Duke4.net Forums: a.dream trilogy - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a.dream trilogy

User is offline   zykov eddy 

A.dream is a mini mod which includes three horror maps. First map is an improved and edited version of A.dream 1, second is a complete remade version of A.dream 2. The third map is made from scratch.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.mediafire...udqkre1a7nxi84r

Note: play only in polymost, without HRP and polymer.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Downloading now :(

wow 30mb...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Wow, it's good to see another release, there have been quite a few lately and this is a pretty big one. The timing is bad for me, though, and I don't know when I'll get a chance to play it. Probably by the end of the week.

Amazing work - "A Dream 2" was just a good map,but now it became really creepy and scary map with awesome ambience,a lot of scary and amazing moments(like Labyrinth with something chasing you) and dark atmosphere.Scariest Duke map ever made.
However,i can't say something like that about "A Dream 3" - it was mistake to give player a gun.Shooting ruined the atmosphere - in result we got just a zombie-shooting range in locations,where you can't see a shit.Anyway,at the end of the map you woke up and surprised me with another creepy moment and awesome ending.

Anyway,it's worth trying out - especially remade of "A Dream 2". Good work

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 07 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Mister Sinister!

Note for players: in the village on the second map you have to pick up the box and use it to help yourself.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Ah, I love the A.Dream maps, I have been meaning to play through those again, so I shall probably do that tomorrow.

A third map eh? I am looking forward to playing, I'll let you know what I think when I have played it.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

Hey, is there a way to play this with E-duke?.. I'm still new to running mods and stuff.

View PostNerdZilla, on Feb 7 2011, 08:31 PM, said:

Hey, is there a way to play this with E-duke?.. I'm still new to running mods and stuff.

Just unzip files in your eduke 32 folder and run a.dream.bat

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm stuck. :P I'm on the second level and recently the cave. I'm in the room with the crack in the wall and the blue access card. What do I do? I can't find anything in the maze downstairs. ;)

View PostRadar1013, on Feb 9 2011, 07:58 PM, said:

I'm stuck. :P I'm on the second level and recently the cave. I'm in the room with the crack in the wall and the blue access card. What do I do? I can't find anything in the maze downstairs. ;)

You have to find the pipebomb in the maze.

Just played and beat it VERY EXCELLENT! loved the atmosphere and i loved the game play and the puzzles. I especially loved the last part with the zombies ;).

Have you thought about making a survival horror mod?

View Poststaffcarguy, on Feb 12 2011, 11:47 AM, said:

Have you thought about making a survival horror mod?

No yet.

Not certain that playing this before going to sleep is the best idea, but I have played through nontheless.

The first couple of levels are as good as they were before, the new level is awesome too, but I can't seem to get past the part where the walls shake and the loud noise starts, I ran to the end, but there was nothing there but a white circle that I ran through... Nothing happens and it seems impossible to leave this area.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Nice ambiance and scripted sequences.

A little nitpicking:

The second map could really have used a story line for the player to follow since there wasn't much fighting action and based its game play on puzzle solving. I liked it, but I would have liked it more if there were more than a couple of notes to read. Highlights: being chased by that thing in the maze, and the sequence in the blue(?) locked building in town consisting of the baby crying audio and that weird ghost thing in the last room before the "blackout" and then leaving through the garage door.

The third map had a pretty cool scripted end. The map was generally alright, but it seemed like an extension of the second map, only with weaker puzzles. Fighting the zombies seemed a bit tedious and killing them could have been more enjoyable if they did more than just lay down and die. Replace the knife with an axe so the player can chop them up, or maybe when the player gets in a good head shot have them die instantly (splat brains on the walls when they do). (yea, I know that's too much to animate in, but I like the idea goring it up a bit).

Overall, well done, and an enjoyable experience.

User is offline   Hank 

Based on the reviews above; what I'm doing wrong? ;)

I jump down, hit the water, at this moment the mouse stops operating, and if I try to save the game, it will not get saved either. Any suggestions? I followed the instructions, and actually copied a fresh version of Atomic into a separate folder and filled it with the tripple map set only. Polymer is on and HRP is off. I play with an average laptop.

This post has been edited by Hank: 12 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

View PostHigh Treason, on Feb 12 2011, 07:18 PM, said:

Nothing happens and it seems impossible to leave this area.

