Duke4.net Forums: What is your religion / belief / philosphy etc? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is your religion / belief / philosphy etc?  "Whats urs?"

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Well I'm an individualist. I believe in my own personal faith.
Does have root with Buddhism etc.
Will take 9045904 lines to explain it :P

Its biocentric I care about all life. :P

User is offline   Hank 

Religion (as per Cambridge; Informal) – C++
Belief (a truth) – Dead enemies assures a good night sleep.
Philosophy (Motto) – Cash is King

What is this, Destiny two? How the hell can anyone write 9 million lines of real thought? 9000000/60*26*365 = 17 years, writing one line per minute non-stop, this would make you like 83 or there abouts.

I should not post anymore, but this is harder to quit than smoking. :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

See my post in the other thread.

View PostHank, on Jan 5 2011, 08:45 AM, said:

What is this, Destiny two? How the hell can anyone write 9 million lines of real thought? 9000000/60*26*365 = 17 years, writing one line per minute non-stop, this would make you like 83 or there abouts.

He's real, and he's just using hyperbole.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Religion: None. You could label me as an Agnostic Atheist. I don't know if there is a God, I do not believe in him, but I realise it is certainly possible.

Belief: You should try to be yourself, whatever you are. Do not waver. We don't have time for bullshit, life goes on. Dudeism inspires my thought a lot, and I commonly ponder upon the thoughts of George Carlin, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, and Mojo Nixon, among others.

Philosophy: Life is uncertainty, almost everything is possible.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 06 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I was raised Catholic and I have taken it as my own over time. The reasons are a very long story unfolded in various posts, talks, articles, and blogs I have written over the years.

As far as philosophy goes, I'm pretty much a fan of the ancient wisdom teachers. Socrates said that he knew nothing; the Oracle at Delphi instructs to know yourself and nothing in excess. I follow those principles. In a sense, I'm kind of a neo-stoic or something. The benefits of a classical education.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 6 2011, 03:44 PM, said:

Religion: None. You could label me as an Agnostic Atheist. I don't know if there is a God, I do not believe in him, but I realise it is certainly possible.

Belief: You should try to be yourself, whatever you are. Do not waver. We don't have time for bullshit, life goes on. Dudeism inspires my thought a lot, and I commonly ponder upon the thoughts of George Carlin, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, and Mojo Nixon, among others.

Philosophy: Life is uncertainty, almost everything is possible.

basically what he said, except people i think people truely don't know whats going to happen in afterlife or even the future.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Since January, I've also pondered some more. Me thinks that the most likely god is similar to the belief of Deism, my bets are either no god or some sort of Deist type of god.

User is offline   Jezza 

I would say Monotheistic. I'm raised a methodist, but some people have said my beliefs are closer to core Islam (although I drink, leer at girls and eat 'unclean' animals)

User is offline   hath80 

I would say Monotheistic.

• I have the power!

I hate to necropost...but I feel like sharing my rage:
I wrote a review of a book titled When Catholics Die...needless to say, the review is a scathing assault on Christian Fundamentalism.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 16 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd read that if I were going to read the book in question, but I don't really have the time or motivation to do that..

Since I haven't posted in this thread before I might as well do it now: I'm Agnostic, and I don't know if this applies to all agnostics but I don't follow any religion, although I believe that there could be some kind of higher power, and I'd like to believe that we're here for a reason. Think about it, if there really was a god, our methods of worshiping him/her are entirely man-made and in all likelihood not what the god wants. I also go to an anglican school so we're forced to endure hymns and prayers and thing several times a week Posted Image

I also often think about what happens after we die assuming there's no afterlife. Does our consciousness just fade away? I always come to the conclusion that I'll find out when I actually die so that's something to look forward to about death :dukegoof: It's quite exciting actually.

View PostMicky C, on 16 April 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

I'd read that if I were going to read the book in question, but I don't really have the time or motivation to do that..

Since I haven't posted in this thread before I might as well do it now: I'm Agnostic, and I don't know if this applies to all agnostics but I don't follow any religion, although I believe that there could be some kind of higher power, and I'd like to believe that we're here for a reason. Think about it, if there really was a god, our methods of worshiping him/her are entirely man-made and in all likelihood not what the god wants. I also go to an anglican school so we're forced to endure hymns and prayers and thing several times a week Posted Image

I also often think about what happens after we die assuming there's no afterlife. Does our consciousness just fade away? I always come to the conclusion that I'll find out when I actually die so that's something to look forward to about death :dukegoof: It's quite exciting actually.

wow micky you beat me to the punch on that one

• I have the power!

