Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox Appreciation Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox Appreciation Thread  "For reviving Duke and supporting the soldiers behind him!"

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

With some of the negativity floating around towards how things are handled at Gearbox or why the trailer is not out yet, I think some people are miscalculating the degree to which Gearbox has been instrumental in saving Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm also personally very fond of Randy Pitchford for doing in one year what George Broussard could not do in twelve--setting a release date for the game and going through with it to the extent that pre-orders are now official (no retailer BS) and there's even an official DNF website (things we could never imagine of in the past decade).

Seriously folks, I want a trailer just like the rest of you, and I haven't paid for Borderlands GOTY just like many of you (as much as I'd love early access), but come on. Unlike GB, Gearbox has legitimate business reasons for wanting to make things right with ESRB and their publisher in being a tad slow with media releases; moreover, the Borderlands deal bolsters profit while at the same time publicizing DNF for those who aren't in our small circle. Yes, they're a business and they're making money, but don't forget how much Gearbox paid to buy the rights to the game and revive it so us FANS wouldn't have to succumb to 3D Realms' failed management.

Gearbox not only reemployed very talented and deserving individuals who suffered losses at 3D Realms, but it also revived our game and breathed life into this website again. Let's have one topic where we appreciate Randy Pitchford and his crew for a change, and let's make it known that Duke4.net's community is 100% behind these guys in all their hard work and dedication towards Duke Nukem Forever!

Thanks Yatta! (y) Gearbox rox

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Meh... ;)

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Negativity is the way of life for many gamers out there.... at least in public. It almost seems to me that they complain in public but enjoy the games anyway otherwise why continue playing them? ;) Isn't there a saying something like nobody loves to hate their own hobby more than gamers?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm willing to give Gearbox a chance.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostReaperMan, on Oct 12 2010, 09:50 PM, said:

Meh... ;)

View PostTetsuo, on Oct 12 2010, 09:55 PM, said:

Negativity is the way of life for many gamers out there.... at least in public. It almost seems to me that they complain in public but enjoy the games anyway otherwise why continue playing them? ;) Isn't there a saying something like nobody loves to hate their own hobby more than gamers?

Right, but please no negativity in this one thread. There's no censoring on these forums but this particular thread does have a "no-negativity" rule because its purpose would otherwise be defeated. ;)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Trailer? Demo? Then, praise.

They keep acting like my ex-girlfriends. Lift me up, tease, then ignore. Deliver the goods, and then I will have nothing but praise. Dont get me wrong, i've been a fan of GBX for a long while. I love OPFOR and Blue Shift. Randy seems like a cool guy, and he's very enthused, which is exactly what the Duke brand needs. Im glad Duke is still in the hands of at least a few of its founders.

But im not going to give blind praise, especially when they talk out both sides of their mouth. "We want to get the game into the hands of gamers, and show them that its real." THEN THROW A BUNCH OF EXCLUSIVITIY IN THE PATH OF GAMERS. No I will not buy Borderlands. No I will not spend hundreds of dollars to try and get to some expo that I may not even be able to get into anyway.

What I dont get is all the hate leveled at Randy and Gearbox. I have no hatred for them, I just think they handled this reveal with no real forethought. They tried to hit the ground running without stocking their "body" with protein and carbs (media for the internet)... But hatred? No, I think Randy and all the guys at Gearbox working on DNF have genuine passion and love for this game and I look forward to experiencing what the guys at 3DR did, and what the guys at GBX contributed.

Thats about as positive as I can be until I get something I can play.

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

Thankyou Gearbox, Im going to name my first child after you...

User is offline   Spooger 

Gearbox has absolutely been instrumental in bringing Duke Nukem Forever to fruition -- all of the stories have said as much, Randy has said as much, and it's clear that, this time, it's really happening. Any proper Duke fan with half a brain should fully appreciate this for what it is, and no less: A miracle.

I hope -- as a fan -- that this effort will not be wasted, and that Gearbox sees this as an incredible oppertunity to welcome with open arms a community of folks who are tired, jerked around fans, who absolutely need to see Duke back, kicking ass, and chewing bubblegum with no delay. So far, they've done more to replenish our hopes and dreams than 3D Realms was able to.

A special thanks, of course, should always be attributed to 3D Realms. This is their swan song, in every way, and without the creative genius (if not the administrative genius), what we will end up playing would be less in every aspect. All of the people who put their minds, hearts, and money into the project should be commended for more than just being able to throw together a game; they should be respected for sticking to their guns when the going got tough. Just like everyones favorite alien-ass kicker has, and will for years to come.

So, yes, a personal shout-out from myself to all those involved in Duke Nukem Forever -- great not because we've played the game (because 99.999% of us haven't) -- instead, but not exclusively, great because of those that came before, did something they believed in, and left a very emotional mark in the history of game development that none will soon forget. Great also, for what it is -- a series that, God willing, will never die, and will continue to see incredible installments brought forth by its new benefactors.

To Gearbox, Triptych, 3D Realms, and... hell, why not, even 2K games -- I salute you. I think when people get to play the game, they will too, if they haven't already. Over and out.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostSpooger, on Oct 12 2010, 10:26 PM, said:

A special thanks, of course, should always be attributed to 3D Realms. This is their swan song, in every way, and without the creative genius (if not the administrative genius), what we will end up playing would be less in every aspect.

Absolutely.

