Duke4.net Forums: Is Duke actually cool? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Duke actually cool?

User is offline   Raziel 

You know guys, I love Duke3D and will love DNF, but seriously, is Duke Nukem as a character actually cool?!

I mean... He's basically a dude in his 40s who hangs around in strip joints all day with a drinking problem. He cheats on his women and believes mainly in one-night-stands. He's also got a foul mouth and the brain capacity of a fruit fly. I mean, any guy walking around saying "I've got balls of steel!" is definitely a Neanderthal.

I considered him cool when I was in my mid-teens, but thinking about him now, he's not really much of a role model. Rather than looking up to him and laughing with him when I play the game, I just find myself laughing at him now.

What do you guys think?

Raz.

View PostRaziel, on Dec 29 2010, 11:44 AM, said:

Is Duke Nukem as a character actually cool?!
Raz.

He has awesome weapons, he kills aliens in awesome ways, he says cool things etc, of course he is cool can't beleive you even bothered asking!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Duke saves the Babes and rids the Earth of alien scum. What isn't cool about that?

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

"The Troll is strong with this one".

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Yes, he's cool.

Totally cool!

"Is Duke cool?" OF COURSE HE IS!!!!!!

What kind of stupid ass question is that? Mods LOCK THIS THREAD!!!

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Duke wasn't intended to be a role model by any means. If you think that's what he is, then you've got to go get some "special" tests at the "hospital." Duke is about being the alpha male, king of the world, with lovely women surrounding you. It's a male fantasy. Also, Duke is an ageless icon, and he's more of a guy in his thirties than forties.

I agree with blackharted on this one.

Lock.
Posted Image

User is offline   Raziel 

I dunno, I really like the character, but I'm not sure I'd wanna be like him. To me, that's the definition of being cool. Do I want to play the game? Yes, because it's funny to see the things he says and does. And don't get me started with how our hero now loves picking up turds from toilets, I'm sorry, but that shit just isn't cool.

Anyway, all this started with that fan movie. Now, don't get me wrong, that recent fan trailer portrayed Duke really really well, but that's the problem you see. Actually seeing him just hanging out in a strip joint, smoking a cigar and paying strippers and stuff, it just got me thinking... I guess the question hit my mind, would I want to be this guy?

I wanted to see how other people looked at Duke now and whether their image of him has changed over the last 13 years. Like I said in my opening post, I originally thought he was cool when I was in my teens, at the time I was thinking he's so cool for hanging around strip joints and eventually I'll do the same (though at the time I'm sure he didn't smoke as well), now I'm kinda like, that's not really cool. Must be an age thing I think.

@Fox Mulder
If you haven't got anything constructive to add to the thread, it's better to keep quiet. Damn trolls.

Raz.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

What do you mean he loves to pick up turds? He clearly shows disgust when picking them up.

User is offline   Outtagum 

Yup.^

Also, you aren't forced to pick up turds. :rolleyes:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostRaziel, on Dec 29 2010, 02:44 AM, said:

I mean... He's basically a dude in his 40s

Never been stated. It was implied he could be as young as his late 20s. 3D Realms had him somewhere in his mid 30s when Duke Nukem 3D took place, and Gearbox has youthened him a bit, so hes still basically a late 20's mid 30's guy.

who hangs around in strip joints all day with a drinking problem.

He hangs around in strip joints SOMETIMES. He clearly leads an exotic and diverse life. He lives in the fast lane. Its never indicated he has a drinking problem anywhere in any of the games. He enjoys a drink, that doesnt make him an alcoholic.

He cheats on his women and believes mainly in one-night-stands.

Where? He likes a lot of women. He scores with a lot of women, but where in any of the games, in any of the back story, has it ever been implied that Duke cheats? Women can be just as interested in keeping things simple and quick. Those are the kinds of girls Duke goes for.

He's also got a foul mouth and the brain capacity of a fruit fly.

He has his moments of crudeness, but he's actually quite witty and charming in many instances, picking out many pop culture references and dueling with words as well as guns. He's also describing as being "Pretty smart for a mean son of a bitch." In the Duke Nukem Time to Kill backstory.

he's not really much of a role model. Rather than looking up to him and laughing with him when I play the game,

He was never meant to be a role model. That doesnt mean you cant enjoy the simple, straight-forward, and awesome nature of the character.

Guys you re doing it wrong.

This topic was meant to get only " Of course he s cool " replies and then a lock for obvious trolling.

Don't feed it , i know its Christmas and you re overloaded with candy but you have to resist the troll.

User is offline   Sebastian 

If I were to take Duke serious then yeah, he's actually a really sad prick. But these games ain't exactly the world we live in. I do get the argument and agree to some extent. I too am having a hard time picturing Duke paying his bills or clipping his toe-nails on a Wednesday afternoon. The character is too outrageous and comical to actually be taken serious. There's just not enough depth for the character to break the fourth wall for me.

Oh and please stop telling moderators what they should do, there's a button for reporting spam so use it. Any more talk of trolling will get deleted.

