Duke4.net Forums: Library 2 WIP - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Library 2 WIP  "spiritual successor to my last map (nothing to do with libraries)"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This is my third map, it'll be polymer only, and like my previous map will have many alternate routes. It essentially starts off in a large canyon area, where my philosophy on details is 'less is more' but it'll be detailed enough. Then the player enters and fights through an abandoned mine.

In the past 2 weeks since I started this project, I've noticed a distinct lack of new maps being announced in this section, so I'll be generous with the screenies:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's early enough in the project that I'm open to advice and friendly criticism, or just a comment really.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

Interesting. Think you could have a beta map available so we can test it out?

• Honored Donor

I haven't got so much of a beta, more like an early alpha. It's got about 4 minutes of gameplay if you know where you're going, and even more if you feel like exploring the canyon even more, but as of yet there's no rewards for exploring. I'll send you a pm with the map later today, but I strongly recommend most people wait for the final version.

Impressive. Blue key card took awhile to find, but other than that no problems.

• Honored Donor

I'm also now working on this map as an official school project so I can work on it in class now until the end of 1st semester next year :blink:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on Nov 15 2010, 01:22 PM, said:

I'm also now working on this map as an official school project so I can work on it in class now until the end of 1st semester next year :blink:

I guess this means there won't be any strippers in your school library.

User is offline   Awesomebob 

Love the lighting in the second and third pic! Keep up the good work :blink:

View PostMicky C, on Nov 15 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

I'll hold onto the alpha for now. Just give me an updated version later on.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 15 2010, 02:18 PM, said:

I guess this means there won't be any strippers in your school library.

What kind of library do you go to?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

The pubic library apparently.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 18 November 2010 - 03:40 AM

• Honored Donor

Maybe I'll include a small library in the map after. Unfortunately I've got exams next week so I won't be able to work on it much for that time, then I've got one or two weeks in which I'll make a lot of progress, but after that I'm going to France for 5 weeks and won't be back until next year. But like I said regardless of what happens with DNF I'll definitely have this finished by the middle of next year for my school project, but probably much earlier.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

You should add more slopes and child sectors around and next to all the canyon walls to make the terrain more realistic. It's a bit too blocky now.

• Honored Donor

As for the outside terrain, I'm not going to make it much more complicated than this:
Posted Image

The problem is I'm running low on inspiration for this map, I might have to change direction to keep my interest up.

• Honored Donor

Posted Image

I decided to make the outdoor area more complicated :blink:

Anyway have an update: I'm not going to spoil things with more pictures, but I've been working on it pretty solidly for the past 2 days now that exams are over, and several new areas have been constructed, puzzles and triggered events have been put in place, it's all starting to come together and I have a vision of what I want the final thing to look like. Architectually, there isn't going to be a lot of effort put into small, consistent details, since more of an emphasis is going to be placed on exploration and atmosphere.
There will be 2 almost completely different ways to finish the map, such that it will almost be two maps in one.

On another matter regarding this map, I desperately need help with figuring out how to make a water current so that it's dormant at map start and can be toggled to move by a switch. I've tried everything and the water current always starts off already moving at map start.

Ok maybe you can have one screenshot. This is the level of detail I'm aiming for the majority of the map.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 28 November 2010 - 02:24 AM

I'm liking the look of this, I wouldn't mind knowing how you got that wireframe view.

I'll poke around with currents the next time I am in mapster (later today I expect) and let you know if I figure anything out, I have an idea that may work if the switch won't, this idea involves placing a touchpalate at the map start that will switch the current off, though this could be a problem as I don't know what else you are triggering.

• Honored Donor

I'm triggering Demolition of walls so I can't do a double trigger like you're proposing :blink: and I thought the conveyor belt affect wasn't compatible with touchplates, thanks for the offer though.

