Duke4.net Forums: Crysis 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crysis 2

User is offline   Alithinos 

I'd like to post some ideas about Crysis 2 that is coming out soon.

I've played both Crysis and Crysis: Warhead,and so I think my opinion about Crysis 2 has to say something.
First of all I'm not excited about Crysis 2.

And that's about various reasons.

1. The first reason is that from what I read at EA's site,the game is going to be a lot different from Crysis in a bad way.
And it has to do with the story/scenario of the game.
Crysis ended with a cliffhunger video where the main protagonist is up on a ship ready to go back to the island.
The video showed that the thousands of aliens poped out of a volcano that is on an island,"I think that that makes them subterranean and not extra terrestials" and the U.S. NAVY threw a nuclear rocket at the volcano that did nothing,and then the scientist on the ship said that to stop aliens from coming out someone had to go back to their undeground base that is inside the volcano,and the video ends with the protagonist saying that he goes right to it.

The story of Crysis 2 is different.
The game doesn't start from where Crysis ended.
Besides taking you deep inside Earth,it suddenly shows the protagonist at NY,USA.
So,they where a mile away from the alien's base,and they travelled more than 1.000 miles from Korea to U.S.A to fight the aliens there and not at their base. Yup.
Pardon me,but I don't like this discontinueity of the story in the series,because it doesn't make sense.

2. EA marketing.
Do I have to say more ?
At Mass Effect 2,they removed content from the game,and demanded you to become a member at their forums to give you the removed content for free,and they did that to prevent people from buying a used original copy of the game.
But even if you have downloaded the content and installed it,you have to be connected to the internet every time you want to play the game (which is not online) because every time you launch the game,it tries to connect to the EA server to authenticate the dlc (yes,everytime you want to play you must authenticate) and that means that if your modem has a problem or the wifi signal is not powerful,you can't play the the game file that you started with the dlc's,and it only let you start a new game without them.

Now at Crysis 2 they do something else: They offer at the special edition of the game more xp points for the multiplayer,so someone who will give some more $,will kick *ss straight away from day 1,even if he is a noob.

3. EA games are full of glitches. End of story.

P.S. I'm glad 3d Realms never had relations with E.A. Duke coming from E.A. would be a disaster.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 07 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The impression I got was that the main character in Crysis 2 was a different guy, a green beret who stole the nanosuit 2 from Crytek (or whatever the ingame company is called), but don't hold me to that.

I also hate the whole Anti-Piracy thing EA tries to do. They need to get it through their thick skulls that no matter what, people are going to hack it if it's a good enough game, so they might as well cut the slack and make it more convenient for everyone.

I'll probably get the game in a year or so once it's cheaper, I'm in no rush, unlike DNF.

User is offline   Stabs 

eh kinda keen to go play crysis in a city and who cares what happened to the first boring faceless GI crysis guy anyways i hope he got reamed by those squids, warhead was such a better game to the point of me finishing that twice whilst never getting more than a quater of the way through the original

the game needs more psycho calling the ethnics muppets and throwing them out of planes :rolleyes:

uhh i did not play any of those crysis games. but it sounds like he failed at stopping the aliens from coming out of the volcano >.> it would be weird to fail that quest and survive it. it could also be that they simply come from a different place right?

View PostJhect, on Dec 8 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

uhh i did not play any of those crysis games. but it sounds like he failed at stopping the aliens from coming out of the volcano >.> it would be weird to fail that quest and survive it. it could also be that they simply come from a different place right?

