Duke4.net Forums: DNF on 360 or PS3 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF on 360 or PS3

User is offline   Raziel 

Hi all, I'm planning to get DNF for the PC anyway because of the mods and everything else which is inevitable to come out. But here's an interesting question for those that own both of the home consoles, which will you get?

360 or PS3 version... I mean, my take on it is that it will probably perform better on the 360 since it wasn't designed for the cell processor. Generally it is hard to squeeze decent performance out of code in retrospect for cell. Secondly, the fill-rate on the PS3 is significantly lower than that of the 360. Having said that, I love the fact that the PS3 slim is really quiet, you can hardly hear it when it's on, whereas the 360 sounds like a lawnmower.

What's your take on it guys, which will you get and why?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I'm getting it on both 360 and PS3. This will be the first and only time I buy the same game on more than one platform. I'll also get it on PC later on when I get a PC that can run it. I'll probably be playing the PS3 version the most, but I'll have the 360 version at hand in case I'm trying to find a Dukematch on PSN and no one's there. If that's the case, I can go on Xbox Live and hopefully find a match there. :blink:

Speaking of that, I hope the multiplayer is addictive and stays alive for a long time.

User is offline   Raziel 

I'm also borderlining on PS3, but I'm just scared I regret it. This was one of the things I intended to ask Randy, but I just forgot about it.

User is offline   Sebastian 

I'll get it for the PC if there's modding capabilities but I'll buy it for the 360 regardless of what happens since all my buds play on that. Plus, 99% of all multi-platform games gets the short end of the stick on PS3. Hopefully this won't be the case of DNF.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

360. I hate the PS3 controller. Hurts my hand.

Either upgrade my PC for the PC version, or break down for the 360 version. But what I do is based upon 2 things.

1)Just how badly my comp runs the demo. And how expensive of an upgrade would be needed.
2)If the multiplayer looks really good.

if my pc cant run it then ps3

User is offline   You 

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Nov 12 2010, 02:57 PM, said:

Either upgrade my PC for the PC version, or break down for the 360 version. But what I do is based upon 2 things.

1)Just how badly my comp runs the demo. And how expensive of an upgrade would be needed.

I can understand what you're saying about the multi-player, but PC gaming multiplayer is MILES more fun. It's a much faster pace then xbox gaming.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostSebastian, on Nov 12 2010, 11:19 AM, said:

Plus, 99% of all multi-platform games gets the short end of the stick on PS3. Hopefully this won't be the case of DNF.

Unfortunately the PS3's hardware is not as great as Sony wants you to believe, that's the real problem. They had this cell processor built for the PS3 without really knowing if it would be useful or practical for games or not. See, the PS3 only has 1 real general purpose CPU core - most of your game has to run on that. The actual Synergistic Processing Elements are very restrictive, you write little programs that process data in parallel. It has raw performance and is great for stuff like physics, but this is hard to take advantage of. Most games are built under the assumption that you will have symmetric multiprocessing (where all cores are identical and general purpose). The 360 only has 3 cores but at least all of those cores are general purpose CPU cores. And really, when it comes down to it, that was such a stupid design decision... On top of that the GPU in the PS3 really sux in comparison to the 360. If you want to know more about the GPUs in the two platforms, see: http://www.pcvsconso...360-vs-ps3-gpu/
XBOX360: Up to 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec, Up to 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec
PS3: 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec, 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec
Don't forget that the 360 also has virtually free anti-aliasing, whereas on PS3, you're lucky when you get something that is even close to anti-aliasing. To combat the lack of fill-rate on the PS3, they usually also choose to render the game itself at a lower resolution compared to 360 and upscale the result when outputting to the TV.

In short: trying to optimize a game later to run well on the PS3 is usually not an easy task, so people end up only utilizing the 1 general purpose core instead of using the full potential of the cell processor, end result, slower performance compared to the 360. And since the PS3 dev tools are really bad compared to the 360's, people tend to develop on 360 and port to PS3 later, so it tends to get the short end of the stick as you've pointed out.

Still, it's not mediocre, so I'm still considering getting it on the PS3, since, as I've pointed out, at least it's quiet.

Raz.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 12 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

View PostRaziel, on Nov 12 2010, 07:13 PM, said:

Still, it's not mediocre, so I'm still considering getting it on the PS3, since, as I've pointed out, at least it's quiet.

Raz.

360 Slim and the ability to install games on the 360's hard drive say hi.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Nov 12 2010, 05:26 PM, said:

360 Slim and the ability to install games on the 360's hard drive say hi.

Don't really want to buy the new 360 because mine still works :/

Still, harddrive installations made Bioshock 1/2 that much more immersive for me.

User is offline   Martin 

PS3. I have a 360 also, and am aware of the 'multi-platform games look better on 360' thing. These days the difference tends to be pretty minimal, and I prefer my PS3 slim for the exact same reason as the OP. 360 is very loud. I also have another reason, my friends are mostly on PS3, and my family all have PS3s. As long as there isn't a total gulf in difference in how the two versions perform, I won't really give a shit. The closer the better, and if they can achieve actual parity, or as near as damnit, then that'd be awesome.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

For this game I will probably get it on all platforms.

