Duke4.net Forums: Dnf Too Advanced? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dnf Too Advanced?

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

I was looking at those new amazing DNF screenshots i thought that DNF would need very very good spec thinking of like 3.4 ghz 512 mb of video ram 2 gb of ram and such as a minimum system requirements so what do you think?

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

I think you're exaggerating :)

User is offline   Nihilanth 

I don't know, this is ridiculous. Why are people ALWAYS so freaking out when it comes to min specs? With every single game it's the same thing - people see cool graphics and they are right away scared as hell that it'll require high-end machine. Come on! Nobody will release a game with such a reqs that an average gamer with low-end machine won't be able to play!

Multi-core support is in and quite nice. We all run Core Duo 6600's and 7950/8800, ati 1900 level cards.

Multi-core is the future and the game is pretty much going to require it. You really have to, to make a game competitive with modern consoles, or beyond. One cpu isn't enough anymore.

64 bit will come, but is lower priorty. Vista/64 bit isn't a priority for us at the moment.

Question:

what sort of video cards/memory amounts are playable at the moment?

Answer:

IMO, something like a 7950 is the base for a video card. For high end action games, 2 gigs is always better than 1 gig.

Question(unrelated to DNF part of the general shacknews discussion and not directed at George specifically):

Will I see a nice improvement from my 128mb 6600 to a 256mb 6800GT?

George's answer:

Seriously...save more money and go higher. A 6800 is really not very powerful, today.

Follow up comment by George:

I would not buy less than a 7950, today.

Follow up comment by shacker:

^^ DNF requires at least a 7950 to run!!

Follow up remark by George:

Push it to the limit.

Comment by Scott from the Yougamers interview:

Scott: Our general approach is a common one, I think: We try to support all of the newer, cool whiz-bang graphics features, but at the same time we try to make it so the game will run on middle-range machines, too.

That is the newest piece of info we have, make of it what you will.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

i think i should start saving for computer upgrades then

User is offline   Dukefan24 

I just hope they will bring us an Xbox360 version, that way I can play the game at maximum graphics and HD support without the need of expansive PC hardware..

Who says the Xbox 360 version will have max graphics?

User is offline   Dukefan24 

It hasn't. But at least it looks like 'maximum' graphics. It will sure look much better than what my 2 year old PC can produce from it, that's for sure.

Dont forget Doom 3. That game was murder on PC's when it was released. Who knows, DNF may be the same.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

3DR have a good understanding of Optimizing thier games...

See Prey, which ran on the Doom 3 engine... It actually looked better, and RAN better too (i knowm i tested it :))

I'm most certain that DNF will run better than it looks like...

View PostMicki!, on Jul 7 2007, 12:56 PM, said:

3DR have a good understanding of Optimizing thier games...

So does id. They're one of the best, if not the best, from the industry in that regard.

View PostMicki!, on Jul 7 2007, 12:56 PM, said:

See Prey, which ran on the Doom 3 engine... It actually looked better, and RAN better too (i knowm i tested it :))

For me it's the other way round B)

User is offline   Micki! 

Other way around for you..? that's horrible :)
It runs better here... Not much, but it's notable

But of course you're right, id Software also does a GREAT job optimizing thier games as well...

All this talk makes me want to see a game by id and 3DR/Apogee again...
A Commander Keen sequel, haha B)

User is offline   oakman 

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jun 29 2007, 06:44 PM, said:

Question:
Answer:
Question(unrelated to DNF part of the general shacknews discussion and not directed at George specifically):
George's answer:
Follow up comment by George:
Follow up comment by shacker:
Follow up remark by George:
Comment by Scott from the Yougamers interview:
That is the newest piece of info we have, make of it what you will.

Thanks buddy! :)
"ibuypower, I NEED to change my rig!!"
-Me going to ibuypower.com

User is offline   Lead 

If I had to guess I'd just figure that since the rendering engine has been locked down for about a year now that they are probably playing the game on the best hardware thats available right now. So if thats playable for them, then by the time DNF is out it should be more affordable to upgrade to what the game requires.

Thing is though that I'm intending\planning on DNF having a very long play life for me, so even if I can't play it with all features on max when I get it, I'll at least be able to eventually upgrade to that.

