Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox Appreciation Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox Appreciation Thread  "For reviving Duke and supporting the soldiers behind him!"

User is offline   Moonsol 

Thank you Gearbox/3DRealms for bringing us DNF <3

Thank you Yatta for DUKE4.net

User is offline   zvil 

I was 13 when i play duke 3d , i'll thank them by buying the actual game , and until then......nope.

User is offline   Zagi 

First thanks for Yatta to making this site ;) and many thanks to everybody who working on the game, and bring it to us to kick some alien ass ;) HAIL TO THE KING BABY!

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostYatta, on Oct 13 2010, 06:44 AM, said:

Seriously folks, I want a trailer just like the rest of you, and I haven't paid for Borderlands GOTY just like many of you (as much as I'd love early access), but come on. Unlike GB, Gearbox has legitimate business reasons for wanting to make things right with ESRB and their publisher in being a tad slow with media releases; moreover, the Borderlands deal bolsters profit while at the same time publicizing DNF for those who aren't in our small circle. Yes, they're a business and they're making money, but don't forget how much Gearbox paid to buy the rights to the game and revive it so us FANS wouldn't have to succumb to 3D Realms' failed management.

How is this fundamentally different from the way 3D Realms handled the game?
The trailer delay and the BL GOTY deal is as questionable (the latter IMO even more so) as anything George Broussard was responsible for over the last couple of years, the same George Broussard that's pumped millions of cash into his dream game.
Gearbox may indeed bring this game to market next year and that is something to be appreciative of, but as far as treatment of the fanbase is concerned they're following 3DR's footsteps and I find it hypocritical to simultaneously lambast one GB while borderline ordering praise for the other.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have pre-ordered DNF at my online vendor since 1998, and I have never cancelled that order because I never fully gave up on the game. I am glad things turned out as they have recently, and the Gearbox guys definitely deserve all our gratitude for finally bringing this to an end. The result may not be state of the art, but the Duke returns to the PC at long last, so I will be the last to criticise anything. Thanks to all the guys who helped reviving DNF!

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

I'd rather see the thread title changed to the Treptych, Gearbox and 3drealms appreciation thread.

It seems to me that Treptych are the ones most responsible for getting this game out to us. That they continued work on it
basically out of their garages and were able to get it to a point where Gearbox could come in and bring it together, that's
awesome.

And let's face it, 3drealms basically had *most* of the game finished before the bad news hit.

I'm so glad that George and Scott set egos aside with Take2 and were able to get Gearbox involved to come up
with the "creative" solution to the situation. If George and Scott hadn't done this, we wouldn't be talking about pre-orders
and playable demos right now. George let his baby go and everyone....EVERYONE will benefit from it. It really was a win
for everyone like he said and I'm glad he saw this. I never lost faith in him. I knew somehow, someway he'd find a way
to get the game to us. He's taken his share of grief over the years, he deserves praise in this too.

And a huge thanks to Gearbox of course! I'm still a bit sore over the PAX "reveal" and still no trailer but I do realize
they are a business first and foremost and I'm not running it. ;) So I'm ok with that.

Well said.

This post has been edited by LeviathanSM: 13 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

View Postkaisersoze, on Oct 13 2010, 12:28 PM, said:

I'd rather see the thread title changed to the Treptych, Gearbox and 3drealms appreciation thread.

I'd rather see the thread title changed to the Triptych, Gearbox and 3D Realms discussion thread.

Would be nice not to start out with a forced slant for once, be it positive or negative.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Seriously, I've gotta be one of the oldest Duke Nukem fans you'll find here on the forums. I had always thought that 3DRealms would eventually give us DNF. When things went to shit for them it was truly upsetting for me because I really wanted them to finish the game. All those years, money that was spent, the huge chunk taken out of peoples lives and the frustration of the fans who in the end, might have waited 13 years for absolutely nothing! Dukes shining light was fading fast and heading for disaster. Everything was pointing to the end of Duke and how much it's gonna suck having to face that fact.

But knowing this game was so close to being done, why and how the hell could this happen? There's no way Dukes going out like this and I really didn't give a fuck who finished it! Thats right! As long as someone did, and did it right! Someone with pride in this game to beat all games. Someone who'll deliver us the game as it was meant to be. Someone who'd do justice to the king we all hail, and have him rise up from the ashes and slammed down the throat of the gaming world who said Duke was dead! Someone who wants to see the sun reflect off that game disk called Duke Nukem Forever as it's placed into that gaming machine just as much as you and I do.
Well, God has looked down upon us my friends, That someone is Gearbox....
Hail to Gearbox, baby!

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on Oct 13 2010, 06:28 AM, said:

It seems to me that Treptych are the ones most responsible for getting this game out to us. That they continued work on it
basically out of their garages and were able to get it to a point where Gearbox could come in and bring it together, that's
awesome.

And let's face it, 3drealms basically had *most* of the game finished before the bad news hit.

