Duke4.net Forums: SE32 with Lights? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SE32 with Lights?

Hi all! I'm new to the boards and an old-timey Duke map creator. I'm just getting back into the scene and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to add a lighting effect to SE32? What I'm trying to do is to get some light to enter a room when the wall slides up, similar to how a SE with a Lotag of 8 works when a door opens. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? I'm asking because it may be possible to simply use a ceiling door and use the SE 8 that way.

View PostMicky C, on Jan 25 2011, 05:59 AM, said:

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? I'm asking because it may be possible to simply use a ceiling door and use the SE 8 that way.

Thanks for replying! :(

I have a room that is darkened. Upon entering, a touchplate raises a wall section, exposing the corridor beyond. The player actually enters through a door (the wall is to the player's right), and I already have the door set to brighten the room while the it's open, using an SE 8 (although the side of the door facing the darkened room is still bright. Argh. It's been 10 years since I've worked on maps, and I definitely feel it). The thing is, once that wall has been raised via the touchplate (using an SE 32), it needs to remain open.

I hope that makes sense...if not, let me know and I'll link a pic. Thanks!

This post has been edited by SpiderFighter: 25 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

• Honored Donor

What I've interpreted that as is that you open a door to a room and the room brightens, but the door has an autoclose SE so the room goes dark again, and when you enter a wall to the right moves up revealing another room and brightens the room again?

Or is the problem that you want the wall to stay up? Because there are two ways you can do this:
1. Give the touchplate only one activation so once it's used it goes dormant and stops working.
2. I can't remember which sprite it is, but one of them that you use with a ceiling door can be set to "open only" so that it won't close.

Look it up in the mapper's holy bible: http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Right, I already have the working door as you described, so we're on the same page there. As for the wall, I have that working exactly as I want it as well, but I'd like it to light the room back up when it opens (there are light sources in the corridor beyond it. Since I have the room brightening and darkening in relation to the door, it's glaringly obvious when the wall then opens and the room stays dark).

The door is player controlled only, and brightens the room as it opens, and darkens as it closes.
The wall opens once (via touchplate once the player enters the room) and stays open for all eternity. I just need it to brighten the room as well, and I can't seem to find a way around this.
Oh, and I didn't mention this earlier, but the brightened areas of the room do NOT overlap. Meaning, the wall will throw light into the room only so far, and will not affect those sectors that are being brightened/dimmed by the door.

I appreciate you knocking it around, so thanks again! :(

• Honored Donor

You'll find the people around here are very willing to help out newcomers (or old comers) as they get to learn mapping, after all we have a whole forum for that sort of thing.

Unfortunately there's no way to activate lights via touchplate directly, but if you post up the section of the map you're referring to I'd like to play around with it a bit and see if I can achieve something along the lines of what you want, unless you're not willing to let anyone see your map until it's finished.

View PostMicky C, on Jan 25 2011, 06:31 PM, said:

You'll find the people around here are very willing to help out newcomers (or old comers) as they get to learn mapping, after all we have a whole forum for that sort of thing.

Unfortunately there's no way to activate lights via touchplate directly, but if you post up the section of the map you're referring to I'd like to play around with it a bit and see if I can achieve something along the lines of what you want, unless you're not willing to let anyone see your map until it's finished.

No worries...it's actually a map that I released about 11 years ago...It was part of an episode I was creating that fell victim to a hard drive failure (I lost several completed maps, original art, sound, midis...needless to say, I back up files now:P ). This is the only map that survived, and I released it in working order, but probably not as polished as it should have been.. I'm starting the project over and making some improvements to this map for starters. It's nearly completed now, just have a couple of things to tweak. Fortunately, thanks to Archive.com and the Wayback Machine, I found a bare bones copy of my old website (no pics though, sadly). It listed all the episode names, and the percentage of completion, so that's helped me remember a bit. The actual designing is coming back faster than I thought it would. Muscle memory, I guess. :(

I'll upload the section probably tomorrow...just on my way out the door to pick my wife up from work.

Thanks again, and it's great meeting you!
-John

EDIT: I tried to upload it but the forum Robocop blocked me, so I sent it to your email. The room in question is the dark room with the health kit. I have no problem if you want to post it for anyone else to peruse. Cheers!

This post has been edited by SpiderFighter: 26 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

• Honored Donor

Ok I looked at the map and like I mentioned it was only a matter of making the raising wall into a ceiling door. I've attached the fixed map below and you can make adjustments as you feel neccissary, I hope the problem was fixed in a satisfactory way.

Edit: oh and the likely reason why you couldn't upload your map is because the forum only allows certain types of files to be attached. An easy way around this is to put the map file or whatever you want to upload in a .zip file.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

View PostMicky C, on Jan 27 2011, 09:17 PM, said:

Ok I looked at the map and like I mentioned it was only a matter of making the raising wall into a ceiling door. I've attached the fixed map below and you can make adjustments as you feel neccissary, I hope the problem was fixed in a satisfactory way.

Edit: oh and the likely reason why you couldn't upload your map is because the forum only allows certain types of files to be attached. An easy way around this is to put the map file or whatever you want to upload in a .zip file.

Thanks for the Zip Tip. :(

Hmmm...I see what you mean, but the effect is pretty artificial due to the slower speed of the wall. Instead, I've darkened the corridor on the other side a bit, so that the only light source is at the top of the stairs. Thanks for your patience. :D

• Honored Donor

It sounds like you've solved the problem so you don't have to bother replying if this doesn't help, but the speed of the wall in the map I uploaded can easily be changed using the 'speed' sprite I put in the door sector. It's either the lotag or hitag, I can't remember, the one with the number in it when you look at it. A higher value means more speed. The only thing I don't like about the effect is that it makes the ceiling brighten up as well, which looks really dodgy in that situation, and I'm not sure how to stop that from occuring.

View PostMicky C, on Jan 28 2011, 07:48 AM, said:

It sounds like you've solved the problem so you don't have to bother replying if this doesn't help, but the speed of the wall in the map I uploaded can easily be changed using the 'speed' sprite I put in the door sector. It's either the lotag or hitag, I can't remember, the one with the number in it when you look at it. A higher value means more speed. The only thing I don't like about the effect is that it makes the ceiling brighten up as well, which looks really dodgy in that situation, and I'm not sure how to stop that from occuring.

Dodgy is the right word! lol
True, I could increase the speed the wall raises, but I'd then have to change all of them throughout the map (there are a few). And I think the speed it's at now gives the illusion that it's heavy, which feels more realistic to me.

Meh...I can't seem to get that other side of the door from showing bright at all times, so I may just reset the $@#! room to where it was before and call it a day! :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options