The day you get a decent pc, do not miss out on Crysis. It's an exceptional fps game and very cinematic. Near the end of the game it gets so crazy and so visually outstanding that it blows anything out of the water. The game gets so fucking volumetric, animated and ambiental that it's unbelievable!
I've beaten the game maxed out half a year after it got out. The game marked me for life.
It doesn't have the most original plot of all time, but it sure as hell has some of the most fucking cinematic moments I've ever experienced in a game.
That alien mountain just feels fucking real and full of diversity. I think they've worked their fucking ass at the alien base inside that mountain. I almost feel that they've spent most of their time in those levels and less time in the first ones.
Why the fuck did they have to release crysis 2 in new york when an alien setting similar to that in crysis would have been millions of times cooler!
I still remember the god ray's and all the volumetric light in which you pretty much bathe at the end of the game lol.
The best fucking visuals ever to be rendered by my video card up to this day.
Not even 3dmark comes close and not even the new 3dmark 11 shows things that are as cool as what can be seen in the end levels of crysis.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 10 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

View PostDestiny, on Dec 10 2010, 08:34 AM, said:

Doesn't Crysis 2 have the second best graphics ever? Metro 2033 is the only game that has better.

Is Metro 2033 any good?

yea mr deviance i have tried it and it was a fun experience. not the best game ive ever played. and i do think that final fantasy 13 have better graphics :rolleyes:
i have never seen metro 2033 before or heard of it o.O

View PostJhect, on Dec 10 2010, 03:04 PM, said:

yea mr deviance i have tried it and it was a fun experience. not the best game ive ever played. and i do think that final fantasy 13 have better graphics :rolleyes:
i have never seen metro 2033 before or heard of it o.O

final fantasy 13 can't have better graphics because it's a console game. Consoles can't even remotely run crysis. If a game is on a console, it can't have similar or better graphics than crysis.
Maybe you just like the art style more in ff13, that's another story.

User is offline   Martin 

I played Crysis a few years back. Thought the graphics were great, but the gameplay was a bit of a yawn-fest. Also the AI was really stupid. I only played it for a short while, and even in that time I saw two enemies drown themselves. Just floating in the water heckling me in their funny language, but not moving. Then dying. Lol. Crysis 2 just looks like a cut-down version of the first game in order to have it on consoles and actually make money. The first Crysis didn't do too well at retail.

View PostMartin, on Dec 17 2010, 05:57 AM, said:

I played Crysis a few years back. Thought the graphics were great, but the gameplay was a bit of a yawn-fest. Also the AI was really stupid. I only played it for a short while, and even in that time I saw two enemies drown themselves. Just floating in the water heckling me in their funny language, but not moving. Then dying. Lol. Crysis 2 just looks like a cut-down version of the first game in order to have it on consoles and actually make money. The first Crysis didn't do too well at retail.

Yeah, the A.I sometimes feels that it's dumber than the FarCry A.I. but I can't possibly agree with you that the gameplay is a yawn-fest.
Imo, Crysis brought a new and very nice gameplay element to fps games.
The fast switch between those 4 modes of the nanosuit, make for a very interesting gameplay mechanic, especially because none of the mods is infinite and requires that you play between all of them when you pass through an area populated by enemies.
The game is very cinematic, music, sfx and voice acting are great, the gameplay is cool and the graphics are legendary.
If you want to poke a stick at crysis, the only real problem with the game itself is the retarded A.I. and the stereotypical story.
But then again,when did cool stories in FPS games became the norm?
All the gamers that got to play FPS games since they came to existence, likes/loves Duke Nukem 3D and Doom which are completely lacking a proper story.

A cool fps game doesn't necessarily need to be story oriented! If a studio decides to make an fps shine through it's graphics and gameplay and just throw a story in there to have a pretext, I don't see the problem at all.

I love fps games with a cool story and cool gameplay but I don't mind fps games with awesome graphics, decent gameplay and a bad story.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Well yeah, I wasn't marking it down for storyline. I mean, Duke's storyline is really shit, too. Mostly I was just talking how it was FarCry but with amazing graphics, and poor AI. I rate Crysis as the last 'proper' PC game that pushed the platform beyond anything which could be done on consoles. As I've said a couple times now, Crytek had to abandon that route after the original Crysis tanked at retail. Nobody buys PC games. This is why we see Crysis 2, which is such a mammoth step back from the original in terms of technology. It is no-longer good business to make PC games like Crysis which can only run on the most high-end machines (which was true in 2007). Those days are gone.

