Duke4.net Forums: Disturbing Maximum PC article on DNF. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disturbing Maximum PC article on DNF.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

http://www.maximumpc...le/DNF?page=0,1

Here is an article with cool new screenshots and shit, but also has some bad news. The worst of them being:

Brian Martel on maximum pc article:

"So here’s a game that’s been being developed for the PC with no mind for that kind of thing (consoles). And now you go “Hey, by the way, you have to fit in this memory and these restrictions!” So that’s a new burden for those guys, and we’ve got a lot of expertise there. So we’re putting a lot of effort toward that. "

HELL NO!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T BE DOING! NOW WE GOT OFFICIAL WORD THAT THE GAME IS BEING DUMBED DOWN.

This is a friggin sad day for PC gamers and DNF fans.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 21 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

Wow finally screenshots...you know what? Exactly the same boring ones every magazine on this planet got. And even then they didn't get to manage to release them in a proper resolution.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I like the screens and I don't bitch about that. Finally some good Hires screens. But Dumbing down the game for consoles is really disturbing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Are you freaking kidding me? I hope they just mean dumbing down the PC version for consoles rather than dumbing down the game for everything.

I dont see any screenshots, where are they?

View PostDavoX, on Nov 20 2010, 08:00 PM, said:

I like the screens and I don't bitch about that. Finally some good Hires screens. But Dumbing down the game for consoles is really disturbing.

Funny thing is that these screenshots have console resolution...

I think the context may be skewed a bit. It could mean anything from making the game a little less pretty to make it run better on consoles, or maybe it was an indirect reference to the 2-weapon system. We don't even know what the mentioned "restrictions" are.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Well maybe I did overreact, but still it worries me.

As you all know I work in the industry so I understand Brian talking about fitting a game into a certain amount of memory or space, it IS really difficult. But still, my heart is stronger than my reason ,and my heart wants DNF untouched and the full experience of it.

View PostDavoX, on Nov 20 2010, 11:58 AM, said:

Well maybe I did overreact, but still it worries me.

As you all know I work in the industry so I understand Brian talking about fitting a game into a certain amount of memory or space, it IS really difficult. But still, my heart is stronger than my reason ,and my heart wants DNF untouched and the full experience of it.

You are overreacting.
Think of it this way. Neither me nor you nor anybody here, knows how DNF looked in it's entirety.
Besides the leaked screenshots and few Jace Hall shit videos, we didn't see anything about the game.
So why would you be scared if he said that the game is going to be dumbed down to work for consoles?
Did you actually expect that DNF will be the first game to have 2 separate versions, one for pc and one for consoles?
Keep in mind that even 3dr worked at a 360 version, so the game was developed with 360 hardware in mind to begin with.
Crysis, was the last high budget fps game that was built around pc hardware and features. Every other fps game made since then, has been made with console limitations. Actually no, valve also makes proper pc games but besides updating source, they haven't replaced their engine with a new one.
IMHO, valve is the last dev studio that can make a proper pc game that has a console and powerful modding tools. The rest are just encapsulated assembly line developers that like to deliver games that are more like a plastic soldier statue than a rubber action figure!

So with that said, I don't know why are you being so shocked at what he said? You will never know what was changed and cut from the game anyway.
Anything they release now, will be the final product in our eyes. The absolute best decision when you make movies and games is to refrain from telling your fans, what the movie/game was supposed to be.
If people love your movie/game and you show them how the game/movie was supposed to be in the first place, there's a huge chance that all of your fans will find the original being even more amazing than the final product.
Look at hl2, people loved it and after they saw the RTB( Raising The Bar) book and saw all that alpha media and the old story behind hl2, they started to fully hate the final hl2 and actually try to remake hl2 following the book and trying to make it like it was supposed to be.

Duke Nukem Forever has been in quite a few different unreleased shapes and styles until now and I'm pretty sure that some sucked ass while others might have been much cooler than what we'll get in 2011.
The only good thing that can be done about that, in order to ease our head ache, is to simply lie to us and tell us that DNF wasn't changed too much.

I think Randy already said too much.
Telling us that they've changed the EDF models into more realistic soldiers and removed the futuristic sf models with halo like helmets, is already puzzling me.
I think the EDF that 3DR made for this last version of the game, looked like this
Posted Image

And Gearbox changed them to what was seen at pax.
So the soldier int he above pic is probably replaced by realistic looking soldiers now.