As for the wireframe, you have to get the latest mapster32 it is awesome! Helixhorned put in a sideview mode (toggled with F3) which is what you're seeing. You can rotate the view with Q and W but it's still experimental and there could be bugs. It looks cool, but I can't seem to do anything in that mode except look around. I'm guessing it's some kind of precursor for other features like true ROR but I'm not sure, I'd love to hear what helixhorned has to say about it.
Another huge improvement is that now you can copy sectors directly into a room without having to make a null space cut-out! It'll save so much time!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Wow! This new mapster is awesome!!!!!

BTW nice shots Micky, a shame i can´t play with Polymer...

This post has been edited by Norvak: 28 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

• Music Producer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Dec 1 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

Unfortunately, your strength is polymer lighting and without it your levels look quite empty. This is not a good thing due to how poorly optimized Polymer is which kinda puts a stop to the idea of creating levels just for Polymer. I'm responding to this thread now because I was finally about to give this level a proper try (I got a brand new computer yesterday) but it runs just as bad as before :blink: Pretty shocking if you ask me.

@ Micky C: U should improve the level design for those that can´t play with Polymer by disabling poly from time to time when u´re mapping, and so u could focus on general layout instead of just focus on how the things look better with polymer lights imo...

This post has been edited by Norvak: 01 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

• Honored Donor

Thanks for drawing that to my attention Norvak, I wouldn't have seen it since the thread was so far down. I just can't bring myself around to do sector shading for this map, it's too big, at least for someone with my experience. Somewhat ironically this map could be considered emptier than my last map in terms of the level of detail in each room in compromise for (hopefully) better layout and gameplay.

I do believe though that performance will be somewhat better in this map, at least indoors. I'm using far less spot lights in favour of point lights, this map is less action oriented so less enemies - higher framerate, the indoor rooms are quite hidden from eachother in comparison to my last map which had large areas and amounts and a huge amount of sectors visible in a small space. I find it dishearting that some people such as yourself can't run polymer, which is a shame as it runs fine with lights on my computer. Can you not run it at all or just not handle many lights?

Perhaps when I'm nearing completion I'll open it up to a few beta testers to provide feedback on performance and gamplay.

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on Dec 2 2010, 06:52 AM, said:

Can you not run it at all or just not handle many lights?

It´s just my graphic card does not support this feature :rolleyes:

View PostNorvak, on Dec 2 2010, 01:00 PM, said:

It´s just my graphic card does not support this feature :rolleyes:

My doesn't support it either. Right now, I have a TNT2 since I have some issue with GeForce 3 & FX5200 cards not working right.

• Honored Donor

I'll try to make it so that it won't be pitch black indoors without lights, so that at least people on polymost can still see where they're going even if they don't have lights.

• Honored Donor

Bump.

I've run out of inspiration and to a degree, motivation for this map. I'm definitely going to finish it and release it within the next 6 months, but the length and quality is what I'm worrying about.

So far this is the size of the map relative to the size of the grid. At the moment texture use is repetitive and details are fairly low. Has anyone got any suggestions or tips of any kind? I could organize some kind of limited alpha release if anyone's interested in helping.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on Jan 24 2011, 08:17 AM, said:

At the moment texture use is repetitive and details are fairly low. Has anyone got any suggestions or tips of any kind?

I say forget about trying to expand the map. Focus on detailing. It looks empty already, a problem you'd only exacerbate if you were to add more locations. If you're in no rush to finish it, just open the editor once a day (even once a week would be enough if you're going for the six-month goal) and start adding little details there and there.

• Honored Donor

Quick update: this project is not dead, it's very much still in the works. I'm still working on it for a school project as well.

I've decided to paste the final boss battle from another map I was working on a while back, of course I'll have to make a few visual changes. Forgive the quality, I couldn't be bothered opening up eduke.
[Posted Image

Don't expect it to be on par with most maps being released today by veterans, but I'll give it my best shot. If you make your expectations really, really, really low, you might actually have a really good time :P

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

Can we get link to video?

• Honored Donor

It's the final boss fight so I'd rather not spoil it.

oh ok :P when will we be able to play it?

• Honored Donor

This map will get released after Duke Nukem Forever some time. In fact it'll probably be postponed a bit while I'm playing DNF.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options