Although at the moment I have the Geforce 6800 card George mentioned and my AMD 4000+ is only single core. So I'll have to switch those out.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

considering my specs are so low it doesnt matter (1150mhz 512mb or ram 32mb video card 80gbhd) im 13 years old so i cant exactly buy new parts or a new computer
/me starts saving
(edited pecs to specs)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View Postzchri9, on Oct 19 2007, 04:36 PM, said:

considering my pecs are so low

*Girly giggle* pecs *girly giggle*

They say don't upgrade until you hear the specs from them. I am comfortable with my system, even though I am half a generation/series below what George mentions (the 7950, I have a 7600). I can run most newer games fairly well at reasonable quality.
All in all the graphics are almost low priority for me. I would much rather play a mediocre graphics game with awesome gameplay and story then a pretty game that last a few hours and I only can make myself play once.
Like many things, it is better to have length and quality than shiny and brief.

User is offline   Micki! 

There are games that are shiny and lenghty as well though...

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Personally, I wouldn't get anything under an 8800 at this point.

So I'd go with dual core, 2 gig ram and a 8800 640mb.

If you want to future proof go:

quad core, 4 gig ram and 8800 768mb

User is offline   trackit 

View Postkaisersoze, on Oct 20 2007, 02:30 PM, said:

If you want to future proof go:

quad core, 4 gig ram and 8800 768mb

And it will still be way outdated by the time DNF comes out! So dont upgrade until DNF is actually out!

User is offline   rockmx8 

Well I'm getting it for XBOX 360 when God willing DNF releases, as for the PC version good luck upgrading it in time when they announce the requirements. However if you ask me, buy a 360 and the game, to play it fast and easy.

User is offline   Lead 

They said they locked down the rendering engine, so I'm assuming that would mean that whatever they have or are going to have they have running on todays hardware. So whatever is near the best now should be capable.

On upgrading specifically for DNF, I'd say maybe wait to be sure, but mostly just to save money because what you need will be cheaper then than it is now.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

If it's running on a 360, just how much more advanced than today's games can it be?

User is offline   Micki! 

Toned down for console limitations, or greatly ported and optimized are the magic words... :)

Well, or something third... 3DR knows we want something big afterall

• Honored Donor

I'd love to believe that there's the "console" version, and then there's the "super-advanced/bring your PC to it's knees/console couldn't dream of running" version for the PC.

But I don't.

"greatly ported" is a rather sickening phrase, btw. :)

crunchysuperman, you have to remember that the Xbox 360(or for that matter PS3) are closed systems with fixed specs, so they can optimize much better for that than they can for PC with a wide range of hardware, both in terms of raw hardware, brands and what not(like driver versions).

Think about it 3 x 3.2 Ghz dual core CPU's plus a rather high end DX9 GPU with certain DX10 capabilities like Geometry Shaders. All of that in a fixed system where the hardware never changes and every single unit has got INDENTICAL hardware with IDENTICAL specs.

Neither the PS3 nor Xbox 360 are holding back gaming now, by FAR.

• Honored Donor

^ Yeah, I know - that's my point. As far as taking advantage of available console muscle, DNF for the 360 can't really be much more advanced than games of today.

User is offline   Danule 

for some reason console graphics aren't really wowing me, especially when i saw halo 3. so i hope that the pc version of duke forever will have higher rez textures and better lighting. :)

User is offline   rockmx8 

It will come out on XBOX 360 and the P.C. First. Then the PS3 and that's it. All 3 will be fine choices, the game will be able to go onto them since they're next generation systems. However it will be better on the P.C. I agree, still I'd rather get it for the 360 as that is George's favorite system right now.

Most likely it will come out on the 360 since Prey did as well, DNF WILL ROCK US BEYOND ANYTHING WE'VE SEEN PERIOD!! ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!!

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

as long as i can run it on the lowest resolution on my current rig im fine
ive been playing prey on my current rig on the lowest resolution runs fine :)
My specs-AMD Athlon XP 1150mhz
512 MB of SD-RAM
80GB HDD
256MB Nvidia Geforce 6200

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View Postrockmx8, on Nov 30 2007, 06:49 PM, said:

It will come out on XBOX 360 and the P.C. First. Then the PS3

And you state these as facts because?....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options