Duke4.net Forums: How about a mods database? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How about a mods database?

User is offline   microjunk 

I know there are already about 4 or more places around the web to get duke mods, but many of them are outdated and have many broken links. I have been collecting duke mods for about 4 years now and have amassed nearly 600 maps, mods, and TC's. Most of these still have all original documents and batch files, these are all set up to just extract to your eduke folder and run from batch. I already have them uploaded to megaupload (posted to 2 other non duke sites) but thought I would ask if I could do the same here (since it is a duke site). These are obviously not my mods and I take no credit for creating any of them. I simply have them all in one place (as I had to search just about every corner of the web and still can't find about 40 or so) for everyone to have access to. I do maintain my links and if any go down they go back up within 24 hours (give enough bandwidth).

thought and ideas, ya's and na's, just let me know, I would love to share my files with more duke fans!!

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Well, there is a pack on Duke4.net that has like 5000 maps/mods....

They also recently resurrected dukeworld here but I'm not sure how complete it is.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 24 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for the link, I saw a couple I dont have in my collection, though I do have a good bunch not on that list....I would have to unpack them all to see, I should probably create a list of what I have and put that here instead and perhaps we could compile a more complete list and or database....thanks again...also could you post a link to the 5000 pack on this site, I couldn't find it thanks again.

This post has been edited by microjunk: 24 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Duke Nukem 3D TC Site

thanks for the link forge, I have found that one before, had problems with may of the links, but found them other places which is exactly my point, why not have ALL the mods and maps in one place for everyone, instead of 15 to 20 different web sites. There are quite a few I have been looking for and can't seem to find anywhere, Stargate TC is one that has been eluding me for about 3 years. I am pretty sure it exists I had seen screenshots for it. At one point I had even found a link but it had expired. This site seems like it will be here for quite some time, and with the DNF finally coming along, its like Duke got a new lease on life. Instead of linking many sites to this one, that may have dead links of their own, or outdated material, why not host the mods here, or at the very least the harder to find mods, maps and TC's and then link the rest. If someone were needed to maintain the thread or the links, I would be happy to do so. I just thinks its unfair to those that created some of these mods (good or bad), that they have to disappear from the web altogether. Long live Duke, and the users and fans that help make the game better and continue to live on.

EDIT: just wanted to add....please dont think I am whining about this, just want to try and preserve what others have created (and on one of the best Duke sites I have ever found (not trying to be a kissass)).

This post has been edited by microjunk: 24 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

User is offline   Forge 

I already suggested to Tx to host Duke3D maps and mods, but I think the moderators here feel content to leave things "as is". Space is probably and issue so they need to leave room for hosting DNF releases.

If you email Eddy about the broken links at his site, he'll fix them.

The Stargate mod is a dead project. Stargate Mod

You can try to email or message the commander to see if there was ever an alpha release.

Yeah I had seen that on ModDB before, but I was pretty sure there was an alpha or beta release to it though. And getting to the content hosting....What if we were to encourage everyone to put mediafire or similar links for their mods or mod collection. Most of my collection is already up on megaupload and could easily be pasted here as well. I have no GRP files in them other than the user created ones (at least not that I remember). At the very least we could pool together a nice little thread containing only links, and a small bit of help for some troubled mods. Nothing would actually have to be stored on the site server. As to not continue beating a dead horse, would that be a feasible idea?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Ugh, god damn it.

People keep asking and messaging me for this so I will just upload what there was. Even though I said it was quite dead they don't seem to listen. :(

Here...

http://www.mediafire...6qao6qqe49sloi6

User is offline   Forge 

View PostThe Commander, on Oct 24 2010, 10:56 AM, said:

Ugh, god damn it.

People keep asking and messaging me for this so I will just upload what there was. Even though I said it was quite dead they don't seem to listen. :(

lol. You should request that post to be stickied.

As far as hosting mods and mod collections, I think that Eddy's site has pretty much most of it covered. If there's something he doesn't have, you can email him about it and he'll probably put it on his site.

There's also the issue of putting all your eggs in one basket. I'm sure the moderators here will host a site for TCs and Mods if you can put one together and demonstrate that you won't let it fall to waste.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

There's this, that everyone can update:

http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

Of course, nobody updates it.

I have been quite slack with terms of adding anything to the wiki, there have been a few bot attacks to the wiki.

e.g. http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Build/Mapster...yboard_Commands and I can't seem to restore that page to what it originally was as it times out for me.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPlagman, on Oct 24 2010, 12:44 PM, said:

There's this, that everyone can update:

http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

Of course, nobody updates it.

