Duke4.net Forums: What to play till Duke Nukem Forever comes out? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to play till Duke Nukem Forever comes out?  "(aka what games are similar to DNF)"

User is offline   Honza 

Hi guys,
as this wait even for demo might actually take Forever I thought it's kinda good idea to start a topic in which we recommend each other what to play in meantime waiting for Duke Nukem Forever.

Expectations from recommended games/mods:
# it should be similar in gameplay to Duke Nukem 3D / Duke Nukem Forever (at least what we think)
# it's best to be FPS
# it's dated at least as Duke Nukem 3D (games 1996+)

So let's rock and he're is my list:

#1 SiN (1998)
Posted Image

Set in the near future of 2037, many of the levels and locations are reminiscent of their current day equivalents. Banks, building sites, sewage works and other everyday recognisable buildings form the basis of many of the levels in SiN. One major difference in the world of SiN is the lack of a police force. 10 years prior to the game, it is revealed that the police force collapsed due to inefficiency and ineffectiveness against the rising tide of crime. Private security companies have taken their place, some patrolling the streets like the former police, some in charge of protecting their employer's assets.
One of these companies which employ their own armed security forces are SiNtek, a large multi-national biotechnology firm owned by the beautiful and charismatic Elexis Sinclaire. Elexis took over the firm following the disappearance of her father, Dr. Thrall Sinclaire, who formed it in 2005.
The protagonist of the game, Col. John Blade, is the commander of one of the largest security forces in the city of Freeport, HardCorps. Prior to the beginning of the game, John is working to rid the streets of a potent new recreational drug named U4, which is gaining in popularity in Freeport. Yet, the source of the drug is still unknown, and its effects not entirely studied. As the game begins, the player is placed into the shoes of John Blade as he responds to a full scale bank heist and hostage situation perpetrated by a well known criminal, Mancini. But as the player progresses and pursues the criminals behind the heist, further questions are raised: Who is really behind the heist? And is this linked to the reported appearance of mutants in the city?
Throughout the missions, Blade is aided via radio link by a computer cracker working at HardCorps, JC. JC is a skilled cracker, capable of breaking into even the tightest of networks. In fact, Blade first found out about JC when investigating a cracker who had broken into the HardCorps system. After tracking down the hacker, Blade, recognizing the perpetrator's talents, decided to make him a job offer at HardCorps instead of arresting him. Thus, JC became one of HardCorps most valuable assets.

source & more at wiki

Video Gameplay: 1st level gameplay (from demo)
PC demo link: PC demo & MAC demo & Linux demo - gateway from Ritualistic to Fileshack

Personal comment:

This is one of the best games I've played since era of Duke Nukem 3D. John R. Blade comments like Duke, makes jokes similar to Duke, communicates via intercom. Gameplay is very fast and straightforwad. Mostly urban environment. Huge interactivity. On higher difficulty settings (medium and up) it's quite challenging. Graphics are dated - it's powered by Quake 2 engine and it runs smoothly on P233MMX with 64MB RAM and 3Dfx Voodoo 2. OpenGL supported but software rendering also possible. No problems running at Windows XP. I coulnd't find any widescreen hack so if you've WS LCD like I do you've to stick with something like 1024x768, 1280x960 or 1600x1200. Don't be mistaken by low ratings - in early days the game was buggy as hell and couldn't be even finished but now in latest version (1.11) it's all fixed.

#2 Wages of SiN (1999)
Posted Image
Personal comment:

As I don't want you guys spoil the gameplay experience of SiN I just say that's it's mission pack for original SiN and a must have if you liked original SiN.
Unfortunately no demo available and it's quite difficult to get it...

source & more at wiki
no demo, no video gameplay

#3 SiN Episodes: Emergence (2006)
Posted Image

SiN Episodes is the title of a series of episodic games for the PC that would have expanded upon the 1998 computer game SiN. A total of nine episodes were planned with only the first one released. Developed by Ritual Entertainment and powered by the Source engine, the first episode "Emergence" was the first computer game by a major developer to both be produced episodically and delivered over the Internet without the intervention of a publisher. This was accomplished through Valve Corporation's Steam content delivery system.

source & more at wiki

Video Gameplay: it's from like first third of the game - shows most accurately the gameplay
No demo available.
Personal comment:

Just another gem which died on it's effort for perfection, episodic gaming is now found to be too expensive to develop considering it's price ($20) so atm we're left with this only one episode. Based on HL2 source engine so no graphics disappointment this time :D . Similar gameplay to original SiN, huge interactivity some babes added :( . What is revolutionary in this game is it's automatic difficulty modifications - so if you're doing too many headshots and game is weak for you, it spawns more enemies and less medpacks on the other hand if it's becoming to be too difficult it spawns more medpacks, difficulty and challenge is configurable at any time.