I'm so glad that George and Scott set egos aside with Take2 and were able to get Gearbox involved to come up
with the "creative" solution to the situation. If George and Scott hadn't done this, we wouldn't be talking about pre-orders
and playable demos right now. George let his baby go and everyone....EVERYONE will benefit from it. It really was a win
for everyone like he said and I'm glad he saw this. I never lost faith in him. I knew somehow, someway he'd find a way
to get the game to us. He's taken his share of grief over the years, he deserves praise in this too.

And a huge thanks to Gearbox of course! I'm still a bit sore over the PAX "reveal" and still no trailer but I do realize
they are a business first and foremost and I'm not running it. ;) So I'm ok with that.

Yup, that sums it up.

View PostVinsaneOne, on Oct 13 2010, 12:37 PM, said:

Someone with pride in this game to beat all games. Someone who'll deliver us the game as it was meant to be.

The DNF that is projected to be released next year will not be the DNF that was "meant to be" in the first decade of development, this has already been confirmed by Scott Miller and probably also George Broussard.
If that initial ambition of developing "the game to beat all games" hadn't been toned down circa 2007, it probably would still be in limbo.

i would like to thank gearbox for giving us the chance to play dnf. if they hadnt done anything then someone else probably would have. but i think that gearbox are the right guys to carry on the duke games. im just worried about george. i mean he was a bit slow at making games. but the game he releases are super awesome. anyway thank you yatta too for well. this hehe

User is offline   Gordosan 

When I read 3drealms had closed and Duke Nukem forever i felt like an old friend had died.

Thank you ! Randy and Gearbox for bringing him back to life.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Thank you for keeping the best FPS character alive for the old Duke fans, and opening the door for a new generation.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on Oct 13 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

awesome.

That's exactly How I feel.

I really hope Gearbox releases MOD tools... I am a level designer and that will be my first priority after playing the game. When they release the tools I'll fully praise them. But for now, Thank you guys ;)

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

I knew Duke Nukem Forever was going to be released some how, as a big Duke Nukem fan, thank you Gearbox for reviving a masterpiece and bringing it to the light of day ;D

This post has been edited by Urukiora: 13 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

They said, one day a gaming company would rise from our ranks...and light...our darkest...hour...
Posted Image

I'm just glad Gearbox is using the build we saw leaked--that looks seriously kickass. It's like a mix between a Duke3D remake and a new game.

I have faith in Gearbox, they've been at this going as far back as Half-Life: Opposing Force.

User is offline   Doomer 

I will just ignore all the negative comments and just post my own words.

THANK YOU GEARBOX for actually making this happen. I've been a long time Duke Nukem fan since I was like 6 or 7 years old playing Duke Nukem on the N64. Fun times... Then all these years I heard about Duke Nukem Forever... I was amazed when I saw the trailer and some game-play footage on the internet. Over a decade long to make this game? It must be worth it! Nothing is better than Duke Nukem ;)

So, once again, thank you for all your hard work and this is one game that I WILL pre-order once I hear an exact date of release. I don't pre-order games much, so by me pre-ordering this one, must mean something!

This post has been edited by Doomer: 13 October 2010 - 04:31 AM

User is offline   Royboy94 

Thank you sooo much Gearbox!
You've all done a great work to save Duke!
I'm looking forward into finally getting and playing Duke Nukem Forever! ;)
Again my thanks!!! ;)

User is offline   inquisitor 

thank you for keeping the story alive!!!! keep on!

Thank you so much Gearbox !! Also prepare Duke 5 ;)
Thanks Yatta for me informed by email ;)

I was four when this game was announced so I have spent my entire conscious life waiting for this game. So to have the dream finally be realized I am very grateful. That you Gearbox and Randy Pitchford!

User is offline   L2theKING 

Thx 3DRealms, Triptych Games and Gearbox! Playing this game is gonna be one of the biggest event in my life! Behalf all the die hard fans out there, THANK YOU GUYS! ;) I just hope Gearbox/2K won't be efraid to licence their newly acquired IP to "smaller developers" like 3DR and GT Interactive where doing back in the days! Yes we want DNF but we want 3rd party duke games too! ;) Don't let us down!

User is offline   Reavantos 

Thanks Gearbox from one Duke fan. Can i still use my EB games preorder? *chuckle*

This post has been edited by Reavantos: 13 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

Thank you Gearbox! We owe 13 years of our lives to you. Or at least a beer. :3

btw Yatta you sent the PM to Pikachu but I can't access that account anymore (my own doing)

This post has been edited by Low Allegiance: 13 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLow Allegiance, on Oct 13 2010, 06:47 AM, said:

We owe 13 years of our lives to you. Or at least a beer. :3

Ah... What?

User is offline   Chiddy 

Thank you Gearbox!

User is offline   Gurty 

Many Thanks to Triptych & Gearbox for making Duke Nukem Forever happen!
Also thanks to Yatta for having a awesome community with lots of information for all those years!

User is offline   XThX2 

Wish this company the best of luck at reviving this epic game ! Hopefully, after many years we'll see it surface. ;)

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options