The scathing review started out as an assault on the author and the book but....well, it ended up just being an assault on Christian Fundamentalism. Only about a third is actually about the book itself. The book is no different than the crap you'll see on 700 Club or any other televangelists.

I don't really care who reads it, I just thought I'd share it so anyone who feels inclined could.

User is offline   Kathy 

Ave Sathanas!

Agnostic. I don't think there is(are) god(s), but it is still somewhat possible(deism maybe). Don't really care though, we're just a species on some tiny planet. It is a warm feeling that you're living for a better afterlife, but I don't want to lie to myself. There is no meaning, no purpose except living to die and perish.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not a bad review, I see what you're getting at. I don't really think the Bible is relevant any more, and may not have been in the first place. I can't trust anything that was written by a bunch of people, years after the fact, in multiple languages, recounting things they saw or heard from someone else. Then someone else comes along later, takes all these various things, tosses out whole sections, translates, and rewrites parts. Then it's translated and rewritten again. I mean... really? It may have originally been the word of God himself, but we all know Satan would have loved to get his hands on it and corrupt it. Man is a great vessel for that.

I'm pretty sure I've said it once or twice on here, I'm agnostic as well. Though, I'm leaning toward a more theistic agnosticism now. I've basically merged the ideas of agnostic atheism and deism. To me, it seems any god is unlikely, but logic tells me I can't disprove it. With the little information I do have, it seems a non-personified god may exist, and is uninterested in our day to day, but rather just the inner-workings of the universe. You could say that my god is science itself. Everything around us is all a little part of it. From my reading of the Bible, that is actually compatible, because a person is a vessel for the Holy Spirit and therein a house of God in itself. Just an interesting, aside, I guess.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 17 April 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

Not a bad review, I see what you're getting at. I don't really think the Bible is relevant any more, and may not have been in the first place. I can't trust anything that was written by a bunch of people, years after the fact, in multiple languages, recounting things they saw or heard from someone else. Then someone else comes along later, takes all these various things, tosses out whole sections, translates, and rewrites parts. Then it's translated and rewritten again. I mean... really? It may have originally been the word of God himself, but we all know Satan would have loved to get his hands on it and corrupt it. Man is a great vessel for that.

That doesn't apply to the Textus Receptus.

Here's a hint: people with a pre-1900's sense of social norms probably want to incinerate me.

Religion: I know there's an exact term for this, but I can never remember it rightly. And the only time I ever heard it was on 3DR's forums, but I can't go back and check because that infamous thread (Science vs. Religion) got deleted. There have been three different trains of thought when it comes to deities.

1. All Gods or paths actually lead to the same singular God. (new age)
2. There is only one true God, and all the other ones are false Deities. (monotheism)
3. What I more or less have felt in the past few years, is that there are different pantheons, gods, whatever. Some get along together, some don't. It's a sort of "My God can beat up your God" type of thing. Very common in Old Testament times.

Beliefs: Whether its Satan, a curse from eating the Eden fruit, or just some inherent instinct in humanity left over from evolution, I believe there is a definite Good vs. Evil struggle happening - something far more fundamental than the BS we convert into wars over politics, oil, social norms, or whatever, but I don't pretend to understand why it is happening. Either way I've seen it too many times firsthand to ignore its existence. Same goes for evidence of intelligences beyond our understanding.

Philosophy: I'm kinda in limbo right now, because I went through some REALLY bad times recently and my psyche still hasn't been able to rationalize it.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 18 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

• I have the power!

The transmission of the Greek and Hebrew (sure, and Latin) texts have an interesting history. I have seen variants as late as 9th or 10th century but those are mostly scribal errors like haplography, dittography, or even spelling mistakes. They also could just be copied from a manuscript that already had that mistake and, since they didn't know Greek (or whatever), they just copied it. There eventually was a sort of reverence about maintaining the text and that persisted in some traditions. Variants in the 4th and 5th century are more interesting to look at since some are theological in nature while others are simply scribes not wanting the text to be in such vulgar Greek (correcting case usage, putting in articles etc). When you have over 6000 Greek manuscripts, you tend to have a lot of small variants. Have you ever copied a text by hand perfectly? Of course not...it isn't possible after so many words.

Over half of the textual variants can be explained either by scribal errors or pronunciation problems (in Modern Greek and in late ancient Greek most vowels were pronounced the same). The rest are worth looking at in great detail but since manuscripts are near impossible to get a hold of and no one knows Greek anymore, it is becoming a lost tool.