That's one thing but what caught my attention in that interview was Randy's response to Duke Begins!
Did anybody else try to decrypt what he's saying there?
Why are the Duke Nukem fans not supposed to hear more about Duke Nukem Begins?
He kept saying that telling the entire story on Duke Nukem Begins would not help him nor the Duke Nukem fans...
What does he mean by "HELP"?
While reading his answer, I couldn't help but feel like he was desperately trying to avoid the Duke Begins subject in order not to make some major spoilers to us DNF fans?
I think Duke Nukem Begins is somehow very linked to DNF... More linked than we can imagine.
Talking about Duke Begins could possibly spoil DNF's story or concept?

I was also shocked to see Randy admit that Gearbox was involved with DNF since 2007. That came as a real shock to me.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostWilliam Gee, on Nov 21 2010, 04:47 AM, said:

I dont see any screenshots, where are they?

There's more than one page of the review, the page the link goes to is the second one for some reason, which doesn't have any pics. Most of the screenshots are on the last page but there are others scattered throughout.

User is offline   Green 

I do believe he was referring to dumbing down the game for consoles as memory and other restrictions wouldn't really apply to PC.

So here’s a game that’s been being developed for the PC with no mind for that kind of thing. And now you go “Hey, by the way, you have to fit in this memory and these restrictions!

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 20 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, you may need to cool your jets a little, Davo. You're making yourself look like a bit of a twit by jumping to conclusions. Being worried's fine, just make your reason make your heart sit the fuck out with this stuff.

Edit: Mr. Deviance, they said they changed the EDF soldiers because they felt too Halo-y compared to Duke. Geerbawx just made them a bit more realistic to keep with the "Fun House Mirror" world 3DR was trying with DNF.

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 20 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

View PostMr. Green, on Nov 20 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

I do believe he was referring to dumbing down the game for consoles as memory and other restrictions wouldn't really apply to PC.

The only affordable way to dumb down the game from pc to consoles is to work at small things like prop numbers on scree, A.I number on screen, lod, texture detail, 3d model detail lod, number of sounds per scene, physics etc.
That being said, I really don't expect them to go and remake some pc oriented maps, just so they fit on the consoles.
If they would hypothetically start dumbing down the entire map, then I do see a problem for pc gamers.
There's a universally accepted and applied rule, which results in all games,forcefully being developed to look identical across all 3 platforms.
The only platform that doesn't respect the multiplatform rule is the wii. The wii is the only platform that has it's own separate game versions built from scratch for it.
If DNF was such an incredibly pc oriented game in the last build that 3dr made and everything including the levels were built with the mouse and keyboard in mind, then gearbox has a very nasty job to do besides polishing the game.
They would actually have to remake some levels from scratch, to work better on consoles, both for performance and gameplay reasons.
If that's the case, then you should be sure that we will get teh console oriented maps for pc too, since Randy doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that releases a greater version of the game on pc than on the consoles.

most of the best games could have been even better if it did have to be dumbed down to a certain amount of space. still they remain some of the best games in history. to me it did not sound like it would make a big change to the game that we will see. the only game ive seen that got really messed up because it was too big so that it needed to be dumbed was final fantasy 13. i actually cant remember any other games that suffered big time because of that.
this does not change anything. dont worry about it

This post has been edited by Jhect: 20 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Ok I do apologize for jumping fast to conclusions, I admit my mistake. Sorry people. I guess that part really worried me but I can be more hopeful now that it's only for consoles.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I think everything will be fine, they're just talking about the restrictions they have to work around on the Consoles, for the console ports of the game. The PC version, they've said before, would be left alone gameplay (With the exception of the 2-weapon aspect 3DR put in place.) and texture-quality wise, etc.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 20 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

I think this is a perfect time to quote George Broussard and bring everybody to earth in this topic and make them understand what's the official plan and goal behind DNF, once and for all.
No bullshit, no corporatist stuff, no PR crap, just the pure and empty truth openly told by none other than George Broussard.

George Broussard, on Sep 07 2010, 5:56 PM, said:

We were trying to make the game feel more modern and less retro and dated. The world has moved on and consoles do dominate, and games like Halo, COD and others have established new FPS standards. There was always more than enough unique content in the game to make it stand out, regardless of weapon systems.

The goal, imo, was to try to appeal to new gamers, who had never played a Duke game, but have played other modern standards, while allowing the game's content to appeal to the old fans.