I think he's suggesting a site that directly hosts mod files that have been released since day one of Duke3D's creation, not a page with a list of links that can die any day.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostThe Commander, on Oct 24 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

I have been quite slack with terms of adding anything to the wiki, there have been a few bot attacks to the wiki.

e.g. http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Build/Mapster...yboard_Commands and I can't seem to restore that page to what it originally was as it times out for me.

I restored it and blocked the attackers; do you know of any other cases?

to commander; thanks for the stargate tc.....

to everyone else reading...I just wanted to get a thread started that gets no comments, just a list of links for users to host (through their own means..i.e. megaupload, mediafire) their own collections, creations, or art for others to use and share. I am tired or searching the web for new, old, and hard to find mods. I know the eggs in one basket thing, not entirely what i am suggesting. Not all links have to be the same kind, i.e. mediafire and such. I have to go out for a minute, but when I return I will start a blank thread and maintain with my links. If its not acceptable, you can remove it. Once they are posted, I will get a list together with whats inside. Again no comments are necessary.....

View PostPlagman, on Oct 25 2010, 09:46 AM, said:

I restored it and blocked the attackers; do you know of any other cases?

I have not seen any other cases, is there anyway to make account creating/editing any harder?

@ Plagman thanks for the wiki link, some of those I have been trying to follow for some time now, the AWOL Project, decay, and AMC TC.

I was hoping Decay or at the very least the AMC TC would have had some kind of release by now. I have tried MANY duke sites, and though many have other features to offer (arcades, and other non duke related materials) I feel it takes away from the main purpose of the sites. At least here it is, in my opinion, about 95% Duke. That is why I feel there should be a thread similar to the wiki. Let the users edit, modify, and post updated info to their own mods, maps, and other goodies. Think of it more as an archive of links. I have a premium account with megaupload that I do maintain so my links don't get deleted that I could use to host most of this. Like most of you here, I grew up playing Duke, and for me no other game come close. Especially with the amount of passion the fans still have to create, mod, and convert this gem into something new again and again. We (the FANS) have the power to keep this game and all its glory living on Forever.....

This post has been edited by microjunk: 24 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Either hosting a site (at Duke4) with the files, adding to the wiki page (or adding a new wiki page to advertise old mods), or getting permission to add a subdirectory to the old dukeworld page seem to be the best options

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

1..don't know how to host my own site for the mods (help getting an ftp site up would be cool)

2..For some reason everytime I try to create an account at the wiki it gets rejected

3..I don't have a mail app to contact dukworld

4..thats why I was hoping to paste my links here (relatively easier I thought, glad I asked before pasting though don't want them to be taken down from here. None of the content would have been hosted on the site just the links)

thanks for all the help anyhow, still a great site and will always be here...if you'll have me...

@commander Thanks again for the stargate mod, though its not complete and a little buggy...still a cool mod..

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostThe Commander, on Oct 24 2010, 01:16 PM, said:

I :( at the title of the file. And why did you stop this in the first place?

Posting links isn't a big deal...but making them available on Dukeworld (if they aren't already) would be better. I feel like Dukeworld would benefit from organization some based on themes/content of TCs/maps. Maybe even search.

View PostMr.Flibble, on Oct 24 2010, 09:03 AM, said:

Well, there is a pack on Duke4.net that has like 5000 maps/mods....

Thiis: http://www.duke4.net...oad.php?view.33

User is offline   Forge 

View Postmicrojunk, on Oct 24 2010, 06:08 PM, said:

..thats why I was hoping to paste my links here (relatively easier I thought, glad I asked before pasting though don't want them to be taken down from here. None of the content would have been hosted on the site just the links)

Two problems with posting links

1.links eventually die...they all do (see: totalconversions.com, ftp.sunet.se/pub/games/PC/3drealms/duke3d/maps/, fileplanet's meltdown, and planetduke.com)

2. A thread listing mod links will slowly slip into the void of this site as new subjects come up and make yours slide off the page and disappear into nothing but a vague memory.

I checked out that so called "5000 maps" file.

It actually only has around 2500 maps. There are many doubles; you'll find that alot of the maps are the same, but have slight variations in the name, or usually one is zipped and another is not. The unzipped text files are also tallied towards the total file count.