The Hebrew text is interesting since it was consonantal until about the 8th century when vocalization that had existed for centuries before hand (James Barr and others had some stuff to say about this) was put onto the text so that people could read it without knowing the reading tradition. The problem is that scribal errors happen all the time so there are still some interesting variants in the Hebrew text and some fun differences between the Hebrew OT and the Greek OT. Of course, there are still the sections of scholarship that want to dismiss the text as flawed or corrupted anyway...bible scholars don't get along very well.

In general, however, the problem isn't the Greek or Hebrew text (integrity wise) it is understanding what is meant. English translations range from not bad to utter shit in many places. Some are much better than others but none are completely satisfactory to me. I prefer the New Revised Standard Bible and the New American Bible. Those are the ones I use the most but I am starting to like the Jewish Publication Society's translation of the Hebrew Bible.
The Authorized Version is pretty much in the middle but in places is pretty good. Crap like the New Living Translation or those paraphrase bibles should be burned.

User is offline   Martin 

Reality tunnels. The world around you isn't really the world, it's your interpretation of the world. The grass is not green. It appears to be green. My brain makes it green. Etc. I don't value any religion, as no religion is the word of God. The bible was written by men, not good. Same for the Torah, Quran, etc. In this way, organized religions are totally fictitious.

Religion: Atheist.
God(s) are remotely possible, but only in the sense that an invisible pink unicorn or spaghetti monster is theoretically possible. In practice, one must live as if such things do not exist unless and until evidence for them emerges.

Belief: Sceptic.
Epistemologically speaking, we don' know nothin' ;) Everything we know could be false. Gödel proved that. This is the generalisation of my "god" belief.

Philosophy: Stoic Authoritarian.
Due to the laws of Physics operating in this universe, life is unfair. Ethics of Justice is evolution's answer to this and, until and if we are ever prepared and able to eliminate moral evil by genetic engineering, is the only sensible response. Law, Order and Morality should prevail over freedom of choice wherever a person's choice is to be unfair to another.

(Edited to remove link to Wikipedia's definition of Authoritarian; describes tyrannical forms only, rather than the general concept of primacy of Law and Order.)

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 03 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If you believe god(s) are remotely possible, then technically speaking, you're agnostic.

I'm born and baptized in a Christian church and my parents are Christians too but I've grown up to be an agnostic.
I don't have strong beliefs in the bible yet I still feel offended when somebody curses Jesus and makes very negative jokes about it...
I guess my childhood brainwashing is the one making me feel that way...
I still celebrate Easter and Christmas though but I never go to church and I never watch preachers talk nor do I trust the bible to be more than a broken reinterpreted book mixed with truths and lies and bad translations + having parts of it missing and forcefully fused to make sense at the end of the day.
I believe that recipe of broken translation and missing content is subject to be part of every major religious guidance book.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   DerickVonD 

Shaivism

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 20 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

I do not believe in a god that is aware of "us" no more than we are aware of the millions of bacteria that live in our own bodies, I will state that I think that anyone who believe the nonsense that the popular religious texts preach is a common fool and incapable of instinctual thought.

All creatures seem to know when they are dying and seem to have a natural connection with existence, I believe that we once had this instinct but it has been lost, through bullshit teachings of madmen and weirdos that has become a truth only because for a long time, anyone who questioned these beliefs was killed or deemed a satanist or whatever.

So we arrive at this point in evolution, where just because "most" people "seem" believe some crap that has been past down through generations of "controllers", so it must be true, right?......Wrong.

Look only to yourself for the truth, it is buried deep but it is in your dna.

The ego is a powerfull thing, we cant accept that we will at some point cease to exist, that is why god is such a great bargaining tool, and guess what? Nobody can disprove "it" because you have to be dead...

I try to keep an open mind, but I accept that there are some thing we are not capable of understanding no matter how hard we try.

God is a lie, its just a very abstract understanding of the sun (which is the giver of all life), you only have to go back to the roots of worship to understand what Im getting at.

Believe what you want, hide under the comfortable rock that god is, and die an ignorant fool, because when you accept that "god" is the answer for things you dont understand that is what you are doing.

I know very smart people who believe in a god, they are not stupid, but conditioning and brain washing is so very powerful indeed.

Do not try to debate me for you will fall, and maybe even lose what is closest to your heart, my advice stay ignorant for it does not matter in any way, shape or form.

We are all of one, just in differant forms, you only experience existence with your current consiousness once, after that there is no heaven, no hell, no nothing.

