Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox Appreciation Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox Appreciation Thread  "For reviving Duke and supporting the soldiers behind him!"

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I just wanted to say that I really can't emphasize how happy I am that Randy stepped in. I've been waiting for more years than I can count for this game.

Not only did you save Duke, AND put the IP in much more responsible hands, but you found ways to retain the core staff.

I always knew that someone would pick up this game, but I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined that it would be picked up with the original team, as well as a great studio.

Your enthusiasm and competence will totally revitalize the franchise over the next decade, and I can't wait to see what's in store. Competence. Something that was lacking for almost ten years.

Good luck Gearbox! Not that you guys will need it of course.

User is offline   Kodama666 

Thanks Gearbox for saving the Duke!!!

User is offline   methoddan 

A big THANK YOU from Duke's biggest fan !

12 years, it's been... but despite the increasing controversy, the negativity, the fans that have given up; I still had faith in Duke Nukem Forever - always bet on Duke ;)

What pleases me by far the most is that from we've seen so far; Duke just hasn't changed. He's just how we like him.
In a time where all films are mindless remakes less good than the originals, music has gone from heavy metal and gangsta rap to electronic 'noise' and bieber crap, where (though there are exceptions) games just aren't what they used to be; where kids don't watch Robocop and He-Man, but animated japanese creatures that rip off, er, real animals; a time where health and safety restrictions and annoying campaigners have made our lived boring and mundane.... we need Duke.

This isn't just the kickass video game we've been patiently waiting for. If it sells well enough to make a big impact (and I sure hope it does, for everybody's sake), this game might just start something. The Comeback of Cool.

Back when Duke Nukem II and Duke Nukem 3D was coming out, we were listening to heavy metal, watching action-packed films with plenty of guns, girls, steroids, cool cars, explosions and general awesomeness. Duke was the best of it all, the very definition of Coolness - and that's why we need him back so badly; exactly how he was. We need to put an end to the miserable music and TV we're having to put up with - somebody needs to wake us all up, smash the door down, kick ass and chew bubblegum; and remind us what the word 'cool' really means.

Oh, and by the way, the pages to pre-order the game on Amazon and Gamestop list this game as coming out on my birthday. What an awesome coincidence - it's nearly as if Duke's thanking his number 1 fan ;)

Again, thanks ever so much, guys !

(P.S. does *anybody* know where I could find this Duke poster ? (http://www.stephenho...D_picture01.jpg) ... if not; this one ? (http://www.stephenho...NukemPoster.jpg) it would really make my day if you did; it would get the place of honour put up in the middle of the wall opposite the front door. Let me know at ibeatgodzilla@gmail.com if you can help ;)

~Dan

User is offline   Remo 

Thank you Gearbox for not letting Duke die!
Also for giving us certainty that the game will be released in a reasonable time.

PS Really enjoyed Borderlands!

Long Live Duke! (And Claptrap!, would be cool to have a claptrap somewhere in DNF).

User is offline   Stabs 

3 Cheers for gearbox & triptych! without those guys guess what you have?

NOTHING

Still thanks 3drealms, without you there wouldn't even be a duke, it would be all halo military crap ;)

But yeh thanks for not letting the duke die gearbox , I def owe you a beer!

User is offline   Johnny 

I will thanks Randy Pitchford and Gearbox and 3DRealms that DNF will coming out in 2011!!! Thank you!!! ;)

User is offline   Dagenham 

Thanks Gearbox! ;)

User is offline   necroslut 

Thanks Triptych, Gearbox and 3DR. I've always believed it will be awesome, and the footage has only strenghtened that conviction.

Thank you Gearbox Software. Duke Nukem Forever is coming out and it's all thanks to you!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you Gearbox and Randy for saving Duke Nukem! Thanks to the whole Duke team (past and present) for bringing our Hero into the modern age! You guys have done a great thing. Duke needs to kick ass and chew gum for a new generation. Thank you!

I've been waiting for this game for 13 years, when 3DR was canned, I thought I'd never get to play this game, or maybe worse, it would get leaked in some-half finished state many years in the future. That was no way to treat Duke! To actually have a proper release schedule and to see the game come alive again is priceless.

User is offline   Booflax 

Gearbox definitely deserves my thanks, as well as Triptych Games. It's a great feeling knowing DNF will be in our hands next year!

User is offline   Odin 

To be honest I'm really worried that Gearbox is going to consolify Duke (like they did with Borderlands), but to be honest it's like that saying about bad pizza being like bad sex: It's still pizza. Duke Nukem Forever, no matter who's the development team, is still Duke Nukem Forever, and hopefully it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

User is offline   caduceusnz 

Go Gearbox! Hope a 5970 will be able to run it. Otherwise might need two...