I suppose I do like a good storyline from a single-player campaign, these days. After Half-Life, single-plater FPS games that had shit stories didn't really keep my interest, unless there was something else really amazing about them. Duke gets of scot-free because he's funny, and how interactive his main games are.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Dec 11 2010, 09:08 PM, said:

final fantasy 13 can't have better graphics because it's a console game. Consoles can't even remotely run crysis. If a game is on a console, it can't have similar or better graphics than crysis.
Maybe you just like the art style more in ff13, that's another story.

What i am trying to say is that final fantasy is more beautiful than crysis. It doesn't matter if the console can't have similar or better graphics. It depends on who created it and how much effort they put into it. It looks better.

User is offline   Martin 

That's a subjective thing. I've tired of anime very much so, and so I think Final Fantasy looks clichéd-as-fuck.

• Honored Donor

I just saw the latest crysis 2 video; and I can't help but feel that the gameplay will be repetitive. In the first crysis, there was a mix of jungle, Korean base, high-tech facility, underground mine, alien spaceship, and American naval warship action, not to mention the vehicle combat.

I can't image how they can pull off much variety if it's all going to take place in new york, but then again I haven't actually visited new york so I could be entirely wrong.

User is offline   Martin 

I'm gonna spoil the ending for everyone. The gangsta drug dealers in 'New Yuk' will get the aliens hooked on crack, and then they'll become so hooked on it that they will no-longer care about defeating the humans.

• Honored Donor

And then crysis 3, the final game in the trilogy, will see the aliens using humans as slaves to make crack, and it's up to you to save the world by summoning Dr Who.

User is offline   Martin 

Then in Crysis 4, the game after the final game in the series, people use the super-suits to automate and administer a constant level of class-A narcotics. Instead of the super dash, it will be "press this button to get fucked on ketamine".

haha. It's Bioshock all over xD

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostJhect, on Dec 20 2010, 11:05 PM, said:

What i am trying to say is that final fantasy is more beautiful than crysis. It doesn't matter if the console can't have similar or better graphics. It depends on who created it and how much effort they put into it. It looks better.

No way. At least on XBox360 FFXIII sometimes looks low-resolution and even if the engine is capable of pretty sceneries (Sunleth Waterscape, Pulse etc.), the game overuses dull basements and generic hi-tech locations.

User is offline   Hank 

Would that not be a matter of taste? :lol:
Unless you use a pixel analyzer and compare the rendering system, we have classic argument realism vs fantasy. No pun intended. Fantasy (14) looks like a world you wanna play in. Crysis – well, let's see we've got Killyzone, Black oops, Calls of dusty, etc. Fantasy wins, why? Because it's Christmas and I'm always knowing into what I like. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Dec 25 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

No way. At least on XBox360 FFXIII sometimes looks low-resolution and even if the engine is capable of pretty sceneries (Sunleth Waterscape, Pulse etc.), the game overuses dull basements and generic hi-tech locations.

Did you play the game on an HD tv >.> it sounds like you didn't hehe. Anyway i don't own an xbox360.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Well I'm not the only one complaining about the XBox version's graphical quality. But still, even if looks better on PS3 (many say the difference is negligible), the game doesn't really take advantage of the engine's capabilities.

Anyways, as for the subject of the topic, I don't really care about Crysis 2 based on how boring Crysis was. Maybe I'll get it once the price drops to below 20€.

User is offline   Martin 

Who says it looks better on PS3?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Many. Google ffxiii xbox vs ps3 or something similar.

It's not only about what console it is made on. Also the ones who make the game. But hey final fantasy versus 13 is coming out. Let's see what they will show us. I think the graphics are going to be amazing. Final fantasy 13-2 is also coming out withing a year, but the graphics will likely be nearly the same as 13. Final fantasy versus 13 will likely come out in 2012.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Jan 24 2011, 12:45 PM, said:

Many. Google ffxiii xbox vs ps3 or something similar.

I meant with Crysis 2.