User is offline   Kathy 

He-he, I am not alone then. PC+PS3+X360

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Guys, unless there is exclusive content for each one, I don't see why on Earth you'd want to get it for all three platforms.

Do you guys wanna compare average framerates or what? Cause that'll pretty much be it.

Also, for the record, you can get great graphics cards like the Radeon 6850 and the Geforce GTX 460 $180 and $200 respectively. They should be able to run Duke close to or fully cranked.

I have a 2GB GTX 460 and I can run Metro 2033 at 30-60 fps on Very High. I'm hardly worried about DNF over stressing the card.

Take the money you'd spend on 3 separate copies of the same fucking game and put it towards a decent video card.

This post has been edited by Descent: 13 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

Alright, I'll get a new graphics card. As soon as I get my first job...then get payed 2 weeks later.

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 13 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Nov 12 2010, 10:57 PM, said:

You can get past with a good price if you analyze the market and really make a plan , plus doing all the work your self , basically you save up a lot of money , if you go to a store today , and see a graphics card and you buy it , you won't be as sure as if you firt spent a week researching and reviewing.

Also if your PC is too old , in which case the upgrade would not be a good idea. Making up a new custom pc , scavenge the parts like old fans and the whole metal case , you buy motherboard , PSU , CPU , and the graphics card , put the old dvd drive in , and youre fine to go , modern PC for under 500$ (USA gets a lot cheaper hardware than EU , it would be like 400 E for us , but that's actually more than 500$)

I pimped so i got my PC for 1100 EUR , that's becuase of Logitech Sorround X540 5.1 for 100 Eur , the case was 100 eur , the PSU was super high end ( i got 5 years of stupid low quality PSU that kept resetting and shutting down i lost the mind over it and over 5 repairs .. was a noob back then , i freaked out and ordered the best PSU on my local site , there was 720W Infinty version though but it's the same techology line with only more watts which wasn't needed at all but it cost like 30 Eur more , 620W Liberty DXX for 150 Eur , max wattage isn't important as much as are other things in PSU , pretty much it's most of the time like half the load for me , with a 45nm processor that came out days before i ordered the CPU .. it was rock solid :blink:

In the end , nothing helps more than having 4 GB or more RAM and disabling the pagefile(virtual memory) ... free speed up 98% people have no idea about and jabble how pagefile is good because they actually trust microsoft's "experts". - That's the stutter fix , if it's not made by other causes , otherwise it's probably your net or a slow CPU. Never experienced stutter , if i did , i just dig up the system to fix it , 99.9% it's human fault :blink: ... or should i say inexperience :huh:
On a different side , it might be all those webshit programs working and taking bandwith , a mix of bad drivers and settings, and general slack on pc, coupled with some gallons of free "antispyware" , with some mess of tons of broken codecs , ... and the stew is cooking (PS: no , my nickname doesn't mean ox stew ... coincidence :blink:)

On the other hand If you're experienced enough , you'll see a difference if it's the game's fault or you're PC

This post has been edited by Stewox: 13 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

View PostBraveTriforcer, on Nov 12 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

the ability to install games on the 360's hard drive say hi.

That option has been available since NXE update in 2008 if I recall.

I may get DNF on 360+PS3, but not sure at this time.

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 13 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   BugsBunny 

It's a FPS game guys. PC is the only platform to go for.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Dukenator, on Nov 14 2010, 12:17 AM, said:

That option has been available since NXE update in 2008 if I recall.

But not slim 360.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You can't do that in the recent update?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Nov 13 2010, 07:58 PM, said:

You can't do that in the recent update?

What? The HDD Install? Why would they remove that?
They have to remind people that the 'Install to HDD' option is available to use as not everyone bothers to install their game to HDD for better loading times.

@BugsBunny Shut up. It doesn't matter what DNF is on as long as it doesn't fucking suck.

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 13 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Perhaps it was my poor english.

- 360 Slim and the ability to install games on the 360's hard drive say hi.
- That option has been available since NXE update in 2008 if I recall.
- But not slim 360(= slim wasn't available until june'09)

slim+install => quiet

This post has been edited by Lotan: 14 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Maybe a bit overkill, but I'm sure that'd make the bastard silent.

@Lotan I still have the original 360 and can install games to HDD. 360 S is designed to be quieter.

Am i the only one that has understood what Lotan meant?

I mean..it was crystal clear to me.

XBOX 360 install game to hd feature = less noise

XBXO360 SLIM = less noise even without installing a game

XBOX 360 SLIM + install game to hd feature = less than less noise:O

And it actually makes perfect sense.

Wrote this since i see some of you reply that fat 360 has the feature too.

This post has been edited by Luther Blissett: 14 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

I'll get it on the 360 (maybe only).

Looks like the PC version won't include the editor and won't have dedicated servers. That means there's not a single reason left to get it on PC for me.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Dukenator, on Nov 14 2010, 07:43 PM, said:

@Lotan I still have the original 360 and can install games to HDD.

Me too... It's just that original 360 is still pretty loud even after installing the game. Although the bulk of noise from dvd-rom is gone.

User is offline   palan 

View PostBugsBunny, on Nov 14 2010, 01:25 AM, said:

It's a FPS game guys. PC is the only platform to go for.

AGREE!

PC is the only decent way to play.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options