Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever 1997 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever 1997  "Nition from Reddit posts scans from PC Gamer mag"

User is offline   Mack 

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dq...lusive_preview/

Hail to the King, Baby!

So I have this world exclusive preview of DNF. The time is November 1997, and the latest US PC Gamer magazine has the first ever, 10-page, exclusive preview. I am 12 years old (I'm now 25).

There's a lot of good stuff in this issue. Index 1 and Index 2

We learn how to convert an old PC into a gaming powerhouse.

We learn about some great games that have just come out, some events in the latest MMO, and some games that might be coming out next year.

And what's the biggest game coming out in 1998? Always bet on Duke.

Page 1 Choice quote: "To build Duke Nukem Forever on the Prey engine would have delayed the release until late 1998, around the same time as Prey itself."

Page 2 "Duke Nukem Forever will be the first (Duke game) to use an id Software engine and support 3D accelerators."

Page 3 "'Since we have heavy character speech in our games, that'd mean a full set of male and female lines,' says Broussard. 'Something like that's just too far beyond the scope of an action game.'"

Page 4 Includes a preview of Max Payne.

Page 5 "Imagine Duke Nukem Forever to be Duke 3D on crack and steroids at the same time."

Page 6 "But that 256-color limit may not be the case in the final game."

Page 7 "Then of course there is Duke Nukem: The Movie."

Page 8 "Minimum requirements should be similar to 16 megs with 32 recommended on a Pentium class machine; a P133 or higher is recommended."

If you're further interested in some 90s Duke history, I posted a PlanetQuake preview of the 1998 build of the game as well on Duke4.net.

This post has been edited by Mack: 13 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I honestly don't see why they had to switch engines, the 1998 version looked perfectly fine. If they would have finished that up, then the 2001 version could have been Duke Nukem Survival (Sur-five-al) or another cool name with a pun.

User is offline   Jinroh 

I had that PC gamer long time ago. ^^ That is when I first heard about DNF! ^^ I always thought the cover art on that issue made Duke look really ugly. ^^ Good memories.

User is offline   Sean1978 

Posted Image
I have that mouse pad sitting on my desk, and another one in my unopened copy of DN3D.

This post has been edited by Sean1978: 15 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options