User is offline   Stabs 

He thinks he is cool :rolleyes:

at least he is not some brooding miltary douche like so many games today

• tile 1018

View PostCommando Nukem, on Dec 30 2010, 01:10 AM, said:

Never been stated. It was implied he could be as young as his late 20s. 3D Realms had him somewhere in his mid 30s when Duke Nukem 3D took place, and Gearbox has youthened him a bit, so hes still basically a late 20's mid 30's guy.

He hangs around in strip joints SOMETIMES. He clearly leads an exotic and diverse life. He lives in the fast lane. Its never indicated he has a drinking problem anywhere in any of the games. He enjoys a drink, that doesnt make him an alcoholic.

Where? He likes a lot of women. He scores with a lot of women, but where in any of the games, in any of the back story, has it ever been implied that Duke cheats? Women can be just as interested in keeping things simple and quick. Those are the kinds of girls Duke goes for.

He has his moments of crudeness, but he's actually quite witty and charming in many instances, picking out many pop culture references and dueling with words as well as guns. He's also describing as being "Pretty smart for a mean son of a bitch." In the Duke Nukem Time to Kill backstory.

He was never meant to be a role model. That doesnt mean you cant enjoy the simple, straight-forward, and awesome nature of the character.

Perfectly said.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Yes... very well said by Commando Nukem.

I think there are several problems with the first post, but the starting one is "Role Model". Every game character isn't supposed to be a role model... and in some societies, he might be a good role model in some ways.

By suggesting Duke should NOT be this or that (foul mouthed, womanizing, shallow, etc) you know what that is? Forcing your own views of morality and societal against or onto someone elses. Who even says he should be a role model? Most comedy is based on the misfortune of others. (yep) So I am sure people laugh both at and with Duke as well as laughing at his "morality" or lack their of based in the player own standards. Because it IS a game, and he ISN'T real, it can be enjoyed even if you don't agree with his suggested views on these things. I play GTA, and am generally against sawing people up with a chainsaw, but my CHARACTER acting this out in the game in a mission does not stop me from enjoying the game within its own standards... and that does not cause me to add this to the list of defense options in real life.

Yes, I am focusing more on the morality issues than the actual title question, but I think this is the single biggest "conflict" in the original post... like the whole problem they (Raziel) had with Duke is in the ROLE of Role Model and as a source of moral guidance and that is not what I believe a game character should be. I suppose Duke is in conflict with my own chosen morality actually, but Duke Nukem is for me to enjoy, not to be my role model, or for me to learn life lessons from etc. If children are using game characters as role models, they are probably too immature to be playing games like that.

Regardless of my own and Dukes possible moral differences, I believe Duke is very cool in his appropriate world. :rolleyes:

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

• tile 1018

MrBlackCat, you make me sound like a babbling idiot. I mean that in a good way.

Yeah, the biggest issue is that Duke ISN'T a role model. It's just a male fantasy to be on top of the world with every woman wanting to have sex with you. Being on top of the world meaning being the biggest bad ass that no one would or should ever mess with. I would want to be Duke. Raziel, you don't. Not my problem.

User is offline   Raziel 

Oh, I'm not stopping any of you wanting to be Duke. I'm just highlighting that the way I look at him now has completely changed compared to when I was younger. I have to agree that although I don't know if I can classify him as cool, I will love stepping back into his shoes for a change, assuming the game ships this time.

Raz.

View PostRaziel, on Dec 30 2010, 10:33 PM, said:

Oh, I'm not stopping any of you wanting to be Duke. I'm just highlighting that the way I look at him now has completely changed compared to when I was younger. I have to agree that although I don't know if I can classify him as cool, I will love stepping back into his shoes for a change, assuming the game ships this time.

Raz.

Oh hell! Raz... did you accidentally grow up? I hope not. I don't know all the symptoms, but I am not sure it is reversible and "grownups" <swallows hard> have more difficulty enjoying games! It's terrible, I've seen it happen to people... is brutal. :P I have been fighting this epic battle to not grow up for decades... I have to use the force. :P
Hehehe Just kidding...

I would say based on the original title question... Yes and No. Because Cool is observer perspective more so than anything... based on many factors typed about above.

I would not really want to be Duke... but I suppose if we/I had his abilities and mindset, his actions and lifestyle make sense... or they do to me. My life fits me well, so I don't guess something like this would influence my real life either.

Maybe it is just more accurate to say that Duke is cool in Dukes world... one thing I like about the character... he is "real" in the sense he has balance. Duke doesn't "try" to be cool... he is what he is and doesn't care about what others think. Secure I suppose. As a result of his personal security and his abilities and his physical make up, his lifestyle is just appropriate I would say. "Theres plenty of Duke to go around." or "I'm not gonna fight you, I'm gonna kick your ass." Some might say this is arrogance, or crude or lots of negative things, BUT what I see (in Duke World) is Confidence. Arrogance is false confidence, and real confidence is based on ability. Some people REALLY don't understand the whole confidence/arrogance thingy. Duke saves the world... so I would say he is 100% confident and not arrogant at all.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Duke looks the same to me now as he did back then.