You can't please everyone :blink: but when you're dealing with potentially 75% of the market playing a game on a console, there are some obvious decisions to be made and being stubborn and not adapting to new gaming realities is silly.
It's a lot of extra work to support two systems. The best solution is to have a unified system and interface across all platforms, which is possible

So as you can see, this game is absolutely made with Halo and COD fans in mind and it's not for the old Duke Nukem 3d fans at all.
The only thing that will be common to the Duke 3D fans, will be content, as for gameplay, it will be completely halo and cod oriented and made for consoles and kids!

Voila, you can't get more information than that.
No more fucking speculations no more bull shit, this is the entire and empty truth for you!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 November 2010 - 02:21 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on Nov 21 2010, 07:06 AM, said:

So as you can see, this game is absolutely made with Halo and COD fans in mind and it's not for the old Duke Nukem 3d fans at all.

Well now you're doing what I did :blink:

He said "Please the new gamers and the old ones" So I think there will be a middle ground on this...

Hey, the game already looks friggin different than COD, it was even stated that it's a 3x times longer campaign than MW2. Also don't forget interactivity. No matter how much halo or COD they put in the game, the insane interactivity is something that they can't take away from us, it's already there and can't be touched. Plus there's the nostalgia factor. Even if people outside the fans don't like it, well, the true fans will. I know, kinda egotistical but who cares :blink:

View PostDavoX, on Nov 20 2010, 10:35 AM, said:

Here is an article with cool new screenshots and shit, but also has some bad news. The worst of them being:

"So here’s a game that’s been being developed for the PC with no mind for that kind of thing (consoles). And now you go “Hey, by the way, you have to fit in this memory and these restrictions!” So that’s a new burden for those guys, and we’ve got a lot of expertise there. So we’re putting a lot of effort toward that (Dumbing down the game). "

HELL NO!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T BE DOING! NOW WE GOT OFFICIAL WORD THAT THE GAME IS BEING DUMBED DOWN.

So there dumbing down the game for consoles :blink: shit! I was expecting a good console port.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 21 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Expect nothing. You won't be let down that way.

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostDavoX, on Nov 20 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

"So here’s a game that’s been being developed for the PC with no mind for that kind of thing (consoles). And now you go “Hey, by the way, you have to fit in this memory and these restrictions!” So that’s a new burden for those guys, and we’ve got a lot of expertise there. So we’re putting a lot of effort toward that (Dumbing down the game). "

That specifically implies dumbing it down on the console , not on PC , but if he meant for PC , it's was probably sarcastic.

DID YOU TYPE """ ( Dumbind down the game) """ , because if that was from the article , it's no longer there :/

This post has been edited by Stewox: 21 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

User is offline   zwieback 

you guys are funny :blink:

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostDavoX, on Nov 20 2010, 10:35 AM, said:

You obviously didn't understand the point he was trying to make. "

So here’s a game that’s been being developed for the PC with no mind for that kind of thing (consoles)"

This literally means, the pc version was made with no mind paid to consoles... this is good news. The guys porting it are the ones saying "we have to fit in this memory and these restrictions." Which is true, because -- that's reality -- consoles have limits. This means the texture resolutions and what have you will in fact have to be lower to fit within memory limitations. It means porting it is harder than a game that was designed to be multiplatform.

How is this disturbing news?

• Honored Donor

I thought that the demo at PAX was running on an xbox, so that means the graphics can't get any worse than we've already seen for consoles right? I'm a PC gamer and I'm hoping that it'll all look even better on PC than the leaked footage we've got.

Or at least xbox controllers, not sure whether they actually used xboxs or PCs for the demo.

User is offline   Green 

They used PCs with Xbox 360 controllers connected to them at PAX and the other demo events. In my opinion the graphics are actually pretty good. Not sure how the console versions graphics will turn out but with the cam footage from the demo events and these screenshots the PC version is looking pretty damn good.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 21 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

I can't get over how much I love that pic on the left. You have no idea.

i love the one to the right. its LOVELY

User is offline   Jinroh 

Thanks Mr. Green. ^^ Looks like I have some new wallpapers.

View PostJinroh, on Nov 21 2010, 07:37 PM, said:

Thanks Mr. Green. ^^ Looks like I have some new wallpapers.

In that awkward res they are hardly wallpapers tbh.

• Honored Donor

Well I made the Cycloid Emperor one my new facebook profile pic :blink:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options