Do you remember what it was like before you were born? No neither does anyone, its the same when you die.

If its any consolation, be at peace knowing that you NEVER get to experience death, only dying.

I will add that any that does happen is suppoesed to be, because it could never have been any other way, what we percieve as the universe is not chaotic, it is just a cycle of something we can never comprehend.

In many ways we will never "die" as we always "were". As soon as there was anything, that was us just in a differant form.

The answers are not clear, but they are there, already inside you, you will feel them or you wont, it matters not.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

You made me thought of something with the mils of bacterias living inside us.

Maybe we are universes and bacterias are lifeforms.
Now we go ahead.

We are the bacterias.
(zoom out)
Solar systems are the inside of cells.
(zoom out)
Heliosphere
Posted Image
Similar
Posted Image
(now the creepy and interesting part)
(zooming far more)

This is a galactic cluster
Posted Image
Source http://zebu.uoregon....mages/dmsim.gif

This is the brain neurons
Posted Image
Source http://law2.umkc.edu...neuronsfire.jpg

So it is very similar.

Example from a simpsons intro clip.

Maybe if we zoom extremely far out of the universe it could actually be a brain and we are bacterias.
Murderers and rapists are (disease) viruses / bacteria.
Or maybe we are disease causing destruction of the molecular of the brain (deforestation, habitat degradation and overpopulation).

Not part of my theory but just a thought.
My brother at younger age thought of a similar theory.

User is offline   Ronin 

Yeah I have noticed those similaritys before, everything is relative to us humans, because of our ego, we still think we are the most important thing in the universe and the most unique, it could be true but given the odds, its extermely unlikly.

I am deeply interest in the nature of existence, but Im afraid that we are probably not able to comprehend it, though some of us have amazing minds.

I am not mathamathicly gifted but I have very strong what I call instinctual intelligence, it allows me to defend myself and read people, and do interesting artwork. And my logic will not allow me to believe in bullshite like god, who wa screated by bronze age superstitious people, who would swallow a brick back then as some of us still do today.

Think for yourself or be a fucktard the choice is yours, most people are stupid that is why god is such a strong belief, if I had my way I would get rid of god and anyone who is a religious fanatic, which pretty much wipes out most of the middle east and South America, and many parts of Africa. I would nuke the lot of you.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostRipemanewone, on 02 June 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

All creatures seem to know when they are dying and seem to have a natural connection with existence, I believe that we once had this instinct but it has been lost,

We are all of one, just in differant forms,

Am I supposed to take that in a non-New Age kind of way?

what we percieve as the universe is not chaotic, it is just a cycle of something we can never comprehend.

Where did you get that "cycle" part from? A cycle would imply a universe where entropy would reverse periodically.

View PostRipemanewone, on 02 June 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

I do not believe in a god that is aware of "us" no more than we are aware of the millions of bacteria that live in our own bodies, I will state that I think that anyone who believe the nonsense that the popular religious texts preach is a common fool and incapable of instinctual thought.

Instinctual thought? What does that even mean?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of instinct in this case, I can't see this as a bad thing. Most instinctual behavior these days only serves to hinder the progress of human society. You also seem to imply here that its instinctual to not believe in a god. That is completely illogical, because if there's no god, why would primal instincts compensate for something that isn't even a factor?

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 03 June 2011 - 06:49 AM, said:

Where did you get that "cycle" part from? A cycle would imply a universe where entropy would reverse periodically.

According to the Big Bang theory, it does. Not that humans will ever get a chance to see it happen.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 04 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postwayskobfssae, on 04 June 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

According to the Big Bang theory, it does. Not that humans will ever get a chance to see it happen.

You're referring to the Big Crunch? Yes, I'm familiar with that but a contracting universe doesn't mean that entropy would have to decrease. A contracting universe would be a result of gravity, not of time turning backwards (i.e., entropy reversing). I know some people think that time can be reversed but these are mostly people who've watched too much science fiction.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postwayskobfssae, on 04 June 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

Instinctual thought? What does that even mean?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of instinct in this case, I can't see this as a bad thing. Most instinctual behavior these days only serves to hinder the progress of human society. You also seem to imply here that its instinctual to not believe in a god. That is completely illogical, because if there's no god, why would primal instincts compensate for something that isn't even a factor?

If you only have an instinct and no higher intellect, you could not possibly invent god. Posted Image
What is your definition of 'progress of human society', because as soon as a homo sapient thinks he thinks the shit hits the fan. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options