Duke4.net Forums: [Re-Release, check first post] Supply Depot - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Re-Release, check first post] Supply Depot

User is offline   CruX 

A couple of weeks before I moved up to Dallas I started working on a snow/high tech map. I guess something about the move made me forget all about it, which is weird since I already had all of the level design done. I just recently dug it up on my old rig this morning, placed some weapons and enemies, and I guess now it's ready for a release. I'd call it a beta, but I don't really intend to work on it anymore after this, so just consider it somewhat (but not thoroughly) tested.

Here are some screens...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you might be able to tell, the map has a little bit of new art in it. The download includes a modified #13 art file, an ogg track and an altered user.con, which'll replace Hollywood Holocaust. It's adjusted for the different difficulty levels. You start out by a dropship. The basic jist is to get to the other end of the level and pull a switch that will open the dropship door. Once inside the dropship, you'll be able to end the level.

EDIT: Forgot the template. That's attached now, if anyone's interested.
EDIT, EDIT: I have no clue how it happened, but I've just given it another playthrough, and one of the crucial doors had all its tags wiped for some reason. The second upload had the wrong starting position, so it's been uploaded a third time.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 22 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Gave this a try, interesting. Can you make a couple place secrets as they were kinda hard to find.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Looks very interesting. I'll check it out asap.

Edit: My first post in three months... Wtf?

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 20 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Playing now!

User is offline   CruX 

In case the title's been missed, check the first post. The original upload a had pretty nasty flaw.

View PostThe Dukenator, on Nov 20 2010, 01:26 PM, said:

Gave this a try, interesting. Can you make a couple place secrets as they were kinda hard to find.

Yeah, a few of the stashes are way less obvious than others. I'll consider it, but the map is really just meant to be straightforward.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 20 2010, 03:10 PM, said:

Looks very interesting. I'll check it out asap.

If you haven't read the template already, you should know that alot of your stuff inspired this map, so I look forward to hearing what you have to say, for better or worse.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 20 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

• Music Producer

It´s good to see new good maps these days, i know this map is very influenced on Mikko´s maps, Lanna Deones´ and other, but i felt as if i had played this map before, u know the snow surroundings, the high tech buildings, the indoor depots, etc. The gameplay is great though.

SPOILER! : Oh and u should put a clue so we know what thing is opened by that final switch imo, maybe a cam or something reffering the ship

Anyways it´s a very enjoyable map.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 21 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

User is offline   CruX 

View PostNorvak, on Nov 20 2010, 11:44 PM, said:

It´s good to see new good maps these days, i know this map is very influenced on Mikko´s maps, Lanna Deones´ and other, but i felt as if i had played this map before, u know the snow surroundings, the high tech buildings, the indoor depots, etc. The gameplay is great though.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to sell the map as being a really groundbreaking experience, in fact it's quite simple. I forget what all was going through my head when I started designing it, but I did originally have a con-hack that gave the level mission objectives, and the drop ship door didn't open till all the objectives were completed. I decided to get rid of that when I rediscovered it, though. Figured it'd be best if the map was compatible with stuff like DukePlus.

User is offline   Jblade 

Nice work! Just played it and it's a solid experience, took me about 8 minutes all together. It's too bad you cut the mission objective things, but I can see they probably weren't super integral to the map in anycase and more people will play it if it doesn't have custom cons (kinda sad when you think about it but DP is incredibly popular now)

User is offline   CruX 

Heh, it was a trip in Nuclear Showdown, too. I've always wanted to make a miniature TC for that mod because I think it's really sad that it slipped by the wayside, but I've never quite had the time.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 21 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

• Music Producer

View PostEmericaSkater, on Nov 21 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to sell the map as being a really groundbreaking experience, in fact it's quite simple. I forget what all was going through my head when I started designing it, but I did originally have a con-hack that gave the level mission objectives, and the drop ship door didn't open till all the objectives were completed. I decided to get rid of that when I rediscovered it, though. Figured it'd be best if the map was compatible with stuff like DukePlus.

Btw i didn´t play the map with yours cons, i think both new textures and cons are unecesary to play this map neither dukeplus. It´s a good map by it self.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Enjoyable, short map. Well put together and designed. The background scenery gave it nice depth. The only complaints I can muster would be the already mentioned view screen needed at the last switch, and the bit redundant room full of crates and shelves decor.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostNorvak, on Nov 21 2010, 06:59 AM, said:

Btw i didn´t play the map with yours cons, i think both new textures and cons are unecesary to play this map neither dukeplus. It´s a good map by it self.

I'm flattered, though I do think I should mention that I hardly wanted any part of the level to rely on new art tiles. They're just there to help achieve the mood I was going for. Also, the user con that's included is only there to get the track to work :blink:

View PostForge, on Nov 21 2010, 08:10 AM, said:

Enjoyable, short map. Well put together and designed. The background scenery gave it nice depth. The only complaints I can muster would be the already mentioned view screen needed at the last switch, and the bit redundant room full of crates and shelves decor.

Thanks! The newest (and final) version is attached now. A viewscreen for the dropship has been added, and I took care of a couple of other minor cosmetic odds and ends.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Liked the map, review is up!

User is offline   tryhard 

View PostJames, on Nov 21 2010, 11:36 AM, said:

Nice work! Just played it and it's a solid experience, took me about 8 minutes all together.

It took me about 3 times longer than James :blink: but i second anything else mentioned above.
I think the atmosphere of this map is great and only at one point i wish i had the possibilty to explore the surroundings a bit more.
Here: http://img823.images.../130/depotj.jpg
Forgive me but this part of the map just makes me want to get outside.

This post has been edited by tryhard: 24 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 23 2010, 01:44 PM, said:

Liked the map, review is up!

Thanks, Mikko! I really didn't think the map would score that high, so this is one hell of an honor!

View Posttryhard, on Nov 24 2010, 03:42 PM, said:

It took me about 3 times longer than James :blink: but i second anything else mentioned above.
I think the atmosphere of this map is great and only at one point i wish i had the possibilty to explore the surroundings a bit more.
Here: http://img823.images.../130/depotj.jpg
Forgive me but this part of the map just makes me want to get outside.

Heh, I kind of got lazy at some points of the map, though the part you're mentioning in particular actually has to do with the old mission objectives. Originally there were no key-cards. The map was relatively non-linear, and opening that big storage door was one of the mission objectives, so it was part scenery, part objective.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I finally got around to playing this, and it is a fine little map. It looked good, flowed well, and I don't have many complaints.

I do think you were too stingy on health near the beginning of the map. When you come up from the water, there are monsters shooting at you, and you can't get any health until the end of the battle. I got killed by the pigcop firing down on me from the ledge behind a couple of times before I knew where he was. If you put one large health at the very beginning before the water, or even under the water, that would fix it.

There's also a visual glitch if you play using Polymer. There's a doorway that goes to the room with the switch that opens the door revealing the blue key and the tanks. The doorway looks like the skybox in Polymer, but when you walk through it it goes to the room.

User is offline   MetHy 

Just played it.

I think you didn't need to use a new tile, pretty much everything you've used could have been replaced by original Duke3D textures; but at least the extra textures did fit with the rest and nothing felt out of place (which is often the case with custom tiles).

I also couldn't tell what you changed with that new user.con.

I don't have anything else to add really.
It's a good map.
Very good health/ammo ratio.
The only "flaw" of it was the backtracking which felt a bit off and kind of killed the feeling of progression.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options