Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d TC, Black Shadow - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d TC, Black Shadow  "Original TC for Duke3d."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Looks like you're making considerable progress. Good luck!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostScott_AW, on Dec 14 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image
And the first mini-boss, the Guardian.

Nice job on the model/voxel!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostScott_AW, on Dec 14 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

Starting to get closer to completing the first map.

Once I figured out how its going to break down game wise, I ended up with 2 Episodes with 7 levels each.

Each of the 7 maps for the episodes will be inter-connected, possibly one map will not be.

Posted Image
A getting close to being done map, kind of looks like the USA with a octopus in the middle...

O.O Looks fanatastic!!!!! what a huge map... Waiting to see this finished

This post has been edited by Norvak: 15 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Started working on the first town area, created a roof model for the edging of the roof. Needs a little more touching up on the edges but makes the roof more roofish.

User is offline   Lunick 

Im really starting to like this, keep up the good work.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's neat.
I'm not sure if you meant for the model to lighter than the rest of the roof, but under a parallaxed sky sprites, and I'm assuming voxels, take the shade of the ceiling, not the shade you give to them. To 'fix' this issue, just make sure these sprites are in their own little sector, and make them unparallaxed.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Dec 20 2010, 06:39 PM, said:

That's neat.
I'm not sure if you meant for the model to lighter than the rest of the roof, but under a parallaxed sky sprites, and I'm assuming voxels, take the shade of the ceiling, not the shade you give to them. To 'fix' this issue, just make sure these sprites are in their own little sector, and make them unparallaxed.

Voxels tend to behave differently as I've been finding out, they don't seem to take sector shading and I have to manually shade them. That and their fade out from visibility seems to be less, but I might be able to correct it. Recently I made the area under the roof a seperate sector to create a shadow underneath, however the models still are lighter in general and when you back up.

I made a video that compares Classic Render in Eduke and JFDuke, and Polymost in JFDuke, but not 32 bit modes in EDuke because my computer I was using lacked the proper Opengl Drivers.

I'll try do one that includes that too, because there are some big differences.

They all render voxels (except 8bit polymost for some reason) but the results of there shading can depend on the render.

That and since I use a lot of models, using anything but classic render requires more processing to handle the voxels.

Deeper Though brought up the idea of converting voxel models into 3d models, which should be very possible, but I'm not sure about poly limits. Technically my Strip2Vox program can create models, just not in the correct format. I should be able to lift the algorithm from it to create a Vox2Model program. Might have less visual issues, and look more like cube voxels instead of splatted squares.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Whoa whoa whoa 8 bit polymost? Just to clear things up that's only a beta renderer Ken used to test out some algorithms for drawing the correct perspective iirc. The renderer is so dodgy that it has been taken out of eduke32 along with another beta renderer that drew everything as flat colours. They should never be used for actually playing the game. If you find that mode in eduke32 then it's SERIOUSLY outdated, or if you've found it in jfduke then it should be ignored.

I'm looking forward the seeing the comparison video http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I believe the shading issue can be fixed using CON script so that you don't have to shade them individually. I can't think of a way to fix the visibility problem with script, though.

View PostMicky C, on Dec 21 2010, 09:28 AM, said:

Whoa whoa whoa 8 bit polymost? Just to clear things up that's only a beta renderer Ken used to test out some algorithms for drawing the correct perspective iirc. The renderer is so dodgy that it has been taken out of eduke32 along with another beta renderer that drew everything as flat colours. They should never be used for actually playing the game. If you find that mode in eduke32 then it's SERIOUSLY outdated, or if you've found it in jfduke then it should be ignored.

I'm looking forward the seeing the comparison video http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Oh no, I was checking between JFDuke and Eduke.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HqRMIv8nvy0

Here's the first comparison video, I'll have to make another one on my desktop so I can fully show the range of differences when using EDuke's 32bit mode (not polymer) Currently I was only able to test 8bit and Polymost in JFDuke.

In classic the clipping and shade differences is minor, clipping gets fixed in 32bit mode but scaling is lost.

Bugs aside, here's the doors in action and some moderately decorated houses.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WzAXt-Xwe5M

This post has been edited by Scott_AW: 22 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

DT's on a bit of vacation so I took on some basic CON editing.

Added breakable objects, replaced some SHARDS and the MONEY sprites with voxels.

Also a new setup for waterfalls, with water particles and misting.

Bumped up gibs on enemy deaths as well, they drop things as well as pots and barrels.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6V_n-cbI7CE

With the exception of the GIBs and blood pool, pretty much all the graphics are original. I just made the GIBs and such darker/black and colorless.

Not featured are opening doors and some new interior stuff.

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks really cool!
LOVE VOXELS

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Good job on the breakable objects (love the destructible trees) new voxels, etc.

I think the waterfalls could look a lot better, though. If you want I can add the waterfall effect from WGR2, which looks pretty nice.

View PostDeeperThought, on Dec 28 2010, 01:42 PM, said:

Good job on the breakable objects (love the destructible trees) new voxels, etc.

I think the waterfalls could look a lot better, though. If you want I can add the waterfall effect from WGR2, which looks pretty nice.

That would be fine, I kind of just winged it on the waterfall effect. Send me a sample map so I figure out how to set it up when you can.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Is that a turtle?

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Dec 28 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

Is that a turtle?

Yes, deadly turtles.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hahaha, that is awesome.

Posted Image

The first batch of monsters are fully modeled, just the final boss needs her animations.

I plan on getting some neutral NPCs and the player's models done next, hopefully.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Looks great and stylish. Love it!

With the aid of an extended palette table from Fatmancraig and extensive palette swapping...that and a recolor to the default brick color...we have multi-colored housing!

So far only one building has a finished interior, and its not really finished until I churn out some chairs and tables. I may create a few other decorative pieces for looks and smashing.

Added wall mounted wine barrels, you can smash these and wine and wood pops out and the barrel proceeds to drip. I tried to get a pool to spawn under it but it wasn't having it. Also for some reason my splash animation doesn't show for the drips.

I haven't done anything to the drip object, just what was there when it was Duke3d's, but now I think I may code my own at this point.

I also decided to complete gut the center of the second map and start over. Mostly because it didn't look too good with so much open space and it was beginning to chop at the frame rate. So I'm being a little more cautious in my mapping sizes now.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Some outside shots.

Posted Image
Needs some tables and chairs in there...

Posted ImagePosted Image
Wine barrels in your wall....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options