Duke4.net Forums: New Episode coming - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Episode coming

In 1998, I began work on a Duke Nukem 3D episode that featured 10 new levels, 2 secret levels, new art, sounds and music. After completing 2 maps, and nearing 90% completion on 3 others, my hard drive failed. Only one map survived, and the sounds, music and art were also gone forever. Depressed, I released the only remaining map into the ether, even though it was not nearly as finished as it should have been. Now, thanks to Archive.org's Wayback Machine, I've found the original website. Although the images have been removed, the map names and completion ratios have given me a terrific jumping off point to resurrect the project. And so, I humbly announce (again) a new episode for Duke Nukem 3D: "Duke Takes A Holiday!"

"Duke Takes A Holiday" takes place in a time when the Aliens have been integrated into our society. An uneasy truce has been called, and life on Earth has been stable for a few years. However, Military Intelligence has uncovered rumors of a secret faction of aliens who are uncomfortable with the current political climate, and who wish to take matters into their own hands. Their plan: to pull off a complete take over of the planet and its people using science, weapons and religion.

I hope you guys dig it! More info (and screen shots) can be found HERE.

Eye candy: Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by SpiderFighter: 28 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The design is basic by contemporary user map standards, but it looks pretty good nonetheless. The community could sure use some new maps right now; there aren't many projects in the works and most of them seem to be stalled.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 28 2011, 12:35 PM, said:

The design is basic by contemporary user map standards, but it looks pretty good nonetheless. The community could sure use some new maps right now; there aren't many projects in the works and most of them seem to be stalled.

Thanks for the input and compliment! I'm an old-school gamer, so I'm not trying to push the limits of the engine; just provide some solid action and atmosphere. Hell, I still play Doom 2 and Final Doom. :( The potential problem some people may run into is that the levels were all designed back in the late 90's, so it'll definitely have a retro feel (as I really have no idea what's been done since then). That works for me though. :D

User is offline   Scott_AW 

I can relate to harddrive taking away all your hard work, I've lost several projects because of that. Of course I couldn't afford a burner and it was before the age of USB sticks and SD cards.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I suggest that instead of waiting until the whole thing is finished before releasing any of it, that you release the maps individually as you finish them. Then you do a full episode release after the individual map releases.

Why? Several reasons. First, because it is very rare that people actually finish whole episodes, and releasing the maps one at a time makes it more likely that we players will actually get to play something. Second, you will get feedback along the way that will help you improve your maps (it's also a good idea to have at least one beta tester before releasing anything). Third, a series of releases will keep the project in people's awareness and will get the project a lot more attention than one big release.

I know there are some downsides to that approach. The maps may play better in episode format than individually, and there won't be any surprises for people who have already played the maps when it is finished. But imo the pros outweigh the cons. EDIT: Of course it would be different if you were making a mod or a TC, but I am assuming you are making vanilla maps as pictured in the screenshots.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 28 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

I like the screenshots. They keep the retro feeling. Some mappers tend to fill in sprites to make it looks more realistic, but they forget that this is an old game and that the game has a feeling that needs to be in the maps.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

A bit too basic but still that's a good place to start as several things (the ceiling structure in the first shot for example) indicate you're capable of paying attention to details.

Btw, if you follow DT's advice (although if the levels are short or medium you may be better off releasing two at a time rather than just one), you're better equipped to focus on adding more details.

User is offline   MetHy 

Those screenshots look promising.

View PostSpiderFighter, on Jan 28 2011, 06:55 PM, said:

(as I really have no idea what's been done since then).

You should go on www.dukerepository.com and play some of the maps there. It will probably even inspire you for from episode.

User is offline   Hank 

@ SpiderFighter - Wow! Yep, that looks old school. You wrote about new actors and art work, so it is more than just a set of maps. You could issue a map or two as alpha, to see how it interacts with the fans, and finish your project in 3/3s. One episode with three maps, instead of 1/10. Also, if you have not done so, check out AMC, it is a good Duke mappers hanging out. - Have fun, and all the best :(

Wow! Great come on and see all the support. Thanks guys. Long post ahead as I respond to all your points. :(

I suppose I could release them one at a time, but then I probably would never finish the episode because I wouldn't be pushing to get it done, just whatever maps I'm working on at that time. The only problem with releasing them one at a time is that I take breaks from mapping by working on other maps. Meaning, I'm always working on 4 or 5 maps simultaneously, so releases would be slow at first with several maps coming out in rapid succession anyway. It's certainly something I'll think about, although some maps would work better in an individual format than others.

Yeah, losing everything sucked, Scott...but at least I was only making maps and not an engine! :D But some of you are right; if I had released them individually back then, they wouldn't be gone forever.

As far as the design goes, that's completely subjective; one man's “retro” is another man's “basic.” I've always felt that not every area in a map needs to contain 100+ sectors and be jammed with sprites. Look at the Doom games: There's nothing in those levels; yet they're tense and eerie; it's all about the game play and less about the scenery. I design by exception. If an area needs to have detail, I'll do that, but if I find myself adding things just for the sake of adding them, then I'll stop and ask if it's really needed there. I always try to have something interesting in each area though, whether it's structural, architectural, tons o' sprites, or atmospheric shading.

And speaking of detailing, the episode had new art, but not actors. The main thing I wanted to do was make sure there was a lot of humor and cultural references in it, because I felt those were missing from a lot of the maps back in the day (because it's difficult to do in an individual map). For example, I had a map that was a laboratory where aliens were conducting experiments on other aliens. In it was a room that was a complete homage to the movie “Contact” so there was some art in there that reflected that, plus the sound that the aliens made. I also had some “Men In Black” references in that level too, as I recall. Stuff like that. Just little things that made the 3D Realms fun, and that were appropriate to the theme of a particular level.

And finally, thanks for the links, Met and Hank! I had actually already gone to the repository yesterday and downloaded a pack that contained a “Museum” map that combined sectors from various level designers. Wow. Amazing some of the things people have done with it since I last played. Very intimidating...and a bit depressing, as some of the things in there I had already implemented in my own maps, but now will probably be accused of copying (a corridor made of glass comes to mind). Not sure what I'll do about that yet.

I remember Alejandro! Great to see him still in the scene.

Thanks again guys! I would definitely appreciate some beta testers, btw. The first map I have about 99% done, but it takes me a half hour to go through it checking everything and it definitely gets tedious. :D

Just checked out AMC and got "Sorry, registration is currently disabled. " Bummer. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostSpiderFighter, on Jan 29 2011, 12:56 PM, said:

as some of the things in there I had already implemented in my own maps, but now will probably be accused of copying (a corridor made of glass comes to mind). Not sure what I'll do about that yet.

I say do not worry about any of this.

We did have some trouble in the community a few years back because of some mapper who complained about others supposedly ripping him off. Even though the debate was a bit strong when it happened, the consensus, especially now after all this time, was that such things don't really matter, even though he was PARTIALLY right.

View PostMetHy, on Jan 30 2011, 02:03 PM, said:

I say do not worry about any of this.

We did have some trouble in the community a few years back because of some mapper who complained about others supposedly ripping him off. Even though the debate was a bit strong when it happened, the consensus, especially now after all this time, was that such things don't really matter, even though he was PARTIALLY right.

Thanks, Met. And may I just say:

...your icon is really creeping me out.

User is offline   Shawneth 

Do you plan to make a second episode? That would be awesome!

View Postoporix, on Jan 30 2011, 07:14 PM, said:

Do you plan to make a second episode? That would be awesome!

lol...I have to get the first one done before I can think about a second! :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options