have more detailed explosions (except for texture resolutions), at least by what we can see in the recent videos.

Posted Image

In the other hand I remember the last trailer had a very short scene where a build explode with a lot of details... ;) ???

Posted Image

PS: This DNF trailer still don't look to be in HD. F*ck... õ.O

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's 720p, dude. Also, Duke has the old gloves in that shot which means it's a lot older than what is present today.

...which also means the explosions have remained unchanged since then.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G_PwUHGjJzU

Look at the pipe-bomb that detonates at the Battlelord's ass. While the environment doesn't seem to react that much, the actual explosions have fine details.

Looks the same as any other explosion in the game to me. ;)

Notice the shape it takes, though. and really, the explosions look fine.

Don't really know what you want me to say, there's only so many ways for me to say "I disagree" (without looking like a jerk). ;)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Am I the only one to notice that the Duke Nukem 3D Explosion Sprites are being used in DNF's pipebomb explosions? Look in the Reveal Trailer and New Footage.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Dude the explosions in Duke3d are like...ultra small resolution. It's impossible someone used the same ones.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The Duke3D explosions (including the octabrain ones) have been taken from a library called Pyromania, which has them in 640x480 resolution with a ton of frames per each explosion.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDavoX, on Feb 13 2011, 03:34 PM, said:

Dude the explosions in Duke3d are like...ultra small resolution. It's impossible someone used the same ones.

No, I implore you to look again. I'm not shitting with you, nor am I lying. Those are Duke3D Graphics being used in there. (As a small piece to the total effect) Doesn't really matter if they are low res if they are a particle effect with a high level of linear or gaussian filtering. Either way, I think it's an awesome nod to Duke Nukem 3D.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

• Ancient Blood God

Link to the "New Footage" ?

Oh snap, he's right!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 15 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Just double-checked in the trailer too. Nice! Except it's really choppy looking. They should really add more frames to it.

Wait, wtf are you people talking about here? Are you saying that DNF uses the same explosion sprites that DN3D used?
Is that what you are saying? Wtf!!!

• Ancient Blood God

The funny thing here is that explosion doesn't seem to use all available frames and it starts from the same frame as the Duke3D one starts from.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They look more like the ones from the HRP.

• Ancient Blood God

Let's try once again:
Posted Image

I think it's pretty damn clear.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 15 2011, 10:02 AM, said:

They look more like the ones from the HRP.

Agreed.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostDaedolon, on Feb 15 2011, 11:12 AM, said:

Let's try once again:

I think it's pretty damn clear.

call me a newb, but where the hell did you find the source explosion they used??? that's awesome ;)

User is offline   holy-inruB 

Well, this IGN guy never played Duke3D, for sure, he dont know about the Duke spirit and seems like he is expecting something wht Duke Nukem
never was. Thts how I impress this preview article.

• Ancient Blood God

View Postferran275, on Feb 16 2011, 01:30 AM, said:

call me a newb, but where the hell did you find the source explosion they used??? that's awesome ;)

I mentioned it a few posts earlier.

User is offline   holy-inruB 

Maybe the atomice detonation is a tribute to Duke3D, why not ;)

View Postholy-inruB, on Feb 15 2011, 04:29 PM, said:

Maybe the atomice detonation is a tribute to Duke3D, why not ;)

Modern games should NOT use 15 year old sprites. End of story.

View Postblackharted, on Feb 16 2011, 08:39 AM, said:

Modern games should NOT use 15 year old sprites. End of story.

If you are talking in general then yes but in DNF's case it's not actually using the 15 year old sprite from duke 3d, it's using one made from the higher res library.
I don't see what's wrong with using 15 year old assets if they are high res.
The only reason why they would chose to use that sprite, is because it's identical to the duke 3d and now they could finally use a higher res version from the source.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Haha, it's the higher res sprite... Hey I like it ;)

I kind of like it. I know it seems stupid, but, it gives it a small cartoony nod to Duke 3D. If that is how it is and not just a place holder effect they missed or something.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options