I came back to this topic after I played the multiplayer demo for the PC version.
And now I can announce that Crysis 2 SUCKS !!!

YUP,that's right,IT SUCKS!!! :P

First of all,the demo yells that Crysis 2 is a game made for consoles that is being ported to pcs.
At the title screen,you see the message "PRESS START".
That's right people.
The message "PRESS START" appears in a PC game,while you don't have a controller plugged at your PC.
WTF !?
THERE IS NO F#CKING START BUTTON AT MY KEYBOARD !!!!! :D

I tried to click on the message,nothing.
I pressed spacebar,nothing.
I pressed Escape,nothing.
I pressed Enter,and it finally went to the next menu.

Couldn't they just write "PRESS ENTER" ? :D

Ok,so after that I decide to check my options.
At Crysis 2 you can't customise your graphics by choosing the textures,shaders,physics etc seperately.
The only thing you can do is choose between 3 default graphics settings,with the HARDCORE (high) setting featuring textures with LESS DETAIL than Crysis Warhead's MEDIUM settings.
Yup,you read that right.
Textures of Crysis 2 reminded me too much GTA IV in both detail,palette used and style.
So no more Crysis eye candy there.

Anyway,let's move to things that matter more to the gameplay.
The FOV is the lowest I've ever saw a game have.
No Halo,no Stalker nor any other fps ever had less FOV.
The gun looks gigantic and occupies a large part of the screen,while people will pass right next to you and you won't see them not because they use the cloak power but because it's like the developers put blinkers at your character so you can't see what surrounds you.
You generally move slower,and the only way to dinstict enemies from your teammates is that their names pop over their heads AFTER you place your crosshair on them.And except that,if you are too close to somebody,the letters of his name will appear higher than your screen,meaning you won't be able to understand who is on your team or not at close quarter combat.

If all that wasn't enough the game has auto aim assist.
That's right,all the accuracy a mouse can give you is now useless.
Bullets will fly 2 times the size of your crosshair (and note this game has a big one) away from your crosshair to go and hit your enemy.

Crysis was a mediocre average game for computers with a cliche single player story,but with awesome graphics,and a somewhat decent multiplayer.
Crysis 2 has a mediocre average multiplayer which is confusing and becomes boring after minutes,and it has worse graphics than it's predecessor.

I don't know how the final game will be,but judging from the demo Crysis 2 they f#$d up the game,and it's a blow under the belt for pc gamers.
A console game poorly ported.

(But... Really ??? "Press Start???)

Oh, that sounds depressing, just what i expected xD

View PostJhect, on Mar 4 2011, 05:28 PM, said:

Oh, that sounds depressing, just what i expected xD

Yup,I'm really really depressed.
I was expecting that if Crysis 2 won't be better at the technical department than Crysis,it would at least keep some things people who played the first one liked.
But the technical department is actually worst than the first one,and things are pretty different.
Actually, let me tell you a few more things that I disliked that I didn't wrote at the other post.

At Crysis 2,you no longer join the server right after you click on its name,and you can't join a game in progress.
They created some "lobby screens" where you have to wait for other people to appear after they join the server,and after that all players have to decide the time they are ready for the game to begin.
I've been waiting 10 minutes at a lobby full of players,and the game wouldn't start because some immature pricks would spam the "delay" button every time the timer would get to the last 5 seconds.
Do you know how much frustrating it is to be in a full server and every 10 seconds watching someone delaying the game,for a total of 10 minutes ? :P

And except that,the demo felt like a beta,not a demo of the actual product.
I found 2 bugs in only a very short of time I played.
One of those bugs has your character moving to a direction by himself,without moving him yourself.
The other bug is that sometimes after you press the wheel button to bring the suit customisation menu and you choose the mode you want,the menu graphic won't get out of the screen!
Yup,it will just sit there some times,occupying what is left of the screen's space that isn't occupied by your huge gun.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 04 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

I think it's ok if a game has equal or even worse graphics than the previous game, but when the gameplay gets worse or doesn't even get better, then they fucked it up.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options