A bad-ass action hero who kills aliens, gets babes, says one liners and blows shit up.

The only time I want to be him is when I am playing a Duke game. :P

User is offline   Raziel 

Hmmm, interesting viewpoint. But yeah MrBlackCat, I think I did. Well, I can tell you, it'll fun spending time with the Duke again, regardless of my change of perspective. If nothing else, he's definitely cooler than I am.

Raz.

View PostRaziel, on Dec 29 2010, 03:44 AM, said:

He cheats on his women and believes mainly in one-night-stands. He's also got a foul mouth

That's me :P
Aww, wait, were you talking about somebody else? Ohh never mind then!

I mean, any guy walking around saying "I've got balls of steel!" is definitely a Neanderthal.

I've got balls of steel!
Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls
I've got balls of steel!

is Duke Nukem as a character actually cool?!

Check this out!
Duke Nukem is so cool, that he even has fan sites with forums dedicated to him!!! Amazing isn't it?
But check this one out too!
It goes even deeper man!!! Some of those forums dedicated to Duke Nukem are so popular that even YOU are registered in one of them! Crazy right?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 31 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

LOL!

Wait, wait... let me see if I can get this straight. Duke... (the character) has.... Balls? No, wait, let me re-read. I am trying to figure this cryptic message out now, hang with me here... the message just isn't direct enough. Ok... Duke has bats of aluminum? That is what I am getting here.

Jobi could figure it out though... "If you look it says 'balls' 311 times, so March 11 is NOT the release date! That is to throw us off! Because Tom Hall embedded 411 in the EXE of Duke Nukem II in the 311th line, so if you count over 3 spaces and down 11 there is some hex e311, so Duke will be shown at E3 in 2011! and I am 1000% certain!"

:P

MrBlackCat

• tile 1018

View PostMrBlackCat, on Dec 31 2010, 10:16 AM, said:

LOL!

Wait, wait... let me see if I can get this straight. Duke... (the character) has.... Balls? No, wait, let me re-read. I am trying to figure this cryptic message out now, hang with me here... the message just isn't direct enough. Ok... Duke has bats of aluminum? That is what I am getting here.

Jobi could figure it out though... "If you look it says 'balls' 311 times, so March 11 is NOT the release date! That is to throw us off! Because Tom Hall embedded 411 in the EXE of Duke Nukem II in the 311th line, so if you count over 3 spaces and down 11 there is some hex e311, so Duke will be shown at E3 in 2011! and I am 1000% certain!"

:P

MrBlackCat

Well actually, he said "balls" 1342 times consecutively, but if you add in the two times he said "I've got balls of steel!" That would make 1344 balls, but I understand what you were saying.

View PostSpirrwell, on Dec 31 2010, 11:52 AM, said:

Well actually, he said "balls" 1342 times consecutively, but if you add in the two times he said "I've got balls of steel!" That would make 1344 balls, but I understand what you were saying.

1344? So the game is coming out in the 13th month of 2042! NEW RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED!
Grandson of Duke Nukem in the game! CONFIRMED!
You know, that is enough balls to decorate Christmas Town...

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

You know guys, I love Duke3D and will love DNF, but seriously, is Duke Nukem as a character actually cool?!

I mean... He's basically a dude in his 40s who hangs around in strip joints all day with a drinking problem. He cheats on his women and believes mainly in one-night-stands. He's also got a foul mouth and the brain capacity of a fruit fly. I mean, any guy walking around saying "I've got balls of steel!" is definitely a Neanderthal.

I considered him cool when I was in my mid-teens, but thinking about him now, he's not really much of a role model. Rather than looking up to him and laughing with him when I play the game, I just find myself laughing at him now.

What do you guys think?

Raz.

Raz,

Being a cool video game character and being a cool person are not the same thing. Duke Nukem was never supposed to be a role model, and you were a confused teen if you thought he was. Duke Nukem is a cool video game character. He would not be a cool person in real life, if he was the same as in the games.

I'm glad I could clear that up for you. :P

Ok DT but i am afraid you are wrong :P

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDavoX, on Dec 29 2010, 10:45 PM, said:

What do you mean he loves to pick up turds? He clearly shows disgust when picking them up.

View PostZor, on Dec 30 2010, 12:39 AM, said:

Yup.^

Also, you aren't forced to pick up turds. :P

Exactly.

Good to see the two of you basically see why I used to get pissed off when people overreacted to the whole picking up shit thing, as if Duke liked it or something. When in the magazines they obviously just said that he reacts in disgust and breaks the fourth wall to the player wondering why the fuck you just made him do it. (Which IMHO, adds humor to the situation.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 31 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   Jeager1999 

View PostDavoX, on Dec 29 2010, 06:45 PM, said:

I bet the first thing you'll find on Youtube when the Club Members get the Demo is Clips of Duke Playing with Poo.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options