Duke4.net Forums: How to create fog in Eduke32 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to create fog in Eduke32

User is offline   blizzart 

For a new project I just wanted to know how I use fog in Mapster/Eduke32?

Do I create this effect by coding in the con files or is it a feature of Mapster and Eduke?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ignore the fact that it's on the DEF page, giving the sector floor pals of 26-29 will change the colour of the fog respectively http://wiki.eduke32....Language#fogpal

View PostMicky C, on Nov 12 2010, 09:38 AM, said:

Ignore the fact that it's on the DEF page, giving the sector floor pals of 26-29 will change the colour of the fog respectively http://wiki.eduke32....Language#fogpal

Oh, I missed that. Thank you!

User is offline   Awesomebob 

Couple queries about this fog:

1) Can I get rid of this effect?
Posted Image
Idle, just looking forward
Posted Image
Same spot, same level, firing a weapon.

The fog completely disappears when you fire a gun. Is there a way to keep light and gunfire from removing this effect? I have no idea how it works, so I don't know if it's a rendering thing or what.

2) (more for DT since it's his mod and funky sprite) There's no snow in those pics, even though I have the weather sprite placed, pallet set to 12 and extra set to -32 (heavy snow). Does the weather sprite not work with the fog effect?

View PostAwesomebob, on Nov 15 2010, 03:37 PM, said:

2) (more for DT since it's his mod and funky sprite) There's no snow in those pics, even though I have the weather sprite placed, pallet set to 12 and extra set to -32 (heavy snow). Does the weather sprite not work with the fog effect?

Everytime I want to make snow or rain with DP I get the same issue.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The only way to prevent fog from disappearing when you fire a weapon is to change the weapons so they don't flash the level. When they flash the level, it does so be setting visibility to full. Since fog in this engine is just limited visibility, that clears the fog. There might be a CON hack for preventing the weapons from flashing, but I'm not sure.

As for DukePlus, rain and snow have nothing whatsoever to do with fog. If you have set the weather sprite correctly and snow is not falling, it's probably because the ceiling is not parallaxed. Weather only happens in outdoor areas.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 15 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I would like to see a depth of field effect in eduke32. :blink:

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 15 2010, 09:15 AM, said:

The only way to prevent fog from disappearing when you fire a weapon is to change the weapons so they don't flash the level. When they flash the level, it does so be setting visibility to full. Since fog in this engine is just limited visibility, that clears the fog. There might be a CON hack for preventing the weapons from flashing, but I'm not sure.

As for DukePlus, rain and snow have nothing whatsoever to do with fog. If you have set the weather sprite correctly and snow is not falling, it's probably because the ceiling is not parallaxed. Weather only happens in outdoor areas.

Crap :blink: It there a way to get the effect with out parallaxing the ceiling? Parallaxing the ceiling really kills the the fog effect.

actually... I wouldn't mind some opinions on the appearance of parallaxed sky + fog + snow. After looking at it, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.
Posted Image
No parallax.
Posted Image
Prallaxed
Posted Image
Parllaxed in game with snow

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 15 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If you want to stop the whole flashing thing and you know how to code some simple stuff then you need to look at this.

http://wiki.eduke32....i/WEAPONx_FLAGS
Bit 256 is the one you will be interested in.

Thanks for the tip Commander. Any idea where I'd put that? I've gone cross-eyed reading the wiki and I'm still clueless as to where I would put that.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAwesomebob, on Nov 15 2010, 03:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip Commander. Any idea where I'd put that? I've gone cross-eyed reading the wiki and I'm still clueless as to where I would put that.

Be careful when setting weapon flags in DukePlus or any other mod because the flags may have been modified already. The safest way would be to add the flag using orvar, and do this while the game is running. A simple but inefficient way would be to put the commands in the APLAYER actor.

In DukePlus, open PLAYERPLUS.CON and find the first instance of "state kludges" and add the commands to the beginning of that state. The result should look like this:

state kludges

// start no weapon flash hack
orvar WEAPON1_FLAGS 256 // pistol
orvar WEAPON2_FLAGS 256 // shotgun
orvar WEAPON3_FLAGS 256 // chaingun
orvar WEAPON4_FLAGS 256 // rpg
orvar WEAPON6_FLAGS 256 // shrinker
orvar WEAPON7_FLAGS 256 // devastator
orvar WEAPON9_FLAGS 256 // freezer
orvar WEAPON11_FLAGS 256 // expander
// end no weapon flash hack

// the rest of the state below as it was before...
ifvare moretalk YES // and so on...

Thanks so much DT, worked like a charm. Now my dark and mysterious level can remain dark and mysterious :blink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options