Duke4.net Forums: Did anybody ever make a lameduke mod for Duke3D? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did anybody ever make a lameduke mod for Duke3D?

I always knew about lameduke but I never found the interest to check it out too much.
I was looking at a youtube video a few minutes ago and I was really impressed by a few of the weapons that were left out or modified.
I really wonder if there's a way to get the RPG from lameduke into duke3D.
Did anybody else notice that the Duke3D RPG sprite is just a cut down version of the lameduke one, in order to take less screenspace. Because it got cut, you never get to see the rest of it.
In lame duke, the rpg was held properly and felt so much heavier and cooler and it's practically the same one as the one in the final version.
Is there a fix? Or nobody bothered until now?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, Cage made a lameduke mod recently. He released it in a somewhat unfinished state, IIRC.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

They removed the original RPG because, and it's hard to tell just by watching the video, to select it, you have to press the corresponding key to select it and actually bring it onto the screen in a lowered state, then press it again to lift it up onto your shoulder and be able to fire it. It would have been cool at first, but as the developers deduced, it would quickly get tedious having to press the button twice just to select it, not to mention the extra time it would take if you needed it in a hurry, let alone the fact it takes up a relatively large amount of the screen.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Funduke also made a mod called "LameDuke Forever" a number of years ago that was quickly nuked by 3D Realms. However, I have what I believe to be the latest version.

lduke4ever_0_02_h266.7z

Micky C, on Dec 2 2010, 06:45 PM, said:

They removed the original RPG because, and it's hard to tell just by watching the video, to select it, you have to press the corresponding key to select it and actually bring it onto the screen in a lowered state, then press it again to lift it up onto your shoulder and be able to fire it. It would have been cool at first, but as the developers deduced, it would quickly get tedious having to press the button twice just to select it, not to mention the extra time it would take if you needed it in a hurry, let alone the fact it takes up a relatively large amount of the screen.

I would have just removed the complex lifting of the RPG onto the shoulder and just left the model unchanged.
When I look at the lameduke RPG I just can't help but feel sad thinking that what we got in dn3d is a cut version of it.
I'm all for the original art pieces. When I see how something cool that I'm used to see in a form, used to have more details before I first saw it, I feel the urge to get the complete version and replace the cut version, no matter how much I loved the cut version.
To see the complete sprite of the RPG for the first time after so many years of playing duke3D, it feels like I've just seen more of something that had long stopped offering me new things to see.

What I would really love to see, is the real RPG model's they've used to take pictures for the game and turn them into animated sprites.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 02 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's funny how people LOVE games like Duke 3D and Half Life 2, but when they see what the game was originally going to look like, it's suddenly seen as 'cut down' or nowhere near as good. We can be sure as hell that DNF will be released as a cut down version of what George Broussard originally wanted.

Developers often say cutting is shipping. We begin this year with a vengeance and a chainsaw.

Micky C, on Dec 3 2010, 12:06 AM, said:

It's funny how people LOVE games like Duke 3D and Half Life 2, but when they see what the game was originally going to look like, it's suddenly seen as 'cut down' or nowhere near as good. We can be sure as hell that DNF will be released as a cut down version of what George Broussard originally wanted.

I know that SUCKS :rolleyes: But your point about people complaining about the finished game when the see the original game was going to look like, or a early beta version, I often think that it looks cooler and some differences in the designs of things, I wish were acually kept.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Cutting is necessary. Sometimes some ideas just don't fit, or you don't have the time and resources to make it fit.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Very true. I remember people being up in arms about the blue tentacle creature not making it into Half-Life 2. The final verdict from Valve was they simply couldnt get it to work and it needed to go.

Sometimes its a matter of flow, or limitation, or just simple artistic license. Its fun to sort through all the early builds of games and see what they experimented with, but most of the time what was cut was cut for a good reason and I dont blame developers for doing that. Duke Nukem 3D itself had a total change of storyline and enemy characters before it finally saw the light of day, as can be seen by LameDuke.

Captain Awesome, on Dec 4 2010, 05:44 PM, said:

Cutting is necessary. Sometimes some ideas just don't fit, or you don't have the time and resources to make it fit.

Yeah but 3DR never cut much. Only one monster got cut that I know of according too Bryan 3DR from the 3DR fourms. Another thing is that 3DR clearly had tons of resources or else they couldn't of kept going for 12 years.

They ran out of course but Gearbox shouldn't cut too much as the game was almost done when the shut down, so Gearbox better not fuck any more than they already have.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 11 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

Commando Nukem, on Dec 10 2010, 04:13 PM, said:

Very true. I remember people being up in arms about the blue tentacle creature not making it into Half-Life 2. The final verdict from Valve was they simply couldnt get it to work and it needed to go.

Sometimes its a matter of flow, or limitation, or just simple artistic license. Its fun to sort through all the early builds of games and see what they experimented with, but most of the time what was cut was cut for a good reason and I dont blame developers for doing that. Duke Nukem 3D itself had a total change of storyline and enemy characters before it finally saw the light of day, as can be seen by LameDuke.

It seems to me that DNF got through a shitload of LameDuke's until now and changed it's characters and story each time it passed through one of these stages.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   poop87 

Hendricks266, on 02 December 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

Funduke also made a mod called "LameDuke Forever" a number of years ago that was quickly nuked by 3D Realms. However, I have what I believe to be the latest version.

lduke4ever_0_02_h266.7z

I opened the 7z and it said the file is corrupted. What do I do?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

poop87, on 28 August 2011 - 06:02 AM, said:

I opened the 7z and it said the file is corrupted. What do I do?

I just downloaded it and it tests fine. Try using a different download method, such as wget or the DownThemAll! extension for Firefox.

User is offline   Man 'o War 

Hendricks266, on 28 August 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I just downloaded it and it tests fine. Try using a different download method, such as wget or the DownThemAll! extension for Firefox.

Could you tell me how to get the mod to work?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options