#4 Kingpin: Life of crime (1999)
Posted Image

Gameplay in Kingpin was most noted for its profanity laden dialog and its graphic depiction of violence. An idea incorporated into the game was that of area-specific damage: a shot to the head deals more damage than a shot on the leg. To complement this, each game character also has a deformable skin, which indicates where and how badly the character had been injured. Injured characters also bleed, and leave a blood trail making it easier to follow them. Instead of having a universal armor value for the player, armor is split into three different types, helmet, body armor and leggings, with separate values for each one.
Another innovative feature of the game is the use of weapon modifications. Various mods can be used to upgrade the weapons in the game. The pistol, for example, can be modified to increase its magazine size, or its rate of fire, among other things.
Kingpin also features heavy NPC interaction for a first-person shooter; the player can interact with NPCs and choose between positive or negative responses. This can lead to various outcomes such as gleaning new information, hiring gang members, or provoking an enemy into attacking. The NPC response to the player also takes into account whether the player's gun is holstered or not. Some areas, such as bars and clubs, which acted as hubs for the chapters, force the player to lower his weapon. The player can also hire gang members to join him, and in some cases this is necessary as the player would need an AI character's specific skill.
Another new feature is the introduction of cash. Fallen enemies can be padded for cash, which can then be used to purchase weapons and ammunition at the Pawn-O-Matic, a shop found in every chapter. Cash can also be used to hire gang members.

source & more at wiki

Video Gameplay: this one is from demo and it's really messy - not really safe for work :D
pc demo link: http://www.fileshack...57/Kingpin+Demo

Personal comment:

One of the guys at youtube below video from the game asked: "what happened to good fun games like this?" and the reply "cross-platform gaming, censore and the lack of ideas" - it quite says it all. If you haven't played this gem I really suggest you to get back to it and get it somewhere. Game is quite dated (1999) and powered by Quake 2 engine so something like P233MMX with 64MB RAM and Voodoo 2 is enough, however hi-res texture pack exists (didn't tried). Interactivity is quite ok but don't expect something like SiN or Duke. It's been some time I played it so watch videos and get the demo :(

#5 Soldier of Fortune (2000) & Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002)
Posted Image and Posted Image
SoF (2000)

The story involves the theft of nuclear weapons, and the main enemy turns out to be an Afrikaner Neo-Nazi group based in Germany, led by Sergei Dekker. At the beginning of the game, terrorists steal four nuclear weapons from a storage facility in Russia, and proceed to sell them to various third world nations. This is a prelude to the acquisition of advanced weapons of mass destruction by this terrorist group.
John Mullins, working for a U.S.-based mercenary ("soldier of fortune") organization known only as "The Shop", and his partner, Aaron "Hawk" Parsons, are assigned to prevent the nukes from falling into the wrong hands, and stop the terrorists in their plans.

source & more at wiki
Video Gameplay: it's not really gameplay but I think you can get the idea from it :D
PC demo link: http://www.fileshack...of+Fortune+Demo

SoF II (2002)

The theme of the sequel is germ warfare, as the mercenary Mullins and his new partner Madeline Taylor travel to Colombia to investigate a viral outbreak in a small town, only to link it to a shadowy organization called Prometheus. The virus, called Romulus, is followed by a computer virus called Remus which is programmed to delete files on any computer in the world, in this case, files relating to Prometheus and Romulus, so an anti-virus cannot be formulated. Prometheus then plans to blackmail the G8 countries at a summit in Switzerland for billions of dollars. It is revealed throughout the course of the game that a mole inside The Shop may be feeding information to the terrorists.

source & more at wiki

Video Gameplay: just to get the idea what is it all about...
PC demo link: http://download.cnet.com/Soldier-of-Fortun...4-10246058.html

Personal comment:

Again - it's been some time since I played them but just another gems, interactivity is maybe not so good as in SiN but still lots of fun.

I've 15 years experience of PC gaming and it's really difficult to pick true gems, but I did my best. There are lots of other great games - for exampet Half-Life and HL2 or Unreal, but I consider it too far in gameplay from Duke so I didn't mentioned them. If you guys know any games/mods to other games similar to DNF bring it on :(.

This post has been edited by Honza: 16 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

I didn't really like Sin Episodes.

No one liners from Blade, and that's what i liked the most about the first SIN.

Wages of Sin is actually pretty weak too imho.

User is offline   Honza 

few more added :(

User is offline   Sudo 

Posted Image
I'd recommend Unreal. Amazing graphics for the time and still has a great atmosphere. One of the best single player FPS ever.