I can't really understand all the negativity about Gearbox. At first everyone was either whining because "Duke Nukem Forever will never be released!" or angry because of the "When it's done!"-attitude of 3DRealms. Now Gearbox brings DNF. And that in 2011, which isn't far away. Now people are saying "*bleep* Gearbox for not releasing us a trailer!" or "What the f*#%?! Buyers of Borderlands GOTY will have early acces to the Demo and we won't get one!" even if it's just early access and the demo WILL be released to the public. I think some people just need some negativity in their lives. I personally have other things to worry about in my life.

So, thank you Gearbox for finally bringing us DNF!

Thank you 3D Realms and Gearbox Software for keeping Duke alive. We need more video game heroes like Duke out there. No more of this over sensitive and emotional characters we have today.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

If it wasn't for Gearbox this game would never come out, so I thank them for that.
I just hope they know what their doing, and that future Duke games are always with the PC in mind, and not just Consoles.
They have my trust for now...

User is offline   SonicIce 

Thanks and good luck, don't screw it up ;)

User is offline   Mr. Pink 

A huge Thank You to Gearbox and Randy Pitchford.

You guys rock.

User is offline   SamuelHans 

View PostYatta, on Oct 12 2010, 11:44 PM, said:

I'm also personally very fond of Randy Pitchford for doing in one year what George Broussard could not do in twelve

Randy only this done in one year because of George's help and his team that was let go. Yes 3dRealms did not fair so well after those years that went by, but it would be wrong to just think that Randy magically created everything in a year from scratch.

I give my thanks to Randy, George, and the developers of Duke Nukem Forever both from the past 3DRealms and Gearbox.

Anything for DNF! Duke rules! As well as every Apogee/3DRealms hero.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostSamuelHans, on Oct 12 2010, 10:46 PM, said:

Randy only this done in one year because of George's help and his team that was let go. Yes 3dRealms did not fair so well after those years that went by, but it would be wrong to just think that Randy magically created everything in a year from scratch.

I give my thanks to Randy, George, and the developers of Duke Nukem Forever both from the past 3DRealms and Gearbox.

I made ample references to the team in more than one of my posts here in this thread, but thank you for reiterating their importance! ;)

User is offline   Psyrgery 

I knew Gearbox taking over was the best thing that could have happened to the king. Without them nor Tryptich games, we would not have had Duke Nukem Forever so close to its release.

Thank you very much, Gearbox.

User is offline   PC-48 

Thank You Gearbox!!! My dream has not died!

I think its great that gearbox picked up DNF. Tech isn't the most important part of any game, and DNF will be fun no matter if the engine supports SM 2, 3, 4 or just uses diffuse lighting. I miss the mindless entertainment of the old days. I'm assuming Charlie had a hand in getting the IP from George, but at any rate I'm looking forward to it being released. I watched the a lot of the "hype videos" online, I have never said this before but there is just too much interaction in DNF. When I play it the first time I doubt i'm going to be going over to every hand dryer and drying my hands, and when I finish ill be playing death match and hopefully after this long it has a stable cooperative element to it.

Bottom line I want to play, so just get it done ;).

Gearbox is the coolest company in the world. Werd.

Thank You Gearbox And 3DRealms! ;) ;)

User is offline   ChrisR91 

I respect Randy and all of Gearbox for doing this for us. When I saw that Gearbox was confirmed to polish and release DNF I was filled with joy. Also I like how Randy pretty much listened to the owners of Borderlands to allow them in the Early Access Club. Just wait until the day they release the Demo, Youtube is going to go down for maintenance due to the MASS upload of gameplay videos.

User is offline   Lazaroth 

Thank you Gearbox for finishing the game I've been waiting for a century.
I remember reading about DNF in PC Gamer back in the 90's and dreaming about playing it.

However, I recognize you as the company which finishes DNF, not as its creators. I hope your finishing touches don't ruin what I have been waiting for, but rather fixes areas which might have been broken or was incomplete. Don't make me regret my thank.

Also, make sure the controls and UI doesn't suck on PC. FPS is for PC, FFS!

User is offline   Mersolo 

Thank you Gearbox for finishing the game! And thank all of the other guys on the development, such as Triptych Games. I am waiting for the release for a looooong time.

User is offline   predcon 

I haven't played Borderlands yet, but I have played Gearbox's PC port of Halo: Combat Evolved. I raise a glass to the combined talent of Gearbox and former 3DR employees, and another decade of Duke!

If it wasn't for Gearbox, DNF wouldn't have seen the light of day!

With all the troubles the 3Drealms team has gone through, I can only greatly appreciate their efforts so far.

Im just glad the guys over at Gearbox could help finish the game, and that Randy Pitchford came to the aid of George Broussard as a long time friend.

I'm sure we are all excited to see the final product and judging by the ingame footage of earlier this year, it looks pretty sweet!

Once again, thanks Gearbox and 3Drealms! Keep on keepin' on!

;)

User is offline   Goksteroo 

Thankyou George Brousard and Triptych for finishing the game in very difficult circumstances and under extreme hardship - you will probably never get the thanks and appreciation you deserve from many in the Duke comunity.

Thankyou Gearbox for making the near finished game publishable - your role has been invaluable and your assistance in getting the game polished is apreciated. Thanks guys.

User is offline   ReapeR 

Thank you Gearbox for giving me some hope =)

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options