Duke4.net Forums: School. My first map - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

School. My first map

Check out my new map based on my old middle school.

http://dukerepository.com/maps/School

It's a very fun map. I'm not sure but isn't it spelled murderer instead of just murder?

User is offline   Mark 

I liked it. Cool looking 3D projector in one classroom. I'm not a hardcore player so I got killed a few times even in the easy mode.

I noticed a few minor things like toilets need to be spun around to face front. Proportion was off in some places. It can be tough sometimes to find that perfect size for stuff so that it looks right far away and close up.

I think you need a "safe" place for the player to start from so you are not being fired upon as soon as the level starts.

I think you did very good for your first map.

This post has been edited by Marked: 02 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

I'm pretty sure i was safe from the start when i played >.< All enemies where behind walls...

This post has been edited by Jhect: 02 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thank you two for trying it out. A few minor problems sounds like something I can live with. As for the murder thing it's just a reference from the shining, redrum is murder backwards.

Cool. Was fun.

User is offline   Hank 

Many thanks for doing maps! :P

I know you'll hate me, but the map lacks shading. It's plays on one level, like in a before Doom environment. The weapon/ammo balance is OK and fun to play, and I like your open arena style, but this alone does not make it a good map. A good map wants you to play it again. :P

You wrote that you've been around, so you know Duker's are the hardest peeps to satisfy, and I'm old school. :P

View PostHank, on Jan 3 2011, 04:13 AM, said:

Many thanks for doing maps! :P

I know you'll hate me, but the map lacks shading. It's plays on one level, like in a before Doom environment. The weapon/ammo balance is OK and fun to play, and I like your open arena style, but this alone does not make it a good map. A good map wants you to play it again. :P

You wrote that you've been around, so you know Duker's are the hardest peeps to satisfy, and I'm old school. :P

Yea i have seen that a lot of people here on these forums like perfect shading. I myself think that shading with this map system is not that neccesary. It looks good ofcourse. But i prefer a map that i can see that the player focused on the gameplay and not the map itself in it's beaty. Ofcourse good shading is a big plus.
But that's a matter of taste right?

User is offline   Hank 

@Jhect - Yes, that's right! It's all a matter of taste.

It's basic mapping though. In a four sided room the adjacent sides differ in the shade value, and the opposite equal in value. It simply helps for orientation. All those corridors – well don't look like real corridors. AND you ain't supposed to see your enemy! You are supposed to get killed by your enemy. They are mindless actors, give 'em a chance to do their job! :P

appreciate everyone's input. I know it could use some shading and such but I was just more focused on the game play and finishing it up. I also feel it makes sense to me to have really dull lighting in a school. I remember everything having fluorescent lighting all through out. Thanks for playing.

Anyway there is one point that i gotta complain about. The first time you meet a commander in a class room. After he noticed me i ran out of the room and waited for him to come closer to me. Then he started shooting rockets through the window lol xD I don't know if that's supposed to happen, but it took a good amount of my health :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Unfortunately I can't play your map for two or so weeks but I'd love to ASAP, in the meantime, could you post up some screenshots? :P

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

View PostMicky C, on Jan 3 2011, 12:52 PM, said:

Unfortunately I can't play your map for two or so weeks but I'd love to ASAP, in the meantime, could you post up some screenshots? :P

here you go
Attached File  class.bmp (1.37MB)
Number of downloads: 148Attached File  art.bmp (1.37MB)
Number of downloads: 136Attached File  cafeteria.bmp (1.37MB)
Number of downloads: 133 mp]Attached File  gym.bmp (1.37MB)
Number of downloads: 127

This post has been edited by rockdrummercm: 03 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I can see some solid spritework and locations that are clearly recognizable as what they're supposed to be, well done :P

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Nice texture compression on them screenshots there.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options