Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Desert Storm - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Desert Storm

Poll: [Release] Desert Storm (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Your rating?

1. Perfect (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Great (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Loke 

I actually released this a few weeks back but forgot to post it here. EDuke32 is required since the map is using the extra wall/sector/sprite limit that's not present in the original DOS version. Also 8-bit is recommended since it was designed with this mode in mind. HRP is unsupported.

Link

This post has been edited by Loke: 05 November 2011 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLoke, on Jan 16 2011, 07:01 AM, said:

HRP is unsupported.

You mean it was untested with the HRP. In fact, it looks great with the Polymer HRP, with almost no glitches. And the frame rate is better than with maps actually designed for Polymer, since you don't have lights all over the place.

It should also be pointed out that the CONs you include with the map are not needed if the map is played with DukePlus or any other mod that already has the minibosses feature.

User is offline   Scott_AW 

I think its look pretty nice from the screenshots, I'll have to try it out.

Hey loke.

It was a pretty fun map.

You had some really good detailing in the hallsways. I also really liked the mountain area of the level.

Only one thing that i didn't like. The commanders behind the doors in the small hallways were just awfully annoying xD It it really hard to predict when the commander will shoot a rocket with the hrp on. And they are very hard to dodge. The hitradius from the rocket made it nearly impossible xD

Also how much life did those minibosses have at the end of the level. They died really fast o.O

User is offline   Loke 

View PostJhect, on Jan 16 2011, 11:08 PM, said:

Also how much life did those minibosses have at the end of the level. They died really fast o.O

1000HP - as much as the mini-battlelords.

o.O then they must have lost life because i only shot them with 2 devastator rockets xD

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJhect, on Jan 16 2011, 02:24 PM, said:

o.O then they must have lost life because i only shot them with 2 devastator rockets xD

You need to either use the CONs that came with the map, or use DukePlus. Otherwise, the minibosses don't work right.

Yes i used the CONS that came with the map. But if i didn't use those CON files, wouldn't they be real episode bosses with much more life? I don't know how the CON works in this case. My guess is that he changed them to pal 21 and then they automaticly becomes minibosses. With the normal CON files, the bosses doesn't change when you give them pal 21 right?

@Jhect; They become mini-bosses, but they die with one hit from any weapon, you can quite literally kick their ass!

@Loke; Nice map, I played it quite a while back, can't say I was over enthusiastic at first, but I generally don't like deserts/canyons, however, once I got to the base things picked up quite nicely, detail was good and I can't say I had any issues, except I was too stupid to figure out how to get to that switch so I used an old, well known exploit to hit it instead. Anyhow, certainly not a noob map eh? :P

Well this is pretty clever. People who like canyon maps will like this map. And people who doesn't will like this map. Just great xD

But high treason they are not supposed to die in one hit right? A devastator rocket certainly doesn't deal 1000 damage :S

User is offline   Shawneth 

@Jhect

He means this; Vanilla Duke makes The overlord and Cycloid bosses 1 shot kill if you're using the mini-boss pals because the programmers never wanted to add them, but if you use the CON files made by users, it fixes this problem. So really, it wasn't his idea for that.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Another thread with less than 500 views, this maps rocks!!!!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I agree, I played this map a month or so ago when browsing the hot maps section on MSDN, and it was surprisingly good. It's always nice to remind mappers that their work isn't forgotten after a few weeks.

User is offline   Loke 

Thanks peps, don't worry if you think it went largely unnoticed since I had a load of response over at DNR. Also added a poll for the lulz.

User is offline   Gambini 

It´s been a long while since I played this (almost a year) but i remember it looked and played almost perfectly except by the scarce ammo and health. Would not give the "perfect" rating to anything made yet, so voted "great" but it is more close to perfect than to great.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

When you think about it, the response to user maps such as this one here compared to DNR shows how little of a focus the community at Duke4.net has on user maps, and this forum will never be the true hub of all things Duke (particularly duke3d) as long as that's the case.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 05 November 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

When you think about it, the response to user maps such as this one here compared to DNR shows how little of a focus the community at Duke4.net has on user maps, and this forum will never be the true hub of all things Duke (particularly duke3d) as long as that's the case.

rather interesting set of circumstances. The amount of traffic discussing What are you working on/Maps/Projects is much higher here than at DNR, but the volume of responses to the finished projects is flipped.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostForge, on 06 November 2011 - 04:34 AM, said:

What are you working on/Maps/Projects is much higher here than at DNR, but the volume of responses to the finished projects is flipped.

That depends on who you're asking. CrackDown hardly got any reception on DNR at all (though Merlijn was kind enough to offer some praise for it, and Puritan hosted it on another site).

But anywho, Desert Storm's awesome. I play it once or twice a month and anytime I'm brainstorming for another level just so I never forget how I a high-tech level is supposed to look :D

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostEmericaSkater, on 06 November 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

That depends on who you're asking. CrackDown hardly got any reception on DNR at all (though Merlijn was kind enough to offer some praise for it, and Puritan hosted it on another site).

there's always exceptions, especially lately with the DNR forum software severely outdated

sometimes it depends on the ratio taken into account.

example Imperium:

DNR: views = 1279/replies = 63
Duke4: views = 7113/replies = 106

DNR has a better reply to view ratio

• Duke Plus Developer

I wonder how many of those views are actual human beings, though.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostForge, on 06 November 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

there's always exceptions, especially lately with the DNR forum software severely outdated

sometimes it depends on the ratio taken into account.

example Imperium:

DNR: views = 1279/replies = 63
Duke4: views = 7113/replies = 106

DNR has a better reply to view ratio

There's nothing shocking there; all that says is that it got 6x the exposure here but most of that exposure was to people who either didn't particularly care or didn't have anything worthwhile to add. This is not surprising as Duke4 covers a much larger range of topics than DNR. What is interesting is that the people who did decide to post in the thread about it here still numbered a bit under twice of those on DNR, even though DNR is a forum pretty much dedicated to such posts.

My theory personally is that since a lot of the people on DNR are the same people that are here, they end up posting map comments on DNR (even though the domain will probably expire again and the site will probably just die :D) out of habit and don't see the need to post comments on the same map here as they've already said what they felt like saying over there.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm not convinced that the vast majority of downloads and hits to DN-R aren't bots - the forums get infested with them (I've been banned because Puritan did a ip ban of a range that hits me) if you check the number of downloads of certain files on the front page it doesn't make any real sense. There's no way NS still gets several dozen downloads a day especially since it's pretty broken with new releases (and law of averages said it 5000 people really DID download it from DNR at least one of them would of sent me an e-mail about it something - that's 5 times more downloads than IW got)

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I played this a while ago and was pleased with the execution of what I otherwise consider a not terribly original theme: there were places where I'd stop and think "hmm, this hasn't been done before". Also, I liked how exploration of side-paths was rewarded with weapons and goodies, so it didn't feel like you were outnumbered at all. HRP and Polymer looked perfectly fine, too.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostHelixhorned, on 27 November 2011 - 04:17 AM, said:

Also, I liked how exploration of side-paths was rewarded with weapons and goodies, so it didn't feel like you were outnumbered at all.

Yeah, that was something I had in mind when I started working on the map. Unreal was also a big source of inspiration when it came to that since that game greatly rewarded the player for carefully exploring the maps and such. Also, as you said, exploring these paths rewarded the player with goodies when I otherwise kept items and weapons fairly scarce since I wanted to give players a challenge. The initial release was a lot harder however the end results left a lot to be desired since the majority of players had issues regarding the lack of ammo so I eventually balanced it and added more stuff around the map that didn't require much exploration.

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options