User is offline   tesafilm 

THX a lot for finishing this damn good game. I never stoped hoping :-)))))))))))))

Hail to the king baby !

This post has been edited by tesafilm: 12 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

User is offline   Rich 

Thank you gearbox. You know a good thing when you do it!

I've been waiting for this game since it was announced and I was only around 8-9 years old.
Glad to see that It will finally see the light of day, And thanks to 3DR For all their hard work, and Gearbox for going through the effort to actually release this thing.

User is offline   Kathy 

Thank you.

Gearbox - for being the main force in bringins DNF back from the dead. Bringing all parties together. Well done!

Treptych - for continuing the work on DNF without a paycheck. Because otherwise we probably wouldn't see the game in 2011.
3d Realms - for not clinging to IP and realizing that the game couldn't be finished other way in a long time.
Take-Two - for trusting Gearbox and making peace with 3dRealms. Without T2 the game would still be in copyright limbo.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 12 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

User is offline   vinwij 

Yay for Gearbox. I am looking forward to DNF, even though it won't run on my hardware. Gives me something to save up some cash for! ;)

User is offline   Massacher 

thanks a lot for the revival! looking forward to kicking ass and chewing gum ;)

User is offline   Baboy 

Duke Nukem 3D was one of my favourite games when I was a kid. Now I'm 20 and I still never lost hope. I was very sad when 3DR closed, and the year after it was not easy, but when I heard Gearbox *might* be working on it I was really happy: a great company finishing a game that should have been long finished and should be AWESOME? Sure, why not. So when the confirmation came I went mental ;) So, now that DNF is arriving, what can I say? Thank you Gearbox. Thank you for fulfilling one of my wishes, one I'm waiting for like... I don't even know how long I knew DNF really, I just remember joking about it in 2002 already ;) The company who actually revives Duke deserves all my appreciation, and while I was planning to play Borderlands before already, now I want to do it even more - need to do something while waiting for Forever ;) Keep up the good work guys!

User is offline   txtr 

hail to dehh king baby ! Still im fine with dn3d_hrp_polymer multiplayz0r ;) .. .

User is offline   scourge 

I've been busy with some things besides all this.
But Duke has been in my life since I was still young...
so naturally, when Duke got moved to the back.. and pulled back to the front by GearBox, I now owe them the thanks for what they've done and accomplished!

So without further ado: I THANK YOU!
Duke will always be a natural source for redirecting my attention to the fun of things ;)

M.v.g.
Scourge

User is offline   Raziel 

Gearbox is awesome for saving DNF, Thanks a million guys! You rock! I'll cya at the Mana Bar ;).

User is offline   Sir Tobbii 

Thank you Gearbox, for making great games throughout the years and for finally making sure well play DNF, I love you guys!

User is offline   pazsion 

awesome and ty, can't wait to play it

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Thank you Gearbox!

User is offline   AdamR 

Ah, good news ;) I rather enjoyed Gearbox's efforts on Half-Life Opposing Force and Blue Shift. I'd like to see them put their efforts in to Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Thyan 

At first when I heard that Gearbox was taking over the DNF project, I couldn't fully believe it, but already its been like 2 months since I last heard that, and, already theres more progress shown over that time, then in the last decade. I'll give Gearbox credit and thanks for not only reviving DNF, but also for re-employing those who were part of the original project for DNF. However, I hope that Gearbox and the re-employed understand that people will most likely have high expectations for the game, especially after this long, and so far, from bits and pieces of DNF out there that I"ve seen, (if in fact its the same game), then already, Im pleased. So now its just a matter of waiting for its release date and trailer to know for sure. And at the current time, I have no doubt for either one, and cannot wait. (Well I can, but you know what I mean.) So good work =D

User is offline   GDSNAB 

I wanna give a big thanks to all who have worked and still working in Duke Nukem Forever, I know how hard it is to keep things moving on in so such expensive industry, specially after so many years of development. But the hope is still alive and we still dreaming to see Duke Nukem.

So thanks Gearbox for everything

User is offline   RamzesXIII 

After 12 years of waiting, probing the internet for the smallest information, watching the 2001 E3 trailer more than any short movie on the internet, it's good to see the dream come true.

I don't want to give anyone blind praise, as I still feel quite bitter about that incredible long time of wait, and all that BS which happened after the teaser trailer in 2007 including closing 3D Realms, the company who made so many games from my childhood. I just want to say, I hope that you guys will deliver a game, which for many of us, will be an ultimate testament to great game design of original Duke 3d.

And because I know, you want to make it - wish you best luck.

Ramzes XIII

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options