This post has been edited by Sudo: 17 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

I'd recommend this very obscure game:

Posted Image

It's a very rare game that some of you may or may not remember from those obscure days. :( I assure you though it is vera much like the Duke Nukem. XD

User is offline   Honza 

View PostJinroh, on Oct 17 2010, 12:38 AM, said:

I'd recommend this very obscure game:

Posted Image

It's a very rare game that some of you may or may not remember from those obscure days. :( I assure you though it is vera much like the Duke Nukem. XD

oh how could I forgot this one :(
actually I never finished that game so maybe it's the time :(

User is offline   Valdsator 

Posted Image
Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

While the game is about WW2, it's definitely not realistic. The game has a minigun, some robot-ish uber/elite soldiers, and zombies (along with other creatures).
Get it on STEAM for 20 dollars, and receive a FREE COPY OF WOLFENSTEIN 3D! :(

Also, it has kicking. :(

User is offline   Jinroh 

I'd MUCH MUCH Rather play this than RTCW.
Posted Image

Don't forget this very rare very obscure cult classic.
Posted Image

And this hidden "GEM"
Posted Image

And probably the most EPIC game of all freaking time. You'll get caught up in it. I think for many of us the theme song is forever burned into our minds. ^^
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 16 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

User is offline   Jeager1999 

Time to Kill and Zero Hour.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Play through Duke Nukem 1.
Play through Duke Nukem 2.
Play through Duke Nukem 3D AE, Carribean, DC.
Play through Duke Nukem Time to Kill, Zero Hour, and Advanced.

The whole legacy, leading you right into Duke Nukem Forever.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image or Posted Image

Likewise:

Posted ImagePosted Image

or

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

User is offline   Honza 

View PostJeager1999, on Oct 17 2010, 03:20 AM, said:

Time to Kill and Zero Hour.

as far as I know these two can't be played on PC, can they?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Emulated, sure.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostCommando Nukem, on Oct 17 2010, 03:41 AM, said:

Emulated, sure.

any hints - best practice on that?

• The Sarien Encounter

ePSXe? PSEmu? Bleem?

User is offline   Honza 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 17 2010, 05:43 AM, said:

ePSXe? PSEmu? Bleem?

that's why I'm asking you mentioned three of them - which one is best? Or at least which of these is best for Zero Hour/ Time to kill.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHonza, on Oct 17 2010, 12:52 PM, said:

that's why I'm asking you mentioned three of them - which one is best? Or at least which of these is best for Zero Hour/ Time to kill.

ePSXe I've had some good luck with, should give that a shot.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostStrikerMan780, on Oct 17 2010, 06:46 PM, said:

ePSXe I've had some good luck with, should give that a shot.

thank you I'll give it a shot.

you should go to youtube and seach epsxe. im pretty sure that some people have the whole package downloadable. you usually have to download plugins and stuff. but those people on youtube give you it all finished and ready.

User is offline   Kathy 

Youtube?

User is offline   Jinroh 

I think he means that a lot of people put download links to things in the Video Description. ^^

View PostLotan, on Oct 17 2010, 07:29 PM, said:

Youtube?

yes youtube.... youtube have a seach button. youtube is quite useful for other things than watching videos :(

• The Sarien Encounter

I forgot that Zero Hour is an N64 game. A PSX emulator won't work for it. Try Project 64 or some other N64 emulator.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Ah, Kingpin... I miss playing Kingpin Bagman/DM . I was first once, on The CLQ. :( Took me 8 hours of fragging a day to become the champ. That was before the Kingpin multiplay was ruined by bunnyhoppers and hacks.

Hope DNF has Bagman type teamplay..

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostJinroh, on Oct 16 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

And probably the most EPIC game of all freaking time. You'll get caught up in it. I think for many of us the theme song is forever burned into our minds. ^^
Posted Image

\CROOOSSSSSFIIIYYAAAHHH!

Posted Image

I would suggest Shogo MAD.

Very very good game from Monolith. Has a few different story paths and is pretty violent.

Feels really 90's and has some cool level design.

You can even buy it from GOG.com if i remember correctly.

Oh yeah , forgot to add Sanjuro ( main character ) usually speaks a lot and throws a few nice oneliners once in a while.

This post has been edited by Luther Blissett: 17 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostLuther Blissett, on Oct 18 2010, 04:52 AM, said:

I would suggest Shogo MAD.

Great Suggest! ^^ Epic game is Epic! Lotsa Robotified Robochines and Anime girls and guns. In that good game. ^^ Great job man. ^^

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 17 2010, 10:53 PM, said:

I forgot that Zero Hour is an N64 game. A PSX emulator won't work for it. Try Project 64 or some other N64 emulator.

Btw. Long time ago I played duke3d total conversion called Zero Hour. How is it related to N64 game? It was mostly about fighting various mechanical enemies like robots etc.

User is offline   ferran275 

why are we limited to older games? I did that whole retro gaming thing back when the Gearbox rumor was picking up steam, I'm eagerly anticipating Fable III atm. That should keep me busy at least for awhile, that and Civ 5.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Everybody's just naming games that are similar to the spirit of Duke. Many of those just happen to be older titles, because those were the times when heroes were heroes like similarly to Duke. ^^

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options