There's also quite a few half-baked "maps" that look like some four year old made. A square room with one wall randomly textured and a trooper in it counts as a map.

That file IMHO is a complete waste of space. If you download all the files currently stored in the dukeworld repository, you can get all the same maps without the trash.

I have no idea what "mail app" you need to contact dukeworld when its files are stored and maintained by the people who run this site.

But organizing those dukeworld files and adding your mods to it sounds like a splendid idea. And a link should be put on the front page.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

as you said forge, those maps are a complete waste of time if you already went to the repository...the app I am talking about is when I try to email or contact dukeworld (and it may be my browser) asks for an email client. I would like to add what I have to their list, the ones that are not already there. And I am sure that no one here really wants to go through my list and post them for me (wouldn't ask anyway). I have round 4 gig of mods maps and tc's. Some, very few are doubles and I mention this because the doubles I have are one early build and then a final build of the same, and they are numbered that way too (the ones that are doubles). All my files are 7zipped alphabetically...all numbered files together, then the letter A and so forth, so each set of links will be one set per letter of alphabet.

here are the links, I hope this worked right.....

Spoiler

and some map packs too
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IG4BGTER
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KKAX5GP1

this is the result of about 5 years worth of scouring the web and lots and lots of free time.......

edit: the links didn't hide...how to do that?? also all credits should be in their proper place, as I did not create any of these and don't want anyone thinking I am passing this off as mine. There should also not be any questionable files therein either...there are several hard to find ones in here as well, and all are extract to eduke folder and play with batch. thanks...and if someone could either fix the spoiler to make the post smaller, or just tell me how that would be great.

This post has been edited by microjunk: 24 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

User is offline   Forge 

You might have some good stuff in there, but there's no way I'm downloading that many files.

I'd be more inclined to download them all as a torrent, and you might get a better audience that way as well.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, either post them as a torrent or I can give you an account on an ftp where you can put them so I can add them to Dukeworld.

yeah your right...but I hate using torrents, and my ISP is starting to crack down on torrent trading...I will be posting the list for the what's inside tomorrow then you would only have to download the corresponding letter of files to what you want....all files are 50M each and less for the last of each letter, and D has the most parts at 19 pieces...this makes it easy for all to grab and megaupload is a lot faster when downloading smaller files. I have 110Mb speed and it would only take about 20min to grab all files, a bit longer depending on your speed....wait til tomorrow and check the list...you may change your mind. for now..good night to all.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Still no Wolfenstein Grosse :/

I'm not sure if you should have WW2GI.7z there.

@Daedolon -- ya I know about the ww2gi, I had a few stragglers in their, my hard drive was over loaded when I did this a while ago but I plan to fix this with.......

@TX I don't know if we use PM's here or not but if you could hook me up with the FTP I would be glad to do that, though I have to wait till the first....very little bandwidth left (these links were already posted to megaupload a month ago). I want to keep things a 'neet' as possible for me, and everyone else. So if need be I can take these links from the post down....and up the stuff to you on the first for Dukeworld.

thanks again everyone.....

View Postmicrojunk, on Oct 25 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

@ Plagman thanks for the wiki link, some of those I have been trying to follow for some time now, the AWOL Project, decay, and AMC TC.

AWOL has had it's source files released, Decay, dead I think? and AMC TC is quite alive.

View Postmicrojunk, on Oct 25 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

I have a premium account with megaupload that I do maintain so my links don't get deleted that I could use to host most of this.

Why are they uploaded with failupload.com? wouldn't mediafire.com have been a better choice with no wait times and better speeds? Also I think failupload has some stupid limit on how much you can download if you are not a premium member as well.
You didn't really pay for that account either did you?

they are with megaupload because I have had an account there for a couple of years (yes I do pay for it), I don't have a mediafire account, and their free accounts are only 200 Mb this is 4G of up. But I was going to work with TX to get them up to Dukeworld, thought that would be the better choice with what everyone here is sayin. And the wiat times at mega are only 45 seconds in between links, didn't think people would mind that considering that the alternatives are anywhere between 15min (rapid) and 45min (everywhere else). Also do you happen to have links where I can try out the AWOL source files or AMC TC? can't seem to get them anywhere (unless I am missing something at AMC).

thanks again for all help in this discussion

And if TX could get back to me about the FTP thing that would be helpful too....

@Daedolon What is wolfenstein Grosse? Havent heard of that one.....

This post has been edited by microjunk: 25 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options