Duke4.net Forums: Bigger on the inside, than the outside - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bigger on the inside, than the outside

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Is it possible to create something similar to the TARDIS from Doctor Who in Duke? The idea being to have a small box you could walk around, and on the inside you have a huge universe. Obviously this is something akin to Portals, but im asking if its something you could pull off with simple sector manipulation?

Maybe it is. If you think about the trick in E2L11, then maybe that could do the job. I think there are several other methods that could work here.

Also, how are you supposed to get into the box? Is it big enough to walk into?

This post has been edited by Jhect: 03 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

• Judge Mental

Its basically supposed to be just like the TARDIS, so its about the size of a police box.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pAJWGb8L_MU

gonna try some things before i can say anything, im not the best mapper xD

There is no reason why this would not work, You just need to have a white sector somewhere (invalid space inside it) and make a sector move into it via points from the walls, just make that sector larger than the box.

You will probably get some minor drawing problems though if you are not careful. I can go into further detail on how it is done if you want.

• Judge Mental

View PostHigh Treason, on Feb 3 2011, 04:14 AM, said:

There is no reason why this would not work, You just need to have a white sector somewhere (invalid space inside it) and make a sector move into it via points from the walls, just make that sector larger than the box.

You will probably get some minor drawing problems though if you are not careful. I can go into further detail on how it is done if you want.

I would very much appreciate it if you could!

As I said, you will get draw problems if you leave a lot of space around the entrance, but you can probably make it cramped at the entrance and open behind the box which would make it less noticable.

Start by creating a white sector inside the level and then make a small sector inside it like the one in the middle here, ow, you should probably have some points on that inner most sector like mine;
Posted Image

Drag the points to wherever you want the extremeties of the "Tardis" to be;
Posted ImagePosted Image

Now, you can customise the inner sector as much as you want, you should have a working "Tardis" effect, though outside of Polymer it might suffer drawing problems at times, to reduce this effect, make it so there is not much room around the entrance and try splitting sectors a lot;
Posted Image

Looking back, you could even run a corridor to where the entrance is, making it harder for the player to see both areas at once which is what will cause drawing problems as the system does not know how to draw two spaces occupying the same space at the same time.

Enjoy your paradox machine! Or reverse engineer my shoddy example (Here)

This post has been edited by High Treason: 03 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

• Judge Mental

Ah! Thank you my good man! That is excellent.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

I like that show. I've seen every episode. I was just thinking of making a TARDIS and working Stargate. I know it's possible. So just keep working on it. I'm looking forward to your results.

Thats a good project your working on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options