Duke4.net Forums: Morning wood - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Morning wood

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostLuther Blissett, on Feb 9 2011, 07:56 AM, said:

I still like old 3DR Duke a lot more.

If you mean the one from the 2007 teaser trailer I'm going to have to agree with you. That is actually my favorite version of Duke, he looked so real and cool, in fact, he looked a lot like Bruce Willis, who I always thought would suit the Duke movie.

Anyway, for those that need a trip back down memory lane: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=O3xFpf_jPLc

View PostRaziel, on Feb 10 2011, 04:02 AM, said:

If you mean the one from the 2007 teaser trailer I'm going to have to agree with you. That is actually my favorite version of Duke, he looked so real and cool, in fact, he looked a lot like Bruce Willis, who I always thought would suit the Duke movie.

With the execption of the sprite hair of course! Right?

User is offline   Outtagum 

The teaser version looked like crap. It only looked good at some angles.

The bronze statue of him towering over the aliens is also the same model.

This post has been edited by Zor: 15 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostZor, on Feb 15 2011, 01:34 PM, said:

The teaser version looked like GOLD. It only looked good at EVERY angle.

The bronze statue of him towering over the aliens is also the same model. (Which is great)

Fixed.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 15 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   Raziel 

View Postblackharted, on Feb 15 2011, 12:26 PM, said:

With the execption of the sprite hair of course! Right?

Yes, but I mean, Duke's hair in the new model is not exactly impressive, I think it still looks crap. Therefore I didn't really take the hair into consideration. This new Duke model; while it kind of resembles Duke, I just can't picture it as him. The Duke from 2007 looked so hardcore and awesome! He looks like someone who's in power and can do whatever he wants, the new Duke looks like someone who needs to ask mommy every time he wants to go out of the house.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 17 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

The correct term to use here is not "Sprite hair", because they aren't sprites. "Alpha-Mapped Hair" is the term you are looking for. They are polygons with a texture applied that has an alpha channel to give the illusion of more strands. Unless you have your video card set to anti-alias edges of alpha-mapped textures (Eg. SuperSampling in NVidia Control Panel), they'll look like shit.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostStrikerMan780, on Feb 17 2011, 02:34 PM, said:

The correct term to use here is not "Sprite hair", because they aren't sprites. "Alpha-Mapped Hair" is the term you are looking for. They are polygons with a texture applied that has an alpha channel to give the illusion of more strands. Unless you have your video card set to anti-alias edges of alpha-mapped textures (Eg. SuperSampling in NVidia Control Panel), they'll look like shit.

Actually if you want to get really picky it's alpha masked hair (i.e. 1 bit alpha). If it was alpha mapped you wouldn't get as bad aliasing (even without AA) but it is a lot heavier to render and is tricky in a deferred rendering pipeline.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostRaziel, on Feb 17 2011, 04:13 AM, said:

Yes, but I mean, Duke's hair in the new model is not exactly impressive, I think it still looks crap. Therefore I didn't really take the hair into consideration. This new Duke model; while it kind of resembles Duke, I just can't picture it as him. The Duke from 2007 looked so hardcore and awesome! He looks like someone who's in power and can do whatever he wants, the new Duke looks like someone who needs to ask mommy every time he wants to go out of the house.

View PostStrikerMan780, on Feb 17 2011, 06:34 AM, said:

View PostParkar, on Feb 18 2011, 08:22 AM, said:

Actually if you want to get really picky it's alpha masked hair (i.e. 1 bit alpha). If it was alpha mapped you wouldn't get as bad aliasing (even without AA) but it is a lot heavier to render and is tricky in a deferred rendering pipeline.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love burrito's? ;)

View Postferran275, on Feb 18 2011, 03:54 PM, said:

Have I ever mentioned how much I love burrito's? ;)

Is that joke supposed to make you look funny without anybody noticing your ignorance and lack of basic knowledge?
Because if that's it, then I think it's going to be a bit hard to work that way...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I just noticed that Morningwood was in the original 1998 version of DNF. This is probably a well known fact but it's news to me, I just happened to see a pic of a water tank with that written on it which resembled the quake 2 engine days.

View PostMicky C, on Feb 19 2011, 09:52 AM, said:

I just noticed that Morningwood was in the original 1998 version of DNF. This is probably a well known fact but it's news to me, I just happened to see a pic of a water tank with that written on it which resembled the quake 2 engine days.

I noticed that the other week and thought to myself, i really should have noticed this earlier.

View PostRaziel, on Feb 17 2011, 04:13 AM, said:

Yes, but I mean, Duke's hair in the new model is not exactly impressive, I think it still looks crap. Therefore I didn't really take the hair into consideration.

Ah I see.

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

Well, I guess I was close. (Alpha Mapped vs. Alpha Masked. They are both very similar though, of course. Just one being 8-bit alpha, in which it can have varying degrees of translucency in an image, and the other being 1-bit alpha where it only has two options; completely opaque, or completely transparent/invisible.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

i wonder if the miner from the older DNFs will be in this one

• Honored Donor

You mean Gus? I think he's been cut out to the best of my knowledge.

View PostMicky C, on Feb 28 2011, 03:03 AM, said:

You mean Gus? I think he's been cut out to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah I think so too. :P Gus was cool. :D

This post has been edited by blackharted: 28 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

Let's just assume that Gus died of old age. He was already old and fat in 2001.

:P

• Honored Donor

Then again you never know; apparently a lot of the original early design is still in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he at least made a cameo somewhere.

You still have those desert levels levels in DNF and in the leaked reel video, you saw a mine car.
So it's a chance that he's still in the game, he looked like a fun guy.

View PostMicky C, on Feb 28 2011, 12:51 PM, said:

Then again you never know; apparently a lot of the original early design is still in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he at least made a cameo somewhere.

Here's hoping.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 01 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Maybe we'll find his skeleton with his clothes, hat and pick-ax in the mine area.

User is offline   Raziel 

I thought Gus being cut was confirmed, is it speculation only?

• Honored Donor

Yeah none of us have any inside info or anything. We're just guessing that we might find somebody who looks a bit like he could be Gus in a secret area or something like that, but he won't be anyone remotely important if he's in.

View PostMicky C, on Mar 5 2011, 06:09 PM, said:

Yeah none of us have any inside info or anything. We're just guessing that we might find somebody who looks a bit like he could be Gus in a secret area or something like that, but he won't be anyone remotely important if he's in.

for memory and nostalgia purpose he is important. other than that who knows

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options