That's pretty strange. Have you used cheats?

User is offline   MetHy 

Overall it's a decent mod. I liked the changes you made to the first 2 maps.

But a lot of the horror stuffs were too cliché and predictable. Especially in level 3.

Going from full Duke3D stuff to almost no Duke3D stuff at all at the end makes it feel not consistent. Maybe you did that on purpose since it's very common for horror to slowly bring the unknown into the known, but here it just didn't work for me.

Also the zombies lacked growns. Enemy sounds are important for two things: make it scary when you hear something you don't know before seeing it, and make it less unfair when you get a hit by a quiet zombie hidden in a dark corner of the room.

So overall, it's decent but it has no originality (which is a huge problem for a horror game since by definition something horrifying stops being horrifying when you are already used to it) and it's got some flaws.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

View Postzykov eddy, on Feb 13 2011, 08:36 AM, said:

That's pretty strange. Have you used cheats?

I think I used DNKROZ once because I died and I am too lazy to restart the level. I played through again on my workstation (I used my laptop before) and it worked fine - I really liked the ending - it is not unlikely that it was my laptop at fault.

Thanks for the quick review, MetHy.

View PostHigh Treason, on Feb 13 2011, 09:14 AM, said:

I think I used DNKROZ once because I died and I am too lazy to restart the level. I played through again on my workstation (I used my laptop before) and it worked fine - I really liked the ending - it is not unlikely that it was my laptop at fault.

Btw, I had the same bug once. I think that's because I used cheats too much and missed some of the scripts.

User is offline   CruX 

Never played any of the a.dream maps, so I checked this out. For the most part, I loved it, but there were some things that irked me.

Spoiler

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostEmericaSkater, on Feb 14 2011, 05:36 PM, said:

Another thing about the zombies; I took a look at their code. They're programmed well enough for the purpose they're supposed to serve, but they're also useractor enemies that (thus) have screwed up clipdist structs, so they get hung on the level geometry pretty easily. This makes them relatively easy to kill, since all I'd have to do was have them follow me to a doorway, where they would reliably get stuck, and I could just gun them down from a safe distance.

That's true. I even had a problem with one that remained stuck behind a door in a small room: the problem was that HE could hit me through the door and I coulnd't, and since the room was small I had to get hit to kill him.

Question.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 21 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

View Postwayskobfssae, on Feb 21 2011, 10:11 PM, said:

Question.
Spoiler

If you found it on the first map, don't mind about it.

User is offline   Shawneth 

View Postwayskobfssae, on Feb 21 2011, 10:11 PM, said:

Question.
Spoiler

I remember playing the first map a long time ago (when it was stand-alone) and I remember reading the note. So maybe try playing the original version.

The first two maps were great. Third map weren't as good. Did not like the zombies and the new weapons...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I couldn't find any explosive weapons to use on the crack in the town in the second map to get the keycard so I had to use dnweapons there. Is there something I missed?

User is offline   CruX 

Yeah, you have to pick up the boxes and drag them over to another building to climb up onto the roof.

I was wondering why the zombie AI seemed so off with that. Another thing I probably would've done would be weaker enemies in favor of having more attacking at once (once they learn how to navigate doorways properly that is). A couple of tough ones is fine, but I much would've rathered the classic wall-to-wall zombie feeling. Attacking the weaker ones was very repetitive and the "slash - swing - slash - swing" pattern was very redundant. Probably would've helped if they had some vocal. After getting the tar scared out of me by all the ghost stuff, it seemed kinda a letdown.

User is offline   NNC 

First map is still my favourite. That one has a perfect mix of Duke 3D and horror theme. You removed those big black pits from the supermarket, which wasn't a good idea. They were neccessary for the perfect ambience. You also removed the typewriter thing from one of the horror houses.

Second map... I don't know. Some brilliant ideas, but also some tedious puzzles. That ghost thing at the end is creepy, and went a bit too far with it.

Third map... the ending is pure fantastic. But the map itself, I don't know... it's not that ambitious. Why did you add new weapons and items instead of the original ones? It's like I played a different game. Those zombies were annoying and looked ugly.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostNancsi, on Feb 26 2011, 02:30 AM, said:

You removed those big black pits from the supermarket, which wasn't a good idea.